Meals for One

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Cooking for one is hard!  After my daughter moved to college, I was still cooking for my husband and I.  On occasion, a very rare occasion, my son will eat what I cook.  He is the pickiest eater on the planet and has been since birth.  Now that my hubby has moved for his new job, I find myself eating a few too many "healthy choice" dinners or a sandwich, instead of a good supper. 

Anyone want to share some good recipes for cooking for one and I'll write hub on it with your name along with your recipe. You can email me your recipe through my profile.

Or we could just start a long thread with cooking for one meals.

smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jane,

I just sent you an email which you might find helpful.

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

It is expensive to cook for one in terms of electricity usage etc. It is far better to cook for 4 or 5 or whatever number you normally cook for, and portion it up and freeze it.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

I've been 'cooking' for one for years now, I just do soup, or sandwiches or eat out when I can afford it.

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

microwave meals big_smile

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm getting tired of them.

Crazd, I'm tired of cereal.  Eggs are on my no, no list due to my cholesterol! 

Tonight I just put one chicken breast in the oven and t potatoes are boiling for mashed potatoes. 

I think Izza has hit it right on.  I should just cook as I use to and freeze.  Then I can send little packages back to college with my daughter to put in her freezer. 

See how productive forum threads can be?

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Cooking for one = Cearal or eggs, toast, and bacon lol

6. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Soup is a pretty good one to make as is spaghetti sauce. You can get the zip lock freezer bags and fill them then lay them flat in the freezer. Once they are frozen they stack real well and the amount is perfect to go with a salad and a nice bread.

7. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Oh, there are a million things you can do!

One piece of fish, meat, chicken in a small frying pan
    with a half cup of rice in a small pot or
    with a salad or
    with a baked potato in the toaster oven or
    with one or two steamed veggies in a small pot or
    with a small side of pasta with butter and cheese

or

Mac and cheese (make extra and save for lunch the next day)

or

veggie soup - lasts all week

or

rice mixed with veggies and sausage - two or more meals

or quiche - lasts a few days

all of these are homemade and will last longer as a result. I could go on if you need more ideas smile

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are good!  Excellent ideas!  Do you have a hub on this?  I need a quiche recipe smile

8. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

okay ummm...I still made pasta since that meant left overs
    Sandwhiches though those get annoying after a while
    There are really good meals in boxes at Target or walmart that are really good
    umm....yea sometimes I had pancakes for dinner shhhh don't tell my parents lol
    French toast too big_smile

9. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

There is a lot of times I cook for myself, and it always depends on what I'm in the mood for. So, I'm sorry, I have nothing to offer. lol lol lol big_smile

10. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Hi Jane,

I just sent you an email which you might find helpful.

Thanks Sally!

11. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Jane look in the frozen food section at your grocery store. They have this stuff called pour a quiche and it comes in different flavors. They also sell individual pie crusts that come like six to a pan and you can usually get about 12 quiche out of one of these boxes.

There is also one that is hard to find my ingles sells them but they are individual quiche that you can pop in the micro or oven made by fleishmans I think.

12. LaVieja profile image61
    LaViejaposted 14 years ago

Noooooo! You should cook for yourself. I cook for myself - and really enjoy it. I don't often get to do it as I have a family so am not often on my own, but when I can....bliss. Lovely meal, glass of wine, good book... You could cook what I made tonight- really quick and simple and soooo tasty:
    put a couple of spoons of olive oil in the pan, heat it
    chop up an onion and a spanish chorizo, toss it in, mix it up until the chorizo is cooked (about 5 mins) chop up some mushrooms (I like shitake), toss them in, open a tin of chopped tomatoes and pour them in, stir, season with salt and black pepper. Put some water on the boil, put some pasta in and boil according to packet instructions. When the pasta is ready put it in a bowl, put the chorizo/tomato sauce in the bowl, mix together and voila! If you've got some french bread that's really nice to mop up the sauce with!
    Anyway, thats just a thought!

13. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

WHY do you do this to me?  Now I am so hungry I am salivating all over my shirt!

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol there's always talk about food on these darn forums lol

14. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 14 years ago

Yeah, it's kind of hard to get inspired when you're just cooking for yourself.

Doesn't stop me though.  I enjoy cooking, and making virtually every meal from fresh ingredients 80% of the time.  It's healthier and generally cheaper than most packaged foods, or fast food.  I find most frozen dinner items are large enough for 4 servings.  I don't care to eat the same thing 4 days in a row, thank you.

MadameX is on the right track.  I do all those things.

Of course if you're not that keen on cooking, or don't have enough time, your choices are more limited, I suppose.

15. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

Day 1: Make a spaghetti bolognaise from half a pound of minced beef, plus bacon, garlic, onion, a tin of tomatoes, a splurge of tomato puree and herbs/mushrooms (a tin of mushrooms is as good as fresh ones).  Eat half of the bolognaise sauce with pasta and grated parmesan cheese.  Save the remaining half of the sauce until...

...Day 2, when you add a tin of kidney beans and some chilli powder to turn it into chilli con carne, and heat it up.  (Eat with rice if wanted.)

16. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

Change your style partly to Chinese cooking - so fast it is faster than fast food! !
        and as you lose weight on it and get more healthy it just gets faster !  I have hubs on a couple of recipes.  It is easier, like most cooking, to cook for more - but with Chinese cooking it is normal to cook more and keep half till the next meal so that always two dishes on the table.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)