Your avitar?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (82 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Some of you have some great avatars, where do you find them?  Obviously they are cartoon or minimized photographs, but still very cool - I need something new & not me smile

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I started out with a cartoon animal I thought best represented my personality.  It was a goofy lookin' moose.  currently I'm using a cropped photo rather than show my whole face.

I was gonna show you my moose but I can't add the image for some reason.  Never tried before....................

1. Lily Rose profile image87
        Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that really you?  That doesn't look like the face of a 55 year old man with 5 kids!  I like it, though!

Mine's me.

Yep, it's me.  That pic is from about 9 or 10 years ago.  Still look the same but the hair's definitely grayer.  No wrinkles yet but I'm sure they're on the way

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, tobey, I just CAN'T resist....
        Your moose???
        That just sounds too much like a euphemism.

For the record though, your avatar is very cool. Well done.

Lots of very good avatars here! Mine? Not so good. Taken in a kitchen at a gathering on New Year's Eve. Need to work on it....

Daniel, Daniel.  It's you, so it's all good.  I had to use an old pic cause I'm always the one taking the pictures.  Never get in 'em.  I had to retire the moose, he was getting more comments than I was.

2. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Jane,

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/fanart/

This is where I got a lot of mine from. smile

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool, off to check it out!

Tobey, I'd love to see your moose lol  you might have to resize him/her smile

I'd love to post him in a response but I can't figure out how to include a picture on a forum response?????

Look at formatting tips on the lower left side when replying, if you figure out how to add the picture in a response - good for you!  I've tried it and it never works lol

Cags...I need another site, while those are cool pictures, I'm far to old for them & they don't speak to me :lol

1. Cagsil profile image72
            Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jane, I am 41 myself. lol lol lol

I have seven years on you lol

I'm going to go play in photoshop now with my own pictures smile  I photograph nature, so I guess I should use my own images!

1. profile image0
                Norah Caseyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like that idea! My avatar is a vector graphic my boyfriend created based on a picture of me. It is a slightly different spin on a photograph, but it is still representative of the original.

1. wyanjen profile image70
                  wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's very cool Norah

There is a site for freelance photographers that has very reasonably priced stock photos (I use at work) and a big section of free stock photos (I use here)

http://www.dreamstime.com
                  (It's kinda like the "HubPages" of the photography world...)
                  My mug avatar is from dreamstime.
                  The free stock pics usually need a little touch-up in Photoshop, but overall they are good quality.

2. NewYorker profile image59
          NewYorkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try finding the IMG code.

2. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a great link Cags! Thanks for the link smile.

On the topic - one of my avatars (the witch one), I downloaded from the Internet. The rest came from our camera, especially the ones of my niece smile.

I don't upload my own pic for personal reasons so if you don't want to trust me because there's something fishy about me, that's up to you lol.

You're welcome Emie. smile

3. DevinG profile image60
    DevinGposted 14 years ago

Since I know you all love my panda wink, I will tell you where I got it. I searched in Google for a Panda plush. I have it as my use pic because I think pandas are awesome.

4. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

If you aren't a photographer yourself, ask your friends!  I bet someone you know has a great photo (or collection) that you fall in love with.  If it's still in print form, take it to a local and have it transferred to a disk.  Easy and personal...  Good luck!

DUH, just read the rest of the thread, sorry I must have missed it.  YES!  Use your own - a great inspiration whenever you're on line!

5. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

Personally, I don't understand why people use Avatars. No one could ever really get to know you.
    I guess it's true what Oscar Wilde wrote:
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth"

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sorry deborah, i see no logic in that assumption. how does anyone know if that is really you? we get to know each other through our words, our communication, not by the image in the avatar.

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really?? To me you will always be a cartoon. SO YOU BELIEVE THEIR PHOTOS COULD BE FAKE, BUT NOT THEIR WORDS. How deep.
        See I was saying real pictures not fake ones, or did you miss that? Seeing someones face can reveal a lot about them.
        But you're right if that's what you want to be.

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's why now I only show my body. My face has revealed enough already ! lol

1. profile image0

I like the pictures showing your face. I was finally able to see the person I was arguing with smile..

