Teaching English abroad

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Shinkicker profile image53
    Shinkickerposted 14 years ago

I would like to work abroad teaching English. But the number of options of courses to take to get a TEFL qualification seems a bit confusing.
    Is it better applying for the most expensive or is that not necessary?

1. profile image53
      Suksanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In theory they are all of the same quality, but that's not necessary the case.

Read online about who people recommend etc and got from there.

Also don't get fooled into paying money to teach. Many places say volunteer here for a small fee or something.

It is a proper paying job, so unless you want to pay others so you can work, don't go for the volunteer angle.

2. yenajeon profile image71
      yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is not necessary AT ALL. THere is a teaching program in Korean which only asks for a bachelors degree and NO ACCENT WHATSOEVER.

They pay for housing, plane tickets, salery. Go to
      www (dot) asknow (dot) ca/faq (dot)aspx
      for everything you want to know!

1. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The 'hagwan' biz is huge in S.Korea

2. profile image58
        Twitterwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just be sure to research the institution that hires you.  You might find yourself working long hours with little pay - and bound to a contract requiring you  stay for a specified period of time.  A friend of mine ended up escaping in the middle of the night to come home.

I don't believe all arrangements are this inflexible - just be sure to read the fine print.  :-)

3. gramarye profile image60
      gramaryeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are so many jobs around the world teaching English, just google something like TESOL jobs, and start researching their qualifications.
      In short, it depends on the country you plan to go to, how badly they want to learn English and their socio-economic status. Basically, the lower the socio-economic status of the country, the less quals you need. However, if you aspire to the best paid jobs in the high demand countries, you will need a TESOL and experience. I made a small fortune in Singapore in the '90's with only a degree.

4. kev8 profile image62
      kev8posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey,
      Ive been teaching in Spain for over two years.I have a tefl certificate but I have never been asked for a copy of it. Some schools have asked me have I done course but the majority haven't.
      I think it all depends on the school and probably a bit on the country as well(Spain is definitely relaxed). Some schools in Spain even prefer you not to have it as they train you in their own "special" method. My advice would be to do the certificate but dont spend a lot of money doing it. I know alot of people who paid over 1000euros for a course and found out they were working with people who hadnt done any course and were getting paid the same. I have an article on hubpages about my teaching experience in Spain if your interested. Hope this helps!

2. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

If you have a college degree, any old TESL cert will do. Most of those courses are poop anyway and you will learn more in your first week actually teaching than they are likely to give you.

3. heller profile image59
    hellerposted 14 years ago

If you already have a degree from a UK University connected with education it will certainly propel you along the ranks of getting employment very quickly.

If you have a degree in another subject you will need a Cambridge Certificate to get the recognition and income in the best paying jobs such in the middle east.

If you are already in China or are thinking of going there you will get work but not as well paid - but have a great experience.

The comment above mine is total rubbish by the way.

Was that "rubbish" comment directed at me?

4. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

"SK", go talk to the foreign language department at the closest university or call for a phone interview.  They usually have the best information as they travel to the areas you are interested in and can evaluate your personal experience. 

I don't profess to have expertise in the area of languages but I do know that college professors can be extremely helpful - and especially foreign language/culture professors - they love to talk about their chosen countries.

5. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Hi there, I teach English as a second language and didn't need any qualification.  Certainly, the company that hires you will train you (usually about 2 weeks) in the way that they teach. 

You can earn 20 to 25 dollars an hour here to teach and its really a wonderful job.  I teach conversation mostly, but have done grammar 1 and 2.  My experience teaching ESL also got me in the door of a highschool and I teach highschool students as well (part-part time), but extremely worth it.

So where are you and where do you want to teach by the way?  maybe i can give you some info if youre looking my direction...

6. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

geez...ya think i said the word 'teach' enough in that little blurb?  smile

1. profile image53
      Suksanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can Teach English as a Second Language - but I believe its wrong to call yourself a teacher, just because you have a TEFL/ESL.

Best to refer to yourself as an English Tutor, unless you have spent 3+ years as a proper teacher.

Suksan

What's "a proper teacher"? If you get paid to teach, it seems to me you are a teacher.

7. TheWatchman profile image80
    TheWatchmanposted 14 years ago

Trust me, if you have the time and money, go get a 120 hour TEFL certificate from a reputable language school.  Ive been teaching ESL for awhile now, and have been personally involved in the hiring process at two different language schools. 

having a good TEFL, or better yet a CELTA will most definitely help you get a better job almost anywhere.

By "Good", I mean one that you take on location at a school itself, I'm not knocking the online ones but they are less respected and lack the hands on practicum that most of the better ESL schools offer.

You will also learn invaluable tips and methods from experienced instructors, which will save you loads of grief when you step in front of a class for the first time (which can be quite daunting!)

Some countries, like Thailand, wont even issue a work permit unless you have a vaild teaching certificate.

8. 4hourmike profile image59
    4hourmikeposted 14 years ago

I've been teaching English in Thailand for the past year. It's been a fantastic experience and is a great way to learn local customs and become part of a foreign community. (definitely NOT featured in Lonley Planet)

I'd recommend the CELTA course. It really opened my eyes to what teaching is all about. It's a 120 hour course that also will give you some hands-on teaching experience. The course is offered in various locations around the world. I took mine right here in Thailand  as soon as I arrived. With the CELTA certificate and my degree, I had no problem finding a job. In fact, I had several offers to choose from.

9. profile image57
    jimmyianposted 14 years ago

Its a nice conversation going.It will enrich me.

10. bojanglesk8 profile image61
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

I have similar aspirations as you OP. I would like to teach English in an asian country.

11. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

I teach English in China and can thoroughly recommend it. A certificate is good but not essential, a degree is good, but not again essential. An open and enquiring mind are priceless assets along with the willingness to learn a new culture before starting to make judgements.

A contact here is useful as although the package offered will normally refund air fares, house and give you enough money to live really well, it doesn't help with the jumping off or the landing.

Anyone is welcome to contact me, I am in Wuhan teaching at Hubei University of Engineering, Hubei Gong Ye Da Xue, and having been here four + years I have enough contacts and know most of the schools and universities enough to give you enough info - or a contact who can.

In fact I think I will make a hub about it next and put contact stuff in there.

12. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

ok - I have started the hub - but it will take a while to get it in order - I have opened it (part done) so that anyone with questions can contact me

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)