How much of a money gift would it take to inspire you?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (127 posts)
  1. Deborah-Lynn profile image61
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

Originally the Question was "Someone just gave you a thousand dollars, how would you spend it", but the answers lacked a bit of inspiration, it was brought to my attention that $1000.00 isn't inspirational...most would use it to pay bills, etc.  so think bigger...how much money would it take for you to truly make a difference...be specific, and what would you actually do?

How much Money and what would you do to make a difference?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi Deborah-Lynne--- no matter what the amount is, it will make a difference to me because it is very hard to give money nowadays specially for those who are working (hard earned money), I will just be thankful, a ten dollar can buy me a pen and a stationary to write somebody or just to write my thoughts...It is always the thought that counts...

Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the thought counts, but would you have a goal to change something in the world, what if you had the money you needed to do it?

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63

I need 5,000 a month.Yes, I will feed the children here in my neighborhood on weekend. I need 200 dollars for that every week and then I will give the rest to the orpahanage in Tanzania and Zambia, then I will donate some to CDC for the research about the cure for AIDS.

Ok, so your really rolling now, how will you ensure the money is going exactly where it is needed, how much money do you need to go to Tanzania and Zambia, do you have others in your life who would also go with you, who do you trust to be by your side doing, fulfilling your vision?

I will just visit zambia first then tanzania, I will visit the United nations locally there and then entrust them the money. Soem staff will be in charge of this there then of course they will submit disbursement, and the staff are going to be paid a little token..

Ok, when you want to trust people with your own vision, it is only human nature that you have to pay them well to keep them from risking your vision and letting it become their own vision which would deviate from the true goal you have set....so I would suggest you pay your trusted support staff really well, you have the money, ensure your hard work isn't for nothing.

You have started on the road to accomplishing this important work, you have people to trust, now you are still there, what do you want to see happen?

I want to talk to local authorities, pay them a visit (the place where the orphanage are located and talk to the people in charge of the orpahanage. I will bring the support staff so that they will be introduced to each other. I will give them my email address, communication, progress report, then I will visit the children there and really look at the situation. I will come back again quarterly to tanzania and zambia to spotcheck..

Excellent...what would you be looking for in the children, and the staff of the orphanages?  How would you motivate them to increase their standards of care?

You can also give them some incentives like money so that they will be motivated to raise the standard of care. You can actaully know if the money you are sending is being put in proper order if you spotcheck. Or else you are going to contact a representative from UNDP -United antions development program and they willl surely assist you in evaluation of your project.

2. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

What would you tell the United Nations, how would you persuade the diplomates that you can be trusted?

3. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

Additionally, a note to a person when he/she is on their last nerve or losing their will to keep on saves a life to be sure, now what else can you do, even with more money than you've ever had, what do you contribute to to make a difference with your skills, gifts and resources?

2. profile image0
      Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I want to go to college and med-school, 10 grand would go along way towards that. Writing is fun and I'll keep it up, but I want to help people that's why I got into writing to begin with, to give advice and counseling. It's tough as a high school senior there were all kinds of scholarships available and being offered, but now I'm pretty much on my own YIKES!!

Scott, I see you are ambitious, but maybe you are not on your own, if you are willing to weed through the scammer stuff and get to the real government grant pages, you will find many scholarships and free money newly availble to US citizens...geez I forgot to ask if you are...specifically if you are willing to use your new medical degree to assist government programs for a few years as repayment for the education monies!

Scott, honestly, there is money set aside for ambitious students, the only catch is you have to succeed, sometimes if you take the award money, but do not finish your degree you have to repay the government, so be sure you are ready and then go for it.  First step, google grant money but avoid any URL addresses that are not actual gov. addresses, they are going to want a fee for doing the very same steps you can do yourself for free.

2. R P Chapman profile image59
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

I think of money as more of a general tool and not particularly inspiring in itself. For example, were you to give an aspiring young chef the gift of $1,000 he or she might spend it on rent, looking after an ill relative, or some other necessity. Alternatively, were you to gift a set of highest quality knives, it would inspire them to fulfil their dream.

