Editors are now on Spinditty

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image89
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

Apparently, the editors are now working on the Spinditty niche site. They edited two of my articles today and I found blazing errors in each.

In my Sawyer Fredricks article they deleted a video because it's become private since I first posted. However, they didn't delete the introductory sentence to the video. I went into Author View and deleted it myself.

In my Harmonica article, they deleted a Bruce Springsteen video. In so doing, it was not congruent with the theme/layout of my original article, so I found another one to post.

If you have articles on Spinditty, please do yourself and your readers a favor and go thru the HP editors' changes with a fine-toothed comb.

1. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don’t have any articles at Spinditty, Shauna, but I have two on LetterPile that I feel should be..one about an Australian singer John English, and another about Bob Dylan. Those edits to your articles seem quite concerning, and this is especially relevant as the HubPages Weekly has a special focus on Spinditty this week

bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I saw that, John, but haven't read this week's newsletter in its entirety.

Fortunately, I was able to make the appropriate changes and they are now showing on the niche site.

The editors need to keep content and continuity in mind when they make their changes. Had I not deleted the reference to the Sawyer Fredricks video (his blind audition on The Voice) the readers would be wondering where the hell the video that I invited them to watch is!

I'm also not happy with the leading photo they chose, but I'll let it ride and see what happens.

My Harmonica article is quite lengthy. Bruce Springsteen appears at the end. For it to not have a video when all the other featured artists do, is just plain amateurish and not something I wanted to claim kin to. So I fixed it.

I also responded to the editors on both articles and told them what fixes I made to correct their errors. (Who are these people?)

Have you tried resubmitting your articles to Spinditty? I don't know if it would be beneficial while they have their sights on that site or not. It may be worth a try.

1. Jodah profile image92
          Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think by fixing the errors and letting the editors know where they went wrong you will help improve the process in future. I have considered resubmitting those articles .. but if I remember rightly I originally submitted one of them to Spinditty and they chose LetterPile saying it was a better fit for some reason.

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have problems with edits on my gardening articles.  They substitute "better" photos that are of completely different plants.  They "correct" horticultural terms.  They add "advice" that is completely incorrect.

I've stopped getting upset about it.  I just change it back and email the team letting them know the changes that I made and why.

Caren, if the editors aren't knowledgeable in a subject, they should leave editing to typos and grammar. It's good that you change your articles back to the original post, although you shouldn't have to spend the time doing so. You're a gardening expert. Obviously, the editors don't know lettuce from spinach or a rose from a marigold. Leave the details alone, editors!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

The bulk of my articles are on Spinditty, and the editors swept through them all late last year. I guess I was in mostly good shape, because they seemed to only make minor changes like fixing typos and other things I'd missed.

Over the past week or two my articles on ReelRundown now seem to be be getting the same treatment. For a while I was getting two, three, four or more of those "We've Reviewed Your Artcle on ReelRundown" emails a day.

...and literally, as I've been typing this, I just got an email saying that two of of my older ReelRundown articles have now been moved back to HubPages. Gee, thanks, I guess. (shrugs)

Wow, Keith, that sucks.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
        FatFreddysCatposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Meh, no big deal. The ones they're moving back are so old that they've got mold on them. Rather than make myself nuts trying to spiff them up and push them back out again, I might just un-publish them and let sleeping dogs lie.

1. ReViewMeMedia profile image87
          ReViewMeMediaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, they moved five of my articles, I'll spiff some of them up, I just did it for my "Code Geass Akito the Exiled" review that did need some fixes, but some of my other titles are older anime, so I might try to resubmit them later, like when they get moved over to Crunchyroll and I can add some more edits.

What is Crynchyroll?

Crunchyroll is an anime streaming website, they have anime on the site that you can watch for free or with a subscription.  The anime I reviewed is going to eventually move over to the site so I'll update and resubmit some of my articles that got moved back to Hubpages when I have a reason to update them.

I don't understand how this is in keeping with the theme of this forum post. Crunchyroll is not an HP niche site. You'd have to delete the articles from HP before adding to Crunchyroll.

No, Crunchyroll has to do with the information in my article about where the shows I review are streaming and since ReelRundown want updated articles, and some of my anime reviews are very old since I last updated them, I won't resubmit them until they have some new information about where they are streaming, mainly on Crunchyroll.

Then you're talking about linking, not submitting, correct?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94

...and the ReelRundown rejections keep on comin'. I've gotten several more emails over the past few days telling me that more of my old ReelRundown articles have been kicked back downstairs to Discover.

