Upgrading to Windows XP

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. yadvendra profile image58
    yadvendraposted 14 years ago

You can upgrade a computer that runs Windows 98, 98SE, or Me to Windows XP Home Edition. Those same versions, along with Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and Windows 2000 Professional, can be upgraded to Windows XP Professional.

(1).To ensure a smooth upgrade and avoid networking problems, follow these tips before starting the upgrade:

(2)Install all network cards. XP will detect them and automatically install the right drivers.

(3)Have your Internet connection available. The XP setup process will connect to a Microsoft server to download the latest setup files, including changes that have been made since XP was released.

Some programs are incompatible with XP and can cause networking problems. Un-install these programs. After the upgrade is complete and the network is working, re-install XP-compatible versions of these programs: Internet Connection Sharing, NAT, Proxy Server Anti-Virus Firewall.

1. Padrino profile image61
      Padrinoposted 14 years ago

You might be a couple of operating systems behind.

1. mythbuster profile image71
        mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've heard that a lot of people from countries not considered wealthy are using older donated machines, a lot of old software, etc.

Where I'm from a lot of low-income individuals are using win98, XP and stuff definitely from before Vista as their first computers and software because they cannot afford big, shiny, new machines and brand new software.

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The problem with upgrades is often the hardware. I retire my computers by giving them to charity. I install whichever operating system the hardware can deal with. I used to use win 95 sp2 with the internet pack for years when it was supported because of its small size and lower reliance on memory. I now use XP for such tasks, because it is the last supported version. It still uses too much space though.

The problem with newer operating systems is the lazy way it is written.
          The idea seems to be write more crap code, it doesn't matter the computer has enough space for it!

1. mythbuster profile image71
            mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've heard bits and details elsewhere - about your last points before, earnestshub - about the software using up tons of space just 'cos hardware nowadays can facilitate extra but needless code. Thanks for confirming 'cos I'm not too computer savvy. (Thought maybe the computer sales guy just wanted me to buy more stuff lol).

I have been thinking about getting away from windows and switching to a linux distro. Apparently linux software is often really tidy and takes up little space. Have you worked/used linux much, earnestshub?

I've got ubuntu installed - dual boot 2OS on my system but haven't been diligent about booting in linux 'cos it's a pretty new thing for me.

PLUS........ TONS of games on the linux install disk...man if I start checkin' those out, I'll never get any writing done lol

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Padrino, maybe - but upgrading to XP can still come in handy.  One of my sons needed a computer because his was gone, so his father upgraded one his spares for our son.  It did the job for him (still does at times) until he got a new laptop.  smile  This was when Vista was brand new, and word was out that upgrading to Vista could be a problem.  My son's software-designer/engineer father is still using his own with XP.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Yeah, Vista was brand new then - and now Windows 7 is not exactly new already - so looks like Padrino is right on the money smile

3. profile image0
      khmohsinposted 14 years ago

I really appreciate your effort in writing the steps, but I think upgrading to XP is really out-dated.
      I also use XP on one of my PCs but I will prefer a fresh install instead, because upgrades often make systems heavy and slow.

4. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

I have not seen a Win XP upgrade in a while...I have seen many Vista downgrades to Win XP though smile

5. Dense profile image60
      Denseposted 13 years ago

I held off upgrading my main OS to XP until 2007.
      And at the moment, I am still on XP coz I really hate that ever growing WinSXS folder (in Vista and Win7).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)