Still searching for answers to your individual life?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (74 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

Not a religious topic and not a political topic, just a general discussion.

I pose this question and have phrased it in the manner I have, for a specific reason.

What that reason is? Well, to be quite honest, there are a lot of questions about life, in general, that have absolutely NO baring on one's life, yet many questions are asked as though there is some inherent value to their own individual existence.

This is mind-boggling to say the least and would like to clarify, if possible.

No personal attacks. No religious garbage. No politics either.

Cagsil

1. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes..and I will always be searching endlessly for answers in my own personal life..

don't we all?

2. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

in a word: ibid

enjoy the evening my hub friend.

3. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

are you asking if we have value to our existence?

1. profile image0

sorry, not a game for me.  Thanks nonetheless.

Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Didn't say it was a game. hmm

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years ago

Life is what you make it you can either run from it or embrace it , it is the choice of an individual in which direction they would go. For me my life is quite fulfilling but I have a long way to go before it is complete. smile

3. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you AEvans, but not exactly what I was looking for. But, much appreciated anyways. smile

4. profile image0

Cagsil, I believe your original post is not clear and that is why you are not getting the responses you were looking for, or opinions.  Maybe you could clarify it for us. Thank you.

The thread can die. No biggy. It's not apparently important to begin with. So, I'll see what happens.

1. AEvans profile image71
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am going to really read this and reply after I think about the question it is very interesting so the thread will not die. smile

You can let it go. The only thing you have to do is stop posting. lol

5. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 14 years ago

This is something of a puzzle.
      Do you mean, for example, asking myself why I am here? Why I do what I do? Say what I say? Am as I am?

And, others. smile

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
          Jayne Lancerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah! So I'm on the right track?

So far, you're doing well. Yes.

Do you know where you came from? smile Just curious?

Well, although it seems I might have at least half understood your question, I'm still not sure how to answer ...

Do I know where I come from? Before I came to exist? Does anyone know?

If that's it, I'd say there's not much point in thinking about it, because there'll never be a known correct answer anyway.

How's that?

Do you know?

Was this a question I asked. I don't think so. Please try not to read anything into what I say or ask. The questions are pretty much straight forward.

Another question I didn't ask. And, isn't relevant.

OK, so I did only half understand, after all.

6. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Reflection is all well and good, but when it overtakes actually experiencing life the scales tip towards empty self-indulgence. The first point is to live. Pondering takes a far distant backseat.

So, you're still searching. Good to know. smile

1. Sab Oh profile image55
          Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not 'searching.' That's the point. You find more interesting stuff that way.

Do you have a purpose for you living? If so, can you please explain?

Living is its own purpose.

If that's what you think. Okay. smile

Thanks, but I wasn't looking for your approval.

And, you would have to be insane to think I was giving you my approval. I simply said, "If that is what you think, okay". There is no sign of an approval.

Please try not to read anything into what I say.

That is great. Next time save your "okay" so your fingers don't get tired.

7. Cagsil profile image71

The question- Still searching for answers to your individual life?

It's a Yes or No question.

If you answer Yes, then I would like to know what you were searching for. smile

If you answer No, then okay. smile

Then the answer has to be No. smile

8. Shealy Healy profile image60
      Shealy Healyposted 14 years ago

I believe or at least suspect that most of our lives are spent trying to understand a reason for being here. This searching might lead to pain. Or, this searching might lead to moments of realization.

For me, the reasons for my human existance are basically the close relationships I love and the process of watching them unfold both in success and failure. It does not seem to matter what direction my loved ones are going -it could be good or bad - I feel the need to know their lives. At those times I seem to stop questioning why I am here as I am focused on being filled with love or fear or even anger. I become too busy to wonder. I guess the truth for me is-having a parent, a spouce, children and a few friends allows me to become lost on occasion in my untamed emotions.

So, Am I to understand you have the answers you want for your life. Yes? or No?

Just curious. smile

1. Shealy Healy profile image60
          Shealy Healyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not really. I have relatioships and life work-but I tend to always have some lingering question.

Would you care to elaborate? smile

9. Shealy Healy profile image60

You know on thinking about this subject a bit more-I tend to think that I am most alive and alert  (as if an inner motor is turne on)to real life when I can access that soul mate connection that I believe we can have with those we are connected to.

10. Cagsil profile image71

Okay, I understand. smile

11. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years ago

No searching here.

Life is contagious. There is no grand universal scheme. smile

The only purpose in life is what any given person decides his or her own purpose to be.
      smile

Thank you Jen. How are you today? smile

1. wyanjen profile image70
          wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm well
          I'm trying to decide what my purpose will be tomorrow. I believe I will get a large pizza at lunch, and eat all day at work. LOL

Not trying to sound cynical. My purpose in life it to make myself happy. smile

Hmmm.....? So, are you self-interest? or Selfish? smile

I am absolutely, unabashedly, selfish. That is my purpose.
              As in, hell with it!

My old purpose failed, leaving me with nothing further.
              I will now devote my life to making myself happy. tongue

In that case, I don't believe you. And, that's a first for me to say, when it comes to someone I talk to often.

I know you are there if Lyrics needs a shoulder or an ear.

I know you wouldn't turn me down, if I ask for help or your ear.

