Stockholm Conference on Global Warming

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (89 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

With the conference on global warming taking place this week in Stockholm Sweden, is there enough information to make concrete plans as to how it can accomplish what it sets out to do? The recent scandal of falsifying reports in emails, does it make sense to base decisions on half truths or total lies?

1. DogSiDaed profile image59
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was in Copenhagen?

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Climate change conference on global warming is organized at Copenhagen in Denmark and not in Stockholm, Sweden. The COP15 has started today the 7th and will last up to December 18, 2009.

COP15, Copenhagen is also being called Hopenhagen. There may be some scandals but the conference is significant. You may refer to some hubs about COPENHAGEN AND HOPENHAGEN.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the correction.

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They've moved it?

3. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

uhhh Don't you mean Copenhagen ?

1. DogSiDaed profile image59

Haha yes he does. I love the fact that he throws huge arguments everywhere and got that wrong XD Still it's not a hugely relevant slip, albeit a funny one tongue

I am more than willing to admit my mistake.  I was reviewing the Stockholm agreement and somehow used that conference as the new one.  I thank you for the correction and hope that I did not offend you with my huge argument based on a mistaken locale for the current meetings.  I hope you would check out everything I say here and verify if I am on track for your edification as well as mine.

2. rhamson profile image71

Thanks for the correction.

3. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years ago

It will contribute to global warming through the creation of a lot of hot air and nothing else.

Is there nothing to be salvaged from the wreckage?

4. tksensei profile image60

NO, it will be a waste of time (using up lots of energy, btw).

So you claim there is absolutely no global warming taking place?

1. tksensei profile image60
          tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say anything about that. I said this conference would be a waste of time.

What do you think should be done to address the situation and find a way to get the science and government to act on it?

The situation that the conference will be a waste of time?

So what should be done outside of the conference taking place?

Not outside, instead of.

Ok, what should be done instead of the conference?

2. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Climate change, climate change! If you're going to spread fear to the mass of dolts who voted for Obama then you have to use the latest terminology!

I take it you believe there to be no Global Warming affect currently taking place?

1. profile image0

No I really don't believe Global warming or Global cooling is occurring!

Do you believe there is no Global Warming taking place on some science or because of the scandal that has taken place recently due to the emails?

2. DogSiDaed profile image59

I'm not sure you could call those people dolts XD If I was in America I would have been stuck in the elections, but voted for Obama just to get Sarah Palin as far away as possible from the White House. Had McCain not picked her I think it might have been closer. Still, that's not really the point of this forum post, and it's away in the past. Sorry for sidetracking! tongue

5. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years ago

It doesn't have to be a consensus vote, Individual corporations or nations can participate and let others catch on...

But what would inspire them to act if it would add costs to their products and what possible effect could their small actions prove to make a difference?

1. profile image0
          Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It starts with a single person, and so on...

2. profile image56
        C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good answer! Scare tactics and accusations only threaten credibility.  Reasonable measures should be taken, not some hair brain tax scheme hitched to a science thats no where near fully developed. We should be doing right by the enviroment because its the right thing to do. Why should world governments be able to profit off this? Sounds like they have stolen a page from the televangelist's playbook!

6. tksensei profile image60

I know! Let's cook up a false crisis and insist the world panic as if the end were coming tomorrow or thereabouts (paging Mr. Gore). That'll give 'em a real kick in the pants!

What forum could a reasonable conversation take place in so as to have both sides be heard without any predetermined expectations?

7. tksensei profile image60

Insisting on a doomsday scenario, complete with totally unrealistic 'goals' that will never be met and would create economic devastation if they were, instead of promoting environmental protection and the reduction of pollution as ends in themselves may ultimately set back real and attainable improvements world wide.

Your answer evades the issue I am asking of you.

Is there something outside the constraints of the current conference in Sweden that could be done minus all the hype and hoopla that is marring this conference. 

How would it look and how could it be initiated?

You're thinking of some centrally planned, obligatory, one-world-government type thing, aren't you?

I am merely asking what you would propose be done.  Do you have an idea or not?  That is all. I am trying to reason with you and understand if you have a suggestion. I am not proposing any world government scenario.  For any plan to work if you have one, there would have to be global cooperation for it to be effective don't you think.

8. manlypoetryman profile image80
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Global warming...It just snowed in Houston at the first of December before our tree leaves even changed color...and fell for Autumn. No Global Warming in "H"town...this year!

