How is this fair?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I was just randomly searching and came across this item of interest and concern, To me this seems almost like an invasion of privacy.

A recent survey of 500 top colleges found that 10% of admissions officers acknowledged looking at social networking sites such as Facebook to evaluate applicants. Thirty-eight percent of admissions officers said that what they saw negatively affected the applicant.

What do you think?

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is that not fair? 

Every single bit of content that is shared on social networking sites is there because the account holder decided they wanted to share whatever with the public at large.

1. C.V.Rajan profile image58
        C.V.Rajanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right.

1. Ohma profile image61
          Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank-you I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way!

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

It's not only admissions officers but employers are checking out possible new hires by going over social media to see whether they will fit in with the company and whether they will be ideal workers.  I think that if people put it out there then it's fair game.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. social media is used for all kinds of searches. whatever we put out there is available for anyone to find. no one should be surprised. there are ways to guard your privacy.

if I were a business owner, I would definitely do a search and I'm sure there are plenty of owners that wished they had.
      or companies hiring, of course, they want the best employees they can find.

1. Ohma profile image61

How would you know you have the best person for the position if you automatically diquallify any cantidate based on something you read on the Internet?

1. wyanjen profile image71
          wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you automatically disqualify somebody for this reason, you are a fool yourself IMO.

It is one factor in the process. If there is cause for concern, then the next step would be to verify the information, if the candidate is qualified and under consideration. smile

2. yenajeon profile image71
          yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea, sometimes you could misjudge. However if I see 500 pictures of a potential hire completely drunk faced and sloppy or if I see lots of DRUG/Marajuana references or suicidal comments: then I would know to rethink the candidate !!

In my mind, this is similar to showing up for a job interview stoned as hell, dressed badly, and 20 minutes late - and yet thinking that the interviewer should be obligated to consider your application equally.

That may seem like an extreme comparison, but it is dog eat dog.

Another factor that hasn't really come up here:
            If you have 500 photos of yourself drunk and sloppy, that is a reflection of your character.
            But, posting those photos in the first place is also a reflection of you.

Everybody has skeletons in the closet, but if you put your skeletons on Facebook, you'll have to deal with the fallout.
            smile

3. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

While I see your point, once someone puts something online via a social network it becomes public knowledge. The universities want students that will take their education seriously and be a positive attribute to the school. So if an admission's officer finds a picture of the applicant playing beer pong, doing a keg stand, in a bikini, dancing on a bar, etc. I guess I can understand their concern. Although I have done all of those things and am a good student and very involved. I just choose not to post pictures on facebook.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you have a camera?

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup smile

1. profile image0
          sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well we need pictures!big_smile

4. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I think it just means that you are now 'telling on yourself' rather than having those who you reference tell.  People need to be aware of the power of the Internet, and keep thing sot themselves that they do not want to share with everyone.  Likewise, share the good stuff.  smile

I know that my husband's boss has researched a client more than once via the Internet, to find out if they pay their bills.  More than once they have saved themselves the trouble of someone who has left a trail of unpaid bills across the country.

5. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Maybe it is just the way I think. I also have an issue with employers being allowed to run credit checks to evaluate potential applicants. It just seems to me that these activities are a form of profiling and I honestly believe that it is unfair.

Also as a member of facebook I am not always responsible for what my friends write or do. My sister has any number of pics on her page of me and while I personally have nothing to be concerned about it is not fair to place judgment on me for what others may post.

6. Colebabie profile image60

Yes but if you are not "tagged" in the photo then it will not show up on your profile. You can always remove a tag that someone else places. Just like you can also remove a comment that someone posts.

1. Ohma profile image61

It is a social network! Just because someone may choose to relax and get a little crazy once in a while does not make them a degenerate party hound, the same way ones inability to pay thier bills on time does not make them a thief.
      But what do you think the reason is an employer want to check your credit history?
      It is because  someone (according to the profile) with bad credit is more likely to be a thief!

