Do other Christain sects. think that JWs are basically atheist?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Just wondering because from my understanding Jehovah's witnesses don't believe that Jesus Christ is God.

According to the abundance of strong Christ idolaters, Jesus Christ is God.

So because Atheist don't "believe" that Jesus Christ is God and JWs don't believe that Jesus Christ is God, and Gnostics don't believe that Jesus Christ is God...

Does that make JWs atheist? 

Of course this is from the perspective of those who believe that God actually a supernatural being who is alive in Heaven on a throne etc... who came to Earth as Jesus Christ, the Creator of existence etc., etc., etc...

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, it wouldn't because there are christians who do not believe that JC is God.

2. sooner than later profile image61
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They are actually a little more complicated than that. They believe that Jesus is the Son of God as He said in the bible. All their praise is to God Almighty through Jesus the mediator. They believe that because God is so pure that He cannot have contact with sinful man. They also believe that Jesus was God Almighty's first creation.

Do I have it right JW's?

I am not a Jahova's Witness, but what they believe is fairly scriptural. So, do they have it all wrong? who knows

3. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I already know talking to you about religion is a waste of time but you will listen when the time comes.

Here goes, I believe Jesus is the Christ, the son of God. He is the redeemer, the savior and thru him we know his father, our Heavenly Father. Anything else is deception concieved by the advisary.

Your rebellion was planned by the advisary to ruin the plan God chose for us. His jealousy of Jesus and of the plan for free agency on earth has fueled the non-believers disbelief. Just to let you know the adversary will fail and you will know the truth thats why I don't bother with your disbelief. I only worry about what turmoil you're behaviors are causing now because you're going to hurt alot of people with your lack of morals.

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you kidding?  You can see into the future now and your saying that I am going to hurt a lot of people for my lack of morals?  What a lump! big_smile

2. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

People always laughed and told me how horrible JWs are but guess what? When I asked what they believed that made everyone hate them, all anyone could say was, "I have no idea, I refuse to talk to them!"

Believing Jesus isn't Almighty God doesn't make one an atheist, just means you're not a mainstream American christian.

1. profile image0

You mean you asked a JW this or you asked a mainstream American Christian that but they never talked to a JW?

What does make someone an atheist then?

1. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you not read anything that Mark Knowles has said on these forums? big_smile

1. profile image0

All the time!  I also read Dawking's and other perspectives as well but there is a point to the question which I will get to when it comes up.  Which it will...eventually. big_smile

2. skristoff profile image61
        skristoffposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Atheists (or anti-theists) believe that there is no God, or any divine power of any kind.

3. 2patricias profile image61
    2patriciasposted 14 years ago

The next time a JW comes to the door I shall ask if what they believe about Jesus Christ.
    I don't think JW's are horrible.  They always seem to me to be very sincere, but slightly misguided.
    It appears to me that they have learned something from a script.
    Of course, it could be argued that those of us who are mainstream Christians are misbuided - and I believe that has often been said on Hubpages....

4. profile image0

This is what I heard from people other than JWs. People ridicule JWs but don't have any idea what the JWs believe and teach.

Atheism is not believing in God at all. Muslims are not atheists, Christians aren't, JWs aren't, SDAs aren't, Hindus aren't, Jews aren't... I'm not sure about Buddhists, their beliefs seem to be a form of theism, just not like Christian religions.

5. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Most Christian denominations consider JW's to be a cult. 

To quote a verse from their bible regarding Jesus:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was a God."  --John 1:1

And the same verse from the King James Version of the Bible:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  --John 1:1

This is just one of many changes...

There are a number of books available that define what JW's believe, if you are really interested in knowing.  Most of the books available will also contrast what they believe with what other religions and denominations believe.

1. profile image0

So what are you saying?  That their bible is incorrect and the other one is?

Either verse implies 1 god, so what is the difference? There are books that define what JWs believe? but have you ever talked to one?

I am just curious because I am under the impression that because the term god has been hijacked by Christianity to mean Jesus then all Christianity is supposed to assume Jesus is god, right?

1. Ivorwen profile image66
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I quoted the King James Bible against their Bible because it is the standard amongst Christian denominations.  It is a fairly direct translation from the original languages. 

The verse I quoted actually indicates more than one god.  'The Word was with God' and 'the Word was a God.'

Mainstream Christianity believes in one God who is mad up of three persons:  The Father, The Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost). 

Not to be rude, but many people are very ignorant of what they believe.  Many religions only know the way they use a term, and when they hear what another religion believes they try to make it fit their definitions.

A good example of this is the word god.  Even the Bible has different meanings for it depending on how it is used.

When a Christian says God, they are usually referring to the Father or the Son.

When a Muslim says God, they are referring to Allah, who has no relation to the Christian God.

1. skristoff profile image61

Not true.  Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all worship the same God, the God of Abraham.  This is why this group of religions are called the Abrahamic religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahamic

1. profile image0
            Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very interesting. did not really know that just knew that truthfully they all are branches of each other...like Chrstianity came from Judahism and Catholism came from Christianity...did Judahism come from Islamic religions?

1. skristoff profile image61

Judaism is the oldest branch, then Christianity, then Islam. 
              Catholism the the "original" Christianity.  Lots of arguments about what is true Christianity, but through the Catholic Church you can trace back the leaders of the Church to St. Peter.  Islam accepts Jesus only as a prophet, not as the son of God as Christians do.

EDIT: Islam is not a branch of Christianity, I think it would be more accurate to say that the people who eventually became Muslim were "gentiles" who recieved the word of God through Muhammed, as Christians were (mostly) gentiles who received the word through Jesus.  Most Christians were not previously Jews.

