Fountain of youth (Is it possible)

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years ago

So what are the opinions of all my fellow hubbers out there on the old "Fountain of Youth" concept.

Ya know, the one where we create a means to stay forever young, kinda like the elves in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings book.

What do you guys think?  Opinions?  Is such a regenerative science even feasible?

If it was feasible, would you want to stay alive for a long period of time, or possibly even until the very end of time, (The Big Rip)?

Being knowledge oriented as I am, I certainly will say that I would want to do that if possible, as it would enable me to continue to learn about that which is me and that which is not, (the latter being the more important of the two to learn about).

If science could do such a thing, then what would be required for it to work?  Any ideas?  Comments?

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I think it's unlikely, but if it ever is possible it raises an interesting question.

My brain is already full and I seem to forget early stuff as I learn newer stuff.

How would we be able to keep on learning new stuff?

1. rmr profile image68
      rmrposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have recently read some "enlightened poetry", that seems to be capable of sucking knowledge straight from your head. I suspect that would make room for new things. Failing that, it could also sap your will to live, thus rendering any need for a fountain of youth moot.

2. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Indeed an interesting question, and one worth asking.

If such a regenerative science were feasible perhaps it would be beneficial to the patient to receive a dose which would put him/her before neuroplasticity set in and right around the age where experience and neuroplasticity where both balanced.  At least it would seem to be the case in my opinion, (speculation).

After all, it is well known that children have the best neuroplasticity, but then who would want to be like a child forever?  Not I, that is for sure.  Sitting at 25 forever or 30 forever seems best to me, for as long as possible barring natural accident.

Perhaps humans would eventually reach their capacity for remembering things and would have to log experiences past a few hundred years?  Hmm..

But then wouldn't this whole scenario also raise another important question?

If humans could individually stay alive for thousands of years barring accident and war, then what would be the ethical implications of spreading across the known universe?

A bit of a stretch I know, in 60 years I will be dust again, but I do wonder about this particular question not that it is all that terribly important.

3. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

Well, my interpretation of the Fountain of Youth is a spiritual science big_smile One that believes in the creative energy of the universe (God if you will) that comes through our energy centers, and with our human desire can increase the vibration of our total being. For you see smile, the energy from the universe has to be "stepped down" before it comes into us or we would explode! So as we take it in, and increase our consciousness to accept a higher and higher vibratory rate of this energy in a wholistic manner, we will become, or stay youthful.

Now the wholistic point is paramount, otherwise, we become too much of a brain, with a decreasing body and heart of love, or too much of a body with decreasing brain and  heart of love or too much of ...you get the idea:)...not whole and balanced.

I for one would not like to be a brain with no heart and body, ( I've dated a few of those:)  or a body with no brain or heart (and some of those, too smile... or a... smile

so yes of course it is possible, by what I consider scientific means...and one day those means will be proven/accepted, just like oriental medicine and those concepts and the regeneration of cells and body.

This is alchemy in the true sense of the word...in my opinion big_smile

1. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is interesting SJ, thank you for sharing your opinion.

smile

I sometimes wonder if creative regeneration aka (healing considerations), as a conceptual priority is the essence of womanhood.

Men can get so caught up in adrenaline, which is good for blowing stuff up.

And yes, it is not good to be allbrain no heart or no brain all heart.

That is like the difference between the temperature on Mars and being melted by the heat of a smoldering volcano.

Being cold hearted or being a loving rub a dub idiot are both unbalanced, not necessarily equally unbalanced (in fact I do not think it is possible to equate they two, the just both flat out suck).

4. profile image50
    ask4jmposted 15 years ago

You started the same old question that creates havoc to innumerable minds. You can eulogize some art and say it will remain forever youth. You can play many nice games with the combination of letters. Say nice nice things. But coming back to Newton's law you can straightway close your eye say NO. That has a beginning has an end. Only the unborn can be undying. Nobody can alter that. Science may be able to extend your life, freeze you in cryonics, makes all parts of the body replaceable. But in fact even if your life has been lengthened to a billion yrs it still has an end. And when you look back those length surmounts to nothing.

According Indian Vedantic philosophy, if you don't wanna die you have to believe and realise that you were unborn. You say its my pen, and so pen is not you. You say its my hand, my head, and so on... Therefore these are not you. Then who r u? Thus they inquired one after another and then another... Thus goes on and claims to finally found out and then realized the ultimate undying self who the fire can't burn, wind cannot blow, water cannot wet, sword cannot cut... You can' t burn the space (ether). You can't cut it apart, can't bombard it .... Something like that but add to it a omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent nature.

That is what the old books claim but no idea how far they are right. But one thing assured this body will someday always undergo decay. Even the mummies who thought they will be revived back at the end of days when the Sun rises in the west are ending up at labs. And many have already decayed.

And there are other questions which are of similar nature that havocs our mind equally...

5. profile image0
    dmjordposted 15 years ago

Setting aside whether or not it could be done. I personally wouldn't want to drink from it. Because I think that over time i would become so much more aware of what's going on in the world through personal experience (because i have infinite amount of time to live), I would become depressed. There's beautiful things in this world but you can't deny the tragedies. I would do what I could to help those problems but I'd have to watch everyone i loved around me die. I would eventually want to free myself from my immortality.

6. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 15 years ago

This is actually a question a few friends and I have been discussing for some time that does have a certain fascination to it...personally, I think it is possible for human life to be extended far beyond what we consider a life span, if not this moment then in the near future.

The study I saw that intrigued me the most concentrated more on preservation of cells through the removal of free radicals, allowing the cells to live much longer. Theoretically, if this could be done the person would remain healthy and looking young but their bodies would still mature (for instance, a child would still develop into a normal adult, but that adult would take a couple hundred years longer to start looking old). Another theoretical scientific advancement that we like to discuss is the use of nanotechnology or the like to keep the body free of toxins and harmful substances (such as excess cholesterol) that would eliminate other things that could make the body fail.

In my opinion the body will die, but it is possible to slow the rate of death to a crawl and enable extremely long life...but the question remains as to how many people would actually want to do it, especiallly since a scientifically-based "fountain of youth" would probably only be available to select individuals at first who would undoubtedly see many friends, family and loved ones die before it was made available to everyone else. Then again there's the problem that if every person on earth lived 600 years we certainly couldn't keep having babies at the rate we are now or we'd be way too overcrowded very quickly.

Personally, I would not mind an extremely long life even if just out of curiosity of how much I can learn...as we all probably know the brain doesn't actually "fill up" as we use such a tiny percentage of it anyway, a lot of it depends on the neural connections made, alertness and the ability to retain information...all things that decline as the body deteriorates from age.

7. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Yes, I believe in a Fountain of Youth. But the Fountain is a scientists and mankind's knowledge and the Youth is preserved by genetics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)