You can make a difference with any amount of money, from giving a homeless person a warm drink, to building a new hospital where people need one.

Yes, not to negate the value and quality of a well placed $10. bill at a time of great need, I am trying to get to the heart of peoples' ability to make more permanent changes, like you said, a hospital, or a water system, or electricity, or a shelter for battered wives....what would you put your life's effort into if you had the right money to get it done?

Ok, today you set up a way to be sure no homeless person goes thirsty, how would you accomplish this?

3. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

No matter the amount, I still stand with what I said for $1,000, I believe giving it to the Food Shelf was my first thought on that forum post, to me, that would make one hell of a difference to a lot of people.

Your are soo right Jane, $1000. could feed families help many children, for how long?  Now you have another check, larger than life in your mailbox...what else can you do?

4. Gemsong profile image63
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

Ten grand? Well that's different.. Let's see... I see a vacation in my imagination. I see a weekend in NYC. Broadway show. Of course I need a new hair cut. And clothes. Must have the right clothes. And we have not forgotten the shoes. And the pampering... massage by gorgeous hunk. I'll fly first class of course.....

Is that better?

OK!  Now you are rejuvenated, you feel like your needs have been met and you have all the money you need, next step...pick a cause and apply your talents and money to right a wrong, protect, defend or build something...be INSPIRED in a most magnificent way....what??? (Be better than Oprah...if that is possible?)

1. Gemsong profile image63
        Gemsongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well since you're throwing more money at me the top of my list would be revitilzing (I know I can't spell) impoverished neighborhoods. Get the kids to take part and off the street. In the process some useful job skills at the same time. I could start a company with this exactly purpose. Hire the local to help improve their neighborhood and the they would go to the next.

Just a thought. I'm not Oprah. Giving away cars doesn't help stuff.

Good!  Your catching the whole purpose here, I'm glad you are not Oprah...you have the sense of purpose to change things, a car gets old, an education, training keeps the improvements going on through generations.  So you pick neighborhoods to reviltilize, which ones, how do you decide, who do you trust to help you?  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

I would start small and locally of course. I would need to earn trust if I was going into a new neighborhood. I would have to be careful because everyone has a sense of pride. Start with mowing lawns and sweeping sidewalks. In winter clear sidewalks I snow and ice. Ge to know the people and what they need.

Excellent point Gemsong,  you are truly a woman of wisdom, so who do you look for in these neighborhoods, steadfast, trustworthy?  How do you build a positive network in each neighborhood?

I would start with the elderly as they need the most help. Like my neighbor. My husband mows her law regularly. She pays him what she can. It's not much but it makes her feel better. And she tells her friends. Build the initial network with them in the community. In many cases they have children and grandchildren living with them. Draw them into the projects and pay them. They do the work and get paid for it. Word gets around. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Yes!  These people are your foundation, they are valuable to your future goals to help them and others help themselves, but the bad side of the picture now is there are evil forces at work trying to prevent you from succeeding, they don't want change, or they may want to keep a choke hold on the desperation
                  of the people who live in hopelessness...how do you protect and defend?

That would be tough, but not impossible. The neighborhood probably already has that element. Ideally the infrastructure itself would act as a deterent or a self policing force. Then numbers make a difference. Supporting their efforts to maintain and protect working with the police would make a difference. Give people the right resources, support and back up and they will protect themselves much more effectively than a stranger coming in to 'fix' things without knowing the roots of the problem.

You mentioned getting te kids off the streets, how do you actually plan to accomplish this, it is true it needs to happen...how do you connect with them?

