Phobias

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (56 posts)
  1. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 14 years ago

Phobias. Do you know why you are scared of...

1. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Moths

Hate the buggers.

seanorjohnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So do I now I think about them.

2. tipperary profile image60
    tipperaryposted 14 years ago

Im scared of flying, never been anywhere only England by ferry.
    Im missing out on so much over this.

Tipperary I know your campaign for justice. Do not put extra pressure on yourself. The internet can do the travelling for you.

But you can overcome this fear.

Having said that I know how difficult it is to drive in the dark from fishguard or holyhead.
      thanks for sharing your fear.

3. thekidandblue profile image61
    thekidandblueposted 14 years ago

I'm s*** scared of birds, pigeons mainly which is great living in london

you probably watched Hitchcock's film "the birds" as a child.I dislike them but don't fear them. I grew up in london and think they should be looked on as vermin. Daren't say more.

4. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

I'm afraid of orange ladybugs and little people clowns. I don't know why I'm afraid of orange ladybugs. I know why I'm afraid of little people clowns... bad haunted house experience, but I'm not afraid of regular clowns or regular little people.

can you tell us about that experience with little people clowns.

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
        Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I went to a haunted house with some friends. I was around 12 years old and easily frightened. In one room, there were lights flashing and what appeared to be statues of little people clowns. It smelled like cotton candy. I walked past one of the "statues," which was holding a knife. I guess some of the props were real because the little person clown lunged at me and hit me in the leg with his knife. I wasn't seriously injured but I was very afraid and I started running. The little person clown immediately felt very bad and wanted to help me so he started chasing me through the rooms. His mistake was that he didn't put the knife down as he was trying to catch up with me. So, as I ran through the horrors (The other actors didn't know I was injured), I kept hearing the little person clown behind me, "Come back here, little girl. Come back here, little girl!" By the time I finally got out of this "fun" house, I ran into a woman dressed as a vampire and she also didn't know I was bleeding so she tried to scare the crap out of me. It worked and I ran even faster, finally couldn't take running on the leg any longer and hid behind a pine tree in the parking lot. This is where the little person clown caught up with me. I was too tired to run anymore so I put my head between my legs and started crying. He finally realized he still had the knife in his hand and he dropped it and took off his mask. But ever since then, I won't go near haunted house attractions unless I know for a fact that there will be no little people clowns. I had nightmares for months afterwards.

Wow Alessia !Who can blame you for feeling this way?

2. double_frick profile image61
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

some lady bugs bite. no joke.
      i swear. i know its unbelievable, but one crawled on me and pinched me, and i looked down and there was a tiny bead of blood like a pin pricked me!
      nobody likes to be bitten, lady bug phobia explained. smile

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

snake and high places

I have to admit to the same. thanks for sharing.

6. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

tall women  and vodka  = I don't know why!

seriously? Can you explain.

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

After some thought - I'm sure that it's because I have known several really mean tall women - and I got extremely drunk on vodka the first time I every got drunk!  mystery solved.

Thanks

2. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Be afraid of me then !
      I don't know in feet, but I'm 1.80 meters

don't torment the man. Next thing you will be telling him you are calling round with a litre of vodka. Are you a sadist?

1. tantrum profile image61

Mega is a woman and a friend ! lol
          Or so I think ! big_smile

apologies. Send the vodka to me.

7. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

I have a fear of leaving my house, and crowds.  With crowds I get to where I cannot breathe.  When leaving the house I have to go on planned excursions.  I am always afraid that I am going to be arrested for no reason, which has happened to me several times in this county.  I probably leave the house about once every two weeks or maybe less than that if i am having a rough time.

This is a tough way to exist. Hope somene can help here on hubpages to control this. Good luck.

8. dave272727 profile image60
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

Never used to bother me when I was younger, but over the last several years I have developed a fear of heights. 
    I used to be somewhat scared of leaving my house.  Now I come and go and everything is fine.

That's so strange I have found the same thing happening to me. As ateenager I always found things like the big dipper very boring. Yet a few years ago I took my children for a ride and found myself praying quietly for that ordeal to end.

9. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

and also Doctor's office waiting rooms

The two places I dread visiting are hospitals and schools.I must admit I would also be seriosly depressed if I had to work in any medical practice.

10. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 14 years ago

The soup at any buffet!

Seriously. You have got me worried now.

1. lightning john profile image59
        lightning johnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In fact any food that I dont make myself, or by a friend.

I can understand that but it must make life awkward. It must seem rational to all of us so you have probably triggured a new phobia amogst us. What have I done!

