How Do You...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (49 posts)
  1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

Any Hubbers willing to help me out with some brainstorming? You're standing before a potentially violent political conflict (insert your own imagination here)...you must get the message to people that they've got to lay down their weapons and be at peace. What do you do? Say?

All thoughts are welcome, humor would be appreciated (although this is serious research).

Thanks in advance, guys!

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's easy!  You walk out there with a suit on.  You know, real professional looking man.  You remove your jacket and publicly display a bra.  That might just be a good ice breaker and it would appeal to those of alternate lifestyles.

2. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Hey, guys! Everybody come on over to my house for chocolate chip cookies and milk!  Last one there's a _______________!" (you fill in the blank, I'm too tired to remember what we used to say.)

3. Arthur Fontes profile image73
      Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Drive by with a real gnarly Ice Cream truck with a real cool audio system.

Nobody can resist the ice cream man.

When everyone is eating their ice cream try to find common ground.

"See we all agree ice cream is good"

LOL

2. DevLin profile image60
    DevLinposted 13 years ago

I tell liberals they're acting like christians, and christians are acting like communists. doesn't work all the time.

3. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

You need to make a great speech.  Be Cicero.  Use Aristotelian rhetorical strategies.

You have to perform a speech that does a few things in sequence:

1. You have to prove you understand their needs/desires/trouble
    2. You have to establish ethos as someone worthy of listening to as you speak/perform your appeal.
    3. You have to take your understanding of their needs/troubles and bring down the emotional level through empathy that ebbs toward calm so logic and reason can begin.
    4. Create a syllogistic argument or enthymeme to illustrate a major problem resulting from conflict.
    5. Restate the enthymeme as a metaphor (4 and 5 can be flip-flopped)
    6. Appeal to new emotion based on reasonable/moral foundation you have made.
    7. Restate benefit of new action with a call to action (laying down arms, one more set of talks... etc).

Not sure this helps, but that's what came to mind when I read your OP.

TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is extremely helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Use Aristotelian rhetorical strategies."

So, how many times are you planning on referencing Aristotle? You recently read a book about him and are now going out of your way to try and work it into every and any topic, right? roll

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sort of.  I read it all the time. I have a few that I go back to religiously.  I write for a marketing company and I have a handful of texts that I go back to repeatedly and he's my favorite by far.  There's so much pop-advice out there, it's good to have something solid to hold on to.  The Rhetoric of Aristotle is like a Bible that you can pop open to certain parts to really help focus a point.

It's nice to see you are still bitter and trying to pick a fight with me, though.  Hanging on my every word, hoping for a shot.  Poor, angry little troll.

1. Sab Oh profile image56

Can't express yourself without resorting to childish insults?

Nope.

Your posts make me feel like doing this at you:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1246/975933338_1802ef6d9d.jpg

And in a thread about promoting peace too. How ironic. wink

Technically, that post and picture was doing just what your OP is about, the way I see it.  A diffusing measure.  smile

"I do not bite my thumb AT YOU, sir...but I DO bite my thumb, sir." LOL wink

4. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

Demonstrate superior force that you are prepared to use, then demonstrate the willingness to negotiate.

That only works if you have superior force.  Sometimes you just have to make a moral or logical appeal based on one or more key elements of human motivation (Aristotle lists pretty much all of them).

If you don't have superior force then you exist at another's favor.

All too often that seems to be the reality. But, call me naive, perhaps we can do better than that (as a species)?

The playing field needs to be leveled so that humans can co-exist together on reasonable terms. People should not have to exist at another person's favor/whim.

Thank you for your response. It is something to think about.

", call me naive, perhaps we can do better than that (as a species)?"

We can't, and we never will.

Goodness, that's depressing. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Or is there some reason in particular that you think this?

I don't find reality depressing.

2. JWestCattle profile image60
            JWestCattleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

You have CLEARLY not read Aristotle's rhetoric. To "manipulate" is to be a sophist, against which Plato fought vehemently and the skill-set thing Aristotle endorsed with moral caveat.  The WHOLE point of Aristotelian rhetoric was the  persuit of Plantonic ideals within the context of reality.  Aristotle's whole point was to identify and isolate the numerous motivators behind human behavoir and to apply the performance structure of the sophists to the persuit of good.

If you think that is stupid, well, um... read more or something.

1. JWestCattle profile image60

Actually, I didn't let the post...post, I realized there was more that I needed to explore, and now you've provided direction for me, and I appreciate it, and am glad my instincts, rather than my impulses, were correct.

No worries. smile  I probably came down harder than I should have anyway.  The beers are flowing pretty freely this evening.

I sort of worship at the altar of the ancient Greeks, so, forgive me for being zealous.  But, well, they just got it so, so deeply.  I kinda go crazy watching our society having these "debates" about things... war, religion, gay marriage, death penatly... u name it, and it's all been debated already. 2500 years ago, and, people get so angry and perplexed that injustice is, etc.

It's this animal we are.  It's human-ness.  The essence of the great democracy that spawned the rest was the ability, the DUTY to speak, to communicate.  They wrote great treatise on the art.  The sophists giving charlatan classes to teach exactly what you suggested, the skills of speech to use to push buttons and manipulate to win (Much like modern lawyers use..... WIN the case, truth and justice having nothing to do with it... etc.)  But Aristotle's point was not to disprove Plato's idealistic "silliness" but to say that, you can use the sophist powers of amazing speech giving to make moral points.  If your enemy has a sword and you have only a stick, it behooves you to get a sword to fight for good.

