Are People Just Going Crazy?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (54 posts)
  1. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

Two nights ago, a father and his 13 year old daughter walked to the local market for some ice cream.  With them, they brought their 2 dogs and they were off leash.
    While walking down the road, one of the dogs sniffed the leg of an approaching person.  Words were exchanged and the man who got his leg sniffed, shot and killed the father in front of his 13 year old daughter...why?

Also recently in our local news: a 15 year old girl is attacked and raped by 6 or more assailants while at least 20 people watched and did not help her.

Thinking I might want to move!!

Is this everywhere?  Are people just becoming numb?  What do we do to change things, have things just gotten so out of control, what can we as individuals do and can we chabge things?

1. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's sad and it is a pity. My heart goes out to the 2 girls.
      Praying for families and for the nation is one option but it's one thing people just don't like to hear these days.

It does make a difference though.  smile

2. mistywild profile image60
      mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about everywhere, but in major cities like Houston, where I live, it's constant, it's everywhere. The idea is to aviod it, for instance, what if the father had his dogs on their leashes. You can't just up and run because danger is everywhere.... unless you can somehow get invited to Johnny Depp's island lol Best of luck.

3. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Humans have evidenced the same behaviors throughout history, from the time history was recorded.  The crazies exist now, as they did 5,000 years ago or more.

The thing that separates us from the ancients is instant communication.  In the past, a smoke signal might go up into the air to be seen by someone 20 miles away.  Today, a smoke signal goes up and is viewed around the world.

Animosity between humans is timeless.  It was then, it is now.

People are not going crazy.  There's an aspect of us that is crazy.  It just gets played out in different ways through time.

4. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In this post 9/11 world I get shocked by very little anymore. The fact of the matter is there are extremely unstable people that live among us and sometimes all they need is a little push to perform the unspeakable acts you described. As people on the opposite side of that spectrum we have to keep our heads on a swivel and do everything in our power not to escalate a situation. My heart goes out to both families.

1. mistywild profile image60

very well said sir.

5. The_Spencer88 profile image61
      The_Spencer88posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes everyone is going insane. Everyone.

2. sooner than later profile image59
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

Thankyou, you help my cause. Yes, people are getting "better". This is what we are evolving to. But those dang religionists are holding man back from being what he really wants to be. Only more frequent and more heinous.

3. sooner than later profile image59
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

no, this is the better world people. You just don't embrace it yet. Don't worry, you will. It will become so common that its not news, its logical.

4. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Unfortunately this is how life's always been. I read the prologue of Tale of Two Cities - the description of life in those days sounded so horrible; but it isn't different than the newspapers of today.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I am fortunate to live in an area with low crime. I can't imagine bystanders not lending a hand to help the victim. Down here, some good ol' boy with a gun would probably happen by and shoot the perpetrators!

lol lol it would be the same in the more rural parts of Texas lol lol

2. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That good ol' GIRL , might be me..."And that's one body that'll never be found, you see little sister don't miss when she aims her gun." lol

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Hi, Misty. Good for them!

it would be the same for me too, I look after my own lol lol, meaning my family, of course, but my friends, neighbors... you know, "my peeps" lol

7. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I think everyone is insane. Have you read the religion forum?

hahaha, I feel a little insane at the moment. I try to aviod the religious forums. Too may people getting heated about too many things. I like peace and tranquility.

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I am dead serious. I logically think all of us including myself could be completely insane all with the illusion that we are sane. We all continually state our beliefs over and over with the same results while we all expect different results. I could believe you are insane for one thing and you could believe I am insane for the other. So, we all could believe each other insane making us all insane. Was that insane?

lol lol lol little bit big_smile

I never claimed sanity. lol

lol lol me either lol "we all go a little mad sometimes" lol

True. Theres not much fun in pretending to be sane. lol

lol Maybe it is all a dream.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I stopped, just looking at the subjects and the people constantly posting...  I've taken it off my sign in page and just have certain forums listed that I'm interested in.

yes, there seems to be a heightened craziness from when I was younger, although it held the same dangers. but now there is constant news so we hear more bad news to fill up air time.

I say, turn off 24 news and all reality shows.

Rebekah, I think we should do the opposite. I think we should force ourselves to constantly watch the news and walk through the ghetto's to see the world we have created. I think we have already been too busy keeping our eye's closed. History proves this.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I understand what you mean, but marine, there are people who have news on all day, hype news, news that sensationalizes the true events, sometimes misrepresenting the facts. people have turned more mean spirited. I don't see a lot of altruism as a result.  I do agree that many have eyes closed, living in a self absorbed, 'if it doesn't affect me', I don't care world.
          If watching news all the time initiates positive action, then fine with me, but it seems to illicit more complaining and hate that we see in people everyday by what they talk about. My point is, less talk, more action, being pro-active, rather than reactive.

