Is there anyone out there who believes in free choice?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I see a lot of people trying to push their beliefs onto others, and a lot of people being dissed for their beliefs.
    A. Everyone has the right to believe what they want.
    B. That's fine and dandy, but you don't have the right to be trying to push your beliefs on others, telling them your right and they are wrong.

Why? It seems to me that ppl who do this are just bored..It's pathetic.

ANYONE?? Who agrees?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're referring specifically to religious beliefs, then the handy thing on HP is that discussion of these is largely confined to the religion forum.  So if like me you don't "do" religion, then you can just stay out of that forum.  Easy peasy.

marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No i'm not referring specifically to religious beliefs, i just meant beliefs in general.

I do generally stay out of those forums. But the hate bothers me.

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What hate exactly?

1. profile image55
            (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

From your god, of course. smile

2. marcel285 profile image64

You know not of the hate i speak of?? C'mon!! Yeah you do, or have you not been living on earth?

2. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree you have a right to believe what you want.

But I also think people have a right to push their beliefs upon you and call themselves right and you wrong.

But... YOU have a right to ignore them!

Please exercise your rights! xOx

3. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Now what?  Threads like these, cannot change forum topics debating religious beliefs or the way people argue.  So whereas you think those threads serve no purpose, I think posts like this, are a complete waste of time.

4. Dgerrimea profile image60
      Dgerrimeaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Point A: it depends on what you mean by a 'right', it can be kind of an empty concept at times.
      Point B: I don't support the forcing of one's beliefs onto others, but the fact is some beliefs are wrong. I have no problem stating that I think an opinion or belief is wrong.

Well that's where your wrong. 'Having no problem stating if a belief is wrong'..What makes you think that you know the answers any better than anyone else does??

1. Dgerrimea profile image60
          Dgerrimeaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We all have beliefs about the world, and everyone thinks the beliefs they hold are likely to be correct; this is what it means to hold a belief.
          When people have more than one belief about a particular subject, and the beliefs are incompatible, then someone is necessarily wrong.
          And I have no problem stating that I think an opinion or belief is wrong.

Not all opinions are equal.

5. Kathryn Ferrier profile image60
      Kathryn Ferrierposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a saying "An opinion should be valued whether agreed upon or not." I certainly value an opinion. And hope mine are valued as well. It's not always the case tho. Re: One sister-in-law that thinks I'm less of a woman for not having kids. She has baby sat all her life. It hurts my feelings we cannot all communicate from an intelligent standpoint.

6. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marcel;
      If ya don't have a knife at my ribs or a gun to my head, ain't nobody gonna force his beliefs on me!
      When folks have tried to "force" their beliefs on me, I simply say yer fulla BS, chuckle and walk away.
      I control my senses, I turn ya on and turn ya off....willfully.
      You do that don't ya?   :-)

Not quite sure i understand what your trying to say...Willfully degrading a fellow being to their face is so not cool though..

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

"All men shall be free to profess, and by arguement to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion." -Thomas Jefferson

3. profile image0
    moonphlowerposted 14 years ago

I say this... Opinions are like a**holes!  Everybody's got one, some are just uglier than others!!

lol

4. marcel285 profile image64

Good points there people

5. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

My brother used to live near a Family planning clinic, there were protesters outside all the time that would show these partial birth abortion (whatever the hell that is) pictures. Big huge posters of dead babies for the whole family to see.
         I'm against abortion but some people go too far.

6. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

These forums have been tamed down a lot from when I first started. I think that without conflict we do not learn. I may not agree with someones point of view but if I do not pay attention to it I can never learn and grow as a person.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is a statement of truth.
        When we think that we know everything we also stop learning.
        Like my grandpa said...We cain't learn nuthing while our mouth is moving.   
        However ...  I have learned a few things while talking to my self by hearing how stupid it sounds when I hear out loud some of the thoughts that I had been thinking.
        It is a good thing to hear diffrent opinions other than just our own.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

conflict is fine as long as both sides consider the other opinion as being plausible even if not in agreement.
      what happens here at times turns into harassment.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The concept of accepting anothers opinion as being plausible even when not agreed upon is a utopian fantasy, I think.  I have never been able to communicate with anyone who agreed with the statement to begin with so, of course, our differing opinions always created major conflict without any resolution.

(except here on the forums!)

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can certainly consider something I don't agree with as plausible, but that doesn't mean I agree with it or that it's true.  it's called an open mind. I don't see that as utopian fantasy. utopian fanstasy is just that, a fantasy. there's a big difference between considering and accepting, in my post I said consider. closed minds won't consider anything other than their own belief as being true, which leaves little room for discussion.

definition of plausible: : superficially fair, reasonable, or valuable but often specious, you'll have to look up specious wink

I see little real 'discussion' in some of these threads, that's why I choose not to enter these threads very often.
          forum speak, I guess.

1. Rafini profile image82
            Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree with you, I like to keep an open mind.  But, it has gotten me into lots of trouble when it comes to people who refuse to have an open mind - that's why I say I think it's a utopian fantasy.  I have yet to meet anyone, face to face, who has an open mind and is willing to consider another idea as plausible.

2. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Plausible? How is belief in the sky fairy plausible?
        Laughable sure. smile

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He MUST be plausible. You talk about him all the time. lol

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure, It's what I say about the fairy that matters. it is a pile! smile

7. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

DEVO believes in Freedom Of Choice...lol  These guys are awesome!! Kind of?? Maybe??  Okay, maybe not big_smile lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVGINIsLnqU

8. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

If your content with who you are and how you live your life you wouldn't feel the need to argue, just let everyone else do what they want, you should be concentrating your energy on bettering your self.  So I agree with Marcel

Nicely put. This is the point exactly that i am trying to make. I see this conflict of beliefs, and i personally think it's disgusting.

What you believe is your choice. We are all humans who want to be loved and liked. The only way to know ultimate truth in those 2 things, is to be happy with who we are as individuals, on a personal level. So what i see in this conflict, is quite sad, ppl who don't love themselves. You can't expect anyone to love you if you don't love yourself.

9. profile image55
    Hell N0posted 14 years ago

It is obvious that you people don't know the true meaning of free choice.

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Educate us please. We're dying to know! big_smile

lol You poor soul. Lost soul.

2. marcel285 profile image64

No they don't.

10. marcel285 profile image64

Ignorance is bliss. know what you know, and believe that you are right in knowing it. But if you belittle another persons beliefs, then what or whom is to prove that your right and their wrong?

11. profile image55
    Hell N0posted 14 years ago

AKA, free choice is an impossible ability to make choices with no pryor cause or influence.  It is the most unscientific doctrine in all of religion.  And I'll add, the scriptures never even hint that we have such a thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)