FTC - Blogger Disclaimer - WIll this affect our reviews on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

From what I understand, it affects bloggers that are directly paid to endorse or review a product. Here on HP, we don't get paid to write reviews (well, some of you might), however most of us do benefit if someone purchases a product that we reviewed from Amazon or Ebay via affiliate programs. So, in a way, we do get compensated for our reviews.

I can't find the FTC's actual new 'guide' to read, so I'd be interested to hear if any hubbers (or even the HP staff) have some further information on this.

Thanks!

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the FTC ruling has more to do with ethics (while not specifically mentioned on the FTC announcement, other commentators have used the word). So reviewing a product with a link for someone to buy isn't the same as being given that product to review or being paid by the company for reviewing the product.

Either way it's still a tax issue, but the compensation in the latter example is either prior, immediate or guaranteed.

I imagine the ruling will also apply to hubbers (though I imagine only US hubbers) because they say 'bloggers or other “word-of-mouth” marketers'. They probably would have been better off saying 'online publisher' but blogger will be whatever they want it to mean to be, be it reviewer, hubber, lensmaster.

All a person has to do is say "I was given this product to review by XYZ company". But I'm not sure how well it'll go down if a person has to say "I was paid by XYZ company to review their product".

The question is though, will people who HAVEN'T been given the product, money or other gift have to state that? eg: "In reviewing this book I was not sponsored, endorsed, compensated or otherwise bought off by Amazon, the author, the publisher or anyone else with a vested interest in this product"

2. LiamBean profile image79
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here you go;

http://ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

Also the site says: "the revised Guides specify that while decisions will be reached on a case-by-case basis, the post of a blogger who receives cash or in-kind payment to review a product is considered an endorsement. Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service."

Cash-in-kind means a direct payment from a manufacturer or vendor to review a product. The implication is that this transaction happens BEFORE the review is written.

That's my take on it anyway. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure that actually applies to hubpages as we do not get to decide what ads Google chooses...and they are ads. If we use Amazon or eBay we are only paid when someone buys. And that's where it gets sticky to me.

Hopefully by December 1 the FTC will have clearer rules.

3. darkside profile image62
      1. LiamBean profile image79

I wrote an entry on it yesterday. But I won't say what the link is. big_smile

Starting a thread for self-promotion is wrong, but contributing to the discussion in subsequent posts with an on-topic link is allowed. So please, post the link so I may read smile

1. LiamBean profile image79

Here ya go;

http://hubpages.com/hub/Federal-Trade-C … e-Blogging

I consider myself a bright fellow, but I don't read minds. If one can assume a government agency has a mind that is.

2. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 14 years ago

Yes, from what I can tell, any kind of relationship that involves monetary gain from an endorsement (such as a review) is included.

The document explaining the changes to the guidelines is here:
    http://www.ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005end … notice.pdf

3. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 14 years ago

I've an ominous feeling it also includes reviews of products, or recommendations for products, for which we receive affiliate commissions.  And from the wording I've read, there's even the potential to include situations where we review (or even give a casual opinion on) a product that is also being advertised on the page through an ad network (like AdSense) from which we get monetary gain. It's hard to tell at this point where the line is drawn and what is excluded or included. 

Anybody have any citations?  I'll be very interested to see the official document that (hopefully) specifies when it applies and when it doesn't.

1. chazlcom profile image61
      chazlcomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I went through the entire document, and the word "affiliate" is not mentioned.  Earlier news reports which interviewed FTC bureaucrats said that affiliate links would be included.

I would recommend two things:

1. assume the worst, and create a blanket disclaimer

2. post that disclaimer all over the web, whether you need it or not.

My guess is that surfers will see so many disclaimers that no one will pay attention to them.

4. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Hi guys, thanks for your awesome responses!!!

Fiction Teller: I, too, would love to see some actual citations from these new guidelines.

Either way, I am under the same assumption as Darkside:

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

....this is what stands out to me

The Guides are administrative interpretations of the law intended to help advertisers comply with the Federal Trade Commission Act; they are not binding law themselves. In any law enforcement action challenging the allegedly deceptive use of testimonials or endorsements, the Commission would have the burden of proving that the challenged conduct violates the FTC Act.

its nice in theory but without enforcement, and of course Nobody has the power to police the net at that level..its just some words on a page

1. mandybeau1 profile image61
      mandybeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Precisely my thoughts.

1. profile image0
        girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but I am wondering if Google Adsense may incorporate these new FTC guidelines into their TOS for US publishers. That wouldn't shock me.

Adsense ads are marked as being advertisements. And if a website owner/publisher does label them they can only use the words Advertisers, Advertising or Sponsors.

1. profile image0
            girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I should clarify. smile I meant that Google could perhaps change their Adsense TOS to ban sites that write reviews without a disclaimer that adheres to the new set of FTC guidelines. Just like they do for other types of sites (gambling, prescription drugs, etc.)