I posted a song/video last night on a thread that gives a glimpse of our world.
          http://www.youtube.com/user/rebekahELLE … RYBoJdhEEk

1. Make  Money profile image65
            Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A regular here at HubPages, Sandra who is a singer song writer sings a song with a similar message to that one you posted rebekahELLE.  The title of her song is "Open your eyes".
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMnWY23DUk

Here's the lyrics to it,

-----------------------------

Today I stepped outside when I began to see
            the world full of poverty.
            When there all starvin and I can do without.
            I pray that we can find a way.
            I walked the streets tonight forsaken what I have
            seen, a child who cries for me.
            he begged me for some help I didn't know what to
            say, so I pray that we can find a way.

I met a man without a name. and he looked so
            god dam cold and tired I didn't know what to say
            so we dropped down to our knees to pray when all
            I could think was.

is this what it's like to live.
            no place to rest your tired head.
            life without food, or a home,
            who will help the man.

just help him to survive.
            we all have what it take
            instead we turn our backs to man kind
            it's kind of a crime, what if it was you?
            what do you think we do.
            just open your eyes and see.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Make Money. What a shame you Christians are not prepared to do anything because you are not allowed to pray in school any more. Maybe if you prayed harder at home instead? IDK.....

Payback huh. Let us pray in school again and we will get out there and help the needy like we used to in..... Oh wait.............

Bring back segregation. Yeah dude - good idea. sad

8. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I think people don't really know themselves very well, they don't do much self-examination.  And when they do notice things about themselves and the world that they don't like they get stressed, fearful and do insane things.  I believe if more people really looked at the world, themselves and others and thought of it as theirs - they would take better care of themselves, others, and the world.  But everyone knows I'm crazy lol

Maybe if people recognized all those things you mentioned, they would only be more insane. lol

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm positive that's why I'm so very crazy, but at least I'm working on it.  I know it doesn't make sense - but placing blame on others and "the world" has something to do with it.

9. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Yes the world is crazy. Had a lady come to my yard sale today and wanted to know if she didn't like the printer she bought could she bring it back tomorrow. Who does that? I mean seriously would you ever take an item back to a yard sale?

1. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wuuuullll....maybe....like maybe if it were a doll and the hair fell off the next day.  But definitely not a printer thats just nutty. lol

10. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

On top of that my sister jumped my daughters sh** yesterday because she chose to eat a banana instead of one of the heavy deserts for her desert. Insane!!!

11. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Yes, I think so, especially after a recent massacre here where 57 people were killed just to protect the political ambitions of a certain family. Crazy? Definitely!

12. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

but, YES, to answer your question, people are crazy.

btw, I love the pic of you and your black lab!! I also just recently rescued a black lab. He is beautiful, only a year and 1/2 and so good! smile The woman could no longer keep him in her apartment and I was looking for a new pet... and now he has a wonderful back yard to play in.

caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was reading the posts to my question and found, how do I explain this...Last week I got on a forum in regards to "gay marriage"  yes or no.  The passion of some of the writers views on this subject were very deep.  And the majority was a definite No and the reason was they wanted to protect the sanctity of marriage...very passionate discussion.

When we talk about a man being shot while getting ice cream with his 13 year old daughter or a 15 year old girl being raped while 20 bystanders watch and do nothing or any other kind of violence we are so everyday about it.

It seems having a "right" given or taken away is more important than destroying a life, and people going crazy and having no regard for human life is becoming okay with our society or the ease of turning our backs on the situation with hopes that someone else will take care of it...justice? lol

rebekahELLE:  thanks for the compliment...Hank was also a rescue at 1.5 years old, he was a foreclosure dog, found tied up with no food or water, he was deemed unadoptable because he wouldn't stop barking...2 years later he is so happy he doesn't have time to bark...most greatful animal I ever had the pleasure of raising...funny how they just know.  Enjoy your new addition, I'm glad to hear stories about dogs/cats being rescued.

13. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I agree - people are going crazy. The violent crimes are no longer the rare event evoking shock and horror, they are occuring frequently and it seems as a society we are not yet motivated enough to correct it.

