How does Meditation Affect YOU?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (47 posts)
  1. repstrydiefly profile image66
    repstrydieflyposted 14 years ago

Meditation is a very sacred practice that many people of all walks of life have been doing since almost the beginning of humanity.

Why do people meditate? Well it is said that an individual might meditate to come in touch with their "higher self" meaning it will reflect more on their individuality and reveal their own true identity or purpose on Earth.

It can also provide people with a more understanding, or wisdom, about life or what that individual has learned in life.

So in other words it increases the individuals spirits (spiritual growth) and builds character (individuality).

How does/has this practice have significance/affect/impact on YOU?

1. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It helps me connect with my higher or inner or god self.I get many answers and directions in meditation.

It also leaves me feeling great,at peace, no problem in the world after I meditate and I must add exercise.

It helps me in my concentration and gives me energy to carry out my work, would go into a suspended animation state  every day while writing and this would help me communicate with god or the cosmos with clarity. smile

Most importantly its was while practicing one pointed concentration or meditation that I got enlightened , became a knower of god of my real self. smile

repstrydieflyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok I understand what you are saying.

Do you "believe" in a GOD or do you think that your inner intuition and individuality and conscience is GOD? You also say that you are able to communicate with GOD or the cosmos. What exactly does this mean, because you said that GOD is inside you at first and then you compare GOD to the cosmos. What exactly would you call yourself in regards to religion or do you not think that you are religious?

What type of exercise do you recommend? And do you exercise before or after meditation?

What exactly does "animation state" mean? Does it have something to do with your character and the way you express yourself?

What kind of answers or directions exactly do you get through meditation? Are they answers about life or life choices? please elaborate.

What exactly do you have to concentrate on during meditation? I have been trying to meditate for a couple of weeks on my own but I just can't seem to stay in the state for very long because I know I am TRYING to meditate and that just ruins the whole point of it.

What problems does meditation relieve or make YOU feel more peaceful on a daily basis?

Does writing also help you come in touch with your true self?

Is meditation the only way to become ONE WITH GOD or do other methods like praying help/enhance this?

God is within and outside of me as well. The deepest fabric I am made of as well as the cosmos.This is my higher or inner intelligence which pervades everything.

Communicate , I get answers to my questions and directions, it comes to me.

I appreciate the essence of all religions which teaches mans essence is god  , his source and the place he goes to when he dies.Being one with this super entity which is actually you is a state of absolute bliss.

I was into martial arts for many years, now days I swim in the mornings and then meditate.Just move all your muscles basically.
          Its is said one should start the day with meditation and then proceed with other things but I like swimming first and then meditating as I mediate better .
          I would suggest exercise and then meditate.Even sitting requires your muscles control and after exercising it comes naturally.

Suspended animation is when you still completely to the extent that you stop breathing as well.This takes practice as you keep meditating your breath will slow down a lot. The gaps between your breaths will get longer and longer, this moment between breaths is when one can go into a stat of suspended animation and be extremely creative.

Answers and directions in life, from small to big decisions, in my meditation it as revealed to me to become a poet.

Initially meditation for even a few minutes is very difficult ,just sitting still is difficult.Concentrate on a point of light or star between your eyebrows with your eyes closed, also focus on your breath.This takes practice and initially one gets a lot of distracting thoughts , keep practicing and with time you will be able to meditate for a longer period of time with less distractions. Find a  quiet place and be regular with the time you meditate.

Meditation is connecting with your core , your concentration and will power will increase as well as your ability to make the right choice or decision.It will help you materially and spiritually. You will know your source where you have come from, what is the meaning of god and where you will go when you die, you will lose your fear of death .It will give you direction in life, may be a higher purpose.

Yes writing for me was lifting a big weight of my shoulder, I had to share the god knowledge I had gained.This may not be the same for you as you may have some other gift, some other purpose and you will know what to do after meditating.

Praying is similar to mediation and improves your concentration as well. There are two ways to say prayers out aloud and silent , the silent way being more difficult and more powerful.I would say prayer is like a stepping stone to meditation. smile

How is God outside of you when meditation helps you find the truth within you? Does it mean that whatever your desire and thoughts during meditation come into play in your daily actions and decisions? Is that what you mean by GOD?

Do you think there are other ways to find that higher intelligence besides meditation? And what do you mean by higher intelligence (intuition, conscience, ability to detect deceit)?

So if you are suppose to come one with yourself to get the higher intelligence, then how do religious people do this? Aren't they all trying to get in touch with an outside force or higher power? I thought that you have to look within yourself first.

so would running on a treadmill and doing pushups and situps be a substancial amount of exercise? I can see how if you exercise before meditation it will help your muscles and brain to relax. I appreciate that tip.

How will being in the suspended animation state help one to be creative?

How long do you suggest I start out practicing meditation?

I have tried it a couple of times without exercising and I barely get into the state where I start seeing my visions and ideas and then I come out of it. I am in a quiet room with relaxing nature sounds playing on my computer. Do you think it could be because I am not relaxed enough as I attempt it in the middle of the day because that is the only way I can be without noise?

thank you so do you think praying throughout the day a couple of times could prepare me to concentrate better while meditating? Would it enhance the experience?

