My First 2 poems?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image59
    SLDposted 14 years ago

Ok so I don't really know how to get started around here, so after reading a few topics I figured I should just go ahead and post something.

I have absolutely no idea what qualifies something as poetry, as I didn't pay attention in english in high school and I haven't been taking writing courses in college. Recently though, I've felt the need to begin writing in an attempt to improve my ability to express myself through the written word. I've always had a knack for speaking, but my writing skills leave something to be desired. Any constructive criticism on what may or may not be my first 2 poems, would be extremely helpful. Thank you for your time.

My first poem:
    Death to the Candle

Death to the Candle
    Damn its false promises
    A scent of a better place
    To hide what’s in your face
    Cover up the bitter stench
    Until the fire dies
    Nothing is forever
    The wick weeps ashes as it cries
    The pain of death is up on it, no more reason to exist
    Death to the Candle, mmm was that peaches?

Second Poem: Untitled

My flow is breathin.
    Heartbeat thumpin.
    I'm Frankenstein and this is my monster.
    Only difference is I'm the murderer here.
    Chase you til the ends of the earth with my words.
    Have no fear, bow to the master.
    King of the Clowns,
    worthless really
    Silly is the idea that you could compare,
    to the talent of originality
    Mentalityto be me,
    nothing refined here,
    to find here,
    just a grind here.
    Chillin in the crib,
    Choking down the green
    if you know what I mean.
    Floating on the clouds
    can't bring me down.
    Spaceman cruisin to Mars.
    Boozin at the bars,
    can't slow down
    I don't know how,
    didn't come with brakes
    maybe I should be recalled.
    But I'm gonna beat this drum til the day that I die.
    It's the only way I know how,
    don't even know why.
    Dead man walking,
    free man joggin,
    wanted man runnin.
    So I gotta be the fastest,
    can't pass this,
    you know I cash this.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like them.

Anything is poetry but there are conventions like rhyming - the way that works is to rhyme or not rhyme as long as whatever you do is for a reason.
      In the first one you rhyme place and face in lines 3 and 4 then dies and cries seem to rhyme randomly, the kinda sameness between promises and peaches is good if you intended it ?

It scans like rap music from part way down so to 'hit' the rhyme now and again is ok - but should be consistent to mean anything or inconsistent for a reason.

hope this is useful - and just cos I am talking don't mean I am right if you got different ideas smile

2. Tyrone Smalls profile image68
      Tyrone Smallsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I liked them both! You have a remarkable skill !! If your car crash, please jump out first !!!

Quest? Is the candle the land of the free?!

'YLYND'

3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I favored the first one, the second was more like a rap to me. You definitely have a talent though.

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

First of all welcome! I'm not a good judge since I can barely spell my own name. I enjoyed reading them and if you like writing them I say go for it!smile

3. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

That was pretty good, real deep, man. Welcome.

4. profile image0
    suzanne22posted 14 years ago

I enjoyed the read I new two just finding my feet you write well nice work.

5. sagbee profile image58
    sagbeeposted 14 years ago

Beautiful poems indeed.. You have a good imagination power and frame the words in to a real flow.. smile looking forward to read more from you.. all the best smile

6. Ben Evans profile image62
    Ben Evansposted 14 years ago

A poem is basically just a written expression and as others have indicated there are no rules.

When I started writing poetry, I had a hard time figuring out how to write.  I found out the best thing to do is just write and to read others poetry.  The magical thing is that you will develop a style with time and you find out a lot about yourself. You may be able to express what you have never been able to express before.   

I have been on poetry sites which get quite critical.  All I want to do is just to write.  This is a good community to write

Here are few different types of peotry I write so you can get an exposure to different types of peotry.  (This is not a complete list of different types of poetry)

Rhyme:

I tell you bob
    and I must say
    corn on the cob
    tastes good that way.

With a little salt
    and butter, it's swell
    I dont know what its calt
    but its good I hear tell.

Meter without a rhyme:

Spring's remembrance
    is of flowers,
    rain and the sun
    as we embrace.

Summer is full
    of warm dry air.
    Heat is tempered
    by the wind which
    blows love's intent
    into our hearts.

Meter with a Rhyme:

Atop the ole mount with a clean cool snow
    which spreads its cover to the tree's delight,
    the wind makes ice as they dance in their show.
    The yews playfulness grasps my childhood yen.

Poetry can show great emotion:

Bloated skies with black clouds
    simmer in the sweltering heat.
    The rain never comes
    to wash the sweat from my face.
    Taste is of earth and salt.
    My eyes blur as they burn
    with the sting that feels so good.

I wipe my brow and I smile
    harder than I have ever smiled
    in my whole life.
    The brown weed blows in the wind.
    Fire burns as I throw a match and seer
    my dry throat with the first puff
    of a mixture sent by demons
    to even my state........

Poetry can be used to paint:

A shore smeared with the moon
    hears an echo of a cricket
    as love abounds on warm
    sand that surrounds our feet
    while our hearts feel the breeze
    as we kiss...........

Good job keep writing.

Cheers,

Ben

7. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Love the first two lines of the first poem, and the humorous way it's all written.

The second poem is too choppy for me to get interested in...

8. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I have written some poetry also, but have no idea what I'm doing.  lol   I did like the first one, but couldn't get interested in the second - probably for the reason China Man said, it kinda reads like its rap.

sorry I couldn't help.  sad

9. Hokey profile image62
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I like them both. Original and very spontaneous sounding. The second one does sound like a rap. Total street style. If you are new to this keep writing. You will only get better as you figure things out.

10. cupid51 profile image67
    cupid51posted 14 years ago

I am also an ESL writer and try to write poems. I can't comment on your poems as a judge. But I can tell you that I loved both the poems. Why don't you write those in hubs?

11. profile image0
    blake4dposted 14 years ago

I really liked the untitled one...

Dead man walking
    Free man joggin'
    (That made me LOL all by myself, the visual I got was perfect.)
    Here's my advice...
    Never listen to anybody who writes 'Poetry' when they start telling you how to write poetry. Including me.

12. Nikkij504gurl profile image66
    Nikkij504gurlposted 14 years ago

they were good i liked em. and blake4d is right. poetry is about how you feel, what you think. sometimes only the poet knows the true meaning of the poem.

13. Sunshiney31 profile image67
    Sunshiney31posted 14 years ago

Very good I really like them keep it up!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)