Your Hubber Poll Results are In

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Friday November 20, 2009.

Your results are in, and much to talk about. The number of hubbers varies a bit question to question so I am going to add this in, however I don’t feel as though it throws off the end results very much.

Thank you for participating in this questionnaire - the poll was well received and your input was most important. Thank you again.

Okay, let’s just go - 10 questions.  Hubbers range from 65 to 77 participants.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Questions-forHu … d-HubPages

Question 1 - It was asked
    Do you expect to make a substantial amount of money from Hub Pages?
    51% said no
    25% said yes
    24% stated it didn’t matter to them
    80 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 2 - It was asked
    How long do you expect it will take to be making an income on HubPages?
    41% said 1 year
    28% said never
    21% said 6 months
    10% said right away
    80 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 3 -
    What do you enjoy most about HubPages?
    43 % said making Hubs
    17% networking with other Hubbers
    15 % said receiving comments
    11% said forums
    6% said supporting other Hubs than your own
    4% said watching their scores
    2% said leaving comments
    1% said getting fans
    81 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 4-
    Do you fully understand the affiliate programs and how they work?
    31% said yes with a split of
    31% said somewhat
    16% said no
    14% said still learning
    9% said no clue, I am lost
    81 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 5 -
    Are you interested in seeing more tutorial mediums ie; video's for new Hubbers?
    56% said yes
    38% said no
    5% said they are still struggling with the system
    73 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 6 -
    Are your fans supportive in ways beyond routine comments?
    41% said yes
    36% said sometimes
    13% said supportive how?
    10% said no
    78 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 7 -
    Are the forums challenging, fun with enough topics for involvement?
    58% said yes
    13% said there are too many topics that shouldn’t be there / split with
    13% said Topics seem repetitive and irrelevant for the majority
    8% said no / split with
    8% said The bad topics die off quickly
    72 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 8 -
    What would you like to see improved most?
    26% said more creative options within the making of our Hubs ie; music capabilities
    16% said find a way to increase traffic ie; #7 here with the support of HubPages
    15% said more detail pertaining to individual Hub traffic/page views and score details
    15% wanted to be notified of being published to all Hubbers not just fans
    10% said more knowledge of the Hubber community, ie; how many, is everyone listed, maybe alphabetically not by score in a Hubber section
    6% said easier access to contact HubPages with questions or comments
    4% have HubPages newsletter emailed to all Hubbers when posted
    3% said more challenging topic suggestions in the forums / split with
    3% more communication from HubPages staff

1% more control regarding explanations to questions and answers
    68 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 9 -
    When do you find the highest traffic times are?
    60% said it varies constantly
    26% said in the evening
    9% said in the morning
    6% said in the afternoon
    0% said in the early hours of the morning
    68 Hubbers voted in this poll

Question 10 -
    Would you devote more time to HubPages if there was a guarantee of higher traffic?
    42% said yes
    30% said no-I spend enough time
    14% said It would be difficult but I would try and spend more time
    9% said I get enough traffic already
    5% I've spent enough time in this Hub already thank you
    77 hubbers voted in this poll

So there it is, I find some results interesting, most expected but pleased at the results - I hope you can elaborate more now as many of you said there is certainly more than one answer to particular questions.

Overall, Hubbers,
    -don’t expect to make a substantial amount of money from HubPages
    -and to make any  money will take about a year
    -Hubbers enjoy making Hubs best here at HubPages
    -There is an understanding of Affiliate programs but a need to understand more
    -There is a need for more instructional “how to” create Hubs and an understanding of it’s system
    -Fans are supportive above and beyond comments
    -The forums are challenging enough
    -The largest improvement to Hubpages would like to be more creative options within developing Hubs
    -Highest traffic times do vary constantly on the site
    -More time would be devoted to Hubbing if there was a means to guarantee igher traffic

Thanks Again, was certainly interesting and the results are also posted with the poll should there be any confusion.

Thank you.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

This was interesting lyric. Nice to have a composite look at Hubland.

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the update and the results. Also, it's much appreciated that you did this poll and posted the findings.

4. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

You are a Champion!  Great job with the poll.

5. profile image0

Does anybody think a certain poll is odd or surprising?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I found the result of question 8 surprising, as I would have thought more traffic would be more appealing than the music option, but hey, that's just me, I rarely even use video links either, for the sole reason I don't often watch them on other people's hubs.

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misty I've missed ya girl big_smile

I am never far away Lyricsingray big_smile

1. profile image0
            mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have some interesting polls on your hubs smile

Lyricsingray or me??? smile

1. profile image0
                mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have participated in both big_smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And if that involved music automatically playing when you visited a hub I would not be visiting that persons hubs any longer. Seems to me getting more traffic should outweigh everything smile

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

good job lyricsngray!

7. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Maybe you can give us a hint. My brain isn't working all that well yet this morning, lol.

1. profile image0

lol I totally understand lynne lol

8. articleposter profile image61
    articleposterposted 14 years ago

Good piece of data this is. Good job

9. profile image0

Thanks article big_smile

10. profile image0

Is anyone reading this? Fascinating and riveting stuff here hubbers :lol;

1. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am rivited!  More than I care to admit.

1. profile image0

lol lol lol I L U

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Good work, Lyric! I voted in the poll.

12. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Good facts to know from the mouths..er mouses of hubbers. lol
    Thanks Kimberly!

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Lyricsingray,

Are you not getting what you wanted? lol

Not that I'm surprised, because I am not. It's one of those things I have come to learn is called- 'selective' learning. People take what they want, without understanding of full comprehension of what people say or mean.

Believe it or not, I'm very disappointed in every hubber who has responded, but not done as you requested. So, that would lead me to draw the conclusion that they simply don't care or really not interested, but are taking part in the forums and being kind, because you gave them something informative to read.