7. Colebabie profile image60

i agree with you. Like I said, I have done all of the above and am a good student. Is it invading privacy? No. But should admissions counselors/employers judge people and determine people's futures because of a photograph? Probably not.

8. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Sorry Colebabie
    I misunderstood what you were saying. Guess I am more tired than I thought. ;(

9. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

If you put it out there for the public, then anyone can read it.

1. Ohma profile image61

What if I didn't put it there? Like I said in an earlier post, we cannot be held responsible for what others do!

10. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

This is why I set my profile to private, and don't put my religious, political or sexual preferences no matter what.

On my applications I don't even mention hubpages as it is easy to access forum posts and activity.

I know it seems like an invasion of online privacy, but online, there really is none. :s Scary~

1. Ohma profile image61

This is not talking about people offering the info to recruiters this is recruiters just searching for someone by name and getting the info. It would be a whole other story I someone said "Hey why dont you check me out on facebook"

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's why all my FBs ,my Myspace ane everything is under different fake names.
        to feel free to do whatever I like.

1. Ohma profile image61

That at least makes sense but it is also a little sad that we should have to do things like that.

1. tantrum profile image59
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's sad. I  like it. To feel free to do whatever, is a good sensation.

11. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I'm the biggest freedom of speech / anti-censorship person you may ever meet.

But I do not have one problem with this.
    The recruiter is doing due diligence.
    Employers have no obligation when hiring with the exception of discrimination.

Regarding credit score: it's not a reflection of honesty, it's a reflection of responsibility.

smile

1. SandyMcCollum profile image63
      SandyMcCollumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It can also be a reflection of someone who had so many medical bills they cannot pay.

2. Ohma profile image61

I know that that is what recruiters are supposed to say but as a former recruiter I can tell you that is not the only reason checking credit is used for hiring.
      As to "The recruiter is doing due diligence". I do not agree I think it is just another way to legally invade our privacy, because they can.

In addition, I could tell you I am a Grandmother 9 times over and spend my days caring for my disabled husband or I could tell you that I am a 19 yr, old stripper and prostitute, Do you know which is true?

12. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

I don't care what the reason is, it's like smoking pot or drinking - if you don't do it at work, they should have no say in anything concerning it. Whatever I do in my off time is MY off time and not for anyone to judge my work skills by. Firmly believe that.

1. Ohma profile image61

Thank-you Sandy
      I believe some things just go way to far and this is one of them.

13. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

well if any applicant is on hub pages it would certainly not hurt their changes as I see a very high standard of writing on here smile

14. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Ohma, when you post something online you are forfeiting your privacy.
    Plain and simple, like it or don't like it.
    And it is completely legal. You know that.

Myself, I don't like it. Then again, I don't do it - with my real life identity, that is.

What do you mean, how could I tell if you're a stripper or a grandmother? If you're sending a job app to me, I'm gonna know wink

15. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Wyanjen
    I know its legal I also now that anyone of legal age can consume alcohol,or speak their mind on any subject they like. My issue is if it is not illegal then how is it fair to use it againts us?

In regard to my stripper grandma question I was trying to point out that you really can not assume you know someone well enough to pass judgment on them based on what they or someone they know post to the internet.

I don't think it is any less fair than an aptitude test which could eliminate people based on where they received their education. This also happens - all the time.

When a person's character is a factor in a decision, this type of information can be significant. Google Facebook + divorce!

It is what it is. It's something you need to protect yourself from.
      I've got less of a problem with this than I do with airport security! lol

Of course it's not the company's business if, for instance, I'm a pot smoker when I'm not at work. But drug tests are legal, so when I'm applying for a job I make sure I would pass it. I don't whine that it's not fair. (Theoretically.)
      The law is the law. If I want the job, I'll have to play the rules.

