I'm kinda ashamed to even ask this lol..

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (32 posts)
  1. MyWebs profile image80
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Do others think 50 video capsules in one hub is too many? LOL

I didn't start out planning to have so many but my undiagnosed OCD kinda kicked in and I just couldn't stop.

I tend to think for users with an older PC with not much RAM they would have issues with my hub. Works fine with my 2 Gigs of RAM on a 3 yr old lappy. smile The total load time is going to suck to high heaven for some....

I do have a plan B if I must...
    Thanks

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don;t be embarrassed.....just ask yourself if you were looking at a hub with 50 videos attached if you would take the time to view them all....if your answer is yes then keep them, if your answer is no then modify accordingly.

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Arrh, but is you have 50 videos, it gives people plenty of choice to pick and choose.  Like traffic, hubbing and adsense, something has to stick!  Watch your anaylitics time on page scream upward! hehehe x

MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes this is what I was thinking too. If they like a musician then there are more to listen to. If not then they can go to the next one easy enough.

Yes time on page should be awesome.

1. profile image0
            shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used to be reluctant to post more than two videos because I used to think that it would go against me with the 'two links to the same website' rule. I have since realised that the youtube capsule is the exception to this rule.

Go baby... go!  Cant wait to see what you have on offer!  Bound to be something I like!!!! x

2. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Ummm yes lol

3. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Sounds a bit much to me but then again my undiagnosed Attention Deficit disorder might have something to do with that. big_smile

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

50?   hmmm, I think even 5 would be a lot. hmm
    is it a music hub?

Yes it is. Similar to a top ten list. I have between 3 and 10 for each listing.

Maybe I can switch em up every few days so only about 30 show at any one time, rest I make invisible.  I'm not deleting any, this was too much work

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it does sound like a lot of work.

music videos are fun to watch. I've never seen that many in a hub, but you can give it a go and see what happens! I'll come and take a look.

what is the top ten category?

Its not published yet. I'm hoping some of the musicians get back in touch with me with pics I can use. I've been in contact with some of them before so I think a few will.

Its not exactly a top ten list really. More like 10 up and coming musicians many probably never have heard of before.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you just do ten separate Hubs, one for each?

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have to say, I would not look at or listen to 50 videos on one hub.

6. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

If it works keep em tongue

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point, about if it works.  50 of anything in this venue is asking a lot of the reader.

MyWebs, can you sort, categorize these gems and perhaps make 10 hubs of them, 5 videos in each that gather around a topic, theme or subject?

I don't think you should throw this work away, just maybe find a way to use it to make 10 different points that your readers can identify with?

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.

You dig up a 5 day old topic to say "I agree with you"??
          sad

7. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Is there any actual writing in this hub, I mean is there any room for words with all those video capsules?
    No come on you are having a laugh aren't you? It's Saturday night and you thought you'd wind us up? Are you planning on rivalling youtube for videos?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I couldn't appreciate your hub anyway when I have a 5 Gb a month data limit. I think 50 videos might go over that.

Right now there are 1154 words. Time I add more details there will probably be at least 2,000 words or so.

I really am serious. If It was done I'd hit publish right now. Many Americans have unlimited internet so for most in the states bandwidth isn't an issue.

Funny you should mention YouTube lol
      50 videos would probably be about 350 MB's or so if someone watched them all. I doubt anyone would do that. Regardless it should be a very sticky page.

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like Sally says, great advice to split it into different hubs. More kudos to you if someone is interested enough to look at all the links, but then again, if this is important to you to keep it all together, then I'm sure it'll make an awesome hub.
        And that is a lot of words you have written! I'll come read the words and try not to click on the videos (though I might be tempted to peak at one or two).

8. Internetwriter62 profile image76
    Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

Sounds fascinating, have you finished it? What's the hub about? Now if it's a surprise, you don't have to tell us.

See you email please.

9. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

On vids.  Up to you, but to me that would seem like a lot.

However, specifically as to whether it would lag out slow users... I don't think it will.  On Hubs, when you open up one with a video attachment, it doesn't start up automatically so if a viewer goes through one by one picking some to listen to, there shouldn't be a problem.

I could be wrong, but I sometimes use music vids and this is what I've noticed.  Hope that helps.

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I don't even know what a capsule is much less how to make one. So in my opinion you're a genius and you can do what ever you want!big_smile

11. profile image0
    renoelleposted 14 years ago

Holy moley that sounds huge! 2000 words ia plenty long for me, and I love to read. Even as a tribute hub it seems awfully long. My goodness that's a lot of work you've done, but I'm with the ladies who suggest splitting it into several hubs. Then you'd have several for the price of one, as it were big_smile

12. MyWebs profile image80
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

The topic doesn't really lend its self well to splitting it up I don't think. And I've read more negative results on here than positive ones on Part 1 & Part 2 type hubs.

I will go with it as it is and if I get much negative feedback on it then I think I'll go with plan B which is to disable random videos every few days so not all are visible at any given time. Maybe 30 is more reasonable, 3 for each in the list of ten. I figure this has the added benefit of the hub is constantly changing, which Google tends to love anyways. Freshness factor I believe its called, or something similar.

If waynet had not of distracted me with his excellent question I probably would be about done with it by now.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey MyWebs,

Here..check out my hub. This can be a very good example of 50 or more capsules.

My Valentine's Day Hub - it has 49 Women on the page, each with a picture and text capsule.

That's 100 capsules for the entire Hub.

Look at the length...is your anywhere near it's length?

Then I think you'll be good.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Women-Writers-I … -Community

My hub I have to hit page down 47 times compared to your  69. So no mine is a bit shorter, but once I finish it up it will probably be about the same.

I was mostly worried about having 50 flash objects consuming excessive ram, causing slow page loads for all that flash code and possibly it crashing flash.

I don't care so much about vertical length since a user doesn't really need to see it all to benefit from it like they would with a normal hub.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, at least I gave you an idea about having 50+ capsules and what it is like to load 100. The edit part can be time consuming, with more capsules.

Just a thought. Good luck with it. smile

14. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

You can divide it into more than one hubs like: 80s pop part I , 80s pop part II ..... , and it won't even hurt your readers if you give the link to part II in part I and so on.

15. Dao Hoa profile image61
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Marisa has a good idea "Why don't you just do ten separate Hubs, one for each?" This is a logical division of the material.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yea, like I said above. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)