It's Black & White

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (60 posts)
  1. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I was just watching the news and they ran a story of adoption and the opposition to whites adopting black children. I thought it was ridiculous. I say give the child a home reguardless of race. I can see little harm this would cause the child. What do you think?

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fully agree with you, it shouldn't matter what skin colour a child has, everyone should have a family.

1. Alya rose profile image60
        Alya roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see no problem with this,but it seems that some poeple still put too much to skin color.Ridiculous.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree!

3. profile image0
      rhartlandsbergposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just think adoption in general should be a more frequently used system to help find love for everyone who needs love.  I think limiting the ability to adopt any child on the basis of race or sexual orientation is discrimination at it's purest and goes against the basic anti-discrimination laws many countries have in place.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ive been trying to get my ol lady to adopt a couple of Hustler girls, but she ain't having any of it...

1. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sorry but that was fucking funny

1. profile image0

Doesn't even matter what color!

2. Mamelody profile image60
          Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

man, sounds like you and your old lady are a match made in heaven..

1. profile image0

Not "old" "ol" lady! You're gonna get me killed!

1. Mamelody profile image60

sorry typo error..

well u a cow boy I should think it would be hard to kill you..

1. profile image0

Hard to protect yourself when you're asleep, and thats when they come, remember Lorena Bobbit?

lol lol

4. marcel285 profile image64
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

5. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Chalk up another sign of racism at it's finest.

Who was advocating against it? What political statement were they trying to make?

I would agree.
      Unfortunately, there are plenty of draw backs to putting a child of a different race with that of another, because society in general still has too much racism/racists in it. The child is subjected to more than their fair share, and get treated, sometimes even worse, because they get it from both sides.
      I am for it. I can see how it would make one stronger in the end, providing the parents stand strong beside them.

I can tell you right now....I have witnessed "racism" in person, and I can tell you....it is still being "bred" into children. I broke off a good friendship years ago, because the parents were trying to bred their sons to hate others of a different color. My friend didn't see things their way and was open-minded. How he managed it? I'll never know. The other son, is a hateful, angry individual, I'm glad I don't know.

Unfortunately, most people refuse to believe me, when I say it's still being "bred" into children.

It's a horrible thing to do to a child and confusing them, and makes weapons out of human beings. It's sad to say, but it's the truth.

1. profile image0
        StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good points Cags

1. Cagsil profile image70

Thank you Stormy. smile But, the fact remains. It's sad, that people cannot grow up and let go of the past. hmm

1. profile image0

It will never go away completely I'm sure..

I'm not convinced of that. I do have a more optimistic view that it could be eventually weeded out of society. And, I say eventually. lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I have seen the opposite, I'd say it depends strongly upon the parents. (See my post above.)

Hi Rochelle. Yes, I have too seen it on both sides of the fence. I've seen it many different cultures too. Some people, just love to hate for some reason. hmm

6. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are these people purposely saying that they don't want to adopt a black child? Or are they just adopting white children at a greater rate?

If its the second one then there is a psychological reason behind it. People unconsciously like those who are similar to themselves.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

I think it can be fine. I also think it may raise some special problems for the child, but nothing that informed parents can't cope with.

It is sad that it is even an issue, as if red headed parents couldn't figure out how to raise a blonde...

3. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

It has been shown over and over again that children need loving parents to thrive.

They do not need parents of any particular color, parents of any particular culture, or parents of any particular sexual orientation in order to thrive...they need GOOD parents, period.

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

while love is all a child needs with validation, there is no question this causes confusion, cultural differences, feeling different.  a good parent would be prepared to accept and help their child feel love is greater than all this, but prepared to also accept and embrace their differences.

1. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I do think a child should have someone in the family that is the same nationality, as when they grow older it might confuse or hurt them.
      Hi, Lyric, how are you?

1. profile image0

Hey girl how are you?  Looking good big_smile

5. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I know a few black and white couples. If any of them were to adopt, I wonder whom they should pick. Maybe an Asian or Indian child?
    There is no black and white answer to this. They need to be good parents, that's all.

1. cally2 profile image59
      cally2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ooh can i get a green one? smile

Oh no that's the back of the car on long journeys- been there done that! Bought the cleaning fluids.

6. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

There is, according to the news report an overwhemlingly large number of black children in the system compared with white children and by insisting on same race adoption those numbers will continue to increase as there are far many more white and asian couples looking to adopt than black couples, thus more of the black children will be in the system until of legal age. I just think it would be more benificial to the child to be raised by parents reguardless of race as oppossed to the state raising them.

7. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

You know Navin Johnson was raised by a Black family and he turned out ok.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsyS0oHLNFA

1. profile image0

And Dennis Rodman was raised by white parents....Oh,....never mind..lol lol

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMAO...bad example....   big_smile

2. Ivorwen profile image66
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

3. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as Dennis Rodman isn't the one doing the adopting, then i am ok with it

8. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

That whole story pissed me off!

