AT WHAT POINT DO YOU START MAKING MONEY OFF OF THIS?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)
  1. The Donkey profile image59
    The Donkeyposted 14 years ago

I'm new to HubPages, so give me a break if this is a terrible question. I nearly have 40 followers, and I have posted 15 hubs in 5-6 weeks. When do you start making the big bucks?

1. EFPotter profile image60
      EFPotterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I seem to have started around the same time you did, about four weeks ago, and have the same fans. I've only done ten hubs. Some of these are formatted for viewing for selling, others personal. Some have Amazon, some don't.

In four weeks, I've made $0.61 with Adsense. I wouldn't exactly call that big bucks. I think it definitely takes time, lots of hub producing, and producing the right kind of hubs with the right stuff in them. There are tons of hubs on what makes a hub sell.

I definitely see potential for earning to increase with time and hub count, however.

The Donkeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, 0.61 is the big bucks, compared to my earnings. I've made a whopping $0.00...

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone will make big bucks.  And those who do start to see earnings at different times.  Before I joined staff, I was just your average Hubber, and I was making $10 a day by my fifth month, and had my first $1000 month (on AdSense alone) about a year after signing up, but I do not pretend those are average earnings.

If you're here to make money, I think you probably want to rethink your strategy.  Your hub titles are not the type that usually rise high on search engine results, nor are your topics themselves normally money-makers.  There are loads of hubs out there on how to choose topics and keywords, so I'll point you to the search box up there in the header.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't pay any attention to your number of followers if you goal is to earn money.  Money comes from traffic and CPM.

3. CuzzoShizzo profile image58
      CuzzoShizzoposted 14 years ago

My suggestion is to take the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge and write about topics that get searches. Do a little bit of keyword research and find keywords that people are searching that also have low competition.

I just finished the challenge and although I am not making big bucks yet I definitely see the potential to. Just take the time to read about how to find good topics to write about and you will start making progress in no time. Good Luck!

4. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

What?? What a Jackass!!! lol 

You are a Donkey.... A Beast of Burden... You want to get paid for that role?? hmm

The Donkeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you go look at my profile page, you will see why I call myself "The Donkey". I don't just call myself that for nothing. It has meaning behind it, trust me smile

5. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years ago

Just purely cranking out Hub isn't the answer to earnings.  If you want to earn you have to write with that in mind.

Some topics draw lots of traffic, but earn poorly.  Making hubs as though you were making blog entries also tends to produce content that doesn't earn well. 

Some people, due to how and what they write about, never find writing Hubs becomes profitable.

I wrote a Hub a while back that many new Hub authors have found useful, http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

6. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I've been on HubPages 11 months. I've made a google adsense payout since my second month, every month. I reached $1,000 a month in November with my combined earnings of ebay, Amazon and Adsense. And I will make over $2,000 this month.

I write hubs to make money and to attract search engine traffic. The number of fans you have and the number of comments they make has nothing to do with the amount of money you'll earn. It's all about outside traffic and a little luck. For example I sold an expensive computer today and made a large Amazon commission - and I don't even have a computer for sale on any hub.

Maddie Ruud wrote a series of hubs on how to be a successful hubber. I printed those out and read them every day for the first 3 months I was here. I kept telling myself if Maddie could do it I could do it too.

7. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Give it time!

You need to work hard to earn money online, it's not easy.

Keep writing though, and you will see success!

1. Madison22 profile image60
        Madison22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great advice! Have fun with it too:)

8. DanPowers profile image46
      DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I also have a hub about making money online - check it out.

I am new to hubbing but not new to making money online - I've been in adsense since '03 and amazon since '99.

My 40 hubs I've written in 3 weeks have only made me less than a dollar so far, although I had my adsense settings wrong for most of that time so my advertisers got freebie advertising! Oops!

I would think that you need at least 150 hubs on good topics to see any significant earnings. Make sure you have Google Analytics installed and play around with the Adwords keyword suggestion tool.

Topics are key to making money on hubs. On my own website my top subject has a 50x larger clickthrough rate than my other topics. I am not going to give away my secrets for free, but suffice to say if you understand *why* people click on ads then you will do very well.

Also think of it as planting seeds. I started my software business in 2002, but I didn't get my peak earnings until 2008!

