What good is intelligence when people always assume you're dumb?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 2 years ago

Hypothetical question.    As the old saying goes if a tree falls in the woods yet nobody is around then does it truly make a sound if nobody is around to hear it?    Similar question here.  If people always accuse you of being dumb, and always dismiss whatever facts you present to them if it contradicts their narrative then does that make you a dumb person because everyone else says you are?     And what good would intelligence be if everyone thought you were just dumb?     

No this question has nothing to do with me or anyone else.    I'm just bored and thought this would be a fun topic to discuss.    If anyone else wishes to interpret it as anything other than what I just said then that's on them.    Anyways happy holidays everyone, and stay safe.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm not insulted by the truth and just adjust it if I hear too often and move along. I have a bs detector and when someone gose pass my BS detector , I first warn them, if they keep it up , then just ignore them. Knowing yourself and thinking for yourself is most important, don't let the turkeys get you down.

1. robhampton profile image91
        robhamptonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yikes!

2. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well, intelligence helps you understand the world better,and figure things out more easily. So you have an advantage over those who really are dumber than you.

If they think you are stupid, you have a super SECRET superpower.

Like STUPIDMAN!!!!
        Leading the cause of death in the world
        Able to screw up everything all the time
        Able just off cliffs of the tallest mountains

3. Sherry Hewins profile image91
      Sherry Hewinsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes it's better to hold your peace than express a thought that you know won't be accepted. Even then though, if no thought is expressed, they may assume you have no thoughts. For me, I'd rather be thought a fool than engage in debate with fools.

4. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a Jehovah Witness or are you? Anyway, enjoy the holidays and stay safe.

2. Readmikenow profile image93
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

Interesting question.

My response would be why you would care what they think of you?  That gives them power to control your feelings about yourself and your beliefs of your intelligence.  Experience has taught me the less you care what people think of you, the more they care what you think of them.

"If people always accuse you of being dumb, and always dismiss whatever facts you present to them if it contradicts their narrative then does that make you a dumb person because everyone else says you are?"

This has nothing to do with actual intelligence and more to do with emotional maturity.  If you are secure in the belief that you are intelligent, people's reaction to you should not matter.  If you let it get to you, then you are an emotionally immature person.  These are tactics that will always be done by people who disagree with you.  A good rule to remember when discussing a topic with anyone is that when they resort to name calling, you've won the argument.  This only means they can no longer defend their position and must engage in personal attacks. 

"And what good would intelligence be if everyone thought you were just dumb?"

The only person who can make you feel dumb is you.       

"Anyways happy holidays everyone, and stay safe."

Happy holidays (Holiday is a word derived from 'holy day')

1. robhampton profile image91
      robhamptonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You..Sir, have nailed it. This couldn't have been said more perfectly, only because I feel like this sometimes (worried about what others think) Thank you for your insight.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

Wise words Readmikenow
      Wish you the best and a happy holiday buddy.

I really don't have argument because they are angry discussion and angry is inefficient  When people are downing me with name calling, most often. I find they don't know me and have a great lack of facts and evidence and resort to using negative emotions outbursts. I don't mind playing the fool. The fools are able to talk to many of the kings without getting their fool heads cut off if they are wise in their delivery.

3. Misbah786 profile image84
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Such a beautiful response. Full of wisdom! smile
      Blessings to you!!

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Interesting discussion and well-answered. Happy Holy Days everyone.

4. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

Readmikenow & Sherry Hewins both gave excellent answers to this one....
    Don't let what others say bother you

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I like that. My pastor lead us to question those nonsense talkers are God!

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

+++

5. profile image0
    Vladimir Karasposted 2 years ago

First -- there is no sound in the wood if no one is around to hear a falling tree. That's because it takes an ear, human or animal, to turn the air vibration from the falling tree into a sound.
    And second -- people need others' validation, approval, and yes, praises, because they are not giving themselves enough of it. It's like we use others as a mirror for our true value.
    Since we are social beings, even when we give ourselves enough of any of that, it's NORMAL that we also seek some feedback from others, otherwise we might turn into narcissists.
    Then, the whole deal is to recognize those whose opinion doesn't matter, as they are feeding their insecurities with that need to put others down.
    On the other hand, it's good to hear a constructive criticism from those whose opinion we respect. But those are NEVER the ones who would resort to calling you "dumb".

Val
      Agree
      It's actually disrespectful nameing people low or no intelligents. When they are no better or worst than you. Everyone can do something better than the next person and vice versa.
      Disrespecting or pointing one finger at them is more often pointing three fingers back at yourself. I wish my finger pointing at billionaires bullies work,  where some would trickles back towards my way. But that would be called bribery and I prefer integrity

6. charleskikas profile image91
    charleskikasposted 2 years ago

Not calling anyone dumb. The tree falling in the woods answer really bothered me....the correct answer is: Scientifically, yes. When a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound? Just because there is no one in the woods to hear the sound does not mean that the sound did not take place. If once places a recording device in the woods and later plays the recording after a tree fell, we emphatically know that the sound occurred. Merry Christmas!

7. profile image0

Castlepaloma,
    We live in an imperfect world, and our life-orientation simply has to go selective about what will be accepted in our orbit. Losing nerve over whatever is unacceptable for us. is not life-promoting. Thus, it ultimately doesn't matter what certain human specimens think, say, and do. As long as they are not hurting us physically, to me they are just an unknown fish in the Atlantic ocean.
    It's our problem if we keep such people in our life -- and it's always good to remember that Chinese proverb:
    "We cannot prevent birds to fly over our head, but we can prevent them to build a nest in our hair."

I'm more alone this Christmas than ever, due to covid being bigger since the planedemic started.

Most everyone has some kind of addiction, the worst kind in the world, is greed. Their Totalitarianism slaves who can have their arms cut off and they will still comply . With the passion of attracking opposing views
      regardless of them making good sense.Yet
      It will all come out in the wash by faith in the humanities kindness and deep down they have the greatest strength in collective consciousness and will overcome Tyranny again.

8. profile image0

Charleskikas -- Sorry, but a wrong science. A recording device is working just like an ear, transforming the waves of disturbed air into a sound. Similar principle works in radio, which transforms the broadcast waves into talk and music. Try to hear those waves if you can without a radio. Thus, a cracking vibration  of a falling tree needs "something" to transform it into a noise. If you talk to a deaf person, his ears cannot do it, but the fact that others can hear you doesn't mean that the sound is there regardless of whether the deaf person heard it -- because we, who can hear it, are transforming it into a sound. THAT's the science about it.
    Happy Holidays!

9. bhattuc profile image85
    bhattucposted 2 years ago

Other people are free to asses us the way they want. We have no control on that. At the same time we should have our self assessment also to be done in a realistic way. When both of these converge then that could be a good situation.
    Happy Christmas time and happy new year.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)