2. Friendlyword profile image60
            Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I CANT TAKE IT!!! (fainted)

1. tantrum profile image60
              tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
              hi friendly ! big_smile

2. wychic profile image85
      wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to disagree with that...people generally choose avatars that are just as representative of them (if not more) than their real faces. For me, I met and got to know my husband long before either one of us knew what the other looked like, and were already talking about permanent arrangements before we saw each other's pictures. Luckily we were both thrilled with what we saw, but we both agree that it's just icing on the cake, we fell in love with each other's minds, not the bodies that always change.

1. profile image0

OK but we're not talking about a love connection.

1. wychic profile image85

Love and friendship both start in the same place, one just goes a little further tongue. My point is, I don't believe someone has to actually see someone's face to know whether or not they can trust them, faces tell so little of a person.

1. drej2522 profile image68
            drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

valid point...in fact, it doesn't matter one way or another, especially a picture...pffft

damnit, okay, this is the last post on this thread for sure...hrmmm smile

1. wychic profile image85

Are you SURE about that? ...okay okay, that just seems to be the one way to get people to stick around big_smile

6. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

I just use pictures of me :3

7. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

You Can Shop @ my place Jane..... What would you like? hmm

I'll email you a couple of goodies if you wish? smile

funny, I just started giggling after I looked at your avatar in another post, PD 

it's just... funny.

of course people can get to know use by using an avatar... how silly to say.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your two choices are legendary. smile
        I know what happens when I put my pup up as avatar.
        My Samurai... makes them all think I'm Grumpy lol

they're both so opposite and yet the real you comes through.

I guess everyone just needs to watch the last samurai or go read some of your haiku.

8. profile image0
    Maximus591posted 14 years ago

An ego isn't who you are but what you would like to be.  Avatars give expression to the ego.

... as Freud would say if he was still alive, which he's not. 

Also, Avatar's can be used as masks to hide behind.

Never trust someone with an avatar. There's something fishy about them.

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

really?
      http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char136.gif

lol lol lol

2. profile image0

Avatars are used for only a few reasons. 1. They have no way to upload a photo 2. They don't want to show who they are, maybe they feel fat, ugly or feel people won't like who they really are. 3. They love to play around.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that advice would depend on where and how you raised!
        Where I come from people tend to generalise about those (like yourself) that Tilt to the Left. big_smile

It is also said to reflect one's inability to be honest.... but we don't insult fish by making reference to them with Left Tilters! lol

2. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did someone say "Fish"? Where? Here fishy, fishy!

lol lol lol

2. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

here I am!!

1. frogdropping profile image77
          frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I already had my avatar Jane. Can't remember where it came from now. I have two, the one I use and a similar one which my son used. Mine fits my rather silly hub name smile

Or froggy.

3. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Huh.  I use my own pic by choice, but there are lots of folks out there with avatars I trust to the max.  Not to mention, what did Freud know?  He had as many hangups and self-deluding mental veils as the next dude.  Sure, it's true enough that avatars can be used as masks to hide behind...but so can faces.  big_smile

4. Black Lilly profile image60
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A few months ago you were using some pretty young girls' picture as your avatar...or was it you there or your..ehm..ego extension?
      I'm confused.

9. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

mine is not great, it is a part of a photo of me and my family..I was not dressed nice and my hair was not done as usual...one of my best friends died that morning in an accident, I could not cancel on the family so I had to do my best, grin and bear it...

but I actually do not care what my avatar is...I would be fine with a simple and generic smiley face!

10. Jane@CM profile image61

My, my such a tantalizing read from just a mere little question! HA!

After great consideration, I've decided I don't like how I look and am going to keep playing with photoshop - as Nora mentioned, its a fun twist to your own self smile

Pearl, I like you dog, its cute.

Back to your regular scheduled programming, I'm off to write something fishy. Smoked Salmon? Walleye? How 'bout a trout with one eye?? lol

11. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

If we're going to play at amateur psychologist, an avatar can say more about a person than their picture, if you bother to read their work and get to know them.

I just like kitties big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Now, about that fish...

Them kitties like little fishies. lol lol lol they just suck those bad boy up and spit out the bones. lol lol you get 'em RedElf. smile tongue

2. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very, very true!