So, you are not selfish.  You are actually self-interest, which is leading you to self-growth. Thus, helping you to be happy. smile

1. Mighty J-Kep profile image59
                  Mighty J-Kepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, you  catch me after I take my sleeper, and I get all weird.
                  My purpose is to make happy. Lyrics has my compassion, yes. She is a sweet soul who has endured so much. So, you called me out on that one I guess. But a kind and caring act is not a purpose. It's an example of human compassion, and love for our community.
                  Not the same thing as purpose.
                  <3
                  I guess my purpose then is to try to survive, but I'm not committed to that so much. smile

Deleted

I'm so sorry

12. Shealy Healy profile image60

Okay, one last thought. Imagine you are standing on the side of a street. A car is speeding up this street. Then, you notice a child (maybe your child) is stepping off the curb. At that moment you know exactly what you need to do.

On that level of caring for another human being you don't question what life is all about. You are too filled with the human condition of caring - to wonder.

Okay, I can do this. smile I think I can, so I guess I can.

Okay, thinking......imagining........smile

No, you should know what life is about before you're put into that situation.

It only makes sense, so you can enrich your own life and it's spirituality, and help others to do the same.

13. profile image0

yes and no. simple.

Thank you Lyrics.

2. wyanjen profile image70

Hope you are hanging in there kiddo

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug005.gif

As many have said, please feel free to contact me. I have some experience in dealing with this situation.

be well my friend

1. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much.  It does help

14. wyanjen profile image70

My purpose is to make happy. Lyrics has my compassion, yes. She is a sweet soul who has endured so much. So, you called me out on that one I guess. But a kind and caring act is not a purpose. It's an example of human compassion, and love for our community.
      Not the same thing as purpose.
      <3
      I guess my purpose then is to try to survive, but I'm not committed to that so much.

15. Cagsil profile image71

hmm

16. wyanjen profile image70

I was on my astronomer browser, i didnt realize. sad

17. wyanjen profile image70

I have to go to bed now before everything goes to hell.

I'm sorry. Not feeling good. Meds get me.... mixed up

Good night Jen. smile

this sleeping problem needs to improve....

see you tomorrow ray, sleep good buddy

18. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 14 years ago

Still searching for answers to your individual life?

Yes.  I have no idea where i'm going most of time. It's just like i find something and i'm doing something for something that i have no control over. hmm

What questions do you have? Curious. smile

How can you not know where you are going? Are you not planning your future movement? Or You not making your life your own, instead of letting others dictate what you can or cannot do?

I not sure about this, but could you clarify or elaborate a little more? smile

1. skyfire profile image78
          skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So many questions. I have made many choices in life and i'm not sure if those are right or wrong (present choices not from past). From experience i learned that not all was in my control.

But i would like to know other than my present profile,what is my aim in life. Career aim looks short term goal most of time and it's not that satisfactory as i planned earlier.

Well to some extent i can plan but it's not that i can take decision that completely change things in life. It's just that many parts of my life are dependent on others(family/social-structure) in my life.

Thank you skyfire. I appreciate your posts. As you know already it can be difficult to figure out which direction is up and down, at times. Even left to right, can be a challenge. However, to make your life move forward in the direction you want to, I would suggest you figure out for yourself, what exactly you want? And, then plan a move forward to learn how to get it. This sometimes can be a challenge in and of itself, for I had that same problem for many years, early in my life.

Then I finally accepted the fact that am only human, I am not perfect. I learned that there are limitations in my life, for which, I saw as huge obstacles, insurmountable. But, when I changed my view, I was able to see choices I hadn't seen before hand.

Hope that helped.

1. skyfire profile image78
              skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks casgil, that does help. smile

19. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years ago

Yes I am!  I am always looking for answers!  Not that I want advice, though.  This has been the theme of my life so far:  shit happens!  I often ask why, and then, if I look around, there is the answer!  Acceptance is the big thing to learn!  and although it seems foolish, being happy with what you have is tricky, but maybe that is the main answer -- be happy with what you have (while you go after more!)

Interesting take. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated. smile

20. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 14 years ago

Cagsil, not being sarcastic here.  Three words to live by.  Get. Over. Yourself.  Not you personally.  In my lifetime people have gone from living to analyzing life to the point its not worth living.  I have one motto that's served me through thick and thin.  "Take it as it comes"  Fight through the tough spots, enjoy the good spots and for God's sake don't develop such angst over what life 'means' you forget to live.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My personal favorite

"Keep it simple, stupid!"

Agreed. There are just too many things that are outside our control. smile

2. tobey100 profile image59
          tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let's all bow our heads and say 'AMEN'
          Best answer yet Tex!

3. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I Love You

2. Cagsil profile image71

I agree with most of what you said, except for "God's" sake. lol But, there are ways to avoid some of the traps that come toward you, that you might not see as a trap. Such, as things that have absolutely no value on your life and really don't need your attention, but you give attention to. This can make you waste of lot of time on this that are not beneficial to your own self-growth. smile

21. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Yes. I ask questions about a lot of things. For example, why I keep repeating certain behaviours and situations, when these have negative consequences. I finally discovered that one reason was my perhaps excessive preoccupation with financial and emotional security. So I took a couple of decisions that compromised my security. The first decision has already worked out really well in giving me a freedom I did not have before, although it still leaves me financially insecure. The second decision placed me in hell for the last two years and strongly threatened my emotional and even physical security, but I stuck with it, even though it terrified me at times and despite friends arguing against it. Only very recently, the tide has finally started showing signs of reversing and I am starting to have hope again. Further self-questioning is suspended for calmer times smile

22. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

The simplest questions are the most profound
      Where were you born?
      Where is your home?
      Where are you going?
      What are you doing?
      Think about these once in awhile, and watch your answers change

From the book, Illusions the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
      smile

1. tobey100 profile image59
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry.  Thought about it, answer's the same.  We need to get over ourselves.

23. profile image0

yes. now more than ever. ironic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)