i'm looking for ideas

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Daniel Lovesposted 14 years ago

i'm writing a book, it is full of poetry, short stories and drawings.  overall, it is about what i observe in life, but there is a political undertone to it about the spirit of america and americans.  and it would be really interesting to find out what people think this country needs, in order to make things better.  i'm open to whatever you have.  everyone seemingly has their own opinion of what this country needs more of or less of.  i'm looking forward to things i've heard before and things i could never imagine.   BRING IT ON!!!!

1. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tax Cuts.

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. yenajeon profile image70
        yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

omg tax cuts are the LAST thing we need.
        We need to get rid of tax breaks!!!
        Americans always want lower taxes but more benefits!! Where do you think the money comes from???

1. Sab Oh profile image57
          Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tax cuts often result in increased tax revenue. Tax cuts often result in increased employment and consumer spending. With a smaller government and less ridiculous pork we'd need to steal far less money from people to give to irresponsible legislators.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i like grass roots sort of things, you know, like people starting community gardens in vacant lots and sharing the bounty. this is a new trend, even in urban areas, and it fosters feelings of camaraderie and sharing, and lets everyone know their neighbors, which is all good. also more volunteerism. maybe if the White House fostered some sort of national campaign and put it on their website to get people interested in it...

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I went to a class on Saturday about Green Construction.

Many buildings are now planting grass on the roof for improved insulation as well as helping the environment. So they also have a green place for employees like a rooftop garden. All very cool.

You could find stuff on the web about it, just start by looking up green technology. or green buildings.

1. profile image0
          Daniel Lovesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

not a natural habitat for grass, but i love the idea.  we could use more color and nature, especially when in a office building.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Hi Daniel Loves

more action and stop bickering -- this is both for government and people

we need the caring attitude;
    patience;
    maximizing all our capabilities and we should
    never stop to learn new things in every endeavor we undertake

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

http://www.eastpacsurf.com/images/camp567.jpg

big_smile  More More More!   big_smile

1. profile image0

i hope that's not your wife, 'cause everyones eyeing her, but if that's your wife, you knew that anyway!!! haha

2. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This one works for me ! Its kinda artsy . smile

3. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh heck I have forgotten the question myself. What were we talking about? Fauna, politics, rodeo riding...In times like this I need a chocolate strawberry.

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

could that girl be any more perfect? i don't think so...wink

i forgot the OP's question, haha big_smile

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

ummm, more salad?
    oh, wait, thats me..sorry, Im with cosette...all distracted now...

1. profile image0

hahaha, gotta love what people share

6. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

this country needs to stop thinking this:

got a problem?  I'll BUY something to make it better!

Thinking like that stimulates the economy. People just have to be honest about what they are doing and what they can expect.

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh good grief - I didn't say we shouldn't buy things - I just said we shouldn't think that EVERY problem can be solved by buying things !

7. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I want to look like her !  What was the question lol

8. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Reality sells, just pitch where it's necessary. wink

9. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Here is some ideas for you....

http://hubpages.com/my/ideabank

10. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

we need more of what I saw this afternoon when I was out ...
    I was sitting at a cafe having a cup of coffee and watching people walk in and out. I noticed an older gentleman get a wheel chair out of his car and took it to the passenger side to help his wife get into the wheelchair. there was so much love in the way he handled her and she had her hand around his neck until she was seated comfortably. I thought about how much 'work' it is for him to take care of her and how just a trip to a cafe takes time and patience. when they came to the door, a man coming from the other way ran up to help hold the door while he wheeled her in.
    I was sitting behind a glass wall watching all of this and noticed the kindness in all of their faces. it really touched me in a special way. there are a lot of good human beings doing their best to live their lives, and a simple act of kindness has its own energy, it's a feel good energy.  I think often people focus way too much energy on what's wrong or what they don't like.

we need more people willing to make their own little space a better place, wherever we are.

Why were you sitting there watching instead of going to help?