Ahhhh, I see what you mean.

I guess they'll have their lawyers look over all the pros and cons. It could be a case of not wanting to be held liable, therefore they don't include it. Say for instance HubPages, if they were to try and police it, they could be held accountable for all the published content of their members. Which to some degree they are (when it relates to Adsense) but it depends on how big a target they want to be.

2. darkside profile image62

That's stating that the Guide is an interpretation of the law.

The law takes effect on December 1st:

And there will be fines:

How will they police it? I imagine rival websites will be dobbing in their competitors for not complying with the rules.

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From the included sources:

The FTC said its commissioners voted 4-0 to approve the final guidelines, which had been expected. The guides are not binding law, but rather interpretations of law that hope to help advertisers comply with regulations. Violating the rules, which take effect Dec. 1, could result in various sanctions including a lawsuit.

Perhaps if your the lead blogger in the weight loss industry this scrutiny could fall on you (probably deservingly!) particularly when your competititors are foaming at the mouth to hurt you in whatever way possible.

Its still a pipe dream, the FTC does point also from included sources taht most likely they would go after advertisers not the bloggers, this could lead to some more fineprint in our advertiser contracts

Really, good luck figuring out who most top bloggers in high paying industries really are FTC enforcers ! But going after the advertisers who are showcased is rather easily done.

I really have my doubts on the success and implementation of this policy...they Just dont have the computing power to be anything but another number to call when you try and take down your comp...this will get old, quick, companies who would be impacted will just become international in name and have no worries about us law

did you see that the pirate party won seats in Swedish government!

Once the first case is succesfully tried, a reason and formula is created for the fine level etc.. etc, then maybe be interested

1. mandybeau1 profile image61
          mandybeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally like to hear from a Lawyer, everything is all O.K. in theory, but they are having trouble policing things such as Copyright Breach on the net. Also some people are in such remote places, that once they too are affected as are Americans, it would be Catastrophic trying to enforce. I just think people would ignore the Fines.
          Anything works in theory practice is a very different "Kettle of Fish"
          yeah saw the Pirate Party Trust Sweden. So liberal.

3. omniscribe profile image60
      omniscribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope you're right. To think an $11,000 fine would put blogging down with file-sharing. In file-sharing cases, laws were designed to relieve the burden of proof from the prosecution.

4. chazlcom profile image61
      chazlcomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mess with the FTC at your own peril.

What you don't want to be is their test case.  Comply even if you don't have to.

I agree that this will be impossible to enforce across the net, but don't do anything stupid and in their face to make yourself a target.

6. Mezo profile image60
    Mezoposted 14 years ago

Interesting stuff...I hope somebody from HP staff would explain what we have to do (or don't!)

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It is not going to effect HubPages as far as I can tell. And especially those of us who are not American.

8. Ellen_C profile image67
    Ellen_Cposted 14 years ago

I have known of instances for a company to send a blogger a sample of a product or gift card for having written something about their site and generating traffic for them after the blog has already been written. These gifts were not an incentive to write, but subsequent result of their page's successes. These types of things are becoming more common.

9. getting there profile image82
    getting thereposted 14 years ago

I spoke with the FTC this morning to clarify how this might affect bloggers, hubbers, etc. who use 3rd party or affiliate advertising such as adsense, ebay Network Partners, Amazon, etc. I wrote a summary of my discussion here: http://hubpages.com/hub/New-FTC-Guideli … l-Bloggers

I gathered from my discussion that this can affect someone who writes about a product and then uses services such as amazon or ebay that are designed to place ads for those specific products on your page.

I will be very interested in how this all plays out. I'm really curious about how they are going to enforce it. My guess is they probably won't enforce it, unless it is brought to their attention by a complaint or an additional infraction. I just know that the threat of $11,000 per instance is enough to make me want to stay well on the safe side.

10. getting there profile image82
    getting thereposted 14 years ago

One more thought:
    I think a likely scenario will be that google, ebay, amazon, etc will start placing the disclosures themselves along with the ads, rather than relying on the blogger to do it.
    What do you think?

Adsense ads say "Ads by Google". By stating it is an ad it is a disclosure.

1. getting there profile image82
        getting thereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Darkside, stating that it is an ad, is not a disclosure that it is sponsored. You may have noticed now that alot of adsense ads are displaying a shaded bar with text inside that reads, "Sponsored Links". That may be considered a disclosure, however I think even more clearly would be a statement like, "The content on this page is sponsored in part by these ads".

You could always just add your own disclaimer such as, "Thank you to all of our sponsors, whose advertisements have enabled us to bring you this wonderful information".