There is a part of the scenario explained by scientists that predict the vast changing of typical seasons as we have become used too.  Whether or not it is true it has been predicted.  A sudden warming is not in the predictions so the recent weather is not a good case to cite if you believe the Glodal Warming is not happening.

1. profile image56

rhamson, the problem is scientist have been predicting all kinds of things. In the 70's and late 60's it was an ice age....it never stops.  Read some of Al Gore's early writings. He clearly states that skirting the truth is acceptable if the end results are good for the enviroment.....fast forward to 2009.....cap and trade......carbon credits....who's at the center of it all?

9. egiv profile image60
      egivposted 14 years ago

I can't understand how anyone with a brain is arguing against global warming. Among people who study it, who have dedicated their lives to the study of earth, it is not a debate.

The issue is curbing the power of industrial companies and setting limits on the amount of CO2 emmissions. It is extremely difficult, seeing as these industries are the backbone of modern infrastructure. Hopefully getting some caps set will be a step in the right direction.

PS. Not to be that guy, but it's in Copenhagen.

1. profile image0

Rahm Emmanuel is that you?

2. tksensei profile image60

...who make a living off it, have become rich because of it, have a vested interest in it...

1. egiv profile image60
          egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what world you are living in, but academics aren't exactly the most money-hungry people ever. There is much more money in the industries they are fighting. Like, waaaay more. It would take quite a conspiracy to falsify all the solid evidence that proves global warming, just in the interest of the few that are trying to profit.

LOL! Who told ya that?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
              Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you checked out most of their salaries?

Yeah, seems they could do with a bit more, couldn't they?

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

It's all relative ; compare their salaries with those of oil execs... mmmmmm....

Making my point for me.

Sorry. You'll have to connect the dots. In an overall view of things you are saying that academics have a longer track record of trying to fool the masses for their own gain than *corporation* *executives*? I'm missing something, right...?

10. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years ago

@CJ Wright I understand what you are saying and you can't pick just one thing and say that this statement is true so all of it is true or vice versa.

There is some evidence to what has been put out there that things are different than in the past and that Man has had some effect in it.  Whether you want to believe the glaciers receeding or the CO2 emmissions have increased more quickly than in the past there is some credibility to the theory.

Do we have to change to make any real affect on the enviornment is something that we can do if it is neccessary.  But how do we find out if it is neccessary if we can't come to an agreement as to how to proceed?

This whole thing has become like a big ball of crap.  No matter where you pick at it it still stinks and it gets on you.  It happens to both sides of the issue.

1. profile image56

By using the KISS method..."Keep it Simple, Stupid" 
        Facts: Putting known carcinogens in the air is bad for PEOPLE.
        Solution: Put less known carcinogens in the air.

I would ask all those who truely believe in global warming to stop driving their cars and adapt a vegan diet....It looks as though its about 50/50 in America, as to those who believe/don't believe. Certainly if 170 million people significantly changed their lifestyles for 10 years there would be an appreciable change in the enviroment if the science is correct. Wouldn't there?  Take a pole in LA, I bet its 75% or greater for those who believe global warming is the boogy man. Now log on this afternoon and watch the traffic cams in LA......
        You want a tax to support global warming? Fine, tax the crap out of people driving in urban areas.

The only problem with simplifying a solution is what is overlooked.  There could be a tax that might supply some solution but going by rough figures without scientific tehory to back it could prove even worse for us in the future.  In essence we would have done a lot of uneccessary work and effort for not enough progress and wound up in the same place.  Too little too late.

I don't agree that there should be a leave it up to the ones who care attitude when we are all a part of the problem.

1. profile image56

Taxes in of themselves solve nothing. No tax will solve global warming, if it in fact global warming does exist and poses the danger some state. If your statement is true, then the opposite is also true. Thereby creating tax incentives for those items that are energy efficent(electric cars, energy efficient homes and appliances) will also provide solutions to global warming....

The same crowd that is so adiment about global warming also believes in the supposed overpopulation crisis.  My question to them is this: Isn't Universial health care, vacines, cancer and aids research counter intuitive? Shouldn't we just let natural selection run its course? Apparently not, simply taxing these things solves all the problems...sorry, I just don't see the logic in that.

I don't think you can avoid some sort of tax when coming up with a solution to this possible problem.  Tax credits or what have you.

I think if you wish to group people together in one frame of mind then we get back to the big ball of crap situation.

