Is it Jim Zorn's fault?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (44 posts)
  1. R.Edwards profile image62
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

As a Redskin's fan I have been seriously dissappointed, season after season. Every offseason it seems as if we invest so much money in the areas on the team where we think we are lacking.

I have come to the conclusion that the Redskins simply aren't competitive enough as players despite the numerous calls for Head Coach Jim Zorn's job.

In the past eight seasons the Redskins have hired 5 different head coaches including current coach Jim Zorn and have not made it past the Divisional round of the playoffs in the only 3 trips to the postseason during that span. 

This season, the Skins snapped the Lions' 19 game loosing streak and today, handed the lowly 0-3 Panthers their first victory of the season after spoiling a 17-2 halftime lead to lose the game 20-17.

What's the matter? Are the Redskins the new age Oakland Raiders? A high profile, financial powerhouse football team, medelsome Owner and conflicting coaching staff?

If you care to add your input, please do...it's a harsh Sunday for us Redskin fans.

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I too am a long time Redskins fan and am very disapointed with the team this year.
      My gut feeling is that they look confused and especially Campbell.  He has had a few seasons to mature and at moments looks very competent.  But to be honest the running game has gone south and the rush is pretty steady. I have noticed that Campbell is pretty good with the hurry up and maybe they should go to the no huddle to see if the confusion can be passed onto the other side.

I am also a Yankees fan and can see how a meddlesome owner can be marginalized and the team rise above it.  So maybe its something else the Redskins can look at.

Just my two cents, but what do I know.

R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

anything would work right now. I just hope they don't go firing Jim Zorn, it's up to the players to kick it in gear and play like their potential. Talent wise the Skins are one of the deepest in the league, but nothing to show except a 25 point performance against the Lions last year...not good.

2. acanderson24 profile image69
      acanderson24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Washington Redskins: The Play Calling Fall Out       Hey Zorn is the least of the Redskins problems. I did an article called: Washington Redskins: The Play Calling Fall Out. Check it out

1. Drew Breezzy profile image63
        Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes check it out ^^^^^

3. Drew Breezzy profile image63
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you got issue with the line but I don't think Campbell is that good of a quarterback.

New receivers would help too.

2. Jery profile image60
    Jeryposted 14 years ago

I am a Seahawks fan so alls well here in WA state! I don't watch to many other football games anymore (not enough time) but Jim Zorn was The Seahawks quarterback for several years, and that's what caught my eye in your post. Football teams seem to all have times when they win and are a force to be reckoned with and then those times when they just can't do anything right but lose! I remember watching the Redskins in the Superbowl when they were a real force themselves!

3. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

Jim Zorn is a terrible coach, but it's a team effort in Washington.

4. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

You being a Redskin fan and I am a Cowboy fan....well, you know! lol
    But, Washington has talent!!! Lots of it. I would look at the owner Mr. Snyder. He is like Jerry Jones of the Cowboys. When an Owner has too much input/control he can hurt the team. (especially when he does not know enough to be a coach!)

Look at my Cowboys...why after a 13-3 season year before last and all the talent we have now are we not a SB contender? We will be lucky to win 5-6 games after what I see this year. I look at the owner's decision to keep the head coach, off. cord. and certain players. Some owners are like Al Davis....ooops, can't admit they made a mistake. lol Team suffers and so do the fans.

5. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Some of the blame should be placed on Zorn, because if the Redskins were 5-0 he would be getting a ton of credit (just look at Josh McDaniels).  However, most of the blame, I'd say 80% should be placed on Dan Snyder who hamstrings Zorn by playing Santa Claus (with an overly-optimistic outlook and deep pockets) to overrated, over-the-hill, and especially over-paid players who don't perform once they get to Andover.  The same problem lies in the Cowboys and Raiders organization whose owners have too much say in their (respective?) clubs.

The Redskins need young, promising players from the draft rather than old, greedy players, but the problem is that they relinquish all of their picks before the draft can begin!  Much has to be changed from the top down.  Jimmy Johnson of Fox NFL Sunday did a great segment on this by the way.

Good luck (but not too much, lol I'm a Giants fan, you know)

6. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

NFC East Rules! lol
    11 Superbowl Championships in this division. Tops in the NFL.

7. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Wow, that much really?  We also lost a few Super Bowls too sad I just miss the good old days before the re-alignment when we each had to play the bad Phoenix Cardinals twice a year lol That was fun big_smile

1. Michael Willis profile image66
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, Dallas=5...Ny Giants=3...Wash.=3
      I miss the old alignment also. I go back to the St. Louis Cardinals of the 70's. They were a tough team back then. Archie Manning and the Vikings...LA Rams were awesome with defense...Oakland, Steelers(ewww)lol and Baltimore Colts....Dawg Pound (Cleveland), Houston Oilers. Real hard nose football days. Shows my age a little bit.

