Why are boys meaner than girls

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. CrystalSingleton profile image60
    CrystalSingletonposted 16 years ago

I have two girls and one boy. Having said that my son being the oldest,he is the shyest and clingiest of them all. He definitely loves boy stuff, cars especially. My daughters are tough. They hold their own.
       My problem is that the friends my son has (all boys) are so rough. I see they pick on my girls when they are around a lot. At first I thought it was just one boy. I am realizing it is most boys now. Almost all the boys that come around are meaner to my girls and I think, as my own personal opinion, that they feel tough about themselves because they are able to pick on someone they don't expect will fight back. My son is bigger as his father is 6'4, I being 5'10. My 1st grader is often mistaken as a third grader therefore I think most kids kind of leave him alone. They are just naturally intimidated by him I think.
       It is for this reason I think they tend to pick on my daughters perhaps to maybe show him they are tough too. My son is more on the affectionate side so I guess I was not used to this bullying behavior boys have. A lot of the boys are acting this way. I see other mom's with multiple boys and they will be fully fighting on the playground. Me, mother of three panicking, oh my gosh, someone's going to get hurt....(I am so dramatic)   but their mother's are like, "oh they do this all the time...boys will be boys." So competitive. I actually wouldn't mind if my son toughened up just a little, but I totally disagree with using females as sparring partners, those little whimps. (not the females but the boys who pick on them)
       I find it funny they will pick on my daughters instead of my son who is much taller than them. Pick on someone your own size lil buddy. Shoot, pick on my son so he can learn to beat up those jerks who dump my daughters later on. My daughters do play nicely on their own and they don't need some numbskull tearing down their castle and kicking them in the back because they think it is "funny". My daughters like to save their energy to fight with each other. They don't want to waste it on some silly boy. Can anyone relate to this? let me know. 
        Even though I am a mother of 3, I always consider myself a first time mom. No matter how many days the calendar turns over there is always a first time for something they do and my hands in the air "what to do about this?" I think it's funny when I ask mothers at the park gazing into their newborns eyes, "Are you a first time mom?" as though it matters. Each time any of my kids enter a new phase in life I consider myself a first time mom all over again. Some things do get simpler like putting them in time out or getting them breakfast at 6:30 in the morning. But the rest of that stuff is still a mystery to me. Good luck and Good job to all the parents out there who are dealing with NOT ONE, NOT TWO, But THREE or more..... GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY!  tongue

2. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 16 years ago

Funny, because my mom always said "oh- boys will be boys" to my sister growing up!  She's had to live with three brothers, but she's survived!

But to answer your question-
    Testosterone!

3. amy jane profile image69
    amy janeposted 16 years ago

Hi Crystal,  I am a mom of three also and I agree that each new phase is like starting over as a new mom. smile  I have three girls, and it has been our experience so far that girls are meaner! They just fight with their words instead.
    Kids are mean in general. Other people's kids, that is, not mine or yours!  I have shooed some rough little boys away from my girls a few times, but as they get older it doesn't happen as much.
    My girls fight with each other too- I am amazed at how they pounce. I never did that to my sister!

4. elisabeth reid profile image65
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

I have five kids...four of them boys, and I did licensed daycare for about ten years (ironically, the day-care kids have mostly been little girls) and it's been my experience that little girls are actually meaner than little boys.  It might not seem that way on the surface -- the little girls don't usually want to LOOK mean, it's more their actions and their ability and willingness to hold a grudge and 'get even.  someday.'  A little boy might pick on a little girl but my observation has generally been (not always, but often -- especially when they're little) that it's because they're trying to get the little girls' attention.  The pigtail pulling syndrome.

One difference that I've noticed through the years is that when boys get pissed off, they're pissed off.  But then, the next day (or even in an hour or so) it's like it never happened.  Little girls, on the other hand, tend to hold things.  They might not show it now but their anger might come out in two weeks...a month.  Three years.  I've seen little girls in the fifth grade try and get back for something another little girl did in the third grade.

It's all part of growing up, though.  They always seem to get through it.  We did.  When we were kids, at least.  Now that I'm grown, I sometimes wonder if I'm going to live through my kids.

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Boys may be more boisterous than girls, but girls are definitely meaner.

1. profile image0
      RFoxposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Agree with Mark. Girls are much more vindictive, which is why I spent most of my life hanging out with guys. wink

And agree with elisabeth reid. Most guys might get physical once in while and blow of steam but then it's over. Most girls can justify holding a grudge for eons.

1. shibashake profile image83
        shibashakeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Boys may be rough and tumble but they tend to forgive and forget. Girls play mind games that end up being a lot more destructive.

2. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I AGREE !!!

1. Dottie1 profile image61
        Dottie1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ditto AGREE!!!

6. shailini profile image60
    shailiniposted 16 years ago

Boys meaner? Boy are the meanest! LOL

7. hot dorkage profile image75
    hot dorkageposted 15 years ago

Boys will punch you and maybe risk getting in trouble, then forget about it they are all friends again the next day.  Girls will lay awake at night dreaming of ways to get back.  Except for me, when I was a girl I was the punching kind.  and I didn't fight fair either when kids ganged up on me five to one or more I figured all bets were off, the name of the game was survival.    I bit and spit and gouged and pinched and put rocks in my windbreaker and slung 'em.  I never thought of myself as mean, I only did those things when other kids started getting physical with me first.

8. weblog profile image56
    weblogposted 15 years ago

This thread Means a lot big_smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And you really mean that don't you?

1. weblog profile image56
        weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No Comments cool

9. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

This is what moms can understand fully.A brother who cannt
    stop his friends picking on her sisters is really meaner.

10. patnamohan profile image58
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

Boy....no doubt...................Girls.........always doubt...LOL...

Girls should always pray to boy!!!!!!!

1. weblog profile image56
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What is your point??

11. Neko-chan profile image65
    Neko-chanposted 15 years ago

Well, I was hoping that I could offer something useful to this thread, but it appears that it's pretty well covered. I too am of the mind that girls really are the meaner ones (in fact, they are capable of a type of cruelty that males can't even imagine).

As for your son being on the affectionate side, I wouldn't dream of even wishing that the other boys would pick on him. That is simply not right. If you are worried about him being able to defend himself (if you think he has the 'gentle giant syndrome') I would suggest finding him a martial arts class (like karate) to hone skills, coordination and self-assurance. I would look for a Shotokan Karate school, with an instructor who encourages peaceful means of confronting others (none of this sports Karate, beat-the-other-guy-to-a-pulp kind of martial arts) and an idea in building leadership and confidence.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)