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

If someone gave me money, I will dream a bit and say the amount is 100 Million.
    I would first pull together all the research I needed.
    I would contact major philanthropists like Bill Gates, to arrive at the best place to spend that little bit of money.
    I would then distribute the money, and follow it myself, managing projects where I can to keep the cost of giving the money away to minimum waste.
    I would look to feeding children and supplying free medical help as the first area to investigate. smile

Wow earnest, you are really getting this...ok, feed children, monitor the funds...I suspect because evil organizations will attempt to target your efforts to bring relief and steal from the needy, how would you handle that?  You have more money to help stem off the waste, what comes next?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would learn from those who know. smile
        I would talk to Bill Gates, his dad, the red cross and others who have the experience to avoid the skimmers!
        I believe the Gates family and others would provide the information and assistance for free. smile

Truly...what are the Gates doing toward your goal of feeding children right now, can you research your belief on this,  follow up...are the people with the money truly helping the way you would want to if you had the cash yourself?   Give me some of your own priorities?

I have followed the work of the Gates Foundation since it's inception.
            Giving away money is a difficult job requiring expertise the Gates Foundation have already learnt.
            Africa has been a focus for Gates because of the urgency of stopping the spread of diseases by providing mosquito nets etc.

My own focus is on feeding the starving children as fast as possible, while building infrastructure like clean water and good shelter, schools etc in the poorest areas first, employing locals whenever possible to build it.
            I would use my many years of business experience to build small businesses for locals to own in local areas to provide many of the essentials.

How great is this!  Would you go there, would you bring trusted people along side you that would work out your own vision as if it was their own?  How can you accomplish this first hand?

I would video conference as much as possible, but yes I would go there and work myself. I would fly alone and count the carbon.
                I would assemble a team on the advice of those I have mentioned, and from wherever country I found them.

I would personally want to know that the team were all top communicators and technologically  smart with how they communicate to keep this potentially time and money consuming wasteful areas under control throughout the projects.

Apppropriate use of resources and prevention of waste is very important to you, but even that your general plan sounds "do able"  let's face up to the hard stage...taking more specific steps to ensure it's your own solid vision and you protect that vision from being watered down by half-hearted, unmotivated associates...how do you ensure against this?

This is the part where I excel! Keeping an honest team together is a passion of mine. I have managed many teams successfully the key to it is to be generous of spirit yourself and seek the same in the others.Allow them to be their best selves.
                    Passion and good psychological profiling would need to work hand in hand at first, but the team would soon attract the best with the most passion.
                    This idea is a wonderful vehicle for those passionate about feeding children. smile

Great quality thinking, but in the planning, how do you ensure that your good communicators are not just jockeying you around for their own purposes,  you have to have a hold on these people to keep them honest and in your court...how do you ensure their loyalty to your vision?

What else is needed?  You must have commercial organizations that will provide construction materials and transportation, honest shippers and hauwlers, that make sure the products reach their destinations...high cost of security these days you can vet your own employees but when it comes to crooked officials and governments, terrorists and rebels..how do you circumvent that?

I would use infrastructure that others had succeeded with, and not try to vet the delivery mechanisms myself. If others have successful systems I would need to have management that can copy the methods and find new ways to deliver, so local knowledge would be needed in each case as well.
                  Not logistically impossible, but very difficult I would imagine.

Sourcing materials would be fun, but again I would seek help from those already in the business.

So your ability to network within existing mechanisms would be worth your weight in gold, how do you go about making foreign contacts without stumbling into scammers?

6. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 14 years ago

I would start a tax free foundation that would solicit billionaires to donate money to create jobs in locally depressed areas of the world ,help people who can then help themselves after they have the wherewithall to do so.If they need training ,they should be trained and to then train eachother.
    Seed money is needed to grow.Once planted and fed apropriately the fruit of that endevour or profits can be reinvested to grow more as well as better fruit both litterally and figuratively.As the saying goes "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but in the end lose their soul?"

Ok so you have the basic premise, now expand on that for me, we are working on how to get up a trusted team that would not just water down or pervert your vision, it's your baby, no one else should be able to change it for their own purposes.  How do you develop the loyalties you need to commission your project and carry it through?

