What does Christmas mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (52 posts)
  1. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

And, why?

1. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing...cus jesus was an outlaw...the festivities sure are fun though...all that pumpkin pie...but the event has no genuine meaning other than that.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love Christmastime, a chance to carry on traditions and make new ones. Being together with the family, special foods, fun, gifts. It's always a peaceful time for us.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

christmas for me is the joy of giving and sharing, for families to get together to celebrate. Above all christmas is for children..

1. Brian Leighton profile image58
      Brian Leightonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto.

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Family gatherings, even though we have several beliefs that do not include xmas, we all celebrate the holiday anyway, for the children. To many in my family it is about children having fun. smile

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i was going to ask you do you celebrate christmas, and you do not even believe Jesus exists, i don't understand that at all

4. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

For me, it's a time to surprise those I love and care about with gifts of appreciation.

5. Migodden profile image70
    Migoddenposted 14 years ago

communist like appeal, same music, same decoration, same broadcast, same jokes. Scary time of the year!

6. Larry Gee profile image57
    Larry Geeposted 14 years ago

Big family get-togethers, mountains of food, giving presents, leftover turkey in turkey sandwiches for weeks afterwards!

7. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

to me it means a day where you can feel all peaceful and loving and a caring member of your family and society, (things we can do everyday not just because it's christmas)so it don't really mean squat=)

8. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

sad thing is, where I came from, it's a day for people to expect you to give them money and presents, nothing else=)

9. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Just a question:  Has anyone here ever heard of or participated in telling ghost stories on Christmas Day?

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only with my grandpa -- we cousins cornered him and got him telling stories of his time in Europe during WW II.  It didn't take long before he was telling us of haunted castles and other weird things that he ran into.  He also told many fun stories of his time there.

1. profile image0
        LEWJposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I wonder how common the ghost stories are.

10. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

Christmas is the best time of year - festive, calm, peaceful, lazy, getting together with your family.
    I could sit for hours looking at Christmas Tree alone - sight that warms you up till spring big_smile

11. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Nothing
    just another holyday.

12. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

A time for family to get together.

~thranax~

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't need an specific day to get together with my family.
      We get together whenever we feel to. And it's not for Christmas, usually

13. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Tantrum. Relax
    Have a drink

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

why? i'm relaxed
      I'm just giving my opinion.
      I think I can ?

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You come to me darlin', I'll show you how we do it. Not a bunch of presents or religion, tho' I do bless the food. Lot of love and fun with the best of foods with mixed company. My Parrot and the pups really have a blast too.

14. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

It means it's Jesus Christ's birthday.  It also means I usually gain 5-10 lbs between now and then.

15. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Stress
    Stress
    More stress

I'm trying to be objective this year.  I bought a Fresh Balsam candle at B&BW.  I figure if I smell it every day, I might be able to tolerate a tree for a few weeks.

Be happy joyful for the kids and family - give me plenty of alcoholic fluids, leave me alone in the kitchen with the cookies and all might go well!

16. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

As someone who worked in the convenience store industry for almost 8 years I learned that Christmas is another ohe of those days that some people don't realize is a day to stay the f*ck home!!!
    It is a day that shows you that there are a lot of stupid people, addicted people, lonely, pathetic people and people who are poor planners out there.

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

abosuletly nothing what so ever to do with Jesus, i personally do not celebrate it at all

1. wsp2469 profile image60
        wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I hope you stay home on Christmas, at any rate. A major portion of the populace does, indeed, celebrate the Birth of Christ on December 25th. . .even people who have to work on that day.

17. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

Not sure but I think some people literally think: hey! it's the birthday of our lord and savior let's go out and buy alcohol today and become stupid, drunken assholes!

18. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

That is a hard one to follow, but I'll try - Christmas is a day to spend with my grandchildren, sing, eat, and hope everyone is happy with their gifts.

19. bearnmom profile image68
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

Christmas to me is a time to spend with family in the traditional ways.  Since I believe in Christ being the main part of Christmas I love the Caroles and the religious part of the holiday.  It's better to give than receive and I like to give gifts of my special Christmas cookies and spend my time with my family and friends.

20. Gregg Biancci profile image60
    Gregg Biancciposted 14 years ago

Christmas doesn't mean a whole to me, but I do like to take advantage of the free time and get together with friends and family.   However, that's something I like to do anytime I get a little free time. smile

21. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Festive days around the time of the year we call christmas existed long before JC.
    Like easter.

How about defining a Hubber's day ?
    National holiday.

22. Wonder_Woman profile image59
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

stress for having the money for presents and getting them
    but it all pays off christmas day when the family is together more so enjoying each other company. I love christmas, the songs, the colors, the movies, the lights, the festitvity about it so so peaceful bc you think of family and how they are all happy and healthy.

23. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Hmmm....It means to me wonderful time with family and friends. Giving gifts to others, and sharing a good laugh with everyone.

24. profile image52
    imsarahmileyposted 14 years ago

Christmas is lot of excitement for me. Shopping, home cleaning, new recipes, holidays. I am so excited even I am thinking about it.

25. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

Eating meat with family and buying gifts, trying to avoid random acts of senseless violence in crowded shopping centres.

26. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

I am not a Christian but I don't see it as a problem to have a celebration.  Where is the harm in one day a year for family getting together.  No need to get upset.

27. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Christmas is a very festive time of the year to share with friends and family. Totally love it!

28. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Christmas should be everyday... and that what all Christians must do though...

29. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

what I think it should mean and what it really is are worlds apart. I was 5 when I had my last Christmas as a child. I would go to school the day beofre xmas vactaion, everyone would have presents and cards for each otehr, some mom would bring in cupcakes. I wasnt allowed to join in. I sat at my desk, with my head down, and everyone else gave each other peresnts, and pointed at me and laughed at me for being wierd. Now that I am an adult, my family does celebrate christmas.I know, technically,  it is supposed to be Jesus' Birthday, wether or not I believe it actually is...I dont know. I think there is nothing wrong in getting together with familly, and showing them you love them. But why pretend its all about Jesus? Besides that, my mother and sisters dont do christmas, my inlaws...well..its all about "what did you get? I only got blah blah blah" and it makes me mad.
    My sister in law just recently went on and on about how dissapointed she was that she only got cash and "a few stupid presents", last year.
    So, for me, it is a time that I am confused about religon, I remember when my father passed away, I haven't seen one of my sisters in 15 years, another one in about a year and a half, my mother I havent seen in about a year, my in laws are selfish and greedy in the name of the lord...all the gift giving is judged, up to me, and we have no money. I want it to be different for my kids, I want them to have fun and be happy. And you wonder why people drink?

30. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

Christmas is family's excuse to yet again forget my birthday.
    Or maybe it's a chance to smooth over all of the family drama that got built up over Thanksgiving.
    A time to build a fire in the fireplace so the burglars dressed as Santa have to break in by smashing a window.
    Seriously, though, it's a chance for me to again count how many cousins I have . . . I'm the oldest of about 30 or so. Of course they're not all first cousins. All in all, a nice fire, a feast and some beer.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

whens your birthday and thanks for reminding me about thanksgiving drama. You would think after 10 years I would be prepared...

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
        Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dec28. Read something interesting about that date. Apparently in the old pagan days, this date was a feast day where masters waited on their servants and husbands let their wives . . . um, well you have an imagination I'm sure.

1. profile image0

HA HA HA HA!!!! Almost happy b-day.
          Ill have to google that.  smile
          perhaps its a tradition that needs reinventing?
          Ill try to remeber this, and make you a happy birthday thread. Everyone wants to be remembered in some way, at least once a year. Even if it is online.

that would be a very warm and very appreciated gesture, Justine:)

1. profile image0

I have a very bad memory. I will do my best, and luckily, all this is recorded in my hubtivity, just as long as it doesnt get erased agian!!  wink

Yeah, well now we're each other's fans so if u need a reminder I am not too proud to give you one:)

31. profile image49
    Gaelicmummposted 14 years ago

Christmas is that enfatuating time of year where anticipation goes off the deep end.  Am I happy for the season or am I happy about going shopping with Christmas lists that change with every commercial.  I love it no matter what. I can live with the decorations going up in September at the malls. I can appreciate the music that starts before Thanksgiving.  And how about those neighbors that keep their lights up year round(would be me!).  My sons pepper me with questions trying to get a heads up on what my husband and I bought them. But going to mass at either 7:00 a.m. or 8:00 a.m. (no music) is what really matters.  The birth of Jesus Christ is the most beautiful time.  Regardless of what your thoughts are, there has to be some part of you that still enjoys the season that makes you look back on family traditions and those who are no longer here with us. That's my Christmas in my  nutshell of a head.

32. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I've become pretty jaded about Christmas, due to several incredibly bad experiences. I don't feel the religious part of it, although I used to. I despise the commercial part of it, although I am not against giving a thoughtful gift to people I love.

This year is pretty lack-luster because this past year has been a year of grief and setback. There is a chance I may get out of town with a friend or two, but not sure yet. Other than that, I will try to select a few meaningful gifts for people in my life, and leave it as simple as possible.

33. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Death to my pocket book. sad lol

34. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I just try to make it as special as I can for my kids.

35. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

Hello friends..
    Thats when Jesus was born. Requesting everyone remember him
    on that day, please. That is when we all got saved. He died for our sins.
    Have a great day to all..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)