Sharp decline in page eCPM: Is it due to wide format ads on top?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (51 posts)
  1. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

I have noticed a sharp decline in page eCPM  in previous week. I am afraid if it is the result of wide format ads displayed on top of the page (above the hub title). I'll appreciate comments from other hubbers.

Prem

2. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Prem, I think you are right. There are some non-google ads showing in hubs and tag pages. They mostly show on top (leaderboard) and on right hand side (skyscrapper) of the pages. Some of them are Flash ads, I guess they get some of our adsense clicks!!! mad

3. profile image0
    Ronald Daniarposted 15 years ago

It happened to me also, normal visitors, very less clicks!

4. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

I think its a site wide effect. Now I see more ads on the blank area on the right too. Now, we have more ads and less revenue! sad

1. weblog profile image58
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

More ads, but not all are google ads. Yes, less revenue sad

5. profile image0
    Ronald Daniarposted 15 years ago

Just a thought. Is it related to the Ads setting when we edit our hub? I unchecked the box "this hub may be considered commercial" and the ads banner on the top is gone. I also set the ads into medium.

I think setting ad level to 'medium' will also minimise google ads. Again, less revenue? I doubt

6. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Yes I agree.  My clicks and earnings are down but the traffic is fine.  I hope the Hub Team will explain the new ads.  They certainly don't enhance our Hubs and if we are loosing financially as a result then this seems unfair.

7. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Have any of you checked to see if these ads are showing on your impressions? I cannot imagine that hub pages would test a new ad provider on your impressions which you do not get paid for.

If they are testing some other provider, I would bet they are only using their own impressions.

premsinghposted 15 years agoin reply to this

These ads are powerd by yieldbuild. If I am not wrong, yieldbuild is a hubpage subsidiary. Mark, you may throw more light on it.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yield build is owned by hubpages and serves all the ads such as google adsense and attempts to optimize them for the best results.

That doesn't change the fact that I very much doubt it is serving ads that you will not be paid for on your impressions. Any more than they tested the kontera ads on your impressions before adding them as an advertiser.

8. Rik Ravado profile image85

Yes I think you are right Mark.  I've checked the page source and where I did get the new ads they were on HubPages impressions.  They didn't appear on the few impressions of mine I checked.  Not conclusive but your logic seems pretty sound.  Perhaps click rate is low for other reasons...

9. GK16 profile image60
    GK16posted 15 years ago

I saw some awful ads on one of my hubs today. Disgusting mad

1. hassam profile image73
      hassamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Most of these ads are links selling some products. Is hubpages trying their fortune in selling  some of their own products??They may be on hubpages' impression but I am seeing a decline in clicks although this month the traffic has increased for me.

10. guidebaba profile image58
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

My Adsense income has dropped drastically since last 5-6 days.

11. premsingh profile image60

Yes, these ads are very attractive and all the clicks are likely to be directed to these ads. I am sure all the viewers will click on these ads and not on google ads. I request HP staff to clarify. I have earned less in 10 days period of this month what I earned in a day in last month. Page views are significantly more in this month compared to previous month during the same period.

12. guidebaba profile image58

Same is the case with me.

mad

13. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 15 years ago

Your earnings may be down, but those yieldbuild ads are not showing in your impressions. You can check that easily enough.

14. hassam profile image73
    hassamposted 15 years ago

They obviously are not appearing in our impressions, there may be some other reason for this decline in eCPM.

15. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

As has been mentioned the additional ad along the top and in the sidebar only display in the HubPages share of impressions.  We're using them to experiment with various new ad networks.  If we find something that works well, we will figure out a way to pass on the increased earnings to authors (most of the networks we are testing are not setup to pay small publishers directly).

As for the reduced CPM, the YieldBuild team has shifted to a new algorithm in the author's share of impressions that necessitated restarting the learning process.  It will take some time to train, but the end result should be higher earnings over the long term.

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Paul. I would add that there has been talk everywhere of lower adsense clicks and income, and in part it is due to the economy.  People just aren't buying non-essentials right now.

I do hope they get this straightened out quickly, though, because my adsense income has been cut by 2/3rds this month.

2. hassam profile image73

Thanks a lot Paul for the insight.

Nice clarification. Thanks a lot Paul smile

3. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I certainly hope the lower CPM is just temporary. Last month I averaged $10-$13 a day, and so far, I've been lucky for $7-$9 a day. Do you know how long it will take for the earnings to go back up?

1. hassam profile image73

Even I am beginning to wonder now how much time will it take for the eCPM to return to normal. For me some strange things have happened this month like; a drop down in hubpages' earnings and out of no where, my new blog is giving me clicks. Good for my blog but bad for my hubs.

4. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Whatever. The authors are(perhaps some of us, at least) suffering from the new modifications(experiments). I am at a low(one third of my usual earnings) for more than one third of this month. sad Thumbs down for the experiments and new algorithms

16. guidebaba profile image58

Sir: Thank you for all the explanations. HP is always working to increase our revenue and make us Rich. @tongue#

17. Rik Ravado profile image85

Paul - Thanks for keeping us informed.  Good you are looking at additional future sources of revenue too.smile

18. patnamohan profile image58
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

Good!! smile

19. guidebaba profile image58

Today I noticed it going back to normal to some extent.

Is Beijing Olympics also a reason ? Maybe many people are interested in Olympics News rather than other things. (Just Guess)

roll

20. profile image0
    Foreverposted 15 years ago

I just checked  some of my pages, I noticed that some pages have a google ads on top and some does not have, and when I checked the adsense code those that has google ads on top is using the hubpages adsense code and those that doesn't have the ads on top page is using my adsense code.

I hope you can put back the ads on top, because since the ads placement changed my number of click has decrease to half and my adsense earnings went down to more than half.