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Umm, a few million bucks I guess. To buy an island in Croatia, and set up an anarchist enclave there. smile

Oh...Misha...is that your final answer?  We were going so well in here....you must have a purpose for all that???  sad : (

Misha, not only are you given large quantities of money to do something to make a difference in the world, measure by weight in truckloads if you wish...but at each stage of accomplishing your vision...you are given an increasingly better sports car and the freedom to drive aimlessly around each country you enter for the purpose of creating better life situations for the people who live there...now, what is your vision, how do you accomplish getting a loyal team to back you up and how many sports cars...uh...stages   would it take to get you on the road to accomplishment? big_smile big_smile

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I want 500billion dollars and I will go to Misha'a island and take over as Emperor.

OK!  Wow I am so surprised you didn't say take over Misha's island and kick out all the men and keep all the lovelies for the pleasure of the Emperor..who was that to be again? love, love, love!

Seriously my friend, grab onto this for a moment, I beseech you, as in my view you are one of the Inspirational Kings of this Hub Planet,  how would one set up a vision to help others' and then get a team together trustworthy to a fault, to keep your own vision as if it were theirs, and defend your plan  to help others without watering it down...unto uselessness...alot I know but we have travelled far within this forum in a very short time....

9. profile image0

Well, one must first clean one's own house first. I would start in the Appalachians with bailing out poor people from misery. I would enlist you to set up my teams of trustworthy persons like unto Eleanor Roosevelt. That would attract the Rockefellers among others and then we would build on that and move west and help with others in need of a bailout. As we move on the fame spreads and it becomes popular for other rich folk to get on our wagon and we'd circle around the nation and onto Canada, Mx. and around the world. Then with my fame I would crown my self Emperor of Misha's Island and you my Empress. wink

"Giggling quite unlike Eleanor", or maybe not....are you so sure we have what it takes to attract the Rockefellers?  What is it about us that would give them the confidence to invest in our profound vision?

Would your team guidelines include my gleaning from the trustworthy talents of these very Hubpages?

10. profile image0

I was teasing you again. Actually I would give back to our wonderful Earth. Help replace green things like trees after buying land for them and nurture it for wildlife, mostly our Birds as I am a real birder. I would help to make more green corridors for the migration of same thus encouraging further wildlife to move in.

That's an amazing goal, ralwus, and you know someone in the forums from New Zealand just offered to fill me in on releasing Kiwis into my habitat - just last week I think, maybe it was Pearldiver...haven't heard back...

Since we've jumped track...let's go all the way, ha ha...tell me what kinds of birds?  I love the green belt goal and tree planting, my husband and I do these things on a small scale...what a dream to expand through the US and Canada, and even other parts of the world!

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am partial to the warblers all, and the hummers too. Kingbirds, Thrashers, Cuckoos and the many water fowl and Sandhill and Whooping Cranes, I can go on and on dear with this.

The eaves of my home are lined with Hummingbird feeders, they practically run my life, even taking a break in the jacuzzie, they hover around my head waiting for me to fill their feeders, the bluejays squawk and demand peanut butter (my fault for getting them addicted) and right now fourteen rare black Cayuga ducklings with black beaks and black webbed feet are in my family room peeping their heads off in indignation because I dared bring them inside for the night...ha ha  like you, my dear friend, I could go on and on...

11. J. McCoy profile image61
    J. McCoyposted 14 years ago

I just need $2,950. I would use the money to take Dave Ramsey's financial counselor training. That would enable me to do what I love (helping people through their financial crisis), and earn enough to take care of my family. I would invest the surplus until my passive income was greater that how much I earned by working. Then, I would take a 1 or 2 week vacation. During the week(s), I would find a family or organization that make significant personal sacrifices so that they can help others. I wouldn't let them know that I had access to a lot of money. But, I would find out what I could do to take care of all their immediate needs (pay off mortgage, pay kids college, doctor bills, newer car, or home repairs). That way the family or organization could focus more time on helping others instead of worrying about money. I'd really get a kick out of that. smile

Well, J. McCoy, we are likeminded in several ways,  wow...but who is this  Dave Ramsey and why do you think he is worthy of your investment?  You have a feel for more hands on helping with individuals you find worthy of your time, effort and money...less bureaucratic, more direct deposits....

