Can a selfish person love themselves?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Gang,

Please feel free to weigh in. I'm just curious to hear what people think about the title. wink

Thank you in advance.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I...think that's all they DO love.....

Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is love or is falsified?

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dunno.

Wonder if selfishness is defined the same as narcissism?  And if narcissism is considered a disease/handicap or is by choice?

Okay.
            I'm not sure, never bothered to look up the definitions.
            It's not a handicap that I know of, so that leaves choice. wink

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Self-ish" are those ... who cannot exercise the capacity ... ironically, for no good reason ... to love others ... so they hate everything ...

The selfish are, thus, ones, who, not only cannot love anyone ...but also, hate themselves.

3. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No they do not. Selfish people don't love themselves at all, so no hope of loving others.

Agreed Earnest. smile

4. zob2zob profile image71
      zob2zobposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Surely they are the only person that they are able to love, anything more would be a conflict of interest and involve sharing which would almost immediately spark off the green eyed monster.....

5. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Often, a selfish person is the product of a family with siblings.  Someone who has learned to protect what is theirs, to not share.  Even without siblings, parents can inflict the notion that a child should 'share' everything with other children, even those the child may instinctively see as rude.  Another child grabs and mommy says, "share your toys/candy/clothes/money/time" whatever.  Give of yourself before you even know what it means to be giving, a very adult concept.  So the child grows up knowing that he needs to hold close to the vest all that he holds dear.  It can create psychological holes that only a lifetime of loving can repair.

The selfish person is often conflicted.  They love - parents, siblings, children, spouse - but do not want to give of themselves.  They are in a way, shut down.  They can learn to love themselves eventually, but this will also seem selfish to them.  It will be a conscious decision and will take years to accomplish in truth.

1. Max_Power profile image59
        Max_Powerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great answer!

1. Surfraz profile image60
          Surfrazposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes i agree with you. they have to be selfish, so only they protect their family with lots of love and care.

6. Surfraz profile image60
      Surfrazposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They love themselves very much that's why they are SELFISH..

7. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Selfish people DO love themselves.  They love themselves enough to KNOW that they are worthy & should have the best that life has to offer.  They live life on THEIR OWN terms.  They are unapologetic as to whom they are.   They respect themselves & establish boundaries.  They REFUSE to be put upon by others.  They are respected by people because THEY TREAT THEMSELVES with respect.  People see this & act accordingly.  More people should be SELFISH.  Being selfish is a GOOD, if not GREAT thing.

1. Castlepaloma profile image74
        Castlepalomaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The word selfish sounds like too much like greed. I prefer, Self-serving first.

I know people generally would worry more about their pinky being cut off than a 100,000 people killed in a volcano. They wouldn't be able to sleep all night, knowing their pinky would be cut off in the morning. Selfish, yet with some reason
        Although i would risk my life for my daughter, if she were in great danger, being ultimately selfless.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
          gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Risking your life for your child isn't selfless.  That is what parents DO.   Children are a part of us- yes, people would risk EVERYTHING for their children.  That is what it is supposed to be.

Castlepalomaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

My daughter is a famous comic and film maker. She actually has had death threats from nothing she has done wrong. They are plenty of parents would not take a bullet for their kids, that's selfish. Me taking a bullet would be literally selfless, one died Daddy minus one self.

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

About the title or about the thought?

As a title, great!  As a thought...well, no.  A selfish person only knows how to take, and love requires the ability to give and receive.

Hey Rafini, considering I'm always trying to get people to think, I would have to say the thought. As for it being a great title? Oh, okay. lol

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  well, I think you know what I mean, lol, no issues with it!  big_smile

Nice to see you and hope things are well?  smile

1. Rafini profile image82
            Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yep.  just enjoying the political unrest surrounding me every day. lol 

you? smile

Not too much, but doing well. smile

3. shogan profile image77
    shoganposted 13 years ago

It's falsified.  Selfish people praise themselves for understanding love, when really, it's self-adoration.  Love requires a depth of feeling that selfishness prohibits.

