Helping a hubpages beginner

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Robthom43921717 profile image61
    Robthom43921717posted 14 years ago

Hello

I have recently joined hubpages and was wondering if anyone would be kind enought to take me under there wings for a few weeks to help me learn the ropes of hubpages.

1. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have published 21 hubs in 2 weeks. That's good going so you're productive at least. You must have a little idea of what's going on?

And welcome to hubpages smile

2. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am no expert, but I can tell you that I learned the ropes by asking specific questions in the proper forum threads and by reading a lot of hubs on hubbing.  I agree that Shirley and Darkside are great resources, and there are many others as well.

I just read one of your hubs and I can give you a little bit of advice - if you want to be taken seriously and appear credible to readers, you MUST have proper grammar and spelling!

Know the difference between your and you're and when to use each.

Capitalize "I" always.

Don't copy and paste descriptions of items you're writing about from Amazon or elsewhere.  The underwear isn't being sold by you, so your description should not be saying "OUR underwear...."

You may also want to consider more words - I believe the "experts" here suggest somewhere between 350-800 is best.

Welcome to HP and good luck!

3. oderog profile image45
      oderogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to hubpages Robthom43921717, there is no secret at all learn from other hubbers, implement the strategies these hubbers are using, and always be a good student and you will pass your exams. TIME, PATIENCE, DETERMINATION, ORIGINALITY are the only secret you need to know

4. mailxpress profile image50
      mailxpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi and welcome.  Visit my profile and open any of my Hubs.  You will see a capsule linked to my YouTube Channel.  I have created three YouTube Video Clips on how to navigate and use Hubpages.  It took me so long to learn how to use Hubpages and thought I would create some free videos to share with newbies.  Enjoy.

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the best way to learn the ropes is to write hubs and read the forums. here is a great link:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4668

this way you get input from a diverse cross-section of hubbers. a lot of different hubbers have really good ideas. then you pick and choose what works best for you. (although i will agree that Darkside and a few others' hubs and forum advice are extremely helpful.) good luck!

2. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

oh yeah what can i do for you

3. VanesaJae profile image60
    VanesaJaeposted 14 years ago

I've just joined as well, and I just need some help on getting started :]]

1. oderog profile image45
      oderogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome, hope by now you have gone through Hubpages FAQ to get started

4. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Some one mention wings? smile
    Welcome to hubpages, your gonna love it. I would recommend reading others hubs about hubpages there really useful and helped me loads when I first started. Good luck smile

5. Hope Wilbanks profile image67
    Hope Wilbanksposted 14 years ago

I agree with wrenfrost56. Read other hubs. Get to know others. You'll find a ton of good info in both the forums and in other hubs. I think the most important thing is to write from your heart and write *quality* content. Don't throw up something just to say you've published a hub. Take your time getting your feet wet, but have fun while you're doing it.

As far as tips for creating your hubs, here are some things I've learned over the last couple of years (mostly by reading pointers from top hubbers and looking at other hubs):

- Include images
    - Include relevant videos when possible
    - Break up your content
    - Create sub-headings and headings to make reading easier
    - Share you hubs with others

Have fun! smile

6. Robthom43921717 profile image61

ok thank you evryone for your advice.

Im learning new things evryday and evryone is so helpfull.

thank you

7. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

Look up hubs by Shirley Anderson, and darkside. they will show you the ropes and how to make money writing on here.

1. smyankee profile image58
      smyankeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please give me the link to learn HubPages

1. profile image0
        Duchess OBluntposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you click on the "help" button on any page, this is the best place to start.

but if you need a link, here's one http://bit.ly/1gYiAe

8. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

If you have any questions, just post them on the forum. As you've seen, helpful hubbers are only a click away smile and what Wren said was right on--check out some hubs, leave some comments--you'll learn a lot that way big_smile

9. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Robthom, if you haven't done it already, post one or two of your Hubs in the Extreme Hub Makeover section.

10. Robthom43921717 profile image61

Ok, thanks guys

Im strugling to keep up with all this lol. I really cant belive how helpfull evryone is.

I know my grammar should be alot better but thats one of the reasons I came here to improve that.