1. mega1 profile image80

jumping in here, because I am a caregiver and know about this - rebekah did the right thing - you may think you can help in a situation like this, and it would be alright to ask, I suppose, but usually the person being helped can only be helped by the caregiver - the logistics of it and all, a stranger would not know the proper way to lift, for example - so rebekah should not be put down because she didn't run out there to help!

She admired someone else who ran to hold the door open for them...

1. mega1 profile image80

Still - she saw that someone else was helping, why should she run over there to help and probably just get in the way?

She had apparently been observing for longer than the good samaritan who actually did something.

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

gosh, TK, now, i know with Lita gone there's no one for you to gnaw on, but why pick a nice person like Rebekah? http://i50.tinypic.com/2yoevxy.gif grumble, grumble...

'k, that sounds cool. are you in a Sustainability program?

2. profile image0

there is nothing wrong with what rebekah did, the fact that we're at all attacking her character is sad, but that's small stuff.  the fact that this touched rebekah shows she has a good heart, and that she recognizes how the little things, the little good things are huge, becuase they give others great feelings and it all keeps getting passed on.  we know this concept, and if you relate it to the butterfly effect, one small good deed can turn into widespread care and joy.  i love being refreshed by people who try to live good lives and try to help others in wahtever way they can.  and i love people who apreciate and practice the virtue of patience.  the world needs more patience  and in other occassions, the world needs more urgency, urgency to fix serious problems that can not go on any longer.

11. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

SabOh - I suppose if you were there you know this to be true, however, that's not how I read it

She said she had been watching them from the time they started getting out of their car, didn't she?

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

RebekkahElle: I think often people focus way too much energy on what's wrong or what they don't like.

I think she speaks so true.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84

wow sab, not nice! I was not close to the door, there was a glass window and wall between us , you are extremely judgmental in these forums.

are you always rude? and find fault in everything? this is a thread to help find solutions. we certainly need less judgmental know it alls....

I wasn't being rude. It was a logical question based on the information you provided.

2. Faybe Bay profile image64

I agree RebekahELLE, I had a conversation with my daughter today on the subject as a new coworker who barely knows her raced to her aid when someone else was trying to fix her car. The other guy did not know what was wrong and could have caused more damage, the new guy recognised the problem immediately and raced over to stop the other guy before he broke something.

She said he doesn't even know me why does he care? I said, that is what's wrong. People don't care because they don't know you, it is those who care whether they know you or not that make the difference.

You did the right thing, sorry Sab saw your rant/opinion. I have dealt with this in business and personal. You cannot always jump in because you "Think" you can help, but only when you "Know" you can help. (like the door guy, knew. Just saying.

Not to beat this dead horse any further, but the 'intervention' I referred to is the same behavior that was praised in a passerby who apparently had not been observing the couple for as long as the poster. Certainly there was plenty of time to have gotten up and gone to hold open the door for them (the behavior that was praised in another). No law says you have to, I was just pointing it out. Nothing to take offense at.

none taken here, just going from personal exp. sometimes there are circumstances, such as a wal, preventing such assistance.

Ever had someone offer to help with something, like my computer for instance, and you realize halfway you asked the wrong person, as you try to stop them before it's too late?

Sometimes offering to help when you think you can is not so good, just saying. Knowing you can causes motion, thinking you can does not.

I wasn't suggesting she dive headlong through the glass window and drag the old woman out of the car by her neck in order to 'help,' I was just noting that saying how wonderful it is that people help others while she sat watching instead of actually helping is perhaps missing something important.

13. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

she works for you Mikel?  (or I am misunderstanding, probably purposely)  but this thread is soooo ripe for a good hijacking!

This is not the hijack this thread forum and it has already been hijacked as it is. It is the I need a good idea for I am writing a book about what the country needs to make it better but not too political thread.

1. mega1 profile image80

yes, so true - and good thing you reminded me - I was going to say the country needs some more positivity and this has been so well illustrated here!  Peace, and I depart with sincere apologies - good luck with that book!

