Ministries for Young Women

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Recently I have been asking about existing ministries that help women excons and haven't found anything I am able to contribute to. So my idea is to reach young women at risk at our local youth center.
    I have met with some other artists in the area and we would like to offer activities at the high school age youth center. Our hope is that we interest some of the girls in worth while activities and gain an opportunity to mentor.
    There are six of us with different talents and of limited means. We are contemplating ways to raise funds for supplies at the center and also to attract others interested in getting involved.

Have you any experience in a ministry like this? What suggestions could you offer as we begin? Any ideas that will help us reach at risk young women?

Also HubPages is for 18 years and older I believe. Does anyone know of a similar site for teens to use?

Please do not debate religion on this thread as there are threads for that. Thank you, Holly

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Holly,

I am working on an initiative that is along these lines, but you did say, "Excons". Correct? These are young teens who have been in trouble with the Law already. Yes or No?

I applaud your steps, because I'm taking an earlier approach, but will give you my thoughts.

If you want to create a structured environment, then create integrated steps for them to gain control over their actions and thoughts, give them the sound advice thru mentoring and leave religion out of it. If you want to setup a business, then do so, with a precise detail account of activities, learning sessions, outdoor trips to learning places, such as museums and art exhibits or plays and turn their view around. Make it easy for them to find help or seek advice, whenever necessary(24/7 would be great, but not necessary to begin with).

Help them get involved in their community, thru doing fundraisers events or door to door candy promotions. The more they develop their character on the way to self-esteem, then they can remove any limitations set in their way. If they are confident in themselves and they have faith in their own abilities to overcome any obstacles....you've achieved something great.

I wish you the best of luck.

h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cags,

Thanks for the encouragement smile
           Unfortunately I must do things on a much smaller scale...and see where it goes. I am limited in many ways by my health (cancer battle) so a 24/7 is beyond me. I appreciate your suggestion about religion, however I am who I am because of my beliefs. If I can help even one find a better life I will consider the efforts worth it:)

Thanks for the good luck, Holly

2. livewithrichard profile image71
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To legally raise funds you're going to have to form a nonprofit and be organized. 

You're going to have to create a business plan and then incorporate.  I have a series of hubs that can help you write your bylaws for that. Your bylaws will spell out the structure and nature of your nonprofit.

Once you incorporate as a 501(c)3 you can then apply for tax exempt status from the IRS and accept charitable donations and run tax free fundraisers.

Good luck.

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Wow! you are very sweet to be doing this h.a.
    Good luck to all of you who are going to help these young women. I have not worked with teens like this so I have nothing to offer...I hope you find all of the info you need. I just wanted to say you are sweet for doing this and good luck! smile

3. h.a.borcich profile image60

Hi Crazd,

Thanks for the support! I just really feel compelled to make a difference.Holly

1. UPStar profile image60
      UPStarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awesome! I love the idea of women joining resources purely to help others. I work at a home for troubled youth and have been involved in a variety of youth ministries through the years. I really love kids.
      Kids are hungry for adults who genuinely care about them, and will take time to listen and just hang out without being judgemental. They'll hurt you too, because alot of them are hurt and they lash out, but if you truly care they'll see that.
      I am a huge proponent of games. games, games games. I should write a hub on it, by golly! When you sit and play a game you build relationships and open doors for more important discussions.
      I have always held "Taco nights" at my house, where we have a taco bar, play positive music, games, and (being a christian) we usually open our Bibles and read and talk about it. The kids have always loved that. Many have grown up and are doing well now.
      Good Luck and God Speed!

Hi,

Working with troubled kids is rewarding though it is heartbreaking to see so many hurting. Getting past that wall they build is not fun. What you are doing is very important, I know. Thirty years ago I was in a group youth facility, labelled incorrigable and on a path of no good. At fifteen I was one of those angry and hurt kids about to make huge mistakes. But one set of houseparents took the time and effort to reach me - helped me become an emancipated minor and break the cycle I was born into, and my entire life changed. Keep doing what you do knowing it matters. I have often wished I could thank them, but I am sure they have passed as they were older back then. Thank you for reminding me and inspiring me too, Holly

4. alexandriaruthk profile image70
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

I dont know any site that may help them, but it is so helpful of you to do these things, I admire you for that!

5. profile image0

here is a few websites that maybe will help you out h.a.!

http://www.troubledteenprograms.org/
    http://www.helpfortroubledteens.net/
    http://www.eaglevalleyranch.com/ourstaff.htm

I hope that these can give you ideas

6. h.a.borcich profile image60

Thank you Crazed,

In the midst of dealing with so much, you still gave of yourself to help me smile Holly

7. profile image0

Blame my parents...they raised me to be helpful lol

8. h.a.borcich profile image60

Hi,
      I am bumping this thread up as I am hoping for some positive input.

Do you know of a website like HubPages meant for teenage writers?

Do you have experience/suggestions/ideas for reaching high school age girls through a youth center environment?

We have a group of 6 women with various talents hoping to become active in teaching/mentoring at the local youth center with at risk girls.

I do appreciate any helpful input:) Holly

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Took me a while to find this (not a teen) but I came across this a some time ago which might fit your bill:

http://www.at15.com/

9. h.a.borcich profile image60

Hi Mark,

Very cool link - Thank you!

Again, if anyone has ideas or suggestions, Holly

10. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Great initiative Holly.  There's an organization in Toronto called the Covenant House that takes in homeless teens of both genders.  If you contact them you might be able to share ideas.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they just need to be 16 to be a member of HubPages.  All the best with your efforts.  Mike

11. h.a.borcich profile image60

Thanks Mike,

Thanks for the help smile

I will check to see, but I think it is 18 for HubPages. Maybe someone who knows can clarify. I will look at the TOS. Thanks again, Holly

12. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I am one of three founders of From Darkness to Light ministries in east Tennessee. We started an education and support program for male and female ex-cons two years ago this week. However I left the organization almost a year ago once I noticed that my other two partners, one a retired lawyer, and the other a retired cop were more interested in bragging then helping. So I went to some friends in another state and started a similar group and we hope to have a new half way house opened this coming spring.

It is not hard Holly, and the first step is to approach either a local judge or Sheriff office and talk to them about existing programs or needs. You will be surprised at how much they are actually willing to help, from there you can incorporate or petition for 501c3 tax exempt status. I suggest you Google, the name Ed Cole, there are several groups using the curriculum he developed for men and women that has been adapted by jails, prisons, and groups all across the nation. All it takes to start is the will to help and the ability to listen.

13. h.a.borcich profile image60

oops - wrong buttons ...

Thanks Scottlife,

I think it is wonderful that you are able to have the ability to get deeply involved in something you believe in. I am confident you will arrive at just the place you should at the right time to get the halfway house and the programs going. Glad to know you are so committed to getting it real and right.

So far all I have going on here...is small scale:) 6 women with various talents and a desire to help these young people who are at risk.
      I have initiated the project and am making contacts with the youth center, the high school and social service organizations. We are hoping we can raise funds for materials, donate our time consistently and provide options for activities/relationships to mentor.
      My health is too precarious for me to spearhead the forming of an actual organization on my own, but I will check out how committed the others are. I wish my realities were different for the long haul, but I am still here and want to do what I can while I can.
      Thank you for the info - maybe this idea can become what you are speaking of. I'll keep praying. Holly

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One way to raise money is to have a concert. Get some singers and groups from local churches to help raise some funds to buy supplies with.

1. pylos26 profile image70
        pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Another popular method of raising money is to get a job.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)