Should We Lover Others More Than We Love us?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image55
    akhilkarunposted 14 years ago

How should we love and care for others? Should we love them more than we love ourself or should we mind our business first?!

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The one makes the other possible. Neither is 'first.'

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love can never be measured! You just need to take care of yourself first before others!

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well i think you have to love yourself first.

i also think that you should love your children above anyone else and put their needs first, including before your own.

2. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 14 years ago

Some people love others before they love themselves. That is like putting the cart before the horse. One problem with that method is the effect when the love is not returned by the person who receives it. This can lead to low self esteem as the person feels unworthy to receive love. There is a good reason why God says to love your neighbour as yourself.Those who love themselves will not mistreat and abuse themselves. The good thing about self love is that when you know you are worthy of love, you can brave the tide of criticism and all the negativity people throw your way. As a result, you can help those who need your help. Yes, deal with yourself first and in the process you will find others who see the true you.Most of all, you will know how to love them.

3. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 14 years ago

If you truly Love yourself, instinctively you will know how to love and care for someone else.  There are sacrifices that you will naturally take in the name of love without any thought.  There is no such thing as loving someone more than you love yourself, and if you do that would be considered something else.  Maybe low self esteem or a need for you to be accepted in some kind of way........ciao

Vonda G. Nelson

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with you. very well said.

1. profile image0
        reeltaulkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thankyou rebekah

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

To understand "should we love others more than we love us?"

You need only one thing- LOVE YOURSELF!

This will grant you the ability to love others.

You can no more love them than yourself.

You can no more love yourself than them.

Have a Nice Day!

5. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

If you love someone, you love someone. I do think it's independent of how much you love yourself.

6. Stimp profile image61
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

Define "others"....other human beings, animals, god, etc.

I have a tremendous amount of love toward my animals (I have no children of my own).  I would say and others have said that I do love my animals more than myself.  Why?  Because they give back so much more than they are provided in a lot of instances.  An abused animal will STILL love and protect the abuser unconditionally.  THAT is love.

I will be honest, I don't really love myself unconditionally....sad, yes...but true.  there are alot of "if onlys" that go through my head.  Those "if onlys" don't go through their heads at all.  They don't care one way or the other if I've put on a few pounds, they don't care if my face breaks out, they don't care if my hair is the wrong color.  They ONLY care about ME.

7. TINA V profile image69
    TINA Vposted 14 years ago

Words of Wisdom about Love
    *  You cannot truly love others if you don't know how to love yourself.
    *  You don't love a person in the same way at the same time.
    *  When you love, do not expect anything in return.  You will be unhappy.
    *  Love because it is your will to love.  Give because it is your will to give.  Live because it is your will to live.
    *  Love is the greatest risk in life but it has the greatest result in time.

Just nice thoughts to share . . . :-)

1. Stimp profile image61
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Very nice thoughts.

8. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

You can not even begin to love another until you love yourself. Because love isn't something you get, it's something you give and because when you love someone you are basically giving yourself, then you need yourself to be something special, something valued above all else. When someone gets such a gift, they instantly know how precious a gift it is. Without love of your self, that gift is then a meaningless object, like another grain of sand on the beach. Love yourself, know yourself, and give yourself and you will know love.

9. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I can't say I'd use the word "love" toward myself at all.  What I feel about myself and the whole range of feelings I have for the people I love are two completely different things.  I pretty like the person I am as far as character goes.  I see my own imperfections and apparently "love" myself enough to think they aren't that big of a deal.  I take care of myself.  I feel as if I have solid sense of being a worthwhile person, but there are zero emotions attached to that "analysis" I have of myself.

Love isn't about self, though.  I once read a book that analyzed all types of love, and it said the one thing all the different types of love have in common in respect and admiration for the person we love.  I respect myself, but I don't admire myself.  lol   I look at someone like my three grown kids, and I admire them today every bit as I admired them as babies and children.  When I think about the love I've always had for them it makes me feel like my lungs are filling with air, and it can make me feel like I want to cry because the love is so "big".   So, I tend to think if we're mentally healthy and have appropriately sized egos it would not be possible to "love" ourselves - "like ourselves ok", maybe; but not "love" ourselves.  smile  In fact, with narcissism being what it is, I'd almost say that if we love ourselves that's the thing would make loving someone else impossible.  hmm

10. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I can't say I'd use the word "love" toward myself at all.  What I feel about myself and the whole range of feelings I have for the people I love are two completely different things.  I pretty like the person I am as far as character goes.  I see my own imperfections and apparently "love" myself enough to think they aren't that big of a deal.  I take care of myself.  I feel as if I have solid sense of being a worthwhile person, but there are zero emotions attached to that "analysis" I have of myself.

Love isn't about self, though.  I once read a book that analyzed all types of love, and it said the one thing all the different types of love have in common in respect and admiration for the person we love.  I respect myself, but I don't admire myself.  lol   I look at someone like my three grown kids, and I admire them today every bit as I admired them as babies and children.  When I think about the love I've always had for them it makes me feel like my lungs are filling with air, and it can make me feel like I want to cry because the love is so "big".   So, I tend to think if we're mentally healthy and have appropriately sized egos it would not be possible to "love" ourselves - "like ourselves ok", maybe; but not "love" ourselves.  smile  In fact, with narcissism being what it is, I'd almost say that if we love ourselves that's the thing would make loving someone else impossible.  hmm

11. xiao_kang profile image60
    xiao_kangposted 14 years ago

It would be a beautiful world if we all loved each other more than we love ourself. Maybe that day will come. In the meantime, it's a dangerous thing to love other people more than yourself. I've lived my life loving others far more than I loved myself, regardless of who or what that person is. Living like that has opened me up to all sorts of abuse, disappointment, and heartache. For those that love themselves far more than they love anyone else (if they love anyone at all) finding a person that freely offers their love is like winning the lottery. To them we've become an abundant source of encouragement, support, and the ultimate ego boost.
    Despite my bad experiences being a loving individual I refuse to abandon the thought that if I love first it will change the world. But wisdom has tought me that I can love I just need to do it with my shields on maximum and with my heart firmly intact. I have turned my love for others into a source of self-love, where when I love them I love me, continuously refilling my cup so that I can share with others.
    I will continue to love others more or as much as I love myself, and because of it my life will never be without love.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)