Dengarden Articles Not Taking Off

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Is anyone finding that traffic to their Dengarden articles isn't increasing? Usually at this time of year, traffic starts to climb, instead it's either declining or staying stagnant. Views are 50% down on last year.

1. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Eugene, how do you look at a year ago versus now? I'm curious to do the comparison. HP editors just went thru Dengarden in the last couple of weeks. I'd be curious to see how/if that has affected my traffic.

eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I use GA. I'm not looking at Dengarden specifically in the stats (it may be possibly to filter them out, I haven't thought about how to do it), but a lot of my articles on the site seem to be stagnant as regards stats when examined individually, even though I updated them a month ago.
        I was thinking I explained this before, and found it here:

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/35 … 30-or-more

1. bravewarrior profile image87
          bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's way down. My top Dengarden article had 3,173 views between 1/1/21 and 3/2/21. For the same period this year, it's seen 2,645 views.

2. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

My traffic on Dengarden is down from last year, but still a significant increase from 2020.  My view is that last year, gardening (my niche) became "hot" and everyone planted gardens because they were home.  Now that people are returning to the office, fewer are gardening so traffic is not as good as last year when gardening was a big hobby.  The fact that traffic is still higher than 2020 tells me that the 2021 traffic was just an unusual blip.

So far this year, my traffic is steadily increasing as it does every spring, just not as much as last year but more than 2020 and prior years.

That sounds plausible. I'll have a look at 2020 figures and see how they compare.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

Yeah, Dengarden is a shadow of what it used to be for me. Any new material I write at the moment is aimed at other niches.

It's a pity because Dengarden used to be a great earner. It's also a home for very practical info, so you'd think it should be in HP's wheelhouse.

Traffic dropped last summer and has essentially been pretty stagnant since then.

Owlcation is just as bad. Views way down on last year.

1. GoodBrains2 profile image95
        GoodBrains2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Hello GoodBrains2 smile

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
            PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Ooops!

Yes, another one that I generally avoid writing new material for at the moment.

3. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

I wonder is it just that there's an overall air of lethargy across the world because of COVID and people just aren't very active on the Net or wanting to do any DIY/gardening?

4. ReViewMeMedia profile image87
    ReViewMeMediaposted 2 years ago

I think it'll pick up in the spring when people can go outside and do gardening, but winter is always low CPM so traffic might drop too.

5. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Yes, they seem to be comparable (Overall figures for all network sites). I'll have to figure out how to separate stats by site in GA.

It was better in the old days when Google used to give a year long graph for each keyword or phrase searched for. That graph gave an accurate picture of seasonal trends and longer-term trends for topics.

Most DIY/gardening is pretty evergreen (no pun intended!), even if it can be seasonal.

I believe that the general drop in Dengarden is not due to some abberrant seasonal thing or COVID related, but due to algo updates.

Sometimes all it takes is a drop of one or two rankings and you lose most of traffic for an article, partly because traffic numbers Vs. ranking follow an exponential pattern, and partly because you lose authority on related keywords, not just your main one.

6. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 2 years ago

When searching for companion plants for Okra, The Spruce came up number one. Somehow they are killing it across pets, gardening and I suppose a host of other subjects. 

HP needs to do an analysis, and let us know best practices to combat this entity. Their stuff is not actually that good.  We should be able to beat them, with all of our writers, we have an enormous, largely unpaid staff.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Looking at their pets site: Dogs, I notice that 80% of their articles are written by 4 authors. Similarly the gardening site is a little broader with 5 - 6 authors writing 70% of the content.

While the articles are well written, they are short on any actual useful information.  It entices you with things to do, but gives no info on how to do it.  By way of example, you should fertilize your fichus tree during the growth season monthly, but every other month in winter.  Does not say what kind of fertilizer is best or how much of it to use.

They remind me of Ehow.com which ranked highly years ago, but whose articles were pretty short and crappy really. Sometimes I think Google just likes thin content and if it's comprehensive, it gets hammered.
        They do have expert reviewers who give a sense of authority to articles. I don't know whether this is any benefit though as regards Google and rankings. I wish TAG would invest in Hubpages to provide more staff and resources, rather than just leaving things to just trundle along, which seems to be what's happening.

1. Solaras profile image95
          Solarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it seems management is treating HP and its niches like I do, passive income. lol

7. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Still no growth in traffic compared to last year or previous years. Whatever about last year being different because people were in lockdown, I don't understand the stagnation in views this year. What's probably happening is that a steady decline in views is matching the growth at this time of year and the two cancel out.
    https://hubstatic.com/15924493_f1024.jpg

In very general terms, my views are up slightly, but CPMs are still in the doldrums.

I was hoping something similar to last year would happen, but so far it's been more like 2020, unfortunately.

I don't see lockdown as being particularly relevant. There are some  obvious exceptions like, say, travel guides, of course, but I'm talking generally. Over 95% of topics that people search for, they do so whether working from home or in the office. I believe that this has been established over time.

It's impossible to assess the effects of lockdown by looking purely at HP traffic data, in my opinion, you have to cast the net wider. I think it's also better to look at trends in what is searched for, rather than traffic, which can be influenced by other factors.

My conclusion was that lockdowns had zero or very limited effects on most keywords (though there were some exceptions, of course).

8. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 2 years ago

My DenGarden views have dropped dramatically. I was notified by HubPages that one article would be moved away from the niche site due to a lack of views (and that I should update it). Unfortunately, that article is "Fall Garden Tasks" and was recently updated. It won't have great views in the spring to begin with (due to the seasonal nature of the article). Coupled with the overall drop across all DenGarden articles I have, that one might just be doomed on this platform. I hope the views recover.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)