AMAZON Capsules: Blue, Grey, or Nothing?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Wag The Dogposted 14 years ago

ryankett and I where talking, and he said that he prefers not to have a background for his Amazon capsules.  I was thinking that they would stand out a bit more with a blue background and that it would help as far as 'hits' go.

For your Amazon capsules, what works best for you?  The choices are, Blue?  Grey?  Or Nothing?

Also, do you know if one setting works better than the other?  Does blue work better than grey, or vise versa?  Or is it better to have no background at all?

What background do you use for your Amazon capsules, and why?

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I don't think the color of the Amazon capsules matters at all. What matters is the overall layout of the hub and the flow between marketing copy and product capsules.

1. profile image0
      Wag The Dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point, so you do not think that a background helps to catch the readers eye?  I thought that it would, but I also do not want to have them ignore it due to the obvious attempt to cath their eye.  Get what I mean?

3. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I'm far from a pro
    But I use a colored background to differentiate the ad copy from the article copy. It seems less spammy to me if the ads are distinctly separate.

I'm not trying to grab attention with the ad, I'm trying to keep the reader's attention with the copy. The ad traffic should take care of itself if your article is written to target people who have an interest in the subject.
    I think.

Like I said, I am a complete beginner here. I have been doing print design and layout for 20 years though. I'm trying to convert my "conventional" layout knowledge into web page layout and I've found many stark differences, so I may be off base with my ad placement ideas.

smile

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's just the opposite with me. I could care less if anyone reads a word on the hub. I just want them to click through and buy something.

1. profile image0

Can I get an AMEN?  Though the last hub I made, The Best Boots on The Ground, I put some work into writing and would not mind if people liked what I wrote.  Hint.  Hint.  lol

2. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmmm....
        I'm finding more and more that the exact opposite of print media is correct for the net.
        Even the basic layout - ads should go on the left on a magazine page, not on the right. Always away from the fold.

I can't really experiment because I don't have enough good stuff posted yet. I'm getting some ideas here though... thanks!

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you still work in Print Media?

1. wyanjen profile image71

yep, it's my day job.
            magazines, flyers, junk mail of every variety...
            I say "junk mail" with love lol

1. profile image0

What sort of magazines? Demographic and subject wise? I am offering to contribute to editors for free at the moment if their magazine fits in with certain ideals. I have been writing plenty of print stuff for the 21-40 demographic at the moment...

Demographic and subject, very very local.
                I worked on one for quite a few years that was called the Native Detroiter. Completely local. Another was called the Mulligan, and it only detailed golf courses in the state of Michigan.

I've never worked on a magazine with a circulation higher than 30,000 or so. So, small town stuff smile
                If I could help you out I surely would. I work through print brokers these days so the huge majority of the publications are put together off-site.
                I will keep my ears open for leads, though. Every now and then somebody will request something like this...

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends on which way you fold your computer screen, maybe.

lol

If I flip the monitor onto its top, I'll be right back in my natural element.

I'm glad I mentioned how I do my layouts. There is helpful feedback here for me.
            On my best days, I am still only pretending that I know what I am doing here lol

4. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I didn't even know we had a choice!

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I guess that its just personal preference, but I almost always use no background.... I like the way that I can achieve a certain look. For example http://hubpages.com/hub/Rolex-Daytona-Oyster-Perpetual - its just a personal taste for me.

6. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Ummm, okay that looks way cool.  How'd you do that?

1. profile image0

I just used images with perfect white backgrounds, and the Amazon image already had a perfect white background..... I think that it looks pretty sleek and professional. Of course, I am yet to sell a Rolex lol

7. profile image0

Do ya'll know that you can link up to two keywords in your text with your Amazon affiliate code on HP? Like you could have linked the word Rolex with your specific affiliate code. If that keyword is clicked, and they buy, you get 100% of the sales commission from that click.  Not the 60/40 I think HP gives.  Or however they do it.

1. profile image0

Well, did ya? Huh?  Did ya?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, give a specific example.

1. profile image0

Sure thing, if you go to my new page, The Best Combat Boots On The Ground.  Then scroll to the bottom of that page, you will find the word Amazon.  Should you click on that word "Amazon" it will take you to the 'combat boot' page in the amazon.com web site.  The "HTTP://" I used, to link that word to that specific amazon page, has my personal affiliate code in it.  Should they click on it and buy, I get 100% of the commission.  It bypasses HP altogether.

Wanna know how to do this too?  Well, Do ya? Huh?  Do ya? big_smile

8. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

there's much information available on the psychology of color.  however, with the choices offered by amazon, it makes little difference.

9. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I'm with Ryan on this one, although I didn't actually knw you could change the background.

I prefer to leave amazon products as part of my article, helpful to the reader, rather than differntiate them from my text.

Check out some of my hubs to see how I use Amazon Ads, after a bit of experimentation I have managed to get 10% - 20% sale conversions!

10. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I like to put a color background on my Amazon capsules because I feel it makes the products stand out more. But that's just my own thing ... I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it hasn't seemed to hurt!

11. profile image0

Ok already.  No need to beg.  The thing you need, to be able to do this, is the right HTTP:// with your affiliate code.  To see where and how to get this HTTP:// visit this page:  How To Link Products To Amazon  Not all the info on that page will work on HP, but how to get your HTTP:// with your affiliat code is.  That is all you need to link a keyword or keyword phrase to make 100% of the sales commission from the clicks generated off those words.

1. profile image0

This is not a good way to get into Hubpages good books, and you will win yourself no fans if this ever resulted in Hubpages increasing their Adsense cut to compensate for loss of Amazon income - they have already been affected by reduced cookie length.

1. Drwibble profile image59
        Drwibbleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, there is a phrase "Don't S*** in your own backyard"
        There is a mutual symbiotic relationship between hubbers and hubpages. Hubbers provide content, hubpages provide the infrastructure. Each get a fair share of the revenue generated. Both sides benefit from this arrangement, if you start abusing it, then we all end up losing.

2. profile image0

Had I seen this post/warning, prior to making a forum topic out of it, I do not think that I would have made a forum topic out of this info.
        Your a little bit late.  "Damn it Jim!"  Oh well.

Still slamming me with the squidoo thing I see.  Good night ya'll can be vicious.  Maybe I deserve it.  Oddly enough, I was just trying to help. 

Thanks for the attempted "Heads up!' though.  Better late than never. 

I'll just go away for a bit and lick my wounds....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)