I agree we are more aware of these events because of the great communication means today. I do think we are desensitized as we see violent crime constantly on the tv and film, and the music reflects the violence as just "how it is". Kida can kill 100 people on a video game played before they go to school each day. The constant exposures wear down our nature sense and it is more tolerated.

The reasons why it is happening are many...People are less connected - we used to be tight families in communities and were more protective of our own. Now we don't even know who are neighbors are. Most kids do not have an intact family and the benefits of to protect and provide for them. They grow up without what they need in relationships, nesessities and personal values. All too young they get into drugs, gangs and crime and have kids while they are still kids. And most people are so concerned with making money and being sucessful that they don't ven know what their kids are facing and doing.
      Life is very hard for those who do not have what they need. People are living on the edge. Lack of food, money, access to mental health help for the poor; these could help someone from going over the hopeless edge. But there is not enough help for as many are losing it.
      Our legal and judicial systems are also at fault. Lawyers are manipulating the system to get a murderer off on technicalities. Judges give a handslap for rape. And many crimes arn't even prosecuted because of frivolous reasons. The criminal has more rights than the law abiding citizen and they flippin know it. If the penalties were not worth the risk I think things would change.
      We can change it if we decide to. Vote for change, make a sacrifice, make it a priority to help a kid in need. There is so much we can do to change the news.
      Good thread.

I so agree with everything you are saying...I am saddened that children are playing such games of violence and unfortunetly we are living a "Death Race"...it scares the #@*! out of me. 

I look at my 6 year old grand daughter and 4 year old grandson and imagine the World they will live in.  Unfortunetly, I believe this upcoming generation is being raised with the worse values and morals than any other generation, I always seem to be the one on them for their attitudes and laziness, my kids just seem to be to busy...I remind them that if they do not get control of these kids...discipline!!!  Uuuuggghhh!

The Vote for Change is to start in our OWN homes, keep the government out of our Homes and Raise your Children.  I am very much a open minded person, I gave my children a lot of liberties...some I regret today, but neither of my kids told me to shut up, f-off and they respected their elders...and they know who their parents are.  That is the change that needs to be made, showing their children who the parent is and teaching  respect for life.

14. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

there are many reasons I only meet the public well armed. These would be but just two among many.

The answer, constant awareness, heavy calibers and quick reactions.

15. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Is this the religion forum?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Looks like it. wink

16. Make  Money profile image65
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Sure thing Mark.  Maybe we should all give to Richard Dawkins charity for poor militant atheists. lol

17. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

Wasn't ment to be religious...that's why I posted it under politics and social issues.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It look s like crazines goes hand in hand with religion
      Makes me wonder...
      lol

Absolutely true...God is everywhere and should be, really just didn't want to get into a discussion in regards to God vs Atheisim...those discussions just sadden me.

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, they should be kept in religion forums.
          I don't know why, this happens all the time .People should be more sensible than spreading their  beliefs everywhere.

18. Presigo profile image61
    Presigoposted 14 years ago

I too wonder what is going on. So much pain in the world. It is my contention that people do not fear God. If he doesnt exist then why be afraid ? The only fear that is driven is if we were to get caught. Sad that we have removed God from our lives, so many vulnerable people are unprotected the biggest and the baddest get what they want. Its not how we are suppose to be

19. Presigo profile image61
    Presigoposted 14 years ago

Cara, I agree the do get old. That being said its seems people do not feel accountable, they seem very angry and self indulged

20. AnywhereGardener profile image59
    AnywhereGardenerposted 14 years ago

This Sunday morning around 8:30 someone walked into a local coffee shop where police are known to visit and killed four police officers, executed them. They are still hunting the guy down that did it.

21. AdsenseStrategies profile image62
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

This is the media screwing up your perceptions.

This sort of thing has always been going on, everywhere, but now we have mass communications so you can hear about it all the time.

A good yardstick is to observe the people around you. If, most of the day, every day, people are being basically civil to one another, then people are not going crazy. I've lived in a few places and been to many (former communist eastern Europe, the Middle-East, elsewhere in the Arab world, sub-Saharan Africa); everyone is basically the same, and everyone is basically sane :-)

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree.

22. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I have to agree with the viewpoint that the world has been a violent place for a very, very long time.  When I was a teenager in Montana, fifty or more years ago, a man was shot to death in a bar in the town of Dillon over a dime to use the pay phone. 

Life can't get much cheaper than that.

But, going insane?  Nah.  Like others have posted, we've always had the insane with us.  If not, why as a kid would we hear a friend say, "You're driving me crazy!" and respond with a ters, "Short drive!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)