Anyone up for another "instant hub challenge?"

Jump to Last Post 51-66 of 66 discussions (160 posts)
  1. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Mythbuster, give your kitty extra hugs.  One of mine is dying from kidney failure now and I'm heartbroken.  She's been with me over 18 years...  I can't imagine my life without my girl.  So, hold him tight, okay?

1. mythbuster profile image72
      mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*ouch* must be a tough thing to go through, wordscribe41. I will definitely send out positive thoughts forya! Your pet might have to go soon but you'll have to manage, so I'll send out the positive stuff to you (not her), if that's alright...

I treat my cat special a lot - 'cos he's a rescue cat and each time I mess up, I really find out about it from him...it just makes me extra careful that I do treat him well. I get your message - and I won't take him for granted...

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Know what you're going through. My sincerest..

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've lost two really great cats to that.  I'm not even a cat person.  Frankly, I hate cats, except that the ones my wife keeps getting are awesome and sweet and hilarious and totally screw up my ability to hate them, but I maintain that I do because it would be undignified for a dog person like me to admit how cool cats are.  I would share the poem I wrote after the last one died, but then you guys would forget how crude and masculine I am, so, yeah, never going to happen. lol.

I hate it when cats don't let ya hate 'em!

Happened with my rescue kitty, too - he wasn't supposed to be 'mine' but I kept him a few days while a friend was preparing her home for him... when she returned, she said, in tears, "OMG I can't take him NOW... lookit him - how he loves and trusts you!"

*sigh* darned sweetface, he was/is!

Just prior to this, I was definitely not keen on cats and preferred dogs.

2. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's a crappy disease.  I'm a dog AND cat lover, Shades.  You can be both, you know.  I have a cat that's like a dog, though.  she's bad a$$.  I'm ready for the poem now, oh manly man.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

LOL, I knew you'd ask.  Her name was Princess:

Dear Princess,

Thank you for giving our family something to love.
          Thank you for being soft and warm.
          Thank you for the laughs you brought.
          And even thank you for the tears.
          I hope there is a kitty heaven
          And that you are up there having fun.
          We will miss you.

Love,
          Us

1. profile image0

Did you bring any Kleenex?  Needing it about right now.  Gotta go hug my kitty now.  Thanks for that, Shades.  I like how you said "and even thanks for the tears."

Awww, that's so -crude and masculine.

Cat lovers are good people.

2. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 14 years ago

This was so much fun. Thanks Shadesbreath. 

Was there a previous 30 min challenge? Can we read that stuff too? I need a link to find it.

Yeah, I did this a while back. Gimme a second and I'll find it. 

You can actually figure out who did it if you find my Lowe's Customer Service hub and then click on the first few people who responded.  LOL.  It was us.

but, gimme a sec, and I'll try to find the forum thread.

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Well, fortunately, due to an incredible lack of creativity on my part, it's here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/39875

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear Wordscribe. sad

5. Cagsil profile image71

So, are we coming back next week? wink

I will !

1. profile image0

I will, too.  Night all. smile

Nite wordscribe41

I will. Great fun, and scored a hub. (finally)

6. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Well folks, been fun, gotta run.

I bow at the feet of each and every one of you for your superior creativity, originality, wisdom, and grace under pressure, but most of all for your speed!

Thanks alot Shades for the great idea. 'Nite all.

Nite PB - have a good rest...thx for sharing some time here - it was fun and interesting!

7. Cagsil profile image71

Good night Pandora. smile

8. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I would like to get all of you to conspire against Rochelle to play next time.  If you check the link I put up for the last one, you will see that BOTH times I've done this, she was there, but pussed out.

Normally I would say, Well, this is tough, not everyone would be able to... etc.

But this is ROCHELLE FRANK... read her stuff.  It's like, dude, really, you have THAT kind of wit, but you can't crank out a hub in a half hour?  It's not even a weekly thing.  It's more like once a month.

So, yeah, give her crap.  She deserves it.  smile

For the rest of y'all.  Thanks a ton for playing.  Great fun, and, nice work.

Have net, will pester!

Will get on this to Rochelle Frank over the next week.

9. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

My hub turned out to be EXACTLY 900 words, which I think is pretty cool.  cool

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mine was 797 words. cool

10. Cagsil profile image71

Okay, I guess next Friday it is...Rochelle included.

However, maybe we should pick a different time???

Not sure time zone issues or crossover? wink

1. Pandoras Box profile image60

Well I'm on the east coast, so as long as we start by 12:00ish or so my time I'm okay. I just will have to bail a bit quicker than I did tonite.

Okay, bailing...

Good night Pandora big_smile

Edit: do check back for the time? smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

This is the sort of thing that works best a spontaneous outing.  If it is scheduled, people will plan for it, even subconsciously.

I think it works best to be as regular as the inspiration is irregular... meaning, no schedule.

Both times, so far, have gone very well for being totally random.  I think that's the appeal.  You make something like this a pattern, it loses its appeal.

I could be wrong.  Just tossing it out there.  All I know is that when I first had this idea, it went well, and  you'd think I'd be jacked to do it all the time, but in reality, it takes a certain mood, a moment, ... etc.

If it becomes predictable, like everything else on hubpages, then the number-crunchers and strategists will find a way to prepare and maximize ... and it becomes nothing.

Okay. No problem. smile

I'm not saying y'all shouldn't fire one up.  Just don't plan it.

Maybe you should... dunno.  The idea is now out there.  See where it goes.  lol

2. profile image0
        Audreveaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Makes sense. If people want something regular, there's always the Hubmob topic. That happens every week.

Exactly.

My hub just jumped 2 hub points lol.  We're dominating the boards!!!!

And that surprises you why? lol

3. mythbuster profile image72

I understand the ideas here, too, about trying to have "off the top" and unplanned writing times and such.

Either way - this is something I'll participate in again.

11. Cagsil profile image71

I try not to plan my hubs. It usually does not work out. I always write hubs when I am in the mood to write. I have unpublished hubs, but those are varying degrees of each other.

Kind of like one huge thought, not completely thought out to the