1. profile image0

i spent years in negativity.  and i may lose my best friend who is like a brother to me, because he is surrounded by negativity and i have the opportunity to be surrounded by positivity.  i feel like i can't help him because i am not all powerful to every problem.  i was surrounded by negativity partly due to the cards i have been dealt and the rest was my own doing, it was like i wanted to be depressed and lose my mind, now i am sick of it and am changing the direction of the winds.  POSITIVITY
          and thank you so much for your wishes of good luck.  i hope to share it with as many people as willing to read. 
          my sincerest thank you and wishes to you for everything good you deserve.
          daniel

Don't lose your friend. A touch of negativity is necessary too.

2. Mrscicero profile image60
        Mrsciceroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I was a kid (I'm 60) the movie "Wall Street" hadn't come out and no one had ever expressed "Greed is good." We all knew that greed is bad. And IMHO we've been steered into a ditch since the 1970s or so, by the promotion of the idea that greed is good. That's what gave rise to the fraudulent real estate scams and the convoluted derivatives that brought about the recent financial meltdown. That's what inspires health insurance CEOs (among others) to pay themselves $10 million a year and up while cutting services. That's the core philosophy of transnational corporations that send jobs to the cheapest workers with the least labor protections and no environmental regulations. That's what gives the world evangelical preachers who make millions by declaring that God wants everyone to send them money. What we have lost is a very simple idea: Greed is bad. A desire for money is the root of all evil. We need to get back to a sense of balance, a sense that we can get by with meeting our needs rather than appeasing our greed. Let enough be enough.

14. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

the tiny miracles we don't notice everyday.

1. profile image0

"the tiny miracles we dont notice everyday"
      "we need to get back to a sense of balance, a sense that we can get by with meeting our needs rather than appeasing our greed"
      some great lines there!
      AND I APPRECIATE SO MUCH ALL THE INPUT HERE. 
      i'm just learning about "HIJACKING" here on hub pages. 
      the fact that people get off topic or lose sight of what the question or proposal was, is itself input to the start of this thread.  we lose focus on what we start as a nation of so many interests.  to find a way to come toa decision as a whole is something we really need, not just the interest of a state or county, but as a whole country.  not easy at all, almost impossible but the key word is "ALMOST".  i can't sum it up in a neat little paragraph, but there are those who lose sight and never get back on track and others who lose sight but find their way back.  and the ones that stay focused are usually lost in the mix of all the others.  i knew no matter what happened here on this thread would be insight into a microcosm of the nation.  attacking statements like we saw earlier and defending statements and people asking to get back to what we were talking about, thats our human ways and that's america.  ya gotta love it!  i just hope we can all come to better decisions and values so we can learn to succeed as a united people, so we can have more greatness to appreciate!  i really dont want to die never seeing america and teh world be as great and beautiful as it can be.  it is one of the deepest desires of my heart.  the only thing ahead of that is my desire to live.  i wish so badly for this.  i just hope we can do it and not destroy ourselves, it would be such a waste.  god bless us

15. rebekahELLE profile image84

not a problem, Daniel. thanks. the thing is with this post is that I was not even close to the door! of course, I would have helped with no hesitation, and I do, often. the man was not having difficulty, it was the kindness that I saw that touched me. it would be nice if we were all nicer, considerate human beings. that's all.

actually, if you ever met me, I'm one of the nicest people you could ever meet. big_smile

1. profile image0

i hope you didn't get teh impression i think you're anything but nice.  i probably worded it wrongly.  i have a grandma in a nursing home and we take her out a lot, and sit with her in the home, and when people help us hold a door or let us pass or any small but huge gesture, i know they care about the well being of others.
      WITHOUT THE GOOD, SMALL THINGS IN LIFE, THE BIG, GOOD THINGS IN LIFE HAVE NO CHANCE.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)