Nicely said. smile

4. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

I think the problem is that selfish people are incapable of loving anyone else but themselves, and they only hear whatever the hell they want to hear.  In fact, I used to be best friends with a guy that was so self obsessed with his own life that he would literally tell you his life story every single damn day.  If you even tried to correct him or tell him that you already know the story, then he'd upset and say that your not a good friend. 

The problem with people that are selfish is that they only care about their own needs and thinks of love as a form of it always being about them, and nothing more.  Therefore, I think your real question SHOULD be if a selfish person is capable of loving anyone else but themselves.

Interesting post.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  Interesting how though?  In a good way? Or a bad way? Sorry, I'm just curious.

Comparing your post to Shogan's post. The difference between the two is what I found interesting. It was a "eureka" moment thing in something I just learned. wink

1. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh okay. I gotcha.  Yeah, I can definitely see the difference there between me and Shogan's post.  Although another theory could be in how the child is raised since birth.

I agree. Selfish people will raise selfish children. wink

1. profile image0
                DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

not always. smile

2. shogan profile image77
            shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I played any part at all in your learning something, I sincerely apologize!  wink

In other news, we're getting close to the first game of Spring Training for the Sox, Cags.

Hey Shogan, I learn from everyone. But, thank you though. wink And, you're right- baseball season is approaching. smile

1. shogan profile image77
                shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll stop after this (no hijacking intended), but I'm just so pumped for the season!

5. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Did you really want discussion, or were you just running the title by us to see if would make a good hub title or what?  Either way is fine; just curious.  I'm picturing you giggling at us as the thread takes on a life of its own and meanders into a zillion pages....haha

lol

I'm curious about what people think about it. That's all. I had no plan for a hub, come to think of it. However, I'm sure it would make for interesting reading, depending on how it was done. wink

Discussion is good either way. If the thread get too many pages, I'm sure people will be off topic. tongue

6. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Okay. I have a little twist to add to it.

Is being "self-involved" the same as being selfish?

..I know sometimes people are so wrapped up in their own problems or situations that they just don't seem to be able to see what's happening to anyone else around them.....and maybe they would help others if they could, but they can only focus on themselves.

And that self-involvement may not be love; it could even stem from disliking one's self..

Okay.
      Interesting post. However, I have only one issue- "maybe they would help other if they could, but they can only focus on themselves"- I'm understanding that the word "focus" is with regards to financial distress. Because, anyone who doesn't help others for any other reason is selfish.

One must look out for themselves first and foremost. One's survival is a must. However, should a person do nothing to help anyone all of their life, means that they lived a selfish life.

A person who lives a Self-interest type of life, lives to better themselves, so they are always in self improvement mode.

7. AnythingArtzy profile image66
    AnythingArtzyposted 13 years ago

I think the selfishness comes from a lack of knowing how to love themselves.

I would agree. wink

8. evvy_09 profile image61
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

Selfish is defined by being devoted to or caring only for oneself. Only concerned for one's own needs, interests and welfare regardless of others.  So that seems to answer is a selfish person can love themselves.  As someone stated love requires give and take.  It's possible a person can give and take of themselves. 
    But the real question might be: can a selfish person love another person?  The term love itself is very difficult to define, since it means different things to each person. But humour me, and look up the definition of love.  Go down a little into the definitions and two of them are:  to have an intense desire or emotional attachment.  To need or require, benefit greatly from.

So just some different thoughts thrown in to stir up the pot tongue

Interesting Evvy. smile

1. evvy_09 profile image61
        evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The subject is interesting to me too.

