Why have Republicans Turned Against America's Military?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (35 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 2 years ago

Why?  I suggest because Donald Trump has.  He started his administration surrounding himself by what he characterized as very strong men.  Sooner or later he started realizing these generals cared more about America that they did about him.  And what did Trump do?  He went on the attack and started ridiculing them and they left, one by one until those guardrails were gone   And he hasn't stopped.  Now that he is gone, his Republican minions have picked up the gauntlet in attacking our military leadership.  It got so bad at the Sept 29, 2021 House Armed Services "grilling" of Sec Def Austin, Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Gen Milley, and Gen McKenzie, head of Central Command, that Rep Liz Cheney had to apologize to the generals for her colleagues' despicable behaviour.

https://www.reuters.com/world/top-us-ge … 021-09-28/

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre … r-n1280355

Trump and the Trumplicans have been at war with the American military now for, what, 4 years now?  When will it stop?  Will real Americans finally turn these unAmericans out of office?

My Esotericposted 2 years agoin reply to this
    2. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Again Trump?

" Republican minions have picked up the gauntlet in attacking our military leadership."

"grilling" of Sec Def Austin, Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Gen Milley, and Gen McKenzie, head of Central Command, that Rep Liz Cheney had to apologize to the generals for her colleagues' despicable behaviour."

I saw both Republicans and Democrats ask us questions about the above-mentioned.  Both sides asked very similar questions. So, not sure what you seem to have taken offense of. All three very much appeared to answer questions very honestly, and seem to concur with one another.

I came out very satisfied with both side's questions, a couple of Republicans did get bellicose. Hey, that's what's called politicking.

The hearings clarified who did what and when they did it, and how was making final decisions in the end. In my view, Sec Def Austin, Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Gen Milley, and Gen McKenzie did their job and carried out the orders as they were expected to do.  They clearly would have handled the withdrawal differently.   All they could do was give advice, it's not their fault all their advice was not taken.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/mille … withdrawal

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre … l-n1280230

"Trump and the Trumplicans have been at war with the American military now for, what, 4 years now?"

I disagree--- I have always found Republicans have very high regard for the Military, as well as for all forms of law enforcement.

I truly feel U.S. General Mark Milley, needed to answer questions about his calls to China that are in question. Not a fan of any Congressperson getting overzealous when asking questions, but both sides are more than guilty of that form of conduct.  I would hope Milley's calls to China are investigated by Congress.  Questions have been raised that require an investigation. The conversations have leaked, now we need answers., and he should have a forum to defend himself against recent media fodder. 

No putting this cat back in the bag... No way.

No, if you had read my links, you would have seen that some Republicans got down right mean and insulting.  That is why on the House side, Liz Cheney had to apologize for them, 

I didn't hear the House hearing, just read about it.  I did listen to a lot of the Senate hearing and was embarrassed by some of the Republicans.

"I truly feel U.S. General Mark Milley, needed to answer questions about his calls to China that are in question. I would hope Milley's calls to China are investigated by Congress.  " - I thought you watched/listened to both hearings.  Didn't you hear him answer those questions?  I certainly did.
        Didn't you hear him say he informed Trump and his staff about these basically routine calls?  So what is there to investigate?  I guess you put it in the same category of the insignificant election fraud.

"I disagree--- I have always found Republicans have very high regard for the Military, as well as for all forms of law enforcement." - I did as well.  But that was before the Trump era when Republicans stopped believing in America and now only believe in Trump.

Face it Donald Trump has destroyed EVERYTHING the Republican Party use to stand for.

1. Sharlee01 profile image80

I did not need to read someone else's opinion in the case, as I said I watched most of the footage. So, I obtained my opinion first hand.

Again,   I came out very satisfied with both side's questions, a couple of Republicans did get bellicose. Hey, that's what's called politicking. I did not in any respect feel anyone asked any questions that were inappropriate. These military men work for us...

"   I thought you watched/listened to both hearings.  Didn't you hear him answer those questions?  I certainly did.
          Didn't you hear him say he informed Trump and his staff about these basically routine calls?"

Trump has already denied he was notified of the two calls in question.
          Both Ratcliffe, then the director of national intelligence, and Pompeo, then the secretary of state, have rebutted that they were in the loop regarding the calls. to China.

YES,   I want an investigation in regards to who is telling the truth. 
          Milley or John Ratcliffe, then the director of national intelligence, and Pompeo, then the secretary of state. Both have given live statements on the matter... 

https://denvergazette.com/news/former-t … 339a6.html

"Face it Donald Trump has destroyed EVERYTHING the Republican Party use to stand for."

