Praying And Confessing Scripture

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. yolanda yvette profile image60
    yolanda yvetteposted 14 years ago

As a Christian, what is your viewpoint on praying and/or confessing God's Word?  Is it something you practice?  Have you or someone you know experienced the miraculous as a result of praying or confessing scripture?

1. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always just start my prayers like it says in Matthew:

{6:5} And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the
      hypocrites [are:] for they love to pray standing in the
      synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may
      be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their
      reward. {6:6} But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy
      closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father
      which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall
      reward thee openly. {6:7} But when ye pray, use not vain
      repetitions, as the heathen [do:] for they think that they shall
      be heard for their much speaking. {6:8} Be not ye therefore
      like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye
      have need of, before ye ask him. {6:9} After this manner
      therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed
      be thy name. {6:10} Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done
      in earth, as [it is] in heaven. {6:11} Give us this day our
      daily bread. {6:12} And forgive us our debts, as we forgive
      our debtors. {6:13} And lead us not into temptation, but
      deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the
      power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. {6:14} For if ye
      forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also
      forgive you: {6:15} But if ye forgive not men their
      trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

PS: I don't stand in my closet.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Word says it,  so YES, I believe it!
      One of my sisters was healed of glaucoma as she prayed for someone else.    And I've heard of people, like you,  who've stood on the Scriptures with awesome personal results.

I don't recall ever practicing it myself for my own personal healing or well-being.
      But I do practice it continually in having Faith that my lost family members will eventually turn to the Lord.   The Word says if children are taught right,  when they're old they won't depart from it.   So my Mother and I both pray often for the salvation of several of my brothers,  with the confidence that God's word is true and will come to fruition!    We know, however,  that each person makes a choice,  and that some do not always make the right one;   but we also stand on the Word that God makes all things work for the good of those who love the Lord!

So...I guess, for me to say that I pray specifically for one thing to happen at a given time, isn't what I normally do.

And the danger is in "using" the Word like a formula or a magic tool!   Because that's not how it was meant to be used.    There are little books in publication about how to use the "Prayer of Jabez", etc.,  as a kind of formula for anyone and everyone....again, it doesn't work that way,  even though Charismatic churches are making fortunes touting formulas of that kind.

But Amen to the Bible,  to Jesus (the Word in the flesh),  and to the Almighty,  who gives us the hope of salvation.
      Just be careful, as I said, about trying to formulize it or Him.   He's not a magic genie.   He is the Almighty;  HE is the one who "makes things work",   not us.

2. Matthew_Crumbley profile image59
    Matthew_Crumbleyposted 14 years ago

Are you saying praying scripture?

I personally think it is really cool when you have studied God's word enough to be able to pray it back to Him (as long as you mean it). I have never experienced a miracle happen from it, but confessing it has helped me get through many temptations. I think it is a great thing to do.

I do believe some of my friends have actually seen miracles occur through them by praying scripture. I am gathering more information about it, but that is what my latest (and first) hub is about.

3. yolanda yvette profile image60
    yolanda yvetteposted 14 years ago

Thank you for your comment, Matthew_Crumbley. 

I have personally experienced the supernatural power of God at work in my life through praying and confessing His Word.  And to this day I am experiencing His power through The Word. 

It is definitely necessary to pray and confess The Word, in faith, in order to get results. But the true power in confessing and praying The Word of God lies in doing it on a consistent basis.

Almost a year ago I was bedridden with a hurt back.  I was in constant pain for almost a month.  No medication eased my suffering.  I was depressed and hopeless and even felt abandoned by God at times. 

I lay in my bed wodering if I would ever recover.  I tried to confess healing Scriptures, but because of the great physical pain I was in, I didn't even feel up to confessing The Word. 

Then one day I realized that I could be healed if I would begin to confess The Word and do it consistently, regardless of how I felt.  I started speaking the Word over and over, believing to be healed.  The next day I did feel better, but I was still in pain.  I kept right on speaking The Word, in the midst of my pain, and each day I was better.  Within a few days after I started making my confessions, I went from being bedridden and in non-stop pain to being healed and able to return to work.  Praises to the Most Hgh God!!!

I told everyone who knew I had been ill what the power of God's Word had done for me.  I wanted them to know what the Word could do for those who believe it and confess it.

Even to this day, the Word is still working on my behalf.  I have experienced financial miracles by confessing God's provision.  I have experienced supernatural protection by confessing His Word.  I have gone from being jobless to working in a business I have wanted to be in for years.  I have seen doors open that I did not open on my own.  I have had my pets' healed from serious illnesses.  And many, many more blessings. All by confessing The Word.  It will WORK for us, if we'll WORK IT.