2. Cagsil profile image69

The only word in your description would be "devoted" - that would insinuate love, but since love is pure honesty, a selfish person could never love themselves, because they never realize that they are selfish. They don't see themselves as selfish. But, their actions speaks volumes. Even, if the action is to do nothing.
      In a truly selfish extreme, it would be impossible, but to those who are selfish(not to the extreme, but in many actions) possibly could give and take, so long as it was rationalized out as some later benefit due or expected.
      It goes to show how skewed definitions are. wink

9. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

Not to but in here but did anyone mention Narcissus the Greek mini god who fell in love with himself when he saw his reflection in a pool?Narcissism,we all have some....some less...some more...^^^^

No, it was not mentioned, but Narcissism was brought up. But, the individual you speak of wasn't. Thank you smile

10. know one profile image61
    know oneposted 13 years ago

I think a selfish person thinks all others are not worthy. Deep down a selfish person must know that their own selfish behaviour makes them unworthy. This would be an unacceptable truth to them. The superficial love they have for themselves (their ego) must be conditional upon an absence of true self awareness... for they cannot truly love and give to someone who is unworthy. But to maintain this unhealthy state the selfish person must also maintain unworthiness. They actually can't win. Unless of course they become selfless... in which case they would know deep and true love for themselves.... and probably a deeper form of love from others.

smile

Nicely said. smile

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do think though, that in today's busy world where every sense of awareness is turned toward outside influences, first you need to become selfish to then become selfless.

It has been touted that for one to do a spiritual transformation (not talking religion here), is actually self indulgent.  It's a necessary phase to deconstruct the influences that have conditioned your existence - ie parents, school, piers, church, government etc.   Once you find the 'true self' underneath that conditioning, you then become selfless.  Only this selfless giving is full of a depth of love, not only for the receiver, but in turn for the giver.

Nice post. smile

2. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Jewels. True love is a doing and giving thing, one can't give something one does not already have.

11. profile image53
    ken138888posted 13 years ago

NO,i do not think so.

Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting topic

I send most of my waking hours in life, loving my job.  My mother told me I was being selfish. I said to her, times have changed, I am being self serve in order to serve others better, if you do not like your job you will not master life.

Being self serve first, is not being selfish as long as you always consider others in the process with adjusting mistakes.

Hey Castle, it's actually called self interest. I wrote a hub on it. smile

12. profile image0
    Chrisjoyposted 13 years ago

There is nothing selfish in loving yourself as until you can love yourself you cannot love another as you would not understand what love is.

First off, I didn't suggest loving oneself was selfish. But, I agree with the rest of your post. smile

13. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

I love me long time lol

14. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I believe that self love is evident in a genuine ability to give. Not something that selfishness is associated with usually. smile

15. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

After a bout of self love, you don't have to cuddle or say nice things.  You can turn off the computer and go to bed! smile

16. profile image52
    albertmgposted 12 years ago

Selfishness is way away from love.  Love begets love, so one who can love himself will definitely have love growing for others.

17. NathanielZhu profile image65
    NathanielZhuposted 12 years ago

It's because they love themselves too much that they are selfish

18. Donna Suthard profile image60
    Donna Suthardposted 12 years ago

I believe that when you are only absorbed with self, in love only with self, thats its called narcissism!
    Since everyone is a part of our self, by truly loving them, we are loving our self.
    Babies and small children live in a me world, until they are taught to love others...unfortunately, most of the world are still infants in infancy..They only care about their own ego needs....the relationships of the world have been selfish, but eventually they usually learn through pain, and thus begin a process of learning to love others....

19. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 12 years ago

I would say that a selfish person is so self-absorbed, they're narcissists. They don't think about anyone but themselves and no one matters but them.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Selfish people DO love themselves.  They also want THE BEST for themselves.  They believe that there is nothing wrong with putting themselves first.  They are the healthiest people around.  They let others know when they stand.  They aren't afraid to establish boundaries with others as to what they will & won't tolerate.  They refuse to buy into the notion of being self-sacrificing, giving, & putting others' needs before their own.  They see believe that the concept of selflessness is a form of self-hatred which is emotionally, mentally, psychologically, & even psychically unhealthy.

It is quite healthy & normal to be selfish.  Selfish isn't a bad word however our society & culture make it out to be.   People should live their best lives & have the best.  Giving to others causes others to expect handouts & make them never want to do things for themselves but wait for others to do for them.  Also giving to others causes people to take advantage.  Selfish people will never have the problem of others taking advantage of them.  They respect themselves FAR TOO MUCH!

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're saying that like it is a BAD thing which it ......ISN'T!
      http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12737911.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)