That would be your view.     I have the opinion he strengthen the party, woke them up to the reality that many, American's are done with both party's status quo.  And it was about time...  It is evident that the Republican party is stepping up to the plate... They are being very responsible as of late.  Standing very strong against the Biden's agenda, and his Build Back Better bill"... I could not be more pleased.  I feel they are keeping democracy alive, In the face of it being drowned out by the far-left ideologies.

"That would be your view.   "  - Is not just my view.  It is clearly based on tons of observations and knowledge of what Republicans used to stand for but no longer do.  How did Trump "strengthen" the Republican Party?  All that is left of the Party is a bunch of conspiracy theory believing nut jobs like MTG, Gaitz, Johnson, McCarthy, Paul, etc.  The Party has no soul because they sold it to Trump

' Is not just my view.  It is clearly based on tons of observations and knowledge of what Republicans used to stand for but no longer do."

I am always somewhat bemused how you truly feel your opinion is the"last word", that if you believe, and say it it is just the truth...  Whatever

Last I looked we had  214 Republican representatives in Congress.

I would worry more about the Democratic party as well as the Democratic president at this point. In my view -- they sure have skrewed up the county in record time...

Yes, and most of those Republicans believe Trump didn't lose.  There are a few true Republicans left - Liz Cheney and Kitzinger.

Problem is, Biden hasn't screwed up the country, in my opinion.

"Yes, and most of those Republicans believe Trump didn't lose."

Again compartmentalizing,  apparently feeling your opinion is factual.
                  Your attitude, Seems odd at best in my view.

"Problem is, Biden hasn't screwed up the country, in my opinion."
                  And you have every right to it...

My view ---   I will stick to reality, and recognize the factual problems that America is at this point experiencing, and consider how they came occurred, and are getting worse daily, and go unsolved. Actually most completely ignored by the current administration.  I wonder what will come next due to poor decision-making by this president.

"Again compartmentalizing,  apparently feeling your opinion is factual." I thought you said you read the polls.  I just take the facts that are out there and make logical conclusions from them.  When they are strong enough, I make a declarative statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/politics … index.html

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/0 … ons-435488

https://www.minnpost.com/eric-black-ink … as-stolen/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mo … biden-won/

https://campaignlegal.org/update/compil … ction-lies

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-two-thirds- … 34695.html

Different time periods different sources all tell you why my claim is factual and not an opinion.

3. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I can't really answer your question without doing further research, but it brings to mind another that has been bothering me. Why have so many of our retired or discharged military gravitated to the Republican party, and after this disparaging of the military by the Trump party, are they still going to continue doing this?

When I was in the military I was an old-school fiscal Republican.  It wasn't until social conservatives took over the party that I found more a more agreeable environment.

Because of what Republicans stereotypically used to stand for, it is natural for the military, the police, DOD civilians, and anybody else associated with "law and order" to lean heavily in that direction.  I suspect most still do - as never Trumpers.

But it is clear military leadership, by and large, have rejected Trump and his authoritarian, undemocratic platform  Rarely do retired generals and admirals talk bad about a president.  Trump has turned that dynamic on its head and many formerly silent military have spoken their mind about Trump and his dysfunction.

Even at the hearings, the three amigos clearly laid a lot of the problems in Afghanistan on Trump at the same time they were telling the world that Biden did not do a good job in the withdrawal.

2. emge profile image79
    emgeposted 2 years ago

I find your discussions very interesting because of the extreme bias which you seem to have against Donald Trump, at the same time your gloss over everything that grandfather Joe Biden is doing. I am firm of the view he's not fit to be president and should be feeding fish in the pond with his grandchildren. h
    He has no comprehension of how much damage he has done to America for the next 50 years with the chaotic retreat from Kabul. Yes, Trump was involved in the negotiations but I am pretty sure he would've backed out and taken the Taliban bull by the horns. As far as the American military is concerned they have not had a say in anything for the last many decades. If they had a say they would not have lost the wars in Afghanistan and Vietnam. Why Trump, even Biden has nothing but contempt for the military. However, I appreciate your views though I don't agree with them.

I would have to assume you would accuse me of having extreme bias against - Putin, Xi, Hussain, Hitler, Un, Muduro, Assad, etc.  The bias comes from the same place - observation (or in the case of Hitler, education).  All of these men are evil.

