Contemporary Poetry ~ My Thoughts and Observations

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Pamela99 profile image91
    Pamela99posted 23 months ago

Take the time to read John's excellent article as he explains the differences between contemporary and modern poetry with several good examples.

https://discover.hubpages.com/literatur … servations

1. surovi99 profile image83
      surovi99posted 23 months agoin reply to this

I don't know why there are two posts on you poetry by Pamela. Thanks to her for sharing your link. Here is again my comment:

John, it was nice to know about different kinds of poetry especially contemporary and modern poetry and Instagram specific poetry. I loved the example poems as well. A very informative and enjoyable write-up indeed. I also loved reading about free form verses as well as rhyme poetry. The quotes were good too. I loved it all.

1. Jodah profile image93
        Jodahposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Hi Rosina, thank you for the great comment. I am glad you found this informative in regard to the different types of poetry and enjoyed the examples and quotes I included. Much appreciated. Take care.

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Hello John!
      Great article about contemporary poetry writing. I agree with your views and observations. The earlier times or may I say, the times of classical poetry was so much different from, what we read now.
      Basically, writing poetry has become an expression of thoughts, or release of emotions, which may not be according to the ‘rules’ of poetry. It’s not only in English, but in other languages too. But, it seems that people are ok with it, and enjoy writing or reading such poetry.
      I believe, that such things have happened, not only in the field of writing, but many other fields. Whatever makes you feel good is acceptable, irrespective of whether they are in accordance with the rules of the society, traditions, culture or not.
      Times have changed, for sure.
      Honestly, I am not a regular poet, but I try expressing sometimes.
      We all know about your wonderful work, and your ability as a poet.
      You are doing great work, and keep it up.
      Thank you for this thoughtful analysis.
      Thank you Pamela, for sharing John’s article.

1. Jodah profile image93

Hi Chitrangada. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on how poetry has changed and the possible reasons for this. I have to agree with your observations. I appreciate your kind words regarding my poetry as always.

2. Pamela99 profile image91
    Pamela99posted 23 months ago

This is a very interesting article John. I find I agree with your views. I loved the examples you provided as I learned so much from your article.

1. Jodah profile image93

Hello, Pamela. Thank you for starting a thread for this one. I am pleased that you found this informative and that the examples were helpful in  demonstrating my points.

3. Stephen Tomkinson profile image92
    Stephen Tomkinsonposted 23 months ago

Excellent piece, John. Yet somehow, Smith's poem touches me more deeply than the one by Siken - although I get your point.

1. Jodah profile image93

Hi Stephen, thank you for reading and commenting on this piece. I wasn’t suggesting that Smith isn’t a good writer, and her poem certainly had feeling, but in my view it was more prose than poetry. Many will disagree with me of course. Have a great weekend.

4. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 23 months ago

John
    This ia a great article.

I believe I am a contemporary poet for most of my work does not consist of rhymes.

I must admit, sometimes my work starts out like prose.   Just a simple paragraph or two and then I edit it down.
    Especially those ones that keep me awake at night.  I grab my phone , turn on word, and press the microphone.  Then I turn it into a poem the next day.

On Instagram I saw a poet use video and recite her complete poem with the actual words scrolling across.

I'd like to try that one.  Let's face it...Instagram is a challenge.  At least for me.  I haven't quite got the hang of it.

I honestly believe we can write in different formats if we choose to do so.
    But usually my free verse comes naturally.   Other work like rhyming takes a bit of thought.

I enjoyed the read.  Thanks Pamela for sharing this one.

1. Jodah profile image93

Hi Brenda, I am glad you enjoyed this article. I am perhaps the opposite to you. Rhyme comes more naturally to me and always has.
      Sometimes I feel like a bit of a dinosaur because of it, so I make a special attempt to right a prose or free verse poem. But, I always find a rhyming stanza slip in and have to deliberately try to change it so that it doesn’t.
      I do know that a number of my readers have said they have a preference for poems I have written that didn’t rhyme so it gives me a good challenge, but doesn’t come natural.
      That Instagram example you gave of the author reading her poem as it scrolls across the screen is excellent. I am still learning how to use that platform effectively.

1. Brenda Arledge profile image80
        Brenda Arledgeposted 23 months agoin reply to this

John..
        If i figure that Instagram post out...i will let you know.

5. Misbah786 profile image84
    Misbah786posted 23 months ago

Very interesting article, John. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Most of my poems, I believe, do not rhyme well. Most of them are free verse, though I try to make them rhyme  sometimes. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and observations on this topic. Any words that touches the heart and soul, in my opinion, are poetic. But I have to admit that I love reading rhyming poems more. I love reading your poems, and I seriously miss poems from the porch series. Thank you for creating this lovely hub. Thanks also to Pamela for sharing.
    Take care and enjoy your day.
    Blessings always!!

1. Jodah profile image93

Good to see you Misbah. I hope your injuries are healing well. I appreciate your most generous comment.
      Your poetry is wonderful, and it doesn’t always have to rhyme as it always has a rhythm and pleasing flow. I think that is important.
      As you say, any words that touch your heart and soul can be poetic.
      I have actually been going through my unfulfilled requests from ‘Poems From the Porch’ and considering resurrecting the series, so let’s just wait and see. Blessings to you as you continue to recover.

1. Misbah786 profile image84
        Misbah786posted 23 months agoin reply to this

Yes, John, the pain is getting better. It's the fifth day, and they'll hopefully remove the stitches from my elbow on Tuesday. However, the fracture is still very painful. They say it can take up to a month to fully recover. Thank you for your well wishes. I always appreciate your kindness, my friend.
        Blessings always!!! smile

2. Brenda Arledge profile image80
      Brenda Arledgeposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Awe...you like rhyming poems   
      Sorry...it's not my muses first response.

No problem though.

Love
      Bredz

PS...glad to see ya back

1. Misbah786 profile image84
        Misbah786posted 23 months agoin reply to this

No worries, Bredz.. I also find it tough to make rhymes at times. But, as I previously stated, any words that can touch the heart and soul are poetic. I really enjoy reading your work. You greatly help all of us in sharpening our creative skills by providing us with word prompts.. a big thanks to you... smile
        Please don't forget to keep me in your prayers.
        Love and Hugs to you too. smile

6. Jodah profile image93
    Jodahposted 23 months ago

Love your work too, Brenda smile

7. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 23 months ago

This is a fun lesson in contemporary poetry. John's work in every category is excellent. Thanks for helping us to understand and appreciate the treasures you share.

1. Jodah profile image93

MsDora, your comments are always most welcome. I am glad you found this article fun and informative.

8. ravirajan01 profile image94
    ravirajan01posted 23 months ago

This is a good lesson on Contemporary Poetry and modern poetry and the differences between the two. Thanks for explaining with some great examples. I especially loved the beach one that you posted on Instagram.Thanks for sharing, John

Thanks, Pamela, for posting John's work.

1. Jodah profile image93

Thank you for reading this, Ravi. I am glad it was a good lesson on the difference between modern and contemporary poetry, and that you liked 'God Created Beaches.'

9. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 23 months ago

Hello John!
    Great insightful article about contemporary poetry! I agree with your observations and the way you have explained with examples!
    I had read this article earlier and commented as well, but somehow I can't find my comments!
    Anyway, thanks for creating this excellent and informative article!
    Thanks to Pamela for sharing this in the forum!

1. Jodah profile image93

Hello Chitrangada. Your previous comment just appeared! It happens to me sometimes as well - I post a comment, and it doesn't appear for some reason. I wonder if I forgot to hit 'submit.' Thank you for posting an additional comment anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)