HALLELUJAH!!!!

4. Evolution Guy profile image59
    Evolution Guyposted 14 years ago

Yet another preacher pretending to ask questions so she can SHOUT THE WORD. sad

What is it that makes you think lying to spread the BS is OK? I mean - seriously - you asked a question with the sole intention of PREACHING THE WORD. What do you not get about people being sick and tired of listening to it?

She posted it in Religion and Beliefs, is that not the right place to preach the word?

We'll pray for you to Guy.  You can read along also if you like.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
        Evolution Guyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. These are discussion forums - not a pulpit.

"Please note that advertising and promotional posts in the forums will be deleted and may result in the closing of your HubPages account."

I don't really understand how the above quote applies.  The OP is not advertising or promoting a product.  Additionally, the OP is a discussion topic on how we pray.

OK - LOLOLO

You do not see how "christian religion" is a product? lol

And no - she was not inviting discussion.

But - I understand that the most important thing in your life is preaching the word.

Which pretty much over rides any other considerations - so - go ahead and preach. It does not really matter that there have been numerous discussions about how annoying it is to be preached at over and over and over on these discussion forums which are not a pulpit.

The Word is more important than that. wink

My point is that the topic started in the All Forums-Religion Beliefs- Christianity-Christian Living-Praying and Confessing Scripture.  Your above comments have nothing to do with what I personally do or do not believe.  Just because you perceive the Christian religion as a product, doesn't mean everyone else does.  Hub pages has a dedicated space for the discussion, so obviously your opinion doesn't quite mesh with the cited quote.  Lastly, the topic is not how to preach the word, but how we pray or confess the word of GOD.  However, we can start a new topic on How to preach the word if you like.  So how do you pray Guy?

Pray? - I grovel to no imaginary friend. Sorry dude.

You missed my point entirely though.

Starting a thread asking a question with the sole intention of stating what she stated is not a discussion:

"I have personally experienced the supernatural power of God at work in my life through praying and confessing His Word.  And to this day I am experiencing His power through The Word.

It is definitely necessary to pray and confess The Word, in faith, in order to get results. But the true power in confessing and praying The Word of God lies in doing it on a consistent basis.

Almost a year ago I was bedridden with a hurt back.  I was in constant pain for almost a month.  No medication eased my suffering.  I was depressed and hopeless and even felt abandoned by God at times.

I lay in my bed wodering if I would ever recover.  I tried to confess healing Scriptures, but because of the great physical pain I was in, I didn't even feel up to confessing The Word.

Then one day I realized that I could be healed if I would begin to confess The Word and do it consistently, regardless of how I felt.  I started speaking the Word over and over, believing to be healed.  The next day I did feel better, but I was still in pain.  I kept right on speaking The Word, in the midst of my pain, and each day I was better.  Within a few days after I started making my confessions, I went from being bedridden and in non-stop pain to being healed and able to return to work.  Praises to the Most Hgh God!!!

I told everyone who knew I had been ill what the power of God's Word had done for me.  I wanted them to know what the Word could do for those who believe it and confess it.

Even to this day, the Word is still working on my behalf.  I have experienced financial miracles by confessing God's provision.  I have experienced supernatural protection by confessing His Word.  I have gone from being jobless to working in a business I have wanted to be in for years.  I have seen doors open that I did not open on my own.  I have had my pets' healed from serious illnesses.  And many, many more blessings. All by confessing The Word.  It will WORK for us, if we'll WORK IT.

HALLELUJAH!!!!"

RUBBISH!!!!!!

This is not a discussion. This is preaching. This is not a pulpit. Selling your product is not what these discussions are for.

But - like I said - go ahead and preach. That is far more important. Doesn't matter how many people complain about the ongoing attack by preachers here to spread the word. You go ahead. Great.....

I originally understood the point you were trying to make, and I still disagree.  The OP proposed three discussion questions, got a response, and shared an experience.  Unless you are somehow physically connected to yoland's mind, you cannot certainly say why she originally posted what she did.  What you have addressed is an assumption, and everyone knows what they say about those. You are still welcome to share your praying, or professing experiences good or bad.

2. Lady_E profile image62
                  Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yolanda shared a nice, personal story and it wasn't "Rubbish"!
                  She simply asked a view point and wasn't preaching.

2. Matthew_Crumbley profile image59
              Matthew_Crumbleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First. I don't think she was preaching. She was sharing an experience, and seeing what other Followers of Christ believed.

Second. I would have to hate someone not to share Christ with them. It is like having the cure to a life threatening disease and not giving to those who needed it. Does that makes sense? You have to be a real jerk not to share the gospel.