I guess I wasn't cut out to be the next Roger Ebert.

That's depressing, Keith. What happens once an article gets bumped back? Is there any chance of having it reclaim its place on a niche site?

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94

The e-mails recommend "editing and re-submitting it" for another shot at ReelRundown, but to be honest, the traffic they were pulling down was negligible, and all of them been tweaked, updated, and re-tweaked time and again over the years already, so doing it again probably isn't worth the trouble.

A few years back I decided to stop posting the movie reviews and concentrate my energies on my music articles/reviews, which get a better response.

3. bravewarrior profile image89
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

Ironically, I just received the "Congratulations! We've Reviewed Your Article on Spinditty and It Looks Great!" email regarding the two articles the editors snipped yesterday. Obviously the edits I made to their edits were a good move on my part.

4. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 2 years ago

The editors for Delishably have been at it too. Wish they'd direct some if that energy to restoring communication.

Linda, they've restored comments on several of the niche sites, but it's so cumbersome to find and no notifications are sent to the commenter, nor the author. That is not what we asked for when we voiced our discontent over the loss of commenting as we know and love!

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They don’t seem to want to communicate directly anymore. Matt Wells has been asking the editor of PairedLife since two months ago to email me to initiate communication about a previous HubPro edit that caused the hub to have ads disqualified. They never responded even though Matt asked several times.

That's discouraging, Glenn. Perhaps you should consider restoring the article to pre-edit form.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes Shauna, I finally had to do that. Matt reset the ads for me, but before Samantha left HubPages she said any change to the hub could trigger the problem again. So since the editor never communicated with me, I went ahead and removed all the HubPro additions that caused the problem.

5. ReViewMeMedia profile image87
    ReViewMeMediaposted 2 years ago

They hid my screenshots for my "Fate/Apocrypha" review, so I put them back.

6. ReViewMeMedia profile image87

I'm mainly talking about updating my articles and then resubmitting them, it's not really a great time to resubmit my old articles when I don't have anything new to add to them, besides maybe fixing any typos.  I decided I will wait to resubmit them when I can update and fix a lot of things before I resubmit them to ReelRundown again.

Good plan.

Not sure how Crunchyroll made its way into the conversation, though. Just know, it's frowned upon to link to an article outside of the niche in which it's posted and greatly poo-poohed to link to one of your articles entirely outside of the HP family of sites.

7. ReViewMeMedia profile image87

It's mainly about updating my article and then resubmitting it because adding information about an anime being streamed on Crunchyroll is part of me updating my articles before resubmitting them to ReelRundown.

K. Let us know how that goes.

8. ReViewMeMedia profile image87

I hope everyone else can get their articles back on niche sites.  I've never had so many articles moved back at once, especially since they were still getting traffic.

9. ReViewMeMedia profile image87

The bright side of some of my articles being moved back is they won't mess with my articles with obnoxious edits anymore, so that is a bright side of them moving some of my articles back to Discover.  I've not always liked their edits so the less they mess with my articles, the better it is for me.

10. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

The bottom line is that when there's changes with the Google algo that affect the overall traffic to niches negatively, HP are going to look at how to improve the "quality." The concept of "quality" in this case is defined by Google.

We've had some terrible algo changes, particularly last summer and December, so it's no surprise that HP are editing or downgrading some articles. Generally speaking, I welcome it, even if it can be frustrating in some instances.

In the main, the editing that's been done on my articles has consistently been very good in regard to linguistic and SEO matters. I've had numerous articles that have experienced big increases in traffic as a result.

Where there's been problems with the editing in the past, it's been related to bad content: factually incorrect material being inserted, or a basic lack of understanding of the subject matter being shown. This is annoying when it happens. (Old Roses gives examples of the sorts of thing that can happen in her comment in this thread).

I've also had some articles kicked out of niches. One has to assess whether it's worth putting in an effort to redeem them or letting them languish. Usually, I tend to do the latter, I can often see why the article might be seen as weak. It's an assessment made on a case by case basis, though.

Overall, I feel good about the work that the editors do. The positives outweigh the negatives and the work seems necessary to keep the site in the game.

Paul, for the most part, I've been happy with editor changes on my articles. However, the two that I cited at the beginning of this post were unacceptable so I had to fix the "fixes".

11. ReViewMeMedia profile image87

I'm actually going to delete and reupload one of my articles because when I first submitted the review a long time ago, the link's spelling was incorrect, I have an excuse to fix that now so I'm actually fine with one of my articles being moved back.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)