Marisa, thanks for that suggestion about posting a few of my hubs in the hub makeover section.

And ive taken all your advice about looking at the expirenced hubers hubs ive learnt allot from them.

thank you evryone

1. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, you said you came here to improve your grammar (you need work on spelling and punctuation, too):

I'm (apostrophe!)..... can't (apostrophe!) ..... believe (sp) .....a lot (TWO words, not 1!) ..... I've (capitalize, apostrophe) ..... learned ('learnt' is NOT a word)

Speaking for myself, you just cannot be taken seriously when your grammar, spelling and punctuation are so bad!

11. shanekruger profile image59
    shanekrugerposted 14 years ago

keep daily activity on hubpages create hubs and join forums.

12. Robthom43921717 profile image61

Ok

I know my grammar, puncuation and spelling is not the best but i really struggled in school and i have a learning difficulty.

I'm trying my best to improve it and it is getting a lot better. If people dont want to read my hubs because of a few mistakes then it's up to them.

But still thank you for the advice. But I am allready aware of the fact that my spelling, grammar and puncuation needs to improve.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

so does mine. just some friendly advice. if anyones really upset, they wont read it. no big deal. looks like your doing alright. smile

13. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

There are a lot of Hubs with great tips and advice smile use the Search at the top and peruse the forums too. Takes time and we all started there too so do not feel bad smile do not worry about the critics hmm just use your spellcheck, dictionary, thesaurus and if necessary, English Grammar handbook. wink Welcome to HubPages. smile

14. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

Hubpages will help you no end with your grammar and punctuation. It's a problem I have too, and sometimes I just can't see where i'm going wrong. You learn something new everyday, keep going back to your hubs and spellcheck them. I find mistakes all the time and know one day I will look at one of my articles and it will be perfect.

15. Suki C profile image68
    Suki Cposted 14 years ago

There's some good, helpful advice here.  I agree with the issue of the importance of good spelling, punctuation and grammar.

As an ex-teacher and ex-proofreader, errors in these  areas  'leap out' at me.

(Now you'll all find errors in my work smile)

One other thing that I've noticed - I'm spending so much time here reading hubs, forums etc. I'm finding it hard to actually get down to writing!!!

1. Dame Scribe profile image57
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahh...the HP Forum Addiction wink you're not alone. lol a few others also afflicted. smile Maybe there's a HP Addict forum wink

16. profile image58
    George Blackposted 14 years ago

Hey guys. I'm new to hubpages also.  i don't really know the ropes yet. If anyone wants to criticize my hubs it'd me much appreciated wink

1. ParadiseForever profile image60
      ParadiseForeverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi George,
      Welcome to Hubpages! Don't worry about spelling, grammer, etc. You just start write what you know very well.  In fact, my mothertongue is some other language other than English and my schooling also was not in English Medium.  I have crossed more than 200 hubs. I have been here for more than two years.

So, don't loose your heart for not knowing English. You will definitely improve; for which you start reading top scoring hubs right from today.  For any other doubt, you are always welcome to the Forum anytime. We are all here to help you.  Keep writing!

2. ParadiseForever profile image60
      ParadiseForeverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi George,
      Welcome to Hubpages! Don't worry about spelling, grammer, etc. You just start write what you know very well.  In fact, my mothertongue is some other language other than English and my schooling also was not in English Medium.  I have crossed more than 200 hubs. I have been here for more than two years.

So, don't loose your heart for not knowing English(You said you are an author). You will definitely improve in hubstyle; for which you start reading top scoring hubs right from today.  For any other doubt, you are always welcome to the Forum anytime. We are all here to help you.  Keep writing!

17. littledevil1983 profile image61
    littledevil1983posted 14 years ago

hi, i havent been on here long and at 1st was a bit lost, but once i started writing, i havent been able to stop!!!
    Ive said some personal things on here as well as general thoughts and things and i find this a perfect way to let off steam or get something off my chest since i find it easier writing it and stranger reading it than talking to some1 i know. As well as serious stuff, i also have fun on here and when im bored, i use that time to think about my next hub, then im prepared to get typing when im on next :-)
    good luck
    x

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)