Hey Ivorwen, what's up? smile

1. Ivorwen profile image65

I'm sitting under my sun lamp, thinking about heading to bed.  How are you?  smile

I'm contemplating the same thing of heading to bed. I'm doing well. I guess I'm more bored than anything else. smile Thank you for asking. smile

1. Ivorwen profile image65

Good night!  See you tomorrow.  Hope you overcome that boredom.  smile

12. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

I have used a few pictures that are not my photograph-
    all of which were sketches or paintings that i created, so they were just as much a part of who I am as my face...

1. profile image0

And I agree they are as much a part of you.
      What I am saying is you can read someone's face.
      Faces, even in photos, are a part of Body Language.

13. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

I use either pictures of me or pictures I have taken...I switch between 3 or 4 during a couple month time frame

14. marcel285 profile image65
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

Why don't you take a pic of a close up of you're eye, like mine? Just an idea..eye's are the windows to the soul..i wonder how many people believe that? I do. Every eye is different, but it's not exactly an original idea is it? An oldie but a goldie, i think though.

15. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

nominations are closing for avitar smile

16. Jane@CM profile image61

Maybe we should have a hubbers fish pond lol

1. profile image0

lol could be a new category in the forums?

17. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Personally, I use my own pictures in avatars only because some of the sites I write on require it for people to be featured on the site. On the Long Hair Community I have a pic of the back of my head, and on Koko's I have a picture of one of my goldfish. Trust me, if you don't have a picture of some kind of fish on Koko's people look at you really weird...they might even start to suspect you aren't really a fish person.

18. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

I think one's 'avatar is completely one's personal choice...and I wish we wouldn't 'judge'..or 'sum up' the other person on it's basis. I use my real pic (taken recently, laptop cam, no effects etc.) and  I often find people doing the same to me. Personally, I really don't care what someone's avatar is: it's their writing that interests me - all else is secondary in front of it! smile

1. profile image0

im so sick of the avitar fights
      its 100 percent stupid to think you can trust a picture of any sort. I agree with MOW, for me its the writing that I enjoy, but even then....trust?

1. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile stay with the forum fights...and soon we'll put you in the right MOOD! Ha ha....!

1. profile image0

im stuck as a mermaid for some time...
          being the lying coward I am....
          a mouse chewed off the end of my phone cord, I cant acess hp with my computer till tomorrow...cant change my pic...

2. profile image0

I'm not fighting and I'm not stupid, it's an opinion like yours. ...But hey...big_smile

2. drej2522 profile image68

I'm in love with your avatar pic, MOW...so, how's that for personal??

very personal. but I guess I can make an exception now and then! wink

3. profile image0

Wow, who said anything about rights? And judging?
      So we both have our own opinions..imagine that.
      You have to understand that when someone thinks differently from you, it's not judging.

chill deobrah...that was in answer to some of the other comments above...not you. smile

1. profile image0

Chill? I'm not heated up...Stating a fact. You generalized it so how is someone to know?

Deborah

19. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

oy!!! ladies, ladies...just strip and mud wrestle already, geeeez! smile

(((I don't get into arguments, muddy or otherwise, so see u in another thread! wink))

1. drej2522 profile image68

(shrugs) K...I don't really get the argu...the 'discussion'...it seems really odd, is all.

(salutes) And now I'm booting myself out of the thread wink

20. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I woke my avatar up and tried to send him to work in my place but he refused.
    I so fired his sorry butt.
    So I'm shopping...

21. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Well if I'm not using a real pic like ow, I use pin ups, I've got a thing for them...photobuckets pretty good for fun pics smile

22. Ann Nonymous profile image61
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

I tried to find one that would add some "mystery" to my already mysterious name! hahaha...Ann Nonymous is my name, and staying anonymous is my game! Hence the question mark with a figurine avatar!!!!! It's just some random clipart but it works for me!

23. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

You know the biggest joke about the thread is that Jane@CM only started it to get a place to get more avatars for using on her Hub profile.

It's ridiculous that this thread has gotten so far off course. It's unbelieveable.

WOW!

@Sa Toya, thank you for at least answering the thread. smile

...surprised??  Has ever a thread on HP stayed on course?....now THAT would be the real surprise....! wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)