Why doesn't HP enable a copy & Paste blocker for our readers?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. ziyena profile image92
    ziyenaposted 3 years ago

To make myself more clear, there are some websites that can block readers from copying and pasting entire passages of text or photos. I know this will not stop all the article theft from plagiarism, but it may thwart some because they’re too lazy to spend the time to copy by hand. They’re more likely to move on to an easier site just like ours ... just an idea since there is such a huge influx of this type of activity. 

Anyone else have something to add or feedback on this idea?

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea.  Chasing down websites that steal my article consumes way too much of my time.

2. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a great idea, too. Especially since we're now on the Maven platform, which has more professional sub-sites, such as Sports Illustrated.

With so much information available on the Internet in our current times, it would behoove the site owners to implement software that thwarts plagiarists from violating the rights of the original authors and diminishing value of the site and subsites.

Excellent idea, Ziyena!

3. Madeleine Clays profile image95
      Madeleine Claysposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is a great suggestion. I do think HP and Maven need to do more to stop these bottom feeders from stealing our work, especially since it hurts their bottom line when they don't. I go after each bottom feeder when I notice they steal my work, and I am usually successful in getting them to remove it, especially since I started to fine them.

4. gerimcclym profile image96
      gerimcclymposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Ziyena. Plagiarism is a crime, period. I am usually successful in having my stolen work taken down, but I wish HP would do more to address this problem.

5. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is a good idea. I hope it will be implemented here.

6. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

ziyena, I not only like the idea, but welcome it.                                           Very excellent and suggestive. I think also that a type of water-mark should be placed on all our publish articles on both the main site and niche sites.

2. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 3 years ago

I wish that would happen too. I just spent an hour chasing down and reporting someone on Facebook who has stolen my best performing article. She even had the bloody cheek to say at the end "It took me a long time to put all this information together, guys."

It's gone now.

Edit: Facebook are still going back and forth... they keep asking me which photo or video I am complaining about. They don't seem to understand the concept of an 'article'.

ziyenaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  I'm sorry to hear that.  You're making me think I'd better start checking mine.  Do you have any tips on how to go about that?

1. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's easy but soul-destroying.

Copy a short section of the article, paste it into Google. Check the results.

But don't stop there. Copy another section and do it again. I usually check three or more times.

There are some you can't do anything about, esp if they are Chinese or Russia sites. Some people paste it in the middle of gobbledegook for some unknown reason. Those pages can't hurt yours.

Then you find the webhost of the infringing site by going to whois.net. Then submit a DMCA, either on their own abuse form or by email. If you need help with that, come back to the forum and ask.

As a last resort, if you can't get it taken down, you can file a notice to Google to have it removed from search results.

Nice hubbers try to contact the site owner first, but I'm way past that now big_smile

ziyenaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Bev for the indepth process.  Very much appreciated.

2. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's because "the computer says no" and can't find the text or images smile Sometimes the people who process these reports don't seem to have the cop on to compare both articles and find matching content manually.

3. ziyena profile image92
    ziyenaposted 3 years ago

I'm wondering if this is wishful thinking.  Having worked in corporate with knowledge of the cost of implementing new features can get quite expensive. But, if in the long run it saves HP and its writers from headaches, losing time, money, and manpower.  Then, why not?  On occasion, I build websites for businesses and this is a practical feature. 
    I hope this might be a consideration.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

I know how to get past copy-paste blockers in 30 seconds, so I imagine actual scammers do it even quicker. And the blocker is an impediment to page-readers and translators that many users depend on.  It's a waste of resources and a bad look for any hubs where people are trying to speak about the internet or tech with authority.

5. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 3 years ago

It might help to some extent but not a solution. These copycats should be punished by disabling their copied content in internet. I think Google is already on that job once it gets a complaint.

1. CYong74 profile image96
      CYong74posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Not so much since last year. DMCAs can take weeks to attend to. Sometimes, they will revert and say they don't see enough proof of plagiarism.

6. ziyena profile image92
    ziyenaposted 3 years ago

Well.  The idea is out there.  Perhaps there's something that can be done.  Not necessarily my suggestion, but something else to help better the situation.  It's obvious by the feedback that there's a concern, and it's been passed on to the powers that be
    You all have a wonderful day
    Peace out

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)