Is the sound of nature or relaxing music acceptable when attempting to meditate at first, or do you need absolute quiet?

thank you and please answer back because I am very interested.

Your very essence is god or a very fine light love ,intelligent tissue, this pervades the cosmos as well, god is omnipresent, present everywhere.
              From god comes all, in fact you are everything, all is you.
              What happens is you get clarity in meditation, so many thoughts keep passing our minds , which one is the correct thing to do becomes clear.You still your thoughts , till the most prominent one is left.

You can dance, , do martial arts which are all in a way meditation where the ultimate goal is union with god.
              You have dynamic meditation which is movement and static meditation which is being still.I gained enlightenment while sitting but I have heard of various masters reaching this state with dynamic meditation.
              Intuition is very important its a key to life , this is your god self conveying message to your human self but one needs to have the ability to pick it up.This keeps getting stronger and you keep having more faith in your intuition.

Yes running is awesome and so are push ups, you are working your brain as well and not only muscles when exercising.

Suspended animation is what the mystics make use of to create, you are totally in tune with god a state almost similar to samadhi(enlightenment). This is when I would get my words while writing, I needed to be in a trance in order to write poetry.

To start  with a few minutes will be difficult.I remember when I started 2 minutes seemed so long and I would often fall asleep, which is one way a danger. One needs to be totally relaxed same state as sleep but with awareness.Now I do 30 min in te morning and 30 min in the night before sleeping, anything less is not sufficient for me now.

I prefer meditating with no sound, I believe music however calming is a distraction.It takes practice and time, keep meditating and regularly is the key.According to Patanjali anything you do regularly at the same time every day becomes dhyan or meditation.

Yes prayer is beneficial , repeating of mantras does change your frequency or vibration and connects you more with god.The Muslims pray five times a day in order to continuously keep that connection with god.

Sound of nature over music as I tend to listen to the words which is distracting for me.

I am pleased to answer your questions and any sincere seekers questions, it is my job. smile

2. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Meditation or I'll call it prayer has just recently helped me more than medication.  Seriously.  I'm just coming around after a long, 5 or 6 week bout with a virus.  I don't know if it was H1N1 or not but the antibiotics that I was prescribe made it worse.  Much worse, to the point of having a very hard time breathing for a couple of weeks.  I believe I had a reaction to the antibiotics because it became much worse as soon as I started taking them.  I was actually concerned for my life for a while.  Without additional medication just daily prayer I am finally coming around.  You may say that the virus finally run it's course or the antibiotics finally got out of my system but from now on I am depending more on God then the confused medical establishment.  The medical establishment can't heal anyone without God's help anyway.

3. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I get brainwashed by it.

4. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have no need for meditation. I am fully conscious and realize life. The sense one gets from meditation, I have when I wake.

I have no questions about my life, because the questions I had, have been answered. I live with full clarity about life.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So speaketh Spocketh. big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image69

lol lol

2. aoiffe379 profile image59
    aoiffe379posted 14 years ago

Meditation is an awesome experience. Yes, it  transports one to a higher plane; and it is indescribable. Once during a meditation, I saw what God had for me to do. Today, I am in this locale because God showed it to me and gave me four names. One of the names is that of the  individual who live across the street. She and her husband own the residence where I live! before the meditation I did not know her.Since we met, she has been a blessing to my life; and I am like a sister to her. I doubt it can get any clearer!

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

be careful with the use of illicit substances...

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I always get real comfortable and fall asleep.

1. debugs profile image60
      debugsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same thing happens to me.

4. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Meditation is a great 'Take a break from the Rat Race' activity. TG we have that.

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I don't care if you are a "believer"  or athiest; every one needs to find the center of their self in order to learn ..?..
    anything that is real.

1. profile image0

Oi. wink

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Io

1. profile image0

what's dat look aht?

Don't know what it looks like. When I do most things of importance I got my eyes shut. Unless I'm doin whatever it is with a skill saw in my other hand.
               But when ever I'm meditatin with my eys shut My head tingles, but that don't prove too much caus my head tingles a lot.

1. profile image0

Hmmm, the Nyquil's wearin off...

lol lol lol

2. Jerami profile image58

No nyquil. If ya don't understand I caint explain tha to ya,

1. profile image0

Hmm, I'm stumped....

it will come to ya

2. debugs profile image60
                  debugsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got nightime.. cheaper from Walgreens.. makes me meditate better too..

6. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

My friends tell me that whenever I write I am actually in fact meditating because I can't sit still to mediatate. So when I write I am mediatating big_smile

7. profile image0

I think I got it....

That is a good thing....

8. profile image0

I believe it is..

That makes my head tingle.

9. profile image0

Oh, then it's my Nyquil yer feeling....

lol lol lol lol lol lol

10. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

meditation always causes me to "trance out" and see things and images that , yes, fortell of things to come..I do not meditate due to this..I do not like "trancing out"...

Why wouldn't you like it if it leads you on the right paths and to making the right choices? Are the things you see disturbing to you or something? Please elaborate.

2. profile image0

That is scary, I can see why you wouldn't want to do that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)