3. profile image0
            Madame Xposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal."

Ouch. Remind me never to piss you off! wink

2. Shadesbreath profile image78

That is true.  However, great rhetoric can turn the "other" into "yours."

5. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Allllll righty then. Thanks for the thoughtful responses. smile

6. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

As you can see - it depend on who you are talking to.

SabOh believes in 'superior force' - to get him to put down his gun, you need to have a tank or bazooka.

The only time you will find me (ouside a shooting range or my home) with a gun is in defense of my neighborhood. To get me to  relent, you would have to convince me there is no threat.

For any person willing to use a weapon, there is a different motivation - if you are dealing with a neanderthal, you can only reason with superior force. If they respond to an ethic, you have to appeal to that ethic.

You only prove the case for the RIGHT rhetoric.  As you say, YOU could be dissuaded from violence if she could prove there was no threat.

The neanderthal has a different set of needs.  Her rhetoric would have to be different from that she used on you.  She would have to know what the neanderthals were afraid of losing.  Food resources?  Mating opportunities? Security for family?  Power and influence in the region (a level up on the previous ones really). 

Frankly, no offense, but these are exactly what motivates YOU, what you call a "threat."  So, the only difference between convincing you that there is no threat and convincing neanderthals that there isn't one is in the choice of language and method of delivery, the style or the performance of the oratory.  As Goldenpath suggested, there are ways of getting attention with any crowd. You just have to "speak their language" in a way that goes beyond understanding what their words/spelling means. The right "voice," the right "ethos," and a good, stylistic performance of them to get the enthymeme across.

1. JWestCattle profile image60

Enthymeme: noun Logic A syllogism in which one of the premises or the conclusion is not stated explicitly.

'EnThuMeem' (pronunciation) -

The informal method of reasoning typical of rhetorical discourse. The enthymeme is sometimes defined as a "truncated syllogism" since either the major or minor premise found in that more formal method of reasoning is left implied. The enthymeme typically occurs as a conclusion coupled with a reason. When several enthymemes are linked together, this becomes sorites.

Example:

We cannot trust this man, for he has perjured himself in the past.
        In this enthymeme, the major premise of the complete syllogism is missing:

* Those who perjure themselves cannot be trusted. (Major premise - omitted)
            * This man has perjured himself in the past. (Minor premise - stated)
            * This man is not to be trusted. (Conclusion - stated)

A figure of speech which bases a conclusion on the truth of its contrary.

Example:

If to be foolish is evil, then it is virtuous to be wise.
            This also an example of chiasmus

7. profile image0
    Justine76posted 13 years ago

riot guns.  smile

8. TheGlassSpider profile image64

@Doug: Thank you...more to think about smile

@Justine: Unfortunately, that is not an option. A violent victory in the name of peace is no victory at all. Besides...riot guns simply aren't available. wink

9. JON EWALL profile image60
    JON EWALLposted 13 years ago

hubbers / Harvey Stelman
    Because it's a story of how Chicago handles political strive,I will tell the story.
    The 1952 democrat convention was held in Chicago. Radical groups were protesting on Michigan boulevard. Mayor Daley ( the present mayor's father) called for calm and peaceful protests by the radicals.So the story goes,the protesters ignored the mayor's request. The Chicago police was dispatched and force was inflicted on the protesters.The local papers showed pictures of many of the beaten participants.

Chicago police are the best in the nation when it comes to peaceful demonstrations.I can't remember the last time the democrats held their convention in Chicago.

Harvey Stelman  probably would remember.

10. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Simple roll

hire strippers

have the poles brought in

when last piece of tiny ditty bitty piece of clothing is being removed by the

Pamela Anderson look like rippers

just peacefully gather their weapons and offer a lap dance while you leave

guaranteed success  big_smile

Your welcome  big_smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/1947700_f520.jpg

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Best idea so far because it works on neanderthals and liberals.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
        Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah except when they are done the liberals will make them share their tips with the ugly strippers.

1. profile image0
          poetlorraineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow this is a bit deep...

2. Doug Hughes profile image61

No I see no reason why the liberal strippers should have to share with teabagger strippers.

2. N. Ramius profile image72
        N. Ramiusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But won't work on religious puritans. You could calm one group and start another riot.

1. Doug Hughes profile image61

Religous Puritains would *claim* to be against it, but they would be in the front row with dollar bills between their teeth, trying to entice the dancers...

LOL it would be a huge scandal! LOL

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64

LOL Kim, this might be the best idea we've got going!!

11. profile image0

lol  lol  lol

12. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

http://davidhburton.com/author/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mona-lisa-picking-nose.jpg

1. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that helps the Spider with her brainstorming.....good answer....

13. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

make a natural disaster, you know flood, earthquake, tornado, volcano etc.  everybody stops fighting to dig out and clean up

That's an excellent idea. If it were a story, that's the way I would go probably.

14. profile image0

tic tac anyone?

sorry for the interruption

big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)