Superstitions

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (39 posts)
  1. blogdigz profile image56
    blogdigzposted 15 years ago

Do religious people agree with the fact that every religion has it's own Superstitions? What do you feel? smile

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well I have a superstition that putting my purse on the floor will bring monetary misforutne. 

Don't know if it is true or not because I don't put my purse on the floor.  tongue

1. Inspirepub profile image72
        Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You mean even more monetary misfortune than you have right now ...?

Maybe it is keeping the purse off the floor that causes problems ...?

Jenny (who has no purse at all)

1. profile image0

Hmmm, you make a good point.  Maybe I should I should do the opposite.  thanks!!!!

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now when you are broke ------ You can blame Jenny smile

1. profile image0

Naa, I will still to blaming the government! smile

I thought it was the Ay-rabs lol

1. profile image0

Oh no, I guess you didn't get the memo, I am not a Christian.  yikes

Changed your mind again?  wink

2. blogdigz profile image56
        blogdigzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OK big_smile

2. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The sages having observed life very carefully came out with some knowledge which today many call non sense or superstition.I believe in the saying of good luck happens when a crow shits on you.Good things have happened.
      Then for example do not cut your nails after dark. In olden days as light was a problem,this prevented accidents in poor light.
      Then there are days when this is suppoded to happen,some days good some bad,all this is true,the sages were well ahead of hte normal man and looked at life as a whole and came to certain deductions.The full moon is considered auspicious or holy and its correct,again good things have happened on the full moons.Life is just too mysterious-endlessly smile

3. pylos26 profile image71
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't know...but I do know that the words superstition and ignorance are synonomus.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

I am not religious but rather spiritual. But I never chew Dentyne gum, and never wear a rubber band around either wrist.

1. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What are those things?

3. knolyourself profile image59

For me religion means belief in higher forces independent of earth. Spirituality as higher forces evident in and on the earth.
    Dentyne is a rubbery stuff you chew for god knows what reason.
    A rubber band is an elastic circular closed strip used to tie things together.

But, what is that you were telling about wearing band around wrist? Is it a superstition?

4. knolyourself profile image59

Ah - what is superstition? I broke my left wrist in the sixth grade while wearing a rubber band around my left wrist. Maybe superstition, but why fool around with it. Superstition is the belief in something that brings good or bad luck. 'My lucky charm'. Never walk under a ladder - brings bad luck. There are a million of em. Personally I think they're great.

Superstitions are limited to Personal Belief? Don't religions have Superstitions? smile

2. pylos26 profile image71

You also said that you tie circles together with other stuff.

5. knolyourself profile image59

Some people think all of religion is just so much superstition,
    probably because of the concern of religion for the future,
    namely heaven, where the practice of certain actions is suppose
    to influence the future, like baptism. All religions are riddled with
    superstition, though they may not admit it, for instance the hand gesture of the 'sign of the cross' used by athletes.

That's it big_smile

6. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 15 years ago

How to differentiate faith and superstition? wink

7. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Mohit, do you think all supersitions do have such so called scientific or some other justifications? wink

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes the sages were beyond, astounding in their observations and intuition.Just look at astrology- it may be foolish for some but having studied astronomy,one is dumbfounded as they have charted the stars to such accuracy for thousands of years.-with what? smile

blogdigzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can do better.

2. pylos26 profile image71

Mo...we've all studied astronomy as we have all gazed at the stars.

8. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

Superstitions have to do with one's power of consciousness...and the misuse thereof. It all goes back to  hearing the message from God (Ultimate Source and Infinite Intelligence) clearly.

In the human consciousness state, because of our free will and amount of faith and devotion to seeking ultimate Truth (or not), the message from God gets skewed, by our ignorant, willful, innocent, material, carnal, etc, use of the power of our mind and heart.

We all, each of us, have much more power than we know, and superstitions are like self fulfilling prophecy. Like using an herb to help or heal an illness, for some it might work, for others, it doesn't. It's the thought and desire behind the action that matters most, or rather, gives the action and material source (i.e., the herb) the power.

In my book, superstitions have more human misuse of God's power behind the act by not being centered on, or rather, using it in the name of God or the Christ. Even then, just saying you are doing something in the name of God or the Christ doesn't make it so...its the desire and devotion to seek the highest/holiest use of  power that matters.

9. fishtiger58 profile image70
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

Knock on wood.

1. profile image57
      fun2hubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What?

10. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 14 years ago

Superstitions are based on misunderstanding of events that have occurred years, and even centuries ago because our ancestors did not have the knowledge about the world we currently have now. Many cultures hold on to these beliefs because of fears. I personally do not believe in any superstitions because many of them do not make any sense or have been disproved.

11. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

as far as superstitions go..
    Please leave all BLACK CATS and WHITE DOGS out of your superstions, no matter what religion you are..

They are animals and wonderfull pets who are not evil, satanic, or anything of the sort..

There is no reason to blame a defensless animal just because of a rumor that started 100's of year or more ago....

blogdigzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well Said.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)