Not earning money, someone help please!

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    WayneAnsellposted 14 years ago

I have been here only 1 week. I know that isn't long. Still i have been able to secure 1115 hits on my hubs. I feel that is decent traffic. I have published 9 hubs. I am writing everyday. I have adsense going and amazon. I am trying to properly use tags and keywords. I am trying to pick interesting topics and dabbling in a variety of things. I am backlinking articles all over the web. I am socialbookmarking. I get much traffic from facebook. I am on digg, stumbleupon, reddit, delicious, facebook, facebookgroups, feedburner.

All this and my earning are .07 cents.

I also started writing for Life123.com at the same time, I have only published 4 articles, the last one only last night. I have put in only about 10% of the effort over there as over here and I somehow earned $15 over there.

Can someone help me improve my hubpages or tell me what I am doing wrong? Will time and more articles help? I keep pouring over all the info on hubpages, but I can't see what I am doing wrong.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What you are describing is perfectly normal for how things start out on HubPages, especially given your choice of topics.  From what I can see, many of them are not a retail-oriented subject matter.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

1. profile image0
        WayneAnsellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are correct, many are not. Some are. So you suggest more amazon geared hubs? Should I try writing about more expensive products, more popular products? Right now I am working on a hub about top electronic xmas gifts. Do you think this is a solid idea?

Thanks for your input.

2. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It appears that you've hit the ground running but the best traffic is search engine traffic. People who find your pages through search engines are quality. They're looking for something. They're not being a social butterfly. Visitors coming from search engines, and I speak from experience I gained from elsewhere, are more inclined to click on Adsense ads.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keep doing them.

1. profile image0

thank you! I just wanted to know if I am on the right track. I have patience I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

3. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

Are you getting relevant adsense ads? If noone is buying ads related to the subjects your writing on, and you only get general adverts displayed, then you will have fewer clicks.

1. profile image0

some are relevant, some are not. i would say most are.

4. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I hate to burst your bubble, but last night, many hubbers experienced a drastic increase in stats this morning, due to what was most likely a server glitch. For instance, my views per day have been around 250-300, and all of a sudden they were up around 1000! So that number of views might not be accurate.

That said, it sounds like you're doing the right things, so be patient! It took me an entire week to earn 1 cent and I was thrilled! Sometimes it takes a week just for google to index your hubs (though sometimes they do get indexed a lot sooner).

I've been here for three months and my $$ has definitely gone up, but I'm still not rich ;-(
    It really is a process that depends on waiting, unfortunately.

Keep working at it and your stats and $$$ should start to snowball a bit more.

Good luck.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

If you're impatient to make money, and it does sound it, then write hubs to sell products and write a lot of them.

It is possible to make money quickly on Hubpages. But you need to write quality sales hubs that are designed to bring in a lot of google traffic and then convert it to sales. It can be done. I've made an adsense payout and at least $100 in Amazon sales every month since my second month here - which is when I really started writing lots of hubs.

Lots of luck.

1. profile image0

Thank you. Some of my hubs are geared at amazon. I will push more in that direction. If you look at my hubs, give me some feedback on the amazon product related ones, novels, movies, music. If you are so inclined. I thank you!

6. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

Just had a look at a couple of your hubs, and they are much more geared to get amazon click-throughs than adsense. This might work for you, although it will take more visits to start seeing results, but if you wanht to make more from adsense you should look at arranging your page so that some larger adsense ads can be displayed next to text boxes, rather than putting amazon modules next to all of your writing.

It is a good idea to think about whether you want a hub to earn through amazon or adsense b4 you publish, rather than expecting them all to be able to earn through both.

Hope these tips help.

7. heckstallmaffei profile image57
    heckstallmaffeiposted 14 years ago

maybe you should find an easier way to earn a fast buck. hubers do it for the fun.

1. profile image0

From what I see, some of us are here for more than fun!

8. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Sounds to me like your doing everything right, keywords ect. However a little patience is also required. smile

9. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

7 Days... 7 Cents.  That's pretty good going! hmm

Have you explained to your bank manager that such an earning has come about as a result of the credit crisis that your bank manager's colleagues helped create? hmm

What expectations did you have when you entered this industry?
    What is the Value of what you have Learnt since beginning?
    How will that Value Increase over time?
    Did you consider that writing well can allow you to improve your income over Time?
    What is your daily earning rate for doing Nothing?
    And:
    In 14 Days, if you have earned 28 Cents and increased your income by 100% would you Still look negatively on the situation?
    OR:
    Will you keep building on the progress that you are making and tell yourself (and your bank manager) that because you learnt that the value of backing yourself through the times when you only made 1 Cent per day; Was Priceless, You Succeeded at one of the hardest things one can do? hmm

1. profile image0

I see other hubbers earning money here and I was just looking for their advice to send me on the right track. Patience is a virtue, but I also want to make sure I am doing things that will help in the long run.

10. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

It looks like you are on the right track Wayne.

Impatience is something we all have when we are just starting out and want to know if our hubs are on the right track. I hope everyone remembers those days, I know I do.

I still get a little freaked out when things start moving around in directions I don't understand. I'm learning and that is all it looks like you are trying to do here. Thanks for asking the question and mentioning the other site. I've been looking it over and it's interesting.

1. profile image0

Thank you for the support and counsel. They are much appreciated.

11. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think you should stick with life123 since the payoff for you seems so immediate.  It would be hard to get that here in less than a week.