I 100% agree... After listening to most of the Congressional hearings with Def Austin, Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Gen Milley, and Gen McKenzie, head of Central Command... I came away with the view Biden did not listen to his top military advice on how to pull out of Afghanistan. Now it leaves me very curious of "what If' he listened, would the pullout have been more successful. I was also pleased to see these men were not going to cover for Biden and take the sword.

It certainly appears Biden did not listen to  Austin, Milley, or Gen McKenzie's advice IMO,  this indicates once again, he has proven he does not make sound prudent decisions.

"It certainly appears Biden did not listen to  Austin, Milley, or Gen McKenzie's advice IMO,  this indicates once again, he has proven he does not make sound prudent decisions." - So, it is your position that what the military says should be followed to the letter, regardless of what other forces may be at play.

"Now it leaves me very curious of "what If' he listened, would the pullout have been more successful. " - I have no doubt it would have.  If he had obeyed his military, then we would still be there, forever and ever (which, in my opinion is not a bad thing).  You may not know this, but the military is paid to provide their opinions and assessments to the president and not to order him around.  The president was elected to listen to them and many others and then make a decision.  He did just that..  The fact that I don't agree with him is neither here nor there.  He had a lot more information than I do.

"So, it is your position that what the military says should be followed to the letter, regardless of what other forces may be at play."

No, the buck stops with the president. He has every right to make all decisions. he did...   It was more than apparent he felt he knew better than his military advisers.  As I said they all were on the same page in regards to their advice to the president.   It is my opinion this withdrawal was all Biden's -- the military did their very best to advise and carry out the president's orders the best they could. It is just my view the plan was very flawed, and that's all Biden. I came to that view after hearing the accounts from the congressional hearing. At this point, I feel my opinion is justified completely.

We still have American's left behind...

You didn't answer the question that resulted from your comment - "So, it is your position that what the military says should be followed to the letter, regardless of what other forces may be at play."

"It is my opinion this withdrawal was all Biden's " - Really? LOL.  How do ignore the fact that Trump is the one that ordered the withdrawal.  [b]If saner minds hadn't interceded, there would have been no troops in Afghanistan prior to Biden's inauguration[/b[.  How do you live with yourself by ignoring such reality?   I don't deny that it has been Biden's goal forever to withdraw our forces from a never ending war his predecessors got us into.  But I don't blind myself to the fact Trump was in the process of doing just that.

" It is just my view the plan was very flawed, and that's all Biden. " - I don't disagree with you  - but not the "all" word.  Given that Biden didn't decide to surge more forces like he should have, then, because of the hand Trump dealt him, the outcome was a forgone conclusion.  I don't care what bad or good decisions Biden made, what ended up happening was investable, only the degree of badness was up in the air.  You see, I believe in cause and effect, apparently you focus only on the effect.

"You didn't answer the question that resulted from your comment - "So, it is your position that what the military says should be followed to the letter, regardless of what other forces may be at play."

I did answer it ... I said  NO...

No, the buck stops with the president. He has every right to make all decisions. he did...   It was more than apparent he felt he knew better than his military advisers.  As I said they all were on the same page in regards to their advice to the president.   It is my opinion this withdrawal was all Biden's -- the military did their very best to advise and carry out the president's orders the best they could. It is just my view the plan was very flawed, and that's all Biden. I came to that view after hearing the accounts from the congressional hearing. At this point, I feel my opinion is justified completely.

If your answer is NO, then why did you say ""It certainly appears Biden did not listen to  Austin, Milley, or Gen McKenzie's advice IMO,  this indicates once again, he has proven he does not make sound prudent decisions." ?

To restate your claim - Because Biden did not listen to  Austin, Milley, or Gen McKenzie's advice therefore he does not make sound prudent decisions.

To restate your claim another way - Biden can make sound prudent decisions. only IF Biden Biden listens to  Austin, Milley, or Gen McKenzie's advice

To me that is just like saying  "... your position is that what the military says should be followed to the letter, regardless of what other forces may be at play."

Show me why what you said doesn't mean that.

And this "factual" claim from you It was more than apparent he felt he knew better than his military advisers. - Meaning 1) he doesn't know better than his military advisers EVEN IF he has other information they don't and 2) because the military advisers know better than the president then their advise must be followed else the president will make bad decisions.

BTW, am I quoting Trump correctly here “I know more about ISIS than the generals do, believe me,” and, because he loves the military so much “They [the generals] don’t know much because they’re not winning,” - WHY is it true when Trump says that out loud and not true for Biden?

"To restate your claim - Because Biden did not listen to  Austin, Milley, or Gen McKenzie's advice therefore he does not make sound prudent decisions."