1. Whitney05 profile image83
          Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

As far as I remember, they've always said "Ads by Google". Sometimes in shaded bars and sometimes not, but like I said, as far as I can remember Google ads have always said  "Ads by Google," except the banner ads that sponsor one advertiser.

Excuse me Whitney, My mistake. Those were not google ads but MSN adds that say, "Sponsored Link".

2. LiamBean profile image79

I get from the announcement that the FTC is talking about a direct sponsor relationship. e.g. the vendor pays the blogger directly to write a good review. They even gave an example of what is not a violation. A blogger gets a free product that the vendor does not know about and writes a blog about the product. If the vendor has no direct knowledge and no direct relationship with the blogger then it's not a violation.

Google ads are pretty much beyond our control. We place keywords and Google determines the content. This is hardly a "pay for play" scenario.

LiamBean,
            You are correct that the FTC is more concerned about a direct relationship, and I think in most cases you are correct about google ads not being an issue. When I spoke with the FTC however they explained a scenario in which a relationship between a blogger and a seller could be considered "direct" with the use of google or other ads that place ads based on keywords. The short circuit works like this:

Seller of Widget places ads with Advertiser and instructs Advertiser to run those ads when certain keywords are displayed and agrees to pay a fee when people click on those ads. Advertiser then runs the ads on pages exhibiting those keywords and shares the revenue generated by those ads with the Blogger who created the page. Blogger realizes that it can be lucrative writing content with keywords that targets seller's ads and is of interest to Sellers customers and creates a desire within them to click on the ad to visit the Seller's site and/or make a purchase.

I see this being most directly an issue with e-bay and amazon type ads, but also with google, MSN, Yahoo, etc.

You can learn more about my conversation with the FTC, and the new guidelines by visiting my hub on the topic.

From what I read on your hub, your conversation with 'the FTC' was with a person who didn't know much about the ruling anyway.

Direct relationship or not, this ruling is not about advertisers. It's about endorsements. When people are paid to endorse a product but keep that fact hidden.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
                Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is actually quite entertaining - Why?

Because I can see this applying to the Wall Street Journal every time they announce a "recovery in housing prices." which really means "please go borrow some money so our advertisers will come back."  lol

3. darkside profile image62

You're complicating it.

The FTC's stance is that an advertisement, pretending to be an unbiased opinion/review, is misleading and unethical.

If you got cash or free product to endorse a product then that is the problem. An ad that looks like an ad and is labeled as being an ad is an ad. It's not pretending to be a personal recommendation.

This ruling shouldn't be new, it's been in effect for newspapers for years (at least here in Australia and in the UK). I imagine that the FTC is updating the existing law to incorporate bloggers and others who previously felt exempt from the rules.

11. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Thus, a consumer who purchases a product with his or her own money and praises it on a personal blog or on an electronic message board will not be deemed to be providing an endorsement. In contrast, postings by a blogger who is paid to speak about an advertiser’s product will be covered by the Guides, regardless of whether the blogger is paid directly by the marketer itself or by a third party on behalf of the marketer.

From Page 9 of the "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising"

12. steffer profile image61
    stefferposted 14 years ago

Well, i have read the complete guidelines and i still don't get it.

my 2 cents on it, is that ads like google ads are already disclaimed by google and so do not fall under these rules.

But...

I am an affiliate marketer and i use my blogs to market in various niches. So i guess, i need to state that i am affiliated with product x and i make money per sale generated

Am i correct?

And if so, what's the point of that, i am sure my sales will drop faster than a meteorite.

ps: some say it is only for americans, but the FTC says ALL bloggers, so what is it????

This is where it can appear a little hazy, but are you getting paid (in cash or in kind) to give a review? You might be making money from a sale, but it's not a done deal.

You can review a book at Amazon and have an affiliate link and it shouldn't be a problem. If on the other hand you were being paid by the publisher to give a review on Amazon.com then that would be a problem.

If there has to be disclosure for cases like that though I'm yet to see exactly how a person is to make such a disclaimer. Whether it's on a page on the site or in the footer. Or will it have to be as obvious as right next to the link? That I doubt, but I'm sure people will find out by December 1st.

American organisations often forget that there is a world outside of the US. The FTC's influence is contained within the United States. Though things can get a little blurred if the site is hosted on American soil. But that would mean a whole lot more work for not a lot of reward.

From what I understand, if a person is in breach, they'll get a cease and desist order to start.

13. steffer profile image61

well, i use blogger.com and wordpress, both hosted in the U.S

so that's also why i am a bit confused.
    i live in belgium, so in theory i am not an american, but am an american blogger trough the blogger hosting.

I think in theory you'd know whether you're an American or not wink

Are you getting paid (in cash or in free product) to write those reviews regardless whether or not you make a sale?

14. steffer profile image61

no i am not

if i don't make a sale, i get nothing
    so in that case i believe i don't fall under this category

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)