If there was no God to worship, who or what would people worship?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (48 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

If there was no God to worship, who or what would people worship?

1. profile image0
      Ken R. Abellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A sports franchise, a celebrity, a job, a car, a family member, making money, a fantasy...

The list is likely endless.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't people do this already?

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Gooo Adrian Peterson!

lol lol

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually I think that this question has much more depth and I can already see where you might go with it. Kinda like If a name had never been put on "God" and if it had never been institutionalized, What kind of relationship with, Or what understanding of this power that influences the universe would be considered as real.   WHAT  IF ???   Hope it goes well

lol no hidden agendas on this one.

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry. I'd be intrested to see the question be understand  that way.  I did.  Anyway welcome back

Thanks. I mean, people could worship child molesters if they didn't worship morals or a faith. That would be disturbing.

3. advisor4qb profile image75
      advisor4qbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, based on the things I believe, if there were not a God, there would be no people.....

If there were no people, would there be a God?

4. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lets see:

Themselves lol
      celebrities are a good one
      mommy's & daddy's
      the almighty dollar
      the porcelain god

lol lol lol

2. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the porcelan god only gets me when I'm sick with the flu lol

5. profile image56
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, nothing at all. Why do we need to worship anything?

6. Danny R Hand profile image60
      Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what they do worship even with God existing.

THEMSELVES!!!

7. jimbo9 profile image69
      jimbo9posted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is an Almighty God, creator and upholder of all things by the word of His power. He is the first cause of everything as nothing cannot create something. Nevertheless, people still worship false god's and always have as many prefer to worship the creation rather than the Creator. Every blessing. Jim Hogan.

2. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

Are you trying to say we don't already worship the almighty dollar?

1. profile image0

I wasn't saying that . . .

3. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Well, maybe I should have said: What would people worship besides the "materialistic". You guy's are right, some already worship the things you listed. lol

1. profile image0

But now you've made it harder to answer. :>)

IF God did not exist, we would create him in our image.  We actually do quite a bit of that already.  We would put him in a box that we could easily command, kind of like a Genie who would grant us our every wish.

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Actually there are plenty of gods and goddesses that ppl might worship, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian ect.

Why do you think most of us are dependent to search for something or someone more than ourselves to believe in?

1. profile image0

For me it's a comfort level, knowing that I have someone watching over me and protecting me. But that is just me can't answer for everyone else. They have to make up their own minds about believing or not believing in a hight power, God, god, or goddess...

I can understand that.

2. Cagsil profile image71

lol lol lol

5. profile image0

Hey Marine I've got a question for you...not related to this one but wanted ask if you believe in spirits, entities, ghosts?

By not believing in absolutes. I believe anything to be possible. Even things that defy logic. I think anything less would be limiting.

1. profile image0

Cool just wanted to see...I'm into paranormal things like this and just wanted to see if you were too smile

Yes, I don't play with ouiji boards though if thats what you had in mind. lol

1. profile image0

Yes you do Marine don't lie lol And no I'm talking more of the parapsychology stuff thatn the creepy ouiji board

Ah, alright, yes, I would go ghost hunting!

6. earnestshub profile image78
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Something invisible to others! it's a one-upmanship thing! lol

Nice to see you Earnest.

1. earnestshub profile image78
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey marine! You're lookin good. smile

Ty, I just got a haircut and a bath. You are looking good yourself in a straight male to another male kinda way. lol

Wow a bath. I washed last year and try not to be an extremist about bathing. lol

Earnest, I don't really know what to say. touche! lol

7. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

People all over the world have already replaced God with celebrities, politicians, fame, money and for the more honest among us themselves. Most people worship something and its doesn't have to be a God, or even religious. Now getting them to admit to it is another matter entirely. I have met few people that did not look up to something above themselves and idolize it in some way. Is that necessarily a bad thing if it drives a person on to new heights greater achievements and a better life? Hell no!!!

We are inquisitive curious creatures, we ask questions and constantly seek for new experiences and moments, we search for answers. Whatever can give us reassurance and some kind of solution to our pondering we will inevitably grow fond of and look up to. Science is comforting to me, it shows me order and pattern in the midst of chaos and calamity. Even in natural disasters we can still find a series of events and instances of occurrences that conclude in a moment of fury and energy that amounts to nothing more then nature trying to restore a balance. It is tragic and horrendous when thousands die at nature's hands but it is easier for me when I understand why these events happen. On the other hand I see faith and I respect it, and keep it around, because I am a man of experiences, feelings and emotions. I have lived a hard life and seen many things.

In that time I have seen things that defy my ability to explain and reason, and at moments when all around me death has come and yet I walk away unscathed, I have to wonder why. There are just some things that do not make sense, they seem to defy logic, and even physics and at these moments I feel in my heart that there is just something more, then Religion, or science. There is something more, we are something more. This ongoing debate doesn't answer those questions at all in fact it only raises more. So for me with God, or without, I am still something more then an organic collection of cells, matter, and organs, yet that is exactly what I am. I do not know if God is there, or not, but I do know that as far as I can tell I am here, and while I am I will push on looking for answers, but more importantly I will live my life because that is what I am, I am life.

Nicely said.

8. profile image0

sorry I hijakced your thread and got talking about ghosts my bad marine

I forgot what it was about. Now I want to hunt for ghost's.

1. profile image0

lol okay let's go hunting big_smile

Cagsil you coming hunting too?

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Someone hijacked the thread?

Okay, where we going now? lol lol

j/k

3. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

exactly and why do people have to worship anything?  This really is dumb - and here I am posting again - there is no need to worship.

4. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years ago

i like to believe in a god . but never would i believe in one that needed worship.

Very wise I would think. Why worship anything that insecure! smile

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

money

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)