I hear so much against the thoughts and ideas presented with regards to Global Warming and find a wait and see attitude from the anti theorists that I wonder if in fact we we all be subjected to doing nothing in the process.  This will eliminate any more discussion and allow us to wait for our fate whatever it is.  I really get tired of the do nothing that costs money answer to these problems.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
                Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with this.  Why are taxes better or necessary?  When government and certain scientists can't be completely transparent about this, how do I see what good the taxes are doing?

There was a good oped yesterday by Eugene Robinson.  It points out how the discussion isn't focused on all the right things, and also points out that global warming isn't necessarily all gloom and doom.

Cooling could be just as bad and probably worse, but I'm not convinced that it's a man-made problem either way.  I don't disagree that we could stand to limit our use of resources, but I believe a model offering incentives rather than taxes would be a better alternative "solution".

I only say that taxes would be involved because nothing really gets done in this material world without someone getting payed to make the change or somebody paying not to change.

2. profile image56

What do you expect rhamson? The public approval rating of congress is below 30%...they are the ones writing the tax laws.....The head of the ways and means commitee apparently doesn't pay taxes.....It's your "slime on the hill" thats causing all of this upheaval. Government is NOT the solution to this problem.  Government may be able to help enforce or encourage a solution, but in the end its up to the people.

grouping people is normal. Its human nature. We are social creatures. Granted we are capable of indipendent thought...well some of us are!LOL (NOT DIRECTED AT YOU!) There is no doubt that "herd mentality" has gotten us into the mess we are in.

I'm not saying only those who care should pay for a solution. My point was if its true, then prove it with real time empirical data. Thats SCIENCE! The other point is this, how much do people believe in the theory if they aren't willing to put it into practice? Believing in a theory isn't going to solve global warming if it exist. Scientific method is hypotheses, test/retest, collect data, conclude.....we are skipping the most important part! Observing the ice pack and seeing it melt concludes nothing! Finding carbon particles in the ice only proves that there are carbon particles in the ice, NOT how they got there! The facts are there is not enough empirical data available to be making drastic statements and decisions. Especially if those descisions are being influenced by those who stand to profit from them significantly.

Well the scientists have shot themselves in the foot with this gerrymandering of the statements and evidence of Global Warming.  The argument carries much weight for the anti Global Warming groups when proof of a misdeed can be pointed out.  The tendency to allow this to cloud the other facts is dangerous and foolish if the Glabal Warming is taking place.

I agree that before we can make any determined effort in deciding the move towards pushing tax dollars and laws to stem it we must have a full understanding of it.  A rush towards regulating and especially penal lawsuits based on shoddy research will only create more chaos and government corruption and take us farther from the goal.

In the meantime I am doing what I can by driving a sub compact, lowering my thermostat and turning off my lights as much as I can.

11. tksensei profile image60

I'm saying the problem is that you are looking for a "plan."

12. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years ago

A plan is a start.

13. tksensei profile image60

The problem is that it is also a finish.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Everything that starts must have a finish.

Sometimes they are the same

14. DogSiDaed profile image59
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

There is 324.16 miles between Stockholm and Copenhagen I am told...

15. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years ago
    16. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years ago

its a scam like y2k was

17. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It was one group of about 6 scientists who decided to falsify things. That does not make the entire theory false or a scam.

18. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

I believe in global warming (generally speaking). However I suspect that this conference will be a lot of hot air. I am not saying they shouldn't have it (necessarily), I just think that governments rarely do what they say they are going to do, in any case.

I think, however, that we can all agree that POLLUTION is a bad thing. This is one thing that has China worried, because they are building coal plants like there is no tomorrow ( smile ) but the government knows that people in their cities are walking around with face masks on, on some days...

Anyway, I'd say this:
      fossil fuels keep you tied into the Middle-East: BAD
      fossil fuels keep you at the mercy of gasoline companies: BAD
      fossil fuels make an unholy mess (go to Alberta and have a look: BAD
      fossil fuel production pollutes rivers and lakes, and freshwater is one of those things we might want to preserve... : so BAD

In addition, chopping down the world's great Rain Forests is a crime, in my book, an "objective wrong."

In other words, ditch global warming science if you want. The issues are the same -- hydrocarbons are not good news. Chopping down forests is not good news. Polluting sources of drinking water is not good news.