Your question ---  "So, it is your position that what the military says should be followed to the letter, regardless of what other forces may be at play."

I answered it with one word  --- NO

I then added my opinion. It is the president's opinion to take advice or not.  My opinion was he made the decision on his own, the advisers all confirmed they were on the same page. It was clearly an opinion that about Biden.      It is my opinion this withdrawal was all Biden's -- the military did their very best to advise and carry out the president's orders the best they could. It is just my view the plan was very flawed, and that's all Biden. His plan failed miserably due to his own decision-making.IMO he made a very poor decision in regard to his withdrawal from Afghanistan. You are very aware in feel he is a confused man, that should not be making any decisions.

I don't care what Trump said, he is not the current president. In my opinion, he took advice from advisors and made very sound decisions. He
                  Never felt unsafe when he was in office --- never.    I feel, Biden is not to be trusted to make any form of decision, he has proven it time after time.

"In my opinion, he took advice from advisors and made very sound decisions." - Since that statement is demonstrably false (hell, even Trump doesn't agree with you on that one), why should anybody take your opinions seriously?  I will answer my own question - because your opinions propagate a narrative that is dangerous to the well being of this country and must be challenged!

I have prior to this comment shared that I have no faith nor do I trust Biden's ability to problem solve, to make prudent decisions. --- especially in foreign affairs. His poor foreign policy recommendations long precede him. Here are a few that are well documented.

1---  “I’m getting sick and tired of hearing about morality, our moral obligation,” Joe Biden said in 1975. “There’s a point where you are incapable of meeting moral obligations that exist worldwide.” At the time, he was arguing against U.S. aid to Cambodia. But he could just as easily have said the same about his decision this year to end the American presence in Afghanistan. His very latest and greatest disaster.

2- In 1975, Biden opposed giving aid to the South Vietnamese government during its war against the North, ensuring the victory of a brutal regime and causing a mass exodus of refugees.

3- In 1991, Biden opposed the Gulf War, one of the most successful military campaigns in American history. Not only did he later regret his congressional vote, but in 1998, he criticized George H. W. Bush for not deposing Saddam Hussein, calling that decision a “fundamental mistake.”

4-In 2003, Biden supported the Iraq War—another congressional vote he later regretted.

5- In 2007, he opposed President George W. Bush’s new counterinsurgency strategy and surge in troops in Iraq, calling it a “tragic mistake.” In fact, the surge led to stunning progress, including dramatic drops in civilian deaths and sectarian violence.

6- In December 2011, President Barack Obama and Vice President Biden withdrew America’s much-scaled-down troop presence in Iraq; the former had declared Iraq to be “sovereign, stable, and self-reliant,” and the latter had predicted that Iraq “could be one of the great achievements of this administration.” Their decision sent Iraq spiraling into sectarian violence and civil war, allowing Iran to expand its influence and opening the way for the rise of the jihadist group ISIS.

7-  According to Obama’s memoir A Promised Land, Biden had advised the former president to take more time before launching the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

8-  Ten years ago, Biden said in an interview that “the Taliban per se is not our enemy.” He added, “If, in fact, the Taliban is able to collapse the existing government, which is cooperating with us in keeping the bad guys from being able to do damage to us, then that becomes a problem for us.” Indeed.

I feel my opinion of Biden's foreign-policy record speaks volumes... These very examples show something very obvious. They show a man who behaves as if he knows much more than he actually does.  A man that shows himself far too confident in his own judgment in the face of contrary advice from experts.   In my view, the overcompensating for an intellectual inferiority complex.  He has a long history of plagiarism, lying about his academic achievements, and many many things he need not have embellished on. For example, he lied about his first wife's death. Anf then this --.At least three times, the former vice president has told a tall tale about being arrested in South Africa. Four Pinocchios!  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … e-mandela/

He seems to lie just to hear himself lie.

I don't feel Biden is qualified to make decisions in any respect.  In regard to Afghanistan, he clearly did not consider Military advice, he had the legal right as president to have the final word and give the orders. He is just not intelligent enough to make a prudent decision in my view.  He has proven this time after time.

There is nothing to be gained by beating this dead horse.  You have a different opinion of Biden.  Mine is set in cement...  He has the country failing on so many counts... Makes me wonder how much worse can it get before he leaves office.  What next...

"1---  “I’m getting sick and tired of hearing about morality, our moral obligation,” Joe Biden said in 1975. " - 1) I thought you snubbed history and 2) what was the context of that statement?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)