9. myownworld profile image73
      myownworldposted 14 years ago

If you're serious about making money here, then you have to put in some time and effort into understanding the techniques for it. Plenty of hubs on the subject, but this is one I found very useful:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-Mon … ges-Step-1

10. Riveneye profile image59
      Riveneyeposted 14 years ago

Like everybody else has  said just cranking out hubs isn't the answer. Better content can provide more views, followers, and overall more revenue. It takes time. Just work hard and it will happen.

1. Steve 3.0 profile image62
        Steve 3.0posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is going to take me a few weeks to read through all the hubs about how to make money making hubs:)  Hopefully I can earn some money doing this, will be fun finding out.

11. lindagoffigan profile image57
      lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

One of the commenters was correct to say that writing  in a blog style earns less money than writing on product reviews or  commercial items.  Newbies on Hubpages usually write their hubs like blogs and just for the fun of it.  However, there are stipulations that will get Google Adsense earnings and that is taking the time to use Google Keyword Search to optimize.

I have written quite a lot of hubpage articles, 996 in just over a year and it took four months for my first payout. I receive a monthly check from Google and was content. I try to write more than my fan base and that has risen to  644. 

I have enjoyed  blogging on a social content site as Hubpages and is looking to earn  by writing for Associated Content and Examiner.com that offer writing reviews  and a more journalistic style of writing.

12. DanPowers profile image46
      DanPowersposted 14 years ago

People that aren't making money from hubs are probably writing about the wrong thing. Not many people want to read somebody's poems and stuff, but they sure as hell want to know about your life experiences and how you have solved a problem that they also have.

But let's get this straight - making money from writing on the web is HARD WORK. The professional article writers over on warriorforum crank out an article every hour! I have a list of 300 hub ideas.

Anyway, I'll give something away for free to my fellow hubbers. Travel is a valuable subject to write about. eCPM is great on adsense. Everytime I go on holiday I write a few pages about my experiences. There you go, get hubbing!

13. lesterd2009 profile image60
      lesterd2009posted 14 years ago

I dont get tired of hearing that question..smile

14. aswalker profile image69
      aswalkerposted 8 years ago

Hello all!
      One of the replies on here mentioned that they did not have their adsense set up right. I think that may be the case for me as well. ..how can I know I have it set up right? ?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Go to your Earnings tab and look at your Settings - if it's showing your Adsense number correctly and it says "Active", you're fine. 

Also make sure you've signed up for all the other programs.

15. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

I can't answer your Adsense query. Pretty simple to put a number in a box as far as I can remember.

What is more interesting (to me) are the people and numbers on this five year old thread.

Thousands of dollars!  People are talking about thousands!  Oh the good old days.  Just as I joined it all went tits up.

Some of the posters on this thread have removed all their hubs, left or been banned.  There are a few that still have hubs.  Maddie has a 10 million hits counter.

I don't know if any of the guys on here are still active. I wonder how much they make these days.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your comment made me curious about Maddie. She has not been active recently nor has she posted a new hub in 4 years.  So I was curious what happens to hubs that are not being constantly tended to, or that are not associated with new posts on that subdomain.

Apparently it's not good.  I randomly selected 4 of her more esoteric hubs and Googled their titles (things like using sugar to remove hair etc...). Only one appeared on page 4 of the SERPs (waistbelt trimmers). The others are farther down the list.

I would guess that in this instance, her HP income is greatly diminished.

1. NateB11 profile image89
          NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is very interesting and I've wondered, often, when I come across an old inactive profile if they are still making money and how well they are doing in the SERPs. Looks like in some cases, they're not doing so well.

Something else interesting I noticed is that WebMD comes up high in the SERPS for many of these pseudo medical / health topics.  They are insanely prolific.  I wonder if the won't get into writing healthy recipes next.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

More importantly, WebMD is authoritative and accredited.  They may be prolific but they are also generally very accurate.

I wondered about that too this morning, when this flew into my inbox.  I am not sure that this diet myth busting is accurate.  After all, these articles on weight loss are written by people just doing a job.  Maybe there is less oversight on the weight loss side of WebMD.  See it here:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/myths-vs-facts-10/default.htm

16. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

omg HP you  have to close these five year old threads

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
        Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Or maybe just stop featuring them under "related discussions"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)