1. J. McCoy profile image61
        J. McCoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for taking so long to reply! Dave Ramsey has already done much of what I want to do and has about a 25 year head start on me. We've both come to the same place in our lives where we wanted to find out how money works and we've come to the same conclusions. His passion is helping people through financial crisis and teaching others how to manage their finances.
        I've been doing this for my friends and their friends without credentials. Being certified through his school would allow me referrals from his rather large following. That would provide the income that would allow me to go back to finish my degree and still provide for my family. He has made a lot from his TV show on FOX, more than 450 radio stations, and selling who knows how many books. But, I would prefer to make my money through investments that provide passive income. That way, I could focus on more one-on-one time with the people I help. If you watch a little of his TV show, you can see how much he genuinely cares about people. What he has done has deeply inspired me to do something similar. I guess I didn't properly answer your original question. It's not that the money would inspire me. It's that the money would allow me to do what inspires me. smile There's a short bio at:
        http://beta.daveramsey.com/company/aboutDave/

You definitely have me curious about how we are like minded. I'd really like to hear about how you like to give. Please feel free to contact me directly if you'd prefer.

12. profile image0

I love wild life and how better to make a difference on this planet than to give back in this way? We screwed it up dint we? We can and should fix it.

Yes I believe we all had a part in it knowingly or unknowingly and we all need to make amends...

13. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

A million. I would use it to build a new nursing home where I work and pay my mothers house off.

That is great KM,  you have covered your needs and the well-being of your mothers' future, plus a deffinite improvement for the lives of people you touch every day at work, then you find another check, for double the first amount...  so, what is next?

1. kmackey32 profile image63
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm with the rest I would take care of my childrens futures, pay for college and a home for them, of course I would hide how much money I actually had from them because most kids who don't work for there money never learn to make it on there own. My mom always made a decent living but never just handed me anything, which in turn made me work for what I have and I am thankful for that....

1. kmackey32 profile image63
          kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I know I touch there lives everyday as I walk into work they get a big smile, just me being there is well worth anything else I could give them.....

You look about twenty three at most, but your maturity and priorities say much older...?  Either you have a head start on everyone or you learned alot in living...good ideas about the kids, so now it's time to move out of your comfort zone, another check arrives in your mailbox, doubled again  what next?

Do you have a secret ambition to do something that would better the world?

14. profile image0

Your candy is waiting Deb, g'nite

I shall drop by in two minutes...nitey night sweet man...

15. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Oh and lastly I would see a doctor for my medical problems.

16. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Did you get the Kiwis? hmm

Did you send me Kiwis?

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

DL check your mail.......... before I get arrested! lol

On my way sweetie!

Sweet little stuffed birds, I could never make you part with the loves!hmm

Pearldiver, I had a Border Collie looked so much like the one in your photos, male or famale?  Name?  Ours was Zoey, she liked climbing trees, 50-60 feet up into a pine, scared me to death!

1. Pearldiver profile image67
              Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is Matt... he is 9 years old and a real grubby dog lol
              He lives on the boat behind him, 80% of the time. He's into catching flying fish and getting patted. (and ice cream).

The last Kiwi that was successfully released in the US was EagleKiwi. She was caught stealing people's sandwitches in the park of a small Sth Island (NZ) town and exported to South Carolina, rather than face living in the KiwiHouse at Dunedin zoo. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
                Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never read this til now lol lol

There was a practical joke forum started last night, you guys would have a real ball in there!  Did you see my receipe for doggie ice cream in my Hub about Caring for Pets in Summer Heat...heck I can't remember my own URLs...but it's a good receipe...not for human consumption, but Matt would love it!

17. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 14 years ago

You don't need money to make a difference - just a strong voice smile

1. profile image49
      badcompany77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So true smile

So sweetie have you read this thread, I would feel honored to spar with you but I have the advantage, sincerely, until you work through the pages that come before today...""en gaurde""

1. profile image49

I know it would take many millions to make any difference and thats only in one country alone. A strong voice as in the case of Gandhi or Martin Luther King travelled across the world unlike money !

You know many people say these things, but just in thinking about what it took Gandi, in his humility, did he asked to be the strong force, one man against a dictator standing there knowing his bones would be broken, fasting almost unto death so his poor starving people could earn the right to take salt from the ocean and sell it for profit...I don't now any people in our world today who will stand up like that...so we must find a way, what is it that we can do?

Lest you misunderstood my intent...money is not for admiration, like fine leaders such as Martin Luther King and Gandi, money is simply a tool...in the right hands...in the Right hands...a tool used for progress and hope and change...

Hey starme, how are you?  Tell me some of the things you do right now to change the situation of this world?  Like helping people who are lost, hungry, scared...whatever is your hearts' desire?

18. profile image49
    badcompany77posted 14 years ago

There are plenty that stand up, there was the UK Band Aid, the USA Bandaid. I know people who personally collect thousands for the poor in third world countries and physically get on a plane with suitcases of clothes for them. I know people that give loads to charity who can't afford it, alas the world will always be unequally divided and people will die.

King died for his belief and we now have Obama as President, but still America has millions of unemployed and there is still racism and the rich and the poor. So it's full circle, nothing will ever change the world we live in.

Yes, I believe you are right BadCo.......

So, what is the next step?

1. profile image49

Just give what you can to the charities you like, I personally give to the blind, heart, cancer and third world and if I have any left I will Paypal Zadrobi a few dollars smile

That's a great plan, consistency builds over time...it may seem a small bit each time, but when you look back over the years it adds up to a substantial amount of assistance!

2. zadrobi profile image60
          zadrobiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your generosity will not go unnoticed smile

big_smile big_smile big_smile
                     big_smile big_smile big_smile
                               big_smile big_smile big_smile     wink

I followed you all the way to the alas....I don't know what to think about the rest, can't fill in the gap, or the leap...to the next thought?  Help?

19. zadrobi profile image60
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

I will need $14,107.74

to take over the world

Show me your budget my friend, don't forget taxes...lol!

1. zadrobi profile image60

Hahaha this project screams tax exemption.
        Sorry if I'm being a little too facetious for this thread, Deborah, I couldn't help it!

No, all ideas welcomed, some will be subject to scrutiny but only for the purpose of honing them to perfection....so...you were saying....do you want to pursue the tax exempt route or go the commercial way, it depends on if you want to network into self-help employment opportunities in the future.  Start with a definitive goal...own a chunk of some solution somewhere, and we can break it down...want to help others...fix or reorganize something, or what do you want?

20. InvestmentSchool profile image40
    InvestmentSchoolposted 14 years ago

its what you do with the money that is insperational

1. zadrobi profile image60

"insperational"

It's not in my nature to correct people but...
      I can't help but notice the irony of the spelling error and your user name.

hee hee!

21. Jon Allan profile image57
    Jon Allanposted 14 years ago

Any amount, to be honest, Any gift really....lol

Gifts recieved out of appreciation for what i do is enough to inspire me to do alot more.

You are sweet Jon,  but lets say you received a really large check and you took care of all your own needs plus the needs of the people you care about, but then a week later you received another check, double the first amount and you decided it was time to use this money to help others...what would you want to do?

22. johnuy168 profile image60
    johnuy168posted 14 years ago

$500,000.00 would be an inspirational amount. Enough to pay off debts and start on investments I only dreamed of doing. This amount is big enough to inspire someone to improve and better themselves. If you had like a billion dollars, you can have almost everything and you can just be so uninspired to do anything except relax.

Once your needs and the needs of those you care about are provided for, would you start wondering what you could do to make a difference in the lives off others?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)