Translate This Page

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (34 posts)
  1. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

Since we have a lot of non-english and ESL members and readers, I think it will be a good idea to have a 'translate this page' widget or something similar. For example I get considerable traffic from google.com.ph, google.com.pk, google.de, google.se, google.fr, google.fi, google.com.br, google.com.mx    , google.nl, google.no, google.it etc.

2. guidebaba profile image58
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Excellent Suggestion SunSeven.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

As long as the translation actually makes sense wink

4. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I honestly think it is a waste of time. I have a bunch of foreign language versions of my site and I despair of getting it translated automatically and making any sense.

1. Princessa profile image81
      Princessaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

automatic translation are a waste of time, I have never used one that is worth recommending.  Usually they just make translating longer and more difficult.

5. guidebaba profile image58

Sir Mark: I went to ihaozhai but did not understand. Had there been a "Translate This: Button, it would have been useful.

6. Mark Knowles profile image57

lol

Ihaozhai is a Chinese language version of my main blog. And a translate this button would have done you no good at all. The auto systems just turn it into gobbledegook smile

7. Pete Michner profile image69
    Pete Michnerposted 15 years ago

Maybe one day there could be other hubpages just like how the English Wikipedia is at http://en.wikipedia.org and the Spanish one is at http://es.wikipedia.org and so on, the English hubpages could be http://en.hubpages.com, the Chinese one http://cn.hubpages.com, etc...
    P.S. how do you make those examples I just gave un-hyperlinked?

8. Mark Knowles profile image57

Hubpages have talked about a foreign language version. The problem, of course, is you need a system admin that is fluent in that language smile

9. Pete Michner profile image69
    Pete Michnerposted 15 years ago

您做一個好观点 smile
    (I just said he made a good point)

1. guidebaba profile image58
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just translated and got - 您做一個好观点 = You do a good view (What does this mean? !@#$%^&)mad

10. guidebaba profile image58

Sir Mark: "gobbledegook" Thank you for this info. I will work on this "Translation" Topic and see how useful it actually is ! Never tried it very seriously.

roll

11. Mark Knowles profile image57

It is easy enough to try out. Just throw any URL into this and hey presto! Gobbledegook smile

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=en

1. rmr profile image69
      rmrposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maybe if you put in gobbledegook, you'll get something sensible back.

12. SunSeven profile image63

Ah! Babel smile big_smile

1. premsingh profile image60
      premsinghposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh! No SunSeven, Are you getting jealous of princessa's new avatar?

13. guidebaba profile image58

Sir Mark: translated my website from English to Hindi through your suggested site. It makes the job even worse. I can do it much better manually. But I am still wondering on the Technology/Programming they use. I am myself a Programmer and an expert in Visual Basic and have developed several programs. But this translation programming is out of my head.sad

14. Adjust profile image57
    Adjustposted 15 years ago

Excellent suggestion SunSeven, it is like a welcome to our visitors, but in my opinion this is not the time for the HubPages to do it. 

<snipped unrelated links>

15. Squimpleton profile image87
    Squimpletonposted 15 years ago

Like everyone else said. Auto-translators are usually not good enough. The best option would be to make alternate hubpages domain and have the authors manually translate their hubs themselves kind of like in wikipedia.

16. SunSeven profile image63

Auto-translators are good enough for me. That is how I manage to get traffic from non-english domains smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now I am confused. You want a "translate this" widget because you get traffic from foreign domains. But you get this traffic because of auto translators? smile

And which language would "Translate this" be in? lol

1. SunSeven profile image63
        SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now, Didn't I smile

Preferably in braille or sign language or both big_smile

I can give you a list of non-English bookmarking sites if you wish smile

lol

This one sent me 30,000 visits last month:

http://www.ize.hu/

And this one is pretty good also:

http://new.e-go.gr/default.asp?catid=6474&tag=11216

But yes please, send me your list, and I will send you mine. smile

1. vietnamese profile image66
            vietnameseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hahahaa... sounded like: "show me yours and I'll show you mine"

2. SunSeven profile image63
            SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol

Nice list. But - I will not be giving my list away for free. smile

You are too generous.

I barely interact on English speaking social networking sites lol

17. compu-smart profile image89
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Si Si, senorita, moi bien idea:)

Choww!!
    smile

18. SunSeven profile image63

smile

19. hot dorkage profile image74
    hot dorkageposted 15 years ago

I have a few technical articles here in hubpages.  Technical articles deal in concepts that are mostly nonverbal if you get right down to it.  You just need enough verbiage to trigger the neurons in your readers' brains.  I am fluent in Spanish but I would hate to have to translate my articles, it would be like writing them over again.  When I look at the auto translate to Spanish it seems comprehensible to me, even though the grammer is horribly tortured.  I have a technical Mexican friend who speaks little to no English and I asked him to evaluate the autotranslation.  Here is what he said:  Of course the translators mangle the grammar but there are enough words in there that he can connect the dots.  He also said he refers to the original english article for the code samples because sometimes the translator messes those up to the point where they're useless.   I'm with Sunseven, the auto translates are givin me nonbounce   hits from Spain Argentina and Mexico.   I can't speak to languages I don't know, but I suspect that the quality of autotranslate varies between different languages.

20. Mark Knowles profile image57

Still not catching your drift I'm afraid. (Try auto translation that) big_smile

You are already getting auto-translated visitors, so you think we need a widget on the English hubpage - written in English to tell people to hit a button to translate it into their language? Or perhaps a big pile of flags with 翻譯此 or whichever language next to them.

I have  a Chinese version of one of my sites - and the auto translation is horrible. Truly awful. Incomprehensible in fact. I have to pay some one to translate it and for all I know it says, "Kill all the western devils." smile

爱豪宅豪华房产信息

1. vietnamese profile image66
      vietnameseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Even a human translator still not be able to translate that needless to say auto translators!

21. hot dorkage profile image74
    hot dorkageposted 15 years ago

yeah, didn't you know the Arabic autotranslators all say Death to all western infidels, no matter what you put into them.  wink  Spanish French, Porto, German and Italian autotranslates, I can kinda tell if they are in the ballpark.  I won't mess with Japanese, Chinese and Arabic.

22. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

Adding a auto-translate widget may help non-English visitors to translate the hubpage in their own language. This may be understood from this example - When you visit a non-English bookmark site using Google there is provision to translate that page in English so that you can register on that site and bookmark your site. If a visitor comes to your page, auto translate widget may help to understand content of that page if page is translated to that particular language. Its true that none of the translator will perfectly translate but non-english visitor will be able to understand the contents of the page.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)