Would the children seriously be better off homeless?

9. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Whether we like it or not there will always be some people that are going to feel that one race is better or different than another. I am not saying that it is right or fair but it is what it is.
    The issue for me is that because we have not succeeded in changing the way people think about it, the children would be subjected to a lot of cruelty from some of their peers and some not very diplomatic adults.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can see where you're coming from here, but at the same time I think no matter what kind of family a child has they are possibly (probably) going to be subject to "cruelty from some of their peers and some not very diplomatic adults."

1. Ohma profile image60
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I do which only doubles the amount of negativity these poor children will have to endure.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91

I agree that there will always be the problem of "what will other people think", because some will think negative things. Sometimes those perceptions will cause bad feelings and negative actions. It is unfortunate and wrong, but it is one of many challenges families can face.

For that reason, these families need to be strong and prepared to help the children rise above that mentality. I know many more 'mixed' families now than when I was growing up, and I think these are the people who are on the front line of changing people's stereotyped ideas.

1. Ohma profile image60
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be done. I am only saying that for it to be a totally positive experience we would first have to change the mindset of quite a few people.
        I live in a comparatively small city where racial tension is very high all the time. It is not uncommon to see children fighting on the streets everyday over racism. It never goes away.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91

I understand that it can be difficult, especially in some places where people have deeply held opinions.

Some of my early years were spent in an area where my family was a minority (white). I was never taught that any people were inferior or superior and this was 50/60 years ago. I played with a dark-haired girl and I didn't know she was black.

10. Ben Zoltak profile image82
    Ben Zoltakposted 14 years ago

I enjoy when conservative American whites show their true colors, it helps the good Americans win elections.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To whom, or about whom, are you speaking?

2. profile image0

Really, have the "good Americans" won elections lately?

1. Ben Zoltak profile image82
        Ben Zoltakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, except of course, in Massachusetts. I guess we can't keep all the Neocommies out of the senate.

1. profile image0

and New Jersy and Virginia, get used to it a whole lot more coming your way!

1. Ben Zoltak profile image82

Great, so the last conservative "Texan" president first destroyed Texas' economy, then proceeded to destroy the entire countries' economy. Except for a couple of rich kids friends of the former president, everyone else is broke. That's what I'm used to from conservatives, pretending to help regular folks, while they hand all the countries wealth to the wealthy.

11. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I don't know if you guys have seen "The Blind Side" that stars Sandra Bullock. It is based on a true story about a black guy, whose mother was a smack addict, adopted by a loving white family.
    That guy went on to graduate, after being a nothing all his life, through the love and care he received from his adopted family.
    He went on to become one of the greatest NFL players of all.

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/blind_side_true_story1.jpg

1. profile image0

your amazing girl.  Such a beautiful heart

shit another moment

is that meg ryan on the right?

1. profile image0

lol

hello darling can I have a boobie hug? wink

Mine have totally shrunk from over hugging some people and need them to perk back up again tongue tongue

Oh mine are of a darker color so I hope you don't mind big_smile

2. blondepoet profile image66
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol they aren't actors. They were his real parents. Sandra plays his mother in the movie.

2. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love u lyrics.

2. Ben Zoltak profile image82

Sounds like a cool story.

3. profile image0

I haven't seen the movie...I rarely go to the movie theater..But I will watch it when it hits the movie channels. smile

12. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Blonde, I have not seen the movie, I did read about it. Hopefully stories like this will pave the way to making mixed adoptions common place.

13. Mamelody profile image60
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I will never understand why skin color is a problem in our society.. It really annoys the life out of me and personally I think racism should be officially a crime as its ridiculous.

I have a friend who was raised by white parents and she's just as lovely.. when are people going to get it in their thick skulls that its not what a person looks like but what they actually are that matters?

14. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

My mother bore me in the southern wild,
    And I am black, but oh my soul is white!
    White as an angel is the English child,
    But I am black, as if bereaved of light.

My mother taught me underneath a tree,
    And, sitting down before the heat of day,
    She took me on her lap and kissed me,
    And, pointed to the east, began to say:

"Look on the rising sun: there God does live,
    And gives His light, and gives His heat away,
    And flowers and trees and beasts and men receive
    Comfort in morning, joy in the noonday.

"And we are put on earth a little space,
    That we may learn to bear the beams of love
    And these black bodies and this sunburnt face
    Is but a cloud, and like a shady grove.

"For when our souls have learn'd the heat to bear,
    The cloud will vanish, we shall hear His voice,
    Saying, 'Come out from the grove, my love and care
    And round my golden tent like lambs rejoice',"

Thus did my mother say, and kissed me;
    And thus I say to little English boy.
    When I from black and he from white cloud free,
    And round the tent of God like lambs we joy

I'll shade him from the heat till he can bear
    To lean in joy upon our Father's knee;
    And then I'll stand and stroke his silver hair,
    And be like him, and he will then love me.

Just thought William Blake would have liked to comment on this one big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)