Who comes up with this stuff?????

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (29 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

In Connorsville, Wisconsin a man is legally prohibited from shooting a gun while his female partner is having an orgasm.

Any weird laws you know of?

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You sure they are talking about a firearm?

2. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Imagine the noise !

3. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not weird.
      if the guy is able to shoot, it means his girlfriend is having sex with someone else !

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now that's funny!

2. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I read somewhere that in one state in america if you're driving down the highway and people on horseback come the other way, you have to pull over and cover your car over with a tarp or summat.

There is a website with all these silly laws on them, I can't remember what it is called, but I'm sure it'll come up if you google 'stupid laws'!

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

The UK has a few odd ones. I am off to go take my heard of sheep over London Bridge lol
    Cars beware!

4. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

While at Brown, I heard of a RI law that states; A person is not allowed to bite off another person's leg off.  Like that was needed to be enforced.

5. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 14 years ago

It would seem the smaller the population, the more likely the local governance is likely to address seemingly peculiar issues (at least as far as big-city folk are concerned).

Big-city councils have way too many bigger issues to deal with, and there just isn't the time.

And the farther back in history you go, the more strange these ordinaces seem. 

You should check out StormRyder's 2 hubs on 'Letter-of-the-Law.

6. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

These are (or were) real laws in Illinois.  There are hundreds of them but here are 5:

1. In Chicago, Illinois, it is illegal to fish in pajamas.

2."Dwarf-tossing," the strange practice of hurling dwarfs in padded suits, is outlawed in the bars of Springfield, Ill., because it's dangerous and exploitative. The practice is apparently allowed elsewhere in town, with a special permit.

3. Chicago: Law forbids eating in a place that is on fire; It is illegal to give a dog whiskey; Kites may not be flown within the city limits; Spitting is forbidden.

4. In Chicago it is also illegal to take a French poodle to the opera, and for women over 200 pounds (90 kilos) to ride horses in shorts.

5. It is against the law for a monster to enter the corporate limits of Urbana, Illinois.

Oh and this one is good too:

You may be convicted of a Class 4 felony offense, punishable by up to three years in state prison, for the crime of "eavesdropping" on your own conversation. -720 ILCS 5/14-2.

1. Betty Reid profile image60
      Betty Reidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, those are awesome.  Except the kit flying one.  I think that should be allowed.

7. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I did a Hub about a few of the odd laws that are still on the books in some states you might want to check out. it is called Law of the Land

8. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Still against the law in Texas to carry anything capable of cutting wire, I don't believe its being enforced though!

9. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

From West Virginia:

No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."

A person may be placed in jail for up to six months for making fun of someone who does not accept a challenge.

A person may not hold public office if he or she has ever participated in a duel.

According to the state constitution, it is unlawful for anyone to own a red or a black flag.

Road-kill may be taken home for supper.

Firemen may not whistle or flirt at any woman passing a firehouse. (Huntington)

It is legal to beat your wife so long as it is done in public on Sunday, on the courthouse steps. (Huntington)

No member of the clergy is allowed to tell jokes or humorous stories from the pulpit during a church service (Nicholas County)

From other places:

Alabama: It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.

Arizona: Hunting camels is prohibited.

Arkansas: It is illegal to mispronounce Arkansas while in Arkansas.

Idaho: Riding a merry-go-round on Sundays is considered a crime.

Illinois: It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets.

Indiana: Bathing is prohibited during the winter. (This one stinks wink )

Kansas: It is illegal to put ice cream on cherry pie in Kansas.
    Kentucky: By law, anyone who has been drinking is "sober" until he or she "cannot hold onto the ground."

Louisiana: Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."

Massachusetts: You may not, at any time take a crap on your neighbor.

Montana: It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.

New Jersey: It is illegal to wear a bulletproof vest while committing a murder

North Carolina: Elephants may not be used to plough cotton fields.

Rhode Island: Any marriage where either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic is null and void. (I suspect this covers about 99% of all marriages wink )

Tennessee: You can't shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile. (Since when are there whales in Tennessee?)

Virginia: There is a state law prohibiting "corrupt practices of bribery by any person other than candidates." (Well, that explains a lot.)

Hope you enjoyed 'em!

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So how do you pronounce Arkansas?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Are-Can-Saw"

At least I think so...but since I'm not there...I'm safe wink

10. ksha16 profile image58
    ksha16posted 14 years ago

Are-can-sas

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's more like r-can-saw

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

In some cities, it's against the law to walk on the sidewalk with an ice cream cone in your pocket.  Who knew??

12. IntimatEvolution profile image68

I love withrichard's #4.  That is too funny.

13. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

In Chicago, people who are diseased, mamed, mutilated, or deformed to the point of being an unsightly or disgusting object are banned from going out in public.

14. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

A state law in Illinois mandates that all bachelors should be called master, not mister, when addressed by their female counterparts.

15. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

In Oblong, Illinois it's punishable by law to make love while hunting or fishing on your wedding day.

16. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Get outta here.  Are you kidding? 

I think that one is about the silliest one I've heard!lol

17. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

it is illegal under California law to wear the insignia or apparel of a secret society, fraternal organization, etc. without the authorization of the involved group. See California Penal Code section 538b.

18. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

In Texas, it's against the law for anyone to have a pair of pliers in his or her possession.

In Philadelphia, you can't put pretzels in bags based on an Act of 1760.

Alaska law says that you can't look at a moose from an airplane.

In Corpus Christie, Texas, it is illegal to raise alligators in your home.

In Miami, it is           to imitate an animal.

It is against the law to mispronounce the name of the State of Arkansas in that State.

In Illinois, the law is that a car must be driven with the steering wheel.

California law prohibits a woman from driving a car while dressed in a housecoat.

In Memphis, Tennessee, a woman is not to drive a car unless a man warns approaching motorists or pedestrians by walking in front of the car that is being driven.

In Tennessee, it is against the law to drive a car while sleeping.

In New York, it is against the law for a blind person to drive an automobile.

In West Virginia, only babies can ride in a baby carriage.

In Georgia, it is against the law to slap a man on the back or front.

A barber is not to advertise prices in the State of Georgia.

In Louisiana, a bill was introduced years ago in the State House of Representatives that fixed a ceiling on haircuts for bald men of 25 cents.

In Oklahoma, no baseball team can hit the ball over the fence or out of a ballpark.

19. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

In South Carolina (I think) a woman must wear at least 18 yards of material in her dress.

20. IntimatEvolution profile image68

I found a new one, "In Ventura County, California, cats and dogs are not allowed to have sex without a permit."

I think this is so silly too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)