Do you add salt to your freshwater aquarium?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. BloodRedPen profile image69
    BloodRedPenposted 14 years ago

In the U.S. since the 1990s it's been a common practice to add salt to freshwater aquariums to prevent some diseases and balance osmotic pressure. it's been added for so many years that some freshwater fish get sick and die without it. Do you add salt?

1. profile image0
      Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you have a salt-free aquarium this doesn't mean your fish will get sick and die. You've been fed poor information there.

Many of the benefits of salt - disease prevention / healing / inhibition of nitrates - can all be found in proprietary products designed specifically for fish. These would be a better option. But if you really must use salt (because it's cheap and readily available) just add a very light sprinkling. No more.

Also, just because your fish are looking healthy and vibrant in a salt-added aquarium does not mean it's the salt that is giving your fish their vibrant sheen. Many tropicals can survive quite well even in poor quality water. It's the contrast between different qualities of water that fish struggle with. So, even taking your fish from a low water quality environment and placing them in a high water quality environment could be very damaging, especially if you didn't allow them to slowly acclimatise to their new water environment.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

If you add salt, it's not a freshwater aquarium anymore.

1. BloodRedPen profile image69
      BloodRedPenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I knew someone would say its not fresh if you add salt - But all the tropical fish farms in florida use brackish water. And most pet stores don't tell you this. You buy the fish -take it home - put it in freshwater and it dies.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you have to acclimate the water first. I had a goldfish that lived for 7 years, Fred. now he's buried in the flower garden.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oops, meant to say acclimate the fish first into the water. I always used hard tap water and would let it set for 24 hours first.

2. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
        Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My tropical fish dealer told me to add sea salt to my aquarium each time I add about 1/3 new water to the tank, mostly for my puffer fish, the added plus is the other fresh water tropical fish loved it and thrived, I think they are most vibrant in color as well.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's not entirely true.

I kept African Cichlids for a few years, and they are supposed to have a high Ph...up to 8.0 for the Lake Tanganyika species.  I added "salts" to the water to help achieve the higher Ph as well as using a mix of crushed coral and gravel for the bottom of the tank in order to maintain high Ph levels, and to prevent dips and spikes which are hard on the fish.

Some of these fish are extremely colorful, and to me, they are as close to saltwater varieties without having to invest in the extra time and expense a saltwater tank requires.  They are technically freshwater fish, though.

Now, I only keep a couple of straggler bottom feeders who have not been given away and have grown fairly large, and I do not add salt to the water.

3. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
      Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to ask this Relache, I have been reading you in the forums for about three months now and your style of answer is consistantly "haughty", are you a guy hiding under a avatar of a lady?

3. Wonder_Woman profile image58
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

<snipped - do not post copyrighted text which you do not have permission to reproduce on HubPages>

4. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

It's best to use aquarium salt over table salt. Sea salt is ok, better than table salt.

And, it's still a freshwater aquarium even if you add a pinch of salt. There are many freshwater fish who do better with the salt than without; it makes the water a little brackish, which makes it more habitable for the fish.  You just add a teeny bit at a time so the fish gets used to the level of salt. You don't want to pour a ton in there, just a little. The amount will really vary on the species because some fish prefer more brackish water than others.

Wonder_Woman, you may not want to copy and paste info from other sites to post here. Just a head's up.

1. Wonder_Woman profile image58
      Wonder_Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

really?? Is it that strict here?

1. Whitney05 profile image81
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's definitely not recommended. I know you're not supposed to copy and paste into hubs. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone copy and paste (an entire page's content) into the forums. I don't think it's a good idea, and probably still against the TOS.

5. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I used to add a small amount of aquarium salt to my FW tank (since I didn't have crustaceans or nonscaled fish like cats - they are sensitive to salt) because most scaled fish do better with slightly brackish water.

Aquarium salt is the best, and sea salt also excellent. Table salt is not recommended because they add anti-caking agents to it that can be harmful to fish, and they lack other naturally-occuring chloride salts (potassium, magnesium) beyond sodium that fish tend to prefer.

6. BloodRedPen profile image69
    BloodRedPenposted 14 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their posts - I knew I wasn't the only person that used salt in my freshwater aquariums. i was recently at a local pet store and they had cups of rock salt setting in the bottom of some of their tanks - that scared me - I didn't buy any fish at that store.

7. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Yes, I put the recommended amount of salt in the freshwater, it helps the fish.

~thranax~

8. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Cups of rock salt is definitely not the best idea. Ha. Good choice not buying from them.

9. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 14 years ago

Aquarium fish can survive without it, but salt added to the water does help oxygen pass through the gills.

Use aquarium salt (1 TBSP per 5 gallons) not table salt.

Hope this helps.

10. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

yeah it is usually added with some salt to prevent your fishes from getting some ailments...

But just in small amount, Im not sure better ask your fravorite  pet shop about this... In the wild tropical fishes swims in freshawater that has salinity on it...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)