South Park & Censorship

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (49 posts)
  1. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

So I finally downloaded the South Park episode from this past Wednesday last night, and was disappointed to see that a LOT was bleeped out. I'm talking about the usual 1-minute monologue ("I've learned something this week") at the end, and any mention of Mohammad's name or his image.

Note, the image was not offensive like the Danish cartoons - no bombs, no depictions of him being a terrorist - but apparently some illiterate nutjobs in Queens (who are disavowed by every other mainstream Muslim organization) made a bunch of threats of violence against the show's creators. The show's creators wanted the show to be uncensored, and when it wasn't shown on SouthParkStudios.com, they posted a note expressing disappointment in Comedy Central/Viacom.

What do you all think? I support the show and believe this is a disappointing caving into the demands of bullies, and now we're going to see more and more groups demanding that something they deem offensive not be shown, or else they'll threaten with violence.

A depressingly bad precedent.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"this is a disappointing caving into the demands of bullies,"
      Agreed.

At the same time, though, it's not me or my family that was going to be bombed. I'd like to imagine that if I had such a decision to make, that I would not cave in to the demands of bullies (which is exactly what terrorists are, only on a more deadly scale), but I have a lovely wife and two beautiful young sons. I'd need to feel pretty confident that they'd be 1) not blown up and 2) taken care of after I got blown up (if I was).

I'm sad that the bullies got rewarded for their anti-social behavior, but I can't really look down on the folks at Viacom.

1. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If we're too afraid to stand up against violence, then we'd better get used to the idea of living in an Islamic Republic.  The whole reason fundamentalist Islamics use violence is because they know if we fear them enough, we'll sit down and be silent.  If we stop talking and debating, we lose.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Debate" to an Islamic fundamentalist is spelled m-u-r-d-e-r.
          I think you'd lose that debate in a hurry unless your guns and ammo were ready, aimed and cocked.

I'm not sure many of us are willing to be martyrs for the cause. I think that's what Jeff is saying, and I would agree. I don't intend to be sacrificial lamb, nor allow any of my family the same. That's all.

What can I say, I'm ornery.  I'd do to the fundamentalists what South Park deliberately did to the censors at the MPAA.  When their movie was sent back, they made it twice as offensive. 

Daniel, Islam is much like other religions that claim to know Truth.  They tend to be a bit more fanatical about it because they claim God spoke to the Prophet and his words were God's words.  All that belief is, is an attempt to discredit Christianity.   It was well known at the time the sorts of schisms Christianity was going through, the heresies, etc. and the founders of Islam wanted to avoid that.  They didn't, but that's another discussion.

Actually I'd say people are people.  It's the fundamentalists who are the problem, not believers in general.  Of course Islam has to go through something like Judaism did with their Rabbi's or Christianity did with the Enlightenment, but that's up to the believers as to how and when that is going to happen.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
              Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not really, Christianity needs no help to discredit itself. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Debates like your god can beat up their god? wink

2. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I disagree with you somewhat.

The creators of the show wanted the episode to air uncensored, so clearly they were willing to take on that risk. AFAIK they were the only specifically-mentioned targets; the rest was the usual "and everyone else even remotely associated with this show."

Viacom might want to consider getting out of the comedy entertainment business. Offending people is part and parcel of a type of comedy, one that South Park and Comedy Central have been trading in since their inception. There is PLENTY I've seen on Comedy Central that I can easily imagine offending people.

Now anyone who might be offended by something and is too dumb to just switch the channel can make some violent threats on Twitter, no matter how small and illegitimate a group they are, and expect to have the offending show scuppered.

Oh, yes, absolutely. I hope, if I were in that position, I'd be brave enough to risk getting blown up and air the stuff anyway.

But I've never been in that position. How would I react if I were threatened with having my home bombed over something I wrote here? Take it down? Leave it up and risk my life and my family's? I dunno. I hope I'd be brave enough to leave it up. But until I'm tested, I'll never know.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been watching the show since I was a teenager.  My personal favorite episode is when they make god and alien taco. lol -still cracks me up to think about.

I think the whole thing is absolutely ridiculous but here is what gets me, why aren't the people that made the threat aren't being detained?

Can't Matt and Trey press charges?  What would happen if they did?

They'll probably release an uncensored version to the Internet.  I'm curious to see if the uncensored version will wind up on southparkstudios.com.  I'm not sure if they run that or their distributor.  I think they might, if that's the case we'll see it on there.

Sorry but my favorite episode is "Make Love, not Warcraft".

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103797

1. profile image0

OMG!  I totally forgot about that one.  That is also one of my favorites~! Good call.  big_smile

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The post was made anonymously to a blogsite.  Who would they sue?

1. profile image0

The website maybe?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Possibly.  I have a gut feeling they'll get back at them via the show.  They're pretty clever when it comes to outwitting censors.  They are both huge fans of Monty Python; masters of the art.

1. profile image0

Excellent. big_smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
                Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The writers seem to be saying just that for those who know how to read carefully.   It's on the Comedy Central site, here:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/3878

3. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A funny element about the censorship of certain elements of the show indicate a reverse effect in play.  By demanding censorship of certain parts is control being displayed to prevent people from putting Islam in a bad light.  Funny how the process backfires when people judge them to be worse because of it.

Yes. It was more ironic with the Danish cartoonist a few years back.  I mean, a guy writes a cartoon that portrays Islam as a violent religion.

This was so upsetting to many Muslims that they trashed embassies and started riots that ended up in death and destruction in several places around the world.

I guess they proved that cartoonist wrong!

2. Beelzedad profile image59
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

Islam is a religion of peace. Muslims wouldn't dare to make threats of violence lest they be shown to be hypocrites. smile

3. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 13 years ago

Disgusting.  Just goes to prove Mao's so charming dictum "Kill one to terrify ten thousand".

4. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e20133ece4af8f970b-550wi

This is another occasion to wish for a "Like" button.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

May 20th? I'm there. I'm going to spread this through facebook - hope you don't mind me stealing the image.

3. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ca-ca - don't know how it's spelt but that is how it is pronounced, is Spanish for sh*t.
      When I was in hospital, before I learnt how to speak Spanish, the nurses used to ask every day "Ca-ca hoy?"
      I didn't know what they meant - knew 'hoy' meant today, but because everyone else the ward answered 'si', I did too.
      Man I was there two weeks and ended up constipated as Hell!! big_smile

5. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 13 years ago

I love it.

6. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

This is why we have secret service and special forces.  They need to track those guys who made those actual threats and arrest them (or accidentally kill them). 

I think it's sad that we are going to let terrorists silence our artists.  The military of a nation is supposed to defend its artists.  Both must be strong. Art is the voice of freedom. The fist must fight for the voice or we might as well just all convert to Islam now.

7. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

If we allow anyone to take away our freedom of speech, they will try to completely control us. Anyone who gets insulted over a cartoon and thinks it is an agenda has a real problem within himself.

8. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Free speech?  Southpark is just a show that parodies life events.  The funny part is that people would get so upset over a cartoon that airs on paid cable TV.

There are people in this world that simply have no sense of humor.

Jesus and Buddha both made an appearance in this episode and I was not offended.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60

you forgot the best part:

Randy's quote : "Stan, Jesus doesn't matter when Mohammad is involved."

and the scenes of Buddha snorting coke.

And in earlier episodes Jesus took a deuce on George Bush.

The recent "200" and "201" episodes were fantastic - they showed the ultimate paradox of giving in to terrorists. One terrorist group (the muslims of the real world) was demanding that Mohammad be hidden, and the others (the celebrities and the gingers) were demanding that he be shown.

Brilliant stuff.

9. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

I liked the one where the kids were following a cult. One of them (Stan I think) went to get Jesus to help them. When Jesus saw the power the leader had, he says "JESUS Christ!!!!".

1. profile image0

What about the one where Satan and Sadaam are bed buddies in hell. lol  And Satan is totally submissive.

That was the movie.  Where South Park was going to bomb Canada.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59

I think Satan and Saddam have appeared in the series as well.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60

yes they have - Satan has a boyfriend named Chris (i think) and he's a total weenie. Then saddam repeatedly stabs him in the head and kills him... but he keeps showing up back in hell.

10. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

For an interesting look at a similar conversation, check out:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/41481?page=2

11. Beebeebobbletop profile image60
    Beebeebobbletopposted 13 years ago

lol

12. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

Trashing a person's identity whether it is a sexual identity, an ethnic identity or a religious identity is just plain wrong.

Exploring the faults and hypocrisies in an ideology or religion in an intelligent and illuminating way is a different matter.

Which approach would South Park have used?

They would have explored the faults and hypocrisy in the same irreverent, satirical way they have explored lots of other hypocrisy.

The reaction from this terrorist group only strengthens distrust of the religion and, depending on the message of the cartoon, probably proves the points they were going to make in much the same fashion the violence that followed the Danish cartoon brought.

We're probably seeing the increasing manifestations of a real culture war as those who believe in freedom of speech become more incensed at violent and deadly reactions to cartoons. Which, ironically, is what the terrorist want, so they are actually "winning" even though they are "losing" in this sort of double irony thing.

If their goal is to bring down civility and mutual respect so that chaos reigns, prosperity is lost and the power of religion can be restored to the clergy who lose influence and power every day that people think for themselves, then they are making strides towards that goal.

Their allies, willing and unwilling, will be trapped into defending the "respect my religion and don't draw cartoons" argument, which is on the surface a reasonable request, but ultimately means "adhere to the laws of my religion" which is akin to a type of conversion that people outside of it, and especially those who believe in freedom, just aren't going to buy.  Period.

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you completely.

I'm not sure this "Revolution Muslim" group is a terrorist group thinking strategically, and exploiting discord between non-Muslims and Muslims. I think they're just a group that believe attention, negative or not, makes them feel empowered, and by having their absurd demands given into, they should be. Unfortunately.

BTW, images of Mohammad by Muslims  are not new.

13. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Is sarcasm and satire haram in Islam and Christianity ?

14. Will Apse profile image88

Leave the criticism of Islam to Muslims they actually understand the subject.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you take the same attitude toward other religions? Non-Christians shouldn't criticize Christianity? Buddhists, Jews, etc.?

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do, I may take issue on practical matters but not on faith.

15. Will Apse profile image88

Evan H Roberts- I would have more respect for you if you stood outside your local church with an image of Jesus enjoying the pleasures of a whore house. It would take more courage (but no less insensitivity).

16. Falsor Wing profile image60
    Falsor Wingposted 13 years ago

Matt stone and trey Parker are full of win, most likely their next season will be even better and mock them all the more. I;m not happy with the censorship but not even a little supprised.

17. Falsor Wing profile image60
    Falsor Wingposted 13 years ago

You know what I just realized? This thread is fairly political and as far as internet politics and religion threads go this is probably the most reasonable discussion of the topic in question I have heard. This gives me hope. we may be fractious but when somebody fucks with our foul mouthed fourth grader cartoons we'll really close close ranks.

PS anonymous threateners: every comedian secretly loves a heckler, your hatred and general douche-baggery only makes us stronger.

Yep!

18. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Idiots run this world and that's why it's going down the drain, get rid of one good show like South Park, then they all go, by fools who think they are the absolute voice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)