But, then again, I could be reading more into it than there is, and it could be just a simple fact that they just MISSED the point you were trying to make? One, can never be sure. lol

The statement you used, as to 'elaborating' more now- since the poll is over, to create more insight into your poll- is what's been missed?

But, if there is something particular, you would like to discuss about hubpages- I'm all ears?

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, Cagsil, I'll bite.  Guess I'm just lazy. tongue

There was one question that gave me pause when I took the poll:

Question 6 -
      Are your fans supportive in ways beyond routine comments?

I was one of the 13% who answered "supportive how?"  I guess I don't expect much more than comments from fans which is why my response to:

Question 3 -
      What do you enjoy most about HubPages?

was "receiving comments"

Primarily my motivation for being at hubpages is to make money which is why most of my hubs are pretty commercial.  I would like to write a little more creative stuff for fans, and I will in time.  Just trying to build my portfolio of organic traffic generating hubs for adsense clicks. Most hubs are also tests for potential sites that I can use for additional income.

So, all in all, I spend too much time in the forums and not enough creating hubs, but when I am creating hubs I'm primarily money motivated.  Part of the reason I came to this site, though, was also for feedback on writing, which I have gotten.  I will expand on the creative side when things settle down, I suppose.  Okay, so I'm a shallow person only interested in income instead of interaction and support. hmm smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

Sorry, nothing for you to bite here. Maybe, Lyricsingray might be to your liking. j/k lol

How ever, my initial point I was making to Lyricsingray, was that many people nowadays are categorized in to groups "got to have now type" or the "hurry up and wait" type. Everyone came into the forum- read the OP and then took only what was necessary, without comprehending everything. Lyricsingray wanted more insight to what people think and share her own insights, so as to making the hubbering experience more enjoyable.

The fact that this was overlooked, is sadly disappointing. But, I appreciate you replying to what I said. It proves that my words to carry some weigh on some level, and does resonate with people.

I took the poll, as well. Lyricsingray is one of my most active fans and she reads everything I publish. She is very nice and always seems to add sincerity to my work. How ever, I cannot even be sure if I could tell you what I voted for when I took the poll- not because it isn't relevant, but because there is no reason to remember what I did vote on, because I didn't have questions about any of the questions in the poll. Nothing about the poll stood out, for me to memorize my participation.

The question you mentioned- supportive? This is in regards to your fan base. Are they supportive as in giving you additional feedback, which gives you insight. This is on your hubs, not in the forums. The forums are a different animal all together. If you're continuing to have good feedback and drawing more reaction from your base, then you're making them interact with you so you can get to know them better and you can better provide things for their interests, so you can make more money. It all makes sense, because everything you do on hubpages is all about interacting with others and not so much about making money, although you can make money being here.

If you're interested in knowing why I came to Hubpages, it is very simple- it let's me be me. It's wide variety of tools and people, make for an interesting and intriguing mixture.

I enjoy being here and I look forward to challenging people to be more self-responsible about their actions. If you will, a morality 'cop', per se. lol  Why? Because, when I look at society, as a whole, I see a bunch of people walking around aimlessly, unknowingly living out their life, like there is nothing they can do about their life, so the accept it for what it is not, less than perfect.

Life cannot be less than perfect, as long as, you wake up in the morning and you're alive.

1. profile image0

Cagsil, I think you are correct in groups of people making a choice as they have sums up the purpose of the poll, if I read you correctly.  Nothing here warrant further conversation given the votes speak for themselves.

I was asked and promised to post the results and those who were interested I hope it helped.

Again, thank you for participating and it was certainly interesting, but looking over the subjects now could have certainly been more specific and less general.

Maybe an idea for amore intimate poll at some later date
          Thanks

1. profile image0

I think I like where this one is going...

1. profile image0

LOL

this could get funky lol

1. profile image0

Or just get us banned!

1. profile image0

yeh 3 days to poll hmm;

1. profile image0

Just think, a solid three days to write withoutbeing interrupted by the forums. 
                    For most that would be a good thing, for me, maybe not.  I would flood the forums with three days of offensive and off color thoughts and ideas. 
                    I wonder what is the shortest span of time between bans is?

2. Cagsil profile image70

lol lol lol

14. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I'm also a thread killer.  Sorry, Kimberly. sad

1. profile image0

no your not and thank you for your input big_smile big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image70

Hey Jeffrey,

You didn't kill the thread, I had to have time to type out a response. lol

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
          Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Only thing I can add to what you said is that I do wish I had more time to read hubs and comment and offer help to others since I understand that a large number of hubbers are here for the community. I enjoy it and enjoy taking part, but there just isn't enough time in the day for me to give back what I've gotten at this point.  That's why I said I plan to expand creative writing when things settle down.  I'll write the boring how-to informational stuff that I know about for the search engines, and when I've gotten that moving maybe I can work on seeing how much everyone really likes my writing.

If you read my "Writing Is a Perishable Skill", you'll see where my true writing loyalty lies and where I came from, but right now survival is the goal.  HubPages is only one component of that, but the community is much warmer here.  So, I wish I had more time to give back rather than take away.  Well, enough rambling...gotta give the search engines some more fodder. wink

And, thanks again, Kimberly as the results of the poll are insightful. smile

1. profile image0

cool big_smile

15. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Now that was funny, Rmcrayne!

16. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

Hey Kimberly I was just wonderin , do we win any prizes for participation in the poll ? big_smile

1. profile image0

yes, everyone gets 3, 000 dollars and it' in the mail, I swear lol

17. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Excellent job,Lyricsingray! 
    Gives us some interesting things to ponder!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)