1. dohn121 profile image82
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Geez, you're absolutely correct.  The Philadelphia Seagulls will win a Lomabardi Trophy one of these days too--hopefully after when I'm dead lol

...lol, I just moved out here in Pennsylvania from D.C., my roomate's an Eagle fan and I can't stand him constantly backing up this 3 QB tandem that the Eagles have. He swears by it and always laughs at my Skins' offensive struggles while all I can say is..."hey, who has the rings buddy?"

so no, I hope the Eagles NEVER lift that trophy! hahaha!

by the way, I'm usually not this nice to 'little' Giants and Cowgirl fans...but you guys seem cool! lol.

1. Michael Willis profile image66
            Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cowgirls? Ohhhhhh...I am insulted. lol As long as we beat the Redskins.

I came to grips with the notion that the Skins MIGHT lose to each of their divisional opponents this year, smh...I told myself after the week one Giants game to not carry a high expectation for the Skins this season...it will only hurt in the long run!

But seriously, back to the topic. The same goes for the Buffalo Bills, the NFL Network is saying Ralph Wilson is sticking by Jurahn (spelled correctly)? Yet another team not producing their talent's worth. I mean, Trent Edwards is not a bad qb, that offense is, well...semi-stacked with talent.

Same goes for Washington. I think our offensive troubles are stemming from a depleted run offense, some maybe our line's fault but the majority rests on Clinton Portis' shoulders...there's no fight in that guy, and the Redskins (imo) should really shop the guy. I'd do a complete makeover, shop around Portis, Campbell and Cartwright and start from there.

That Kevin Kolb kid out of Philly could be of good value!

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
            EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's 2 QB's and an out of position receiver.

3. blue dog profile image60
            blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cowgirls??  more like cow patties...  a reflection of current ownership. 

long gone is the class act of landry and murchison.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

Here's to an early death for you.

My cousin lives in South Philly and always calls me whenever the Seagulls beat the Giants.  However, whenever the Giants beat the them and I call him, he can't be found big_smile

8. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

The Deadskins have waaay too many problems to name.

Certainly Zorn is to blame for some of it since he's the head coach, but Dan Snyder needs to leave. I look at Norv Turner and what he's doing in San Diego to see an ex-skins coach doing well outside of DC. When coaches are in DC they suck, when they leave, things change.

The same is true with QBs. I don't think Gus Frerotte is awesome, but he did much better when he left DC...

Campbell stinks, plain and simple. He has a decent arm (in terms of strength), but poor accuracy, little confidence and doesn't play with intelligence.

And I don't know what you're saying about Portis. I'd probably say he and TE Chris Cooley are the two best players on the skins team.

So, now that I've given my prognosis, I should say that I'm 100% an Eagles fan and took much delight in watching them blow the game...yet again...a game they should have easily won.

...didn't think anyone answered this thread.

Clinton Portis is undoubtedly a talented running back, but he's been worn out since his playing days in Denver. He's only 28 but that wear and tear on his body has taken a toll, he needs a RB counter part and no one besides Chris Cooley or Santana Moss would be worth another talented 'back like Portis.

Besides, the Skins need depth at the O-line and Portis would have good shop value, at least 2 decent takles or guards. Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels are out for the season, well at least Thomas is. Samuels is out for a few weeks due to an injury in the Bucs game I think.

The problem imo doesn't lie with our coaching staff although hiring Shannahan or Cowher and keeping Zorn as QB coach or Offensive Coordinator wouldn't be a bad idea.

9. WeddingConsultant profile image67

No one has a response?

10. R.Edwards profile image62

Oh yea, the Eagles will lose to the Skins in two weeks...we're at home and you guys have a losing overall record against us.

Some teams just match up well, and the Skins match up good against the Cowgirls and the Seaguls no matter what our woes may entail in any particular season!

haha, BOOM baby!!!

Ha!  I love it! NFC Beast teams are no joke!

2. WeddingConsultant profile image67
      WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your main argument that the skins will win is because the skins have a better winning record vs. the eagles overall? Are you serious? Simply because the skins beat the eagles more often than not a decade or two has no bearing on today's teams.

It'll be a fun game, but I suspect the skins won't produce enough offense to make it close. It does help that it's a home game for the skins, though. Either way it will be good football...

11. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

The Redskins will be lucky to be within two touchdowns of the Eagles. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Eagles defense outscores the Redskins by themselves.

1. WeddingConsultant profile image67
      WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was going to say the same, but McNabb was waaaay off his stride in the game vs. the Raiders yesterday. Shameful.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

You're being too kind.

12. R.Edwards profile image62

it won't happen again. It was an off game by McNabb and the Eagles and it won't happen again against the Redskins. The two teams are fierce competitors and I believe the Redskins own the overall versus record between the two clubs.

This will be a total massacre if the Redskins don't find the end zone more than twice which likely won't happen if Collins or Campbell plays at starting QB.

If I'm Zorn, there's no secret my job security is in question and nothing seems to be working, I'm starting my 2nd year QB Colt Brennan out of Hawaii. I'm not sure as to how much of the playbook he knows, or how effecient he is running the offense but I don't think it would hurt to try.

After watching the Skins lose to the Chiefs I am fully convinced our problem lies in the passing game. There's no fear of a Washington passing game and for good reason. The Redskins need a QB, not a new coach.

13. WeddingConsultant profile image67

I agree that the skins are hurting for a solid passing game, but their running game also sucks. Oh and special teams isn't special. The only thing going for them is their defense.

I really hope the Eagles decide to bring it to the game this week vs. the Skins. On paper the Eagles are 10x better and the Skins are imploding.

We'll see how the game goes.

Their defense ain't anything to writehome about either. Since their opening game against the Giants, they've played the Chiefs, Panthers, Lions, Bucs, and Rams. The 24th, 26th, 27th, 28th, and 30th ranked teams in offense. The fact that they are ONLY ranked 5th in defense is amazing.

14. WeddingConsultant profile image67

Very true, eye, very true

15. WeddingConsultant profile image67

So who will win tonight's game- the Eagles or the Deadskins?

16. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 14 years ago

Gotta go with the Eagles.  Even if they did lose to the Raiders.

17. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

I don't see how the Eagles lose this. It might be competitive because of the rivalry, but if they lose they are in big trouble.

1. jobister profile image61
      jobisterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, if the eagles lose this they have more questions to answer the Redskins if they lose. As an Eagles fan I want to see them bounce back from that unexpected loss last week to the Raiders.

This will be first week for Redskins to have an opponent with a winning record, I don't think their record is anything to  be proud about. They need to trim the fat from the salary and need a complete overhaul from top down.

I think they should consider asking the current Redskins to move to Los Angeles and change their name like the Titans did so they can get a new expansion Redskin team. It hasn't quite worked out for Cleveland yet, but at this point it's worth a shot for Washington.

18. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Any organization that hires a "consultant" to call plays for the team is horrible.  I think Zorn has no power and never did.

This organization has used 6 or 7 offensive coordinators in the last 7 years.

The coaching staff are mere pawns with the front office with this team.

19. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Was watching the game tonight.  Some players seem into it, others do not.  The whole game, the coach didn't seem into the game either.  No emotion.

Seems an attitude adjustmeent might be in order. A new coach could do that.  Perhaps Gruden.  Fire them up.

There's some speculation that they can't find a coach that would be willing to take over in the middle of the season, even as an interim coach. Personally, I think they are trying to make things uncomfortable enough so Zorn will quit and they won't have to pay his final year and Zorn is holding out so they have to fire him.

20. WeddingConsultant profile image67

I think if I were in Zorn's position, I'd keep the resume fresh, keep collecting the paychecks for the rest of the year and keep looking for new jobs. Norv Turner seems to be doing great post-Skins, as do a number of players as well.

I live in the DC area so (unfortunately) all we hear about on TV is the Skins and sometimes the Ravens. Believe me, the Skins problems are too many to list here.

I'll attempt anyway:
    * Cooley is now out with a broken ankle- he's their pro bowl tight end.
    * Campbell hasn't "manned up" yet and become the leader this team needs in the QB spot.
    * Zorn isn't qualified to be coach
    * Dan Snyder is plain horrible
    * Santana Moss can catch and run, but he's well under 6 foot tall (5'10").
    * Their offensive line is offensive.
    * Special teams isn't special. Or one could say they are "special" depending on how you want to run with that joke.

Probably the only good thing the Skins have going for them is that Dan has a lot of money and their defense is okay.

Anyone have anything to add to that laundry list?

21. WeddingConsultant profile image67

I don't think the play calling is an issue, actually. The fact that the players couldn't execute the plays they were told to run is an issue.

Add that to my laundry list of issues on the previous page.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)