Does Social Networking sites really work to promote your website

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. pooja0908 profile image59
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

Are you promoting your site through social networking sites? If yes then what you feel it works?

1. bat115 profile image79
      bat115posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am on both facebook (have 102 friends) and myspace (150 or so) and do promote my hubs... however, according to my hub stats top traffic sources, only 1 or 2 of my friends on either of those check my hubpages out.

2. qaswer profile image41
      qaswerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always take social bookmarking and social networking as 2 different way of promoting sites. Its good to have links from social bookmarking but it would hurt you rankings if SE's will find lots of links from that media. On the other hand, social networking sites are good enough to grab traffic. People who say that they are not getting traffic from there, they would be doing it wrong.

3. mailxpress profile image51
      mailxpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi pooja,
      I know Facebook and Twitter are considered social networking sites.  But I feel Hubpages is also social and there are many other free websites which I use to earn revenue social too.
      I'm not much for Facebook and on occasion use Twitter.  I'm sure they work but so do many other free websites.
      mailxperss

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i did twitter, facebook and myspace for a while and found better results with shetoldme, so i don't use them for backlinking anymore, although i use myspace and facebook for social networking.

5. mailxpress profile image51
      mailxpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi,
      I personally don't use my Facebook account for advertising.  I use the Facebook for touching base with family.  It depends if you use it to keep in touch or use it to promote.  I've heard many successful stories using Facebook but to each their own.
      mailxpress

6. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It does not work well on this site.  Why?  Because they do not allow it.

7. googleplusones profile image61
      googleplusonesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Social networking sometimes is very effective in promoting sites. But promoting sites would depend on the rules of a site as well.

2. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I dont care its just great fun....

3. jacobkuttyta profile image43
    jacobkuttytaposted 14 years ago

To some extent it can premot your website

4. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 14 years ago

i depends on the social media site and the type of content you are promoting. Most social media sites do not send traffic but some do

pooja0908posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do i know name of sites?

2. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My question is do we browse sites from those social networks ? If not, then how can we blame social media for traffic ? Unless we get into it there is no point in saying that they don't send traffic.

You just can't post the link and expect traffic to follow,in 2010 this will not work at all.

5. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

if they give you good backlinks they might help

except backlinks is there is nothing to promote your website?

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Backlinking is dead

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Onlywire, Socialmark and Sharethis services helps for mass submission. And i have found Mixx, Twitter and Delicious working for me. Reddit is too crowded IMO.

and what about articles and blogs?

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can promote blog using entrecard and onlywire, you'll get lot of traffic that way.

7. Topzenith profile image60
    Topzenithposted 14 years ago

Don't you think mass search engine submission could work

yes but except that.
      social networking sites are used broadly and due to so many users we can promote anything easily among them

8. supermom_in_ny profile image72
    supermom_in_nyposted 14 years ago

Submitting your work to social networking sites is not always about traffic.  It's about the LINKS.  Yes, I submit to social networking sites.  The results?  Almost all of my hubs can be found on the first page of Google for their keywords.

Good luck!

9. profile image0
    WayneAnsellposted 14 years ago

Social networking sites are great for backlinks. I have found the traffic depends on how involved you are on that site. I have 400 friends on facebook, and received about 40 hits from facebook on each new article I publish. I am alos very active on facebook.

I also receive a good deal of traffic from stumbleupon, even though I am not active on that site.

I mainly use these sites for backlinks and it does help google recognize my hubs.

I backlink all hubs to my blog, my facebook page, a group on facebook called Read Wayne's Articles, stumbleupon, digg, delicious and reddit.

it is interesting
      Nice work

come on guies just give your views

10. chinese bonsai profile image58
    chinese bonsaiposted 14 years ago

I would just submit to a few bookmarking websites, point them to your hubpage. Social bookmarking is more about getting indexed in Google rather than driving traffic to your website.

11. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Most social bookmarking and social networking sites use no follow, which makes them about the traffic, not the links.

For the record, no follwo links do not index your page faster in google,

Google no follow = Won't use link for serps, wont follow or Index page.

Yahoo no follow = Wont use link for serps, will follow the link and index it.

However Yahoo contributes little compared to Google.  You need to track down those do follow links!

12. MyWebs profile image77
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

These two hubs have a great list of places with good Google Pr that do DO follow.

PR6 - PR8 sites:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Your-T … follow-PR6

PR 3- 5 sites:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Your-T … PR4-or-PR5

For most hubs I think its best to stick to the PR3 - PR 5 sites and only use the PR 6 - PR 8 sites for your best content.

This hub list places that will share advertising revenue with you for posting links:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Get-Website-Tra … -earn-from

Thanks for this interesting discussion

2. abnertegan profile image61
      abnerteganposted 14 years agoin reply to this

great post you have, SMO is very time spending and resource consuming if you not playing nicely

ok

13. madeline Oscar profile image61
    madeline Oscarposted 14 years ago

Each Social Networking Site serves for specific need. We should understand that & implement.

For Example, Facebook can be used to create a Brand Recognition for any Business & Customer Service and we can't expect more traffic from that.

Similarly each website has their own which we should analyse.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)