1. profile image0

I'm looking for the long term. Not impatient! Just wanting to make sure I am on the right track.

Thanks anyway!

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think impatience is a really good thing. I relentlessly learn how to push traffic and make money every day. Patience is what I have with small children learning to walk and talk.

I have found regardless of my hub structure and length, backlinking is the most critical thing to do to make money quickly with a hub. I have a series of blogger blogs, and I usually give 5 backlinks after writing a hub, and then a few more every month. Many of my hubs start making money within a week. They tend to be very seasonal and timely so that's important. If you create posts and backlinks every day on your blogger blogs, google will be there as soon as you write one.

12. flread45 profile image58
    flread45posted 14 years ago

In a year you should be making good money,if you stick with the process of time.
    As I tell my children,(you didn't grow up over night)!!

13. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I've just checked out life123 and it say's get paid up to $20 an article. You can earn so much more then that per hub here, it just takes a little longer, thats all. smile

1. profile image0

Yes, I believe you are right. Thank you!

14. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I would be interested in hearing more about this site, life123? I love hubpages and think of it as a long term investment of my time. I have lately been amazed at how some of my older hubs are doing, their hub score is starting to climb and I assume the newer ones will have to take some time to do the same. That said it would be nice to make some quick cash as well! I guess I am interested both in the short term and the long term so a good way to earn in the short term would be welcomed!
    This writing malarkey sure is a fun way to earn!

1. profile image0

Life123 will only earn up to 20 bucks per article, if you get 1050 views. It is not adsense or amazon, it is simply views of your article. I think hubpages will pay off in the long term better. I hope so. I do recommend life123. Changing things up a little is fun. They require all 3rd person style writing and the articles will have to be how to type stuff.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Rome is not build in a day, but you are not ROME, kidding aside, I think you need patience, i have earned only six dollars so far and i keep on learning the basic,

16. Flightkeeper profile image67

Six Dollars in more than a month is good Pretty!  And you've got 72 hubs already so you should get a payout earlier than average.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi flight, I just looked at it this am, I am happy with that one already,

17. Flightkeeper profile image67

That's a great idea Nelle. I keep thinking I should keep my blog separate from hubpages, but there really isn't any reason to do that and backlinking is such an easy supportive thing to do. Thanks.

18. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Just keep writing the hubs, I published my first hub 4 and a half months ago.... I know have 172......

In November I have earnt £38.18, and that is pounds not dollars! Which puts me well on course already for a £100+ a month income.

If every 5 months work brings me another £100 a month, it will take me 45 more months to get to £1000 a month. A long time, but I can potentially be earning enough money to live on.... with minimal work..... whilst also having a job.

Hubpages can change your life, but it is a royalty. If you are a singer/songwriter, and you release a song, would you want a small lump sum as a one off payment? Or would you take lifetime rights and small payments for life? I know what one I would take wink

19. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

Wayne, I looked at some of your hubs, and it seems to me that you're doing well for such a new person.  I've found that Google is indexing my hubs in about 7 days, in case you are interested.

Your hubs are informative and they have the ring of authority.  That is really important, and I shouldn't fail to mention you write well, too.

Here are some ideas:  I like to think about products that people will buy, even in a less-than-thriving economy such as we have.  For instance, there is no doubt that interest in gardening is on the upswing.  So I'm honing my gardening skills.  Now that takes patience!  But I'm not going to promote products on HP unless I have a reasonably firm grasp of the retail area. I want it to sound like I know what I'm talking about. Gardening is not for everybody, but I'm sure you can find some good niches.

Also, next week I will begin doing a 4-hr. volunteer shift each week as an airport ambassador at our airport.  I was barely a member of HubPages when I went through their orientation, and didn't connect my experience with HubPages, but now I do!  Our airport is ranked number 3 in North America for traffic.  Because our volunteer program is operating under the aegis of the retail shops and concessions, we are encouraged to visit the shops and see what they offer.  This can only be positive for me.  All I have to do is stroll over to the shops and casually ask them what their hot-selling items are.

I wish you the best of luck here at HubPages.  By the way, I grew up in South Central Texas.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am fascinated by an airport volunteer. What do you do? Is this at Dallas/Fort Worth. I fly through there frequently. I'll keep an eye open for you if it is!

2. profile image0

Thank you so much for your input. I just needed to know I was on the right track. You give some great ideas. Always good to hear from another quasi-Texan.

20. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

Hi Nelle,
    Yes, I'm going to be at DFW Airport.  It is fascinating, and I think being an ambassador will give me something to write about.

Ours isn't the only such program.  In fact, ambassador programs started in New Zealand, and a number of big airports in the U. S. now have them.  We are charged with helping passengers in the terminals navigate their way through the airport -- giving directional assistance, assisting with special needs and sometimes even special events.  Our volunteer program is the reason that DFW Airport continuously ranks #1 in the U.S. for customer service.

Hmmm... Nelle, at least we know what each other looks like.  Yep, you might see me sometime!  Our volunteers wear dark green blazers or vests, khaki pants, and cool brown Stetsons on our heads.  I am going to have a lot to learn, I can tell you that.

21. broalexdotinfo profile image55
    broalexdotinfoposted 14 years ago

LoL, it's not about getting rich here..

Not even near that.

You might get rich by other means, gaining friends, gaining some popularity, making yourself more popular, improving your writing skills, learning a lot of new things etc.

Al./

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)