Here is Penn (atheist) talking about it. I don't think very highly of him (he hasn't studied the Bible very well from what I can tell in this video), but he has a point.

http://isaiah543.wordpress.com/2008/12/ … elytizing/

Sorry it is from a Christian source.

5. Evolution Guy profile image59
    Evolution Guyposted 14 years ago

So - all the religionists agree that stating this:

"I have personally experienced the supernatural power of God at work in my life through praying and confessing His Word.  And to this day I am experiencing His power through The Word.

HALLELUJAH!!!!"

Is not preaching.

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No preaching the wurd a' Jeebus Here. lol lol

I mean. Really,,,,,

I think you may be confusing the words preach and confess.  These are from Webster.

Preach:
      Main Entry: preach
      Pronunciation: \ˈprēch\
      Function: verb
      Etymology: Middle English prechen, from Anglo-French precher, from Late Latin praedicare, from Latin, to proclaim, make known, from prae- pre- + dicare to proclaim — more at diction
      Date: 13th century
      intransitive verb
      1 : to deliver a sermon
      2 : to urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action; specifically : to exhort in an officious or tiresome manner
      transitive verb
      1 : to set forth in a sermon <preach the gospel>
      2 : to advocate earnestly <preached revolution>
      3 : to deliver (as a sermon) publicly
      4 : to bring, put, or affect by preaching <preached the…church out of debt — American Guide Series: Virginia>

Confess:

Main Entry: con·fess
      Pronunciation: \kən-ˈfes\
      Function: verb
      Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French confesser, from confés having confessed, from Latin confessus, past participle of confitēri to confess, from com- + fatēri to confess; akin to Latin fari to speak — more at ban
      Date: 14th century
      transitive verb
      1 : to tell or make known (as something wrong or damaging to oneself) : admit <he confessed his guilt>
      2 a : to acknowledge (sin) to God or to a priest b : to receive the confession of (a penitent)
      3 : to declare faith in or adherence to : profess
      4 : to give evidence of
      intransitive verb
      1 a : to disclose one's faults; specifically : to unburden one's sins or the state of one's conscience to God or to a priest b : to hear a confession
      2 : admit, own <confess to a crime>
      synonyms see acknowledge

Semantics. Well done. No preachin' the word 'a' jeebus. Confessin' be diffrent.

lol

Which one of these means discuss?

Seeing as these are discussion forums - where we neither

preach nor confess.

Or is that too hard for you to understand - or respect?  Because the wurd be more important than respectin' the rules or other's opinions. ?

You will have to take your "semantics" up with Webster.  I have only stated facts.  Your opinion is respected, but empty.  We are discussing how we pray, or confess the word of GOD, and you are more than welcome to join us.

Main Entry: se·man·tics
          Pronunciation: \si-ˈman-tiks\
          Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction
          Date: 1893
          1 : the study of meanings: a : the historical and psychological study and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors in linguistic development b (1) : semiotic (2) : a branch of semiotic dealing with the relations between signs and what they refer to and including theories of denotation, extension, naming, and truth
          2 : general semantics
          3 a : the meaning or relationship of meanings of a sign or set of signs; especially : connotative meaning b : the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings

OK - you are not preaching.

I give in. You win - this is not a question:

As a Christian, what is your viewpoint on praying and/or confessing God's Word?  Is it something you practice?  Have you or someone you know experienced the miraculous as a result of praying or confessing scripture?
            And thyis is not preaching:
            I have personally experienced the supernatural power of God at work in my life through praying and confessing His Word.  And to this day I am experiencing His power through The Word.

HALLELUJAH!!!!

Just a discussion. Not preaching at all.

I Leave you now to not preaching.

Does not matter how offensive this is. You are right - you should be allowed to use these discussion forums to not preach. Who cares?  The Wurd Is More Important than what I might think. Or anyone else might have complained about.

I leave you in peace to your "discussion".

Discuss = same as preach or confess. I bow to Websters....

Well done.

1. profile image52
              PastorPribbsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As a ministry student, I believe that every place is a place for preaching. I am not saying get off on a huge tangent and infringe on others' rights. But we Christians are called to profess, confess, and defend the Words of God at any and all times. If we are to ever hear others and listen respectfully we need to stop getting into arguments over semantics and stop getting offended by ANY one of ANY faith expressing their opinion or testimony when they see fit or deem necessary. It is possible to respect one another while disagreeing. It is also possible that (in a forum such as this) not every post will be of import to everyone.

1. earnestshub profile image80
                earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why don't religionists preach all of it, instead of selecting only text that supports their particular sect.

I haven't seen this used to support the sky fairy yet.

"Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord."   (Colossians 3:22 NAB)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)