Of course, for anyone who owns a company, factory (or a car), the idea of breaking the monopoly of big power companies by promoting local wind and solar generators is good news -- generating electricity for free is good for the bottom line...

Think about it. The rule of thumb is always to follow the money trail... Who stands to gain from nothing being done?

The economy does not have to suffer -- in fact, forcing a society to convert to a new way of life has to create huge numbers of jobs (and, as I say, companies that can save power and energy costs become MORE competitive...).

So, I repeat -- who stands to gain from nothing being done.

As a Canadian, I know the answer very well. We have an "oil" prime minister from an "oil" region of the country, watch him dance, this week...

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure it will be hot air, our Prime Minister is going even though he doesn't believe we have problems and has refused to follow most guidelines. He is doing it for political reasons alone...

Just added a bit about Canada for you, on the bottom smile

2. profile image56

GREAT RESPONSE! THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!!! People don't want to admit that they may have been had, duped, led astray, run amuck..... If you do the research into how data is obtained.  If you do the research on the scientist and supporters. You start to see the idea that this issue has become tainted by politics.
        The issue is NOT Global Warming. The issue is being better stewards of the enviroment. Plain and simple.  The rest is picking sides and name calling.....

If more people took this attitude, a lot more might get done.

2. rhamson profile image71

Your statement is a bit duplicitous.  On one hand you state that there is no Global Warming and on the other hand we could better served by reducing it or the very least watching out for it happening.

Does the theory have any merit if this is what you are saying?

Did you miss the last three sentences?

No but I guess you did not understand mine.  If there is no Global Warming why would we have to change any of our habits to keep it from happening?

Hello?

"The issue is being better stewards of the enviroment. Plain and simple."

2. profile image56

Where did I say there was no Global Warming? I stated "The issue is NOT Global Warming."

These scientist, activist and especially politicians are being duplicitous. Is it not duplicitous to believe that the "slime on the hill" is the only way to solve global warming?

No the theory has no merit in the context it is proposed. The theory is a radical attempt at getting to a worthy goal(getting the world to be better stewards of the enviroment). The issue of Global Warming is a vehichle, not a phenomenon. Problem, the vehichle is loaded down with crack pots, criminals and opportunist.

Do you know how Average Global Temps are calculated?
            How many methods are there?
            What are the constraints, assumptions and exceptions built into the current mechanisms used to measure global warming?
            What do scientist who support the theory of Global Warming believe is the key contributing factor?
            What is the source of the key contributing factor?
            How are these key contributing factors measured?
            Statistically speaking, is taking an average of a set of averages acceptable?
            What is standard deviation?
            Would standard deviation or averages be better suited for establishing whats normal and abnormal temperature wise?

Now, Those are all legitimate questions. Questions that the public should have researched answers on before establishing a firm opinion on this issue. Most haven't, most wont. Instead they have listened to hollywood and congress.....WOW!
            The information is out there. Its pretty boring, I'll give you that. I don't pretend that if you do the research you will arrive at my opinion. I just don't get the feel most have made any attempt at truly looking into the issue.

Ok I get what you are saying and I agree that the sensationalism the press is putting on it seems to be another media topic of the hour.

What scares me is the people that say all of it is bunk and that there is no need for further study of the climactic conditions based on the circus in Copenhagen.

1. profile image56

What are they realy saying? To me it sounds like, don't railroad me into a tax thats going to hurt me needlessly while crippling the economy. They smell a rat, and I think they are right.
                If global warming wakes up the electorate, it has done America a lot of good already.

You can thank Gore, et. al. for that.

You really can't follow a conversation can you?  The people that are the naysayers are who I was referring too that espouse all the bunk.

1. profile image0

You and the rest of the drones never say anything of consequence!

Stepping up to the plate without a bat again?  Maybe you can enlighten all of us with your great wisdom about the subject. Oh I forgot you just repeat rhetoric.

Yeah, about that...do you think that just maybe I was making a point about the doomsday hucksters being responsible for turning people even more skeptical and suspicious of the 'science' and setting back the interests of serious environmental protection?

That's the most lucid and well thought out thing I think I have heard you say so far.

What can be done along positive lines that could ensure responsible policy and action without the hype from the politicians?

19. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

India has already declared unilaterally to cut its carbon emissions by 20 to 25 percent. Hopefully, others will follow the good gesture.

Likely America will announce some thing like that in Copenhagen.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

20. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

China has denied today of imposing any treaty that is not unanimous.
      Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)