6. profile image0

I studied with the JWs for a while just because the reaction I always saw made me curious. I don't believe they're right but they're trying to help people in the way they think will help best. Mormons too, I never saw a religion so focused on helping people as Mormons.

(Funny thing about mormons; when we first moved to Utah, a very mischievous looking little boy rode up to us on his bike and announced, "I'm a saint!" Then he asked, "Are you?"

They call themselves latter-day saints so that's all he meant but I didn't know that at the time, LOL!)

1. profile image0

lol too funny!

7. profile image53
    ilene2878posted 14 years ago

I am a christian and I do not think JW's are atheist. As a matter of fact I am the only person in my neighbor hood who doesn't pretend that they're not home when JW's knock on my door! I open it and welcome them in and we sit and talk for hours about Jesus. Which is always a good conversation! What you seek, you will find. That being said, if you seek an argument you will find it, if you seek peace, well, inheriting the earth doesn't sound so bad, now does it?! smile

8. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Any practice of any religion defeats the nature of life.

1. profile image0

Where do you come up with this stuff? lol

9. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Jesus Christ isn't God from what I was taught and from what Witness's are taught. Jesus Christ to Catholics is that he is God's Son. while Witness' believe that Jesus is a prophet...I think that is right. I can't remember right but I have two best friends who are witness' and I'm always asking them questions. We never fight about religion we discuss it and I find it quite interetsing. smile

But no Witness' r not Atheist smile

1. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've seen you say in previous posts that you are Catholic Crazdwriter.  Man what Catholic church were you brought up in?  Have you never heard of the Holy Trinity?  It just goes to show when someone says they are Catholic or grew up Catholic you have to read future posts by them to see if it's actually true or not.

10. profile image0

Muslims are the descendants of Ishmael, the first son of Abraham.

11. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Wow I learned a lot just now. Thanks skristoff and TMinut.

And was I right? Witness' say Jesus is a prophet right?

12. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

I've sat with many JW's, I think they brought their newer recruits around for training sessions, and we have had some fine debates. They know their bible (and my King James) better than most believers do.

The main points of heresy from the main Christian beliefs are:
    a) They don't believe in the Holy Spirit as being available here on earth.
    b) They don't see Jesus as God.
    c) They don't believe in Hell.

They were started by a chap called Russell and for a while were called  Russellites.

He had been a traditional Christian, but had a problem with Hell as a concept, so he started his own sect.

I believe that when the role is called, some people who have been JW's will still end up saved, because for a JW, whether born or converted into the sect, it means total excommunication from friends and family if you leave to join the mainstream church.

Yes those who come to recognise Christ for who He is should seperate anyway and join a mainstream church, but I can understand why they may stay hidden in the JW's whilst still believing in Christ.

God sees our hearts and intent more than our actions.

So NO they are not atheists, they are heretics! - which may be worse. hmm

13. skristoff profile image61
    skristoffposted 14 years ago

I am also not a JW, but I think the poster above has it right.  Also, JWs believe that we are currently in the age of Revelation.  They do not celebrate religious holidays that have pagan origins (Christmas, Easter, etc).  Do a quick wikipedia search and you'll find more info.

1. sooner than later profile image61

The holiday one is shared by us Seventh Day Adventists as well.

1. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

... and you guys get to live longer because of the veggie diet!smile

1. sooner than later profile image61

true. energy abounds too.

14. profile image0
    AnnaFaithposted 14 years ago

I am not a JW, either, but if they really believe that God is "too pure" to have contact with sinful man, then I feel sorry for them.

What a lonely thought.

15. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Maybe I have not  studied the scriptures enough-- but I cannot find the verse where Jesus says he is God.

Yes, he said the people who had seen or heard him had seen or heard God-- but he also spoke in parables  and metaphors a lot, He said that the bread he held in his hand was his body, he said that the wine in his cup was his blood. He said to think of him and His Father (at least) every time we eat or drink. He tried to make ordinary earthly acts an occasion to reverence the Creator and to love our fellow humans.

We should not be be divided by the differences that we think he meant. We should be brought together by what we do understand.

1. spiderpam profile image74
      spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dealt with this also. When Jesus spoke in parables it was  said, "This is a parable." Look for yourself in a non-paraphrased bible and it pretty obvious. Jesus is God.
      2 Pet 1:1, Titus 2:13,
      Col. 1:13-20, Phil. 2:5-8
      Heb. 1:1-4, John 1:1-3
      May God guide you on your journey to His truth.

1. Make  Money profile image66
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.  There is no doubt about it.  Jesus Christ is God.  John 10:30 reads "I and the Father are one."  To be a Christian you have to recognize the Holy Trinity, One God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

16. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

He doesn't and in fact he specifically says the way to the father is thru me. When he was on the cross he said,"Forgive them Father they know not what they do!" And they still,"know not what they do."

17. UPStar profile image60
    UPStarposted 14 years ago

The people tried to Kill Jesus because they took the things he said, such as calling himself one with the father, the same as calling Himself God. John 5
    He Does clearly say he is God, though in John 8:58 because he said "before Abraham was, I AM." The jews wanted to stone Him for this because the word "I AM" is the name of God. And before Abraham was.... only God could make that claim.

1. profile image0

Thats a Godhead question and that issue is deviseive among Christians. I believe there are three seperate entities but not everyone feels that way and there is some evidence to support both positions.

1. UPStar profile image60
        UPStarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

?? I was simply shedding light on what you had said. that Jesus didn't call Himself God. But this is a post about JW's. So I will drop that subject

1. profile image0

Sorry I misunderstood.smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)