11. dave272727 profile image60
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

Ignorance

12. double_frick profile image61
    double_frickposted 14 years ago

i'm deathly afraid of spiders and vomiting.
    i assume i must have died by spider bite one lifetime? i don't know what would make me so scared of spiders.
    and vomiting too. *shrugs* some things the world may never know...

13. Madison22 profile image61
    Madison22posted 14 years ago

Recently I seem to be developing a fear of tractor trailers, which I have been trying to keep under control. I am grateful for them because they help transport most of our goods. However, I can't seem to help think of how much damage they cause in a accident. Hopefully it will be a short lived phobia.

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Heights and tornadoes.

seems reasonable to me. both dangerous. Yet when we were younger....

15. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I recently became aware of 2 phobias that I have developped.  One is of mice. I absolutely hate mice and I don't know where that came from. The other thing is my fear of injuring myself.  Its to the point that I won't ski anymore for fear of falling.  Weird, because I used to love to ski and I never had a bad fall.  Maybe its because I don't know how I would manage with 3 kids if ever I was incapacitated.  hard to say...

Even the mention of mice sends shivers down my spine.I wrote a hub about this.Yes that is very strange about the skiing. So hard to fathom out.

16. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I'm scared of something coming out of the toilet and biting my balls, sort of like in that 80's film classic Ghoulies...truly terrifying!!

can't relate to this but it seems very familiar.Even though not seen film.

17. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I'm afraid of people when they're really out of their mind, and become dangerous.

Quite right.Sounds like my neighbours parties.you are right to be scared.

1. tantrum profile image61

lol

18. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I had a gripping fear of heights that controlled me for years. Fortunatly, I was able to face this fear in 2004 by climbing a fire escape in L.A. for a new reality t.v. pilot (never aired). Since then, it's been a lot better. I'm still scared of open places with no solid wall between me & the ground, but other than that, I'm doing very well. I can do escalators and open stairwells, too. So fears can be conquered but in baby steps, ya know? Desensitization....

Well done. Did you do this all on your own? Or did you seek help? This is big news which I never considered when I read you.

19. RealEstateHelper profile image61
    RealEstateHelperposted 14 years ago

I am scared of heights

20. Happyontheinside profile image72
    Happyontheinsideposted 14 years ago

A  couple of obvious things - needles, falling (i maintain I am not afraid of hieghts, only of hitting the ground from a great hieght) - but I do have a bit of an odd one. When I was a kid I was staying at a friend's and she had all these porcelain dolls lined up on her wardrobe. I was sure they were moving and made her turn them around...then I was sure they were going to be facing me in the morning...Don't think they were but it terrified me and to this day I have to avert my eyes whenever I see one. They just look like frozen children that could move at any second...scares me silly.

21. profile image54
    probafixposted 14 years ago

i scare of deep sea

i feel scary whenever i think of it.

don`t scare of anything else as bad as it.

22. jonathanacosta17 profile image60
    jonathanacosta17posted 14 years ago

i don't think i have any phobias. but my mother-in-law, jeez! she's deathly afraid of cockroaches. whenever she'd see one, she would run around flailing and screaming "it's in my hair, eeeee!" funniest thing i ever saw!

ooops. if wifey sees this, i'm dead. gotta run.

23. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I'm scared of religious people!

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hear ya.  They are usually the most uncomfortable people to be around.  always feeling judged and looked down on.  I remember turning around halfway through a walk with my two daughters to return home to get my wedding rings after i saw (or imagined)two ladies tsk-tsking when they saw me walking with children and no rings.  can you believe that?  that is def what phobias are made of.

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear, I hate it when these bible humping do gooders do that, especially when they knock on your door and say Could I leave this leaflet about Jesus having to be killed on a cross to save us all, I mean who does that, I sure wouldn't go on a cross just to save someone, what a load of pant wetting rhubarb!

And then they look at what you're wearing and your appearance and you can see their minds working overtime probably thinking yes we can turn them into jesus' disciples praise the lord!!!!

24. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Flying. I just don't understand why 5 or 6 miles of nothinginess between you and the ground would make anyone feel free, excited or elated.

Flying is only for birds, dreams and Superman.

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am totally with you on that one Frogdropping!  Although I will do it, a good stiff drink is mandatory!

25. AnythingArtzy profile image67
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

I'm afraid of heights, water and horribly claustaphobic. Instant panic where that's concerned. So much so I will be cremated. I know I won't know one way or the other but.............

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)