I don't assume that you are a grandmother or a stripper lol I don't assume that anything you put up here is real – I'd be a fool if I did.
      I do know that you are a helpful hubber, that's all that matters smile

1. Ohma profile image61

Thanks for the nice comment. I also find your input very helpful. I have read a few of your hubs and find that I agree with most of your opinions so here is to agreeing to disagree on this one.

smile

16. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

yea, but it's understandable from my pov. Like if I were trying to find an intern or hire for my store, I would definitely check out their fb and myspace: I want to see how well they socialize/social-marketing smile

17. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Anyone finding this thread would probably say I was argumentitive and anti-social while looking at any number of other posts you would decide that I am just the opposite. Until you meet me face to face you really have no honest way of making any assumptions about who I am.

18. profile image0
    loriamooreposted 14 years ago

Those most active in Social Media are the Millenials, who have no problem expressing themselves and their opinions publicly via the Internet.  If they care enough to express an opinion, they should be willing to suffer the consequences of same. 

I see no problem with employers or college admissions teams reviewing social media sites or googling candidates' names because it is public information as opposed to something secretly garnered.

1. Ohma profile image61

When I check my google analytics it says that one of the keyword searches that my profile shows up for is something about Infectious STD's Nothing I have ever written or posted comes anywhere close to that topic. Why should my application be judged negativly because of something that is beyond my control.

19. Greg Cremia profile image59
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

How is it fair for someone, not you, to make negative posts and then expect everyone to just ignore them. We have to learn to stand behind what we say and/or post.

20. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

When I was in college ...not too long ago. We talked about this with a lady in admissions, she told us they mainly look for things that may reveal more of the character of the person and if any red flags pop up. She told us of one guy they checked and found he had a video posted somewhere in which he and another guy were shown taking kittens from the mother cat and stomping on them and laughing like it was the greatest thing ever.. Now that is an extreme case but if kids are stupid enough to go out and do incriminating, embarrassing or stupid things then post it all over the internet they shouldn't be shocked if it comes up at some point...many employers are doing these type of check now also...and the thing is much of this stuff never goes away...do something when you are 15 and post it...it may bite your ass when you are 30 and looking for a job.

21. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

It isn't difficult to set the settings on FB profiles to "private" so that only your authorized friends can see them. If people don't want prospective schools and employers looking at those things they can either: A. NOT post them at all, as has been mentioned, or B. Only allow friends to see their sites. I thought that was pretty common Internet safety knowledge?

22. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Most colleges have to run just like a business and PR is very important to them for getting sponsorships and attracting the best of best students.  Anything that may paint the college in a negative light is something that would and should throw up a flag. 

Colleges and Universities want students that are responsible and have integrity.  These are things they need before getting in and not something the college is going to teach them.

23. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I think that a person's personal life has nothing to do with their college or employer. Provided they show up sober and do the work required with the required competence, I don't see why they should be penalised for what they do in private life.

I worked for an organisation with very an@l management in the past. They tried to impose a rule book on us. One of the rules was that we could not moonlight. At a staff meeting, I asked why this was included. The answer was that we would be too tired to do our work properly. The fact that the director and several trustees had paid directorships of other organisations was not seen as moonlighting, BTW. So I "innocently" asked, "Does that mean you need to put in a rule about sexual activity? After all, f____king several times a night will also mean the person gets in to work very tired." Strangely enough, the rule book was never mentioned again and never implemented big_smile  I continued to moonlight until I had enough clients to be able to leave that c__p place forever and become a successful freelance. My current clients couldn't care less what I do as long as the jobs get done by the deadline. I'm doing very well as a result and don't have to answer to idiot managers any more.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While I understand where you're coming from, and I agree on a personal level (I'm a very private person), I can also see that in these tight economic times anything and everything is going to become fodder for choosing the "right" employee or student. I don't think it's necessarily fair...but I can understand why it's becoming that way.

Besides, I think many employers and universities feel that the way a person handles their personal life has A LOT of impact on who they are professionally. We see people judge celebrities and politicians by their personal lives rather than their professional lives each and every day in the news. It may be a fallacy to think that the personal "ME" and the professional "ME" are really two different people...I'm not sure that they are entirely.

24. Greg Cremia profile image59
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

Plus, whoever said anything in life was going to be fair.

People who expect to be treated fair are setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment.

If anything, life is unfair.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)