21. premsingh profile image60

Whenever  Scientists do research they take care of their subjects. Here casualties are too much   that this types of experiments are not at all recommended and should be discontinued. I agree with Sunseven.

22. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Paul,

I have been wondering about this whole Yieldbuild "learning curve". Why does it reset to "pure stupidity"?

Can't you at least have a base of generic HubPages site-wide "knowledge" so that CTRs don't drop so far when Yieldbuild starts over?

It takes a long time for an individual Hubber to amass enough data to get rid of some of the ad styles which we all know have lower CTR - the unreadable black-text-on-dark-grey ones, for example.

Surely there could be a minimal level of retaining the information that has been gained so far, even if it is generic across the site, and then tweaking from there, rather than the "scorched Earth" approach of going back to random ad styles?

It would make you guys more money, too.

Jenny

23. profile image0

I checked again today and those pages where their adsense code is attach the ad placement is normal.  It seems they are just doing the experiment on the hubbers share of impression, Can I ask how many adsense code does hubpage is using, because I have seen 2 different adsense code.

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Might be the code of the person who referred you

24. profile image0

Thanks Sunseven, but nobody has referred me, I signed in straight to hubpages website.

25. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 15 years ago

I do think that the Olympics may have something to do with it. I have several blogs and each of them was down in hits this past week end by a significant amount. For example, one blog averages 4500 hits a day and it was getting 3200.

So, while it may be the shifting and such it could also be other reasons.
    smile

26. guidebaba profile image58

Thank you Marye for the explanation.

27. rharper profile image80
    rharperposted 15 years ago

Interesting... I've noticed a decline on my website, also.

I hope hubpages isn't dragged down the quality algorithm
    of my adsense account.

Tell me it isn't so...

28. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Paul or someone on the HP staff, please answer the questions posed by Jenny, as I too would like to know why it seems when YieldBuild makes some change CTR's drop and we all (hubbers at least) seem to suffer...

My CTR when compared to last month have dropped even lower since my last post.

On a similar note, did you guys change anything with the ebay and amazon codes, as I'm showing much lower earnings on those two programs as well. Although, I never made 100's, I'm only seeing single digits with ebay and barely double digits with amazon, and by this time normally they're a good bit higher.

29. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Did you notice we are in a depression guys? People don't buy as much as they did at better times. Advertisers tighten their budgets. And it will get only worse - all of us will have to work harder to get less money. Well, the good thing is - the money will get more value smile

30. profile image0

I dunno, MIsha...all of this happened pretty fast...and from what I can see here in the Dallas area people are still spreading around cash like manure on a melon patch. big_smile

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think we are just in the beginning. I would be glad to be wrong, but I expect to see things similar to what happened back in 1929-33, or even worse...

31. Mark Knowles profile image58

I think Misha may have hit the nail on the head. For the first time ever, I have just seen a google public service ad on the top of the "Hot hubs" page sad

32. Mark Knowles profile image58

I agree with you Misha - this is just the beginning I'm afraid. sad

33. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

I think this has been explained a few times but I'll try and explain it better now.

When we switch to a new YieldBuild algorithm, in some (but not every case) the learning process has to restart from scratch (for purely for technical reasons).  While it is in the early stages of learning after a restart the CTR and CPM will be lower as it tests a lot of different layouts.  Typically it will get very close to previous levels after a few days, but it may continue grind out the last 5-10% over the course of a week or two.  That's just the way it works.

It was restarted on August 6th in the Hubbers' share of impressions, and as best we can tell earnings are back to normal (or higher) now than they were before.   While we've restarted it for testing in our share many times, this is the first restart in your share in several months.

The YieldBuild team is continually working to improve the initial configuration, the learning speed, and the top level optimization.  One reason we decided to restart in your share at this time is because we think the new algorithm will result in a higher ceiling in terms of earnings.  There are some things we could probably do to smooth the earnings through the transition (making the transition take longer), but the net result will be the same -- a short term loss for what should be a long term gain.

As for eBay and Amazon we haven't changed a thing with them.

( Learn more about YieldBuild or check out what Jason is up to these days on YieldBuild Blog )

This has been explained very well by pauldeeds and evident also that CTR and CPM declined with restart of process on August 6 and now there is some improvement. Decline is mainly due to experimentation of yieldbuild and nothing to do with depression or Olympics. We've to believe pauldeeds that end result will be the same.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate the confidence!  But, there are, of course, factors outside of our control that can impact traffic and the advertising market.  I'm not saying the Olympics or the the economy has had an effect, but I'm not saying they haven't or won't either.  It's impossible to tell with our relatively narrow view into things ...

There are chances that Olympics may have some effects on the traffic but reference to economy or depression makes less sense. Decline in earnings began in August 08 only and economic depression has taken place since last quarter of 2007. In few cases traffic may have gone down but it is consistent in majority of cases.

34. profile image0

It doesn't seem to be just the earnings though..My page views are down close to half of what is average for me.  Very weird.

Not being a sports enthusiast I STILL blame the Olympics!  It is my story and I am sticking to it.

35. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

It is a fact , that hub pages are using wide ads that are eye catching. But,the most interesting and Happy news at present is that, hub pages have started using Adsense Ads with "Blue links" and "White" Back ground. 

From past 2 days,most of the hubs have ads of this type which is more Impressive and attracts the attention of visitors.

I strongly believe that,if hub pages uses this ad format colour PERMANENTLY(without using other ad colours as back ground),the CPM and number of clicks from visitors will surely increase.

In last week,most hubs had coloured ads,which were not even visible to people and had ugly colours  which caused decline in earnings. But.now i see better Adsense ads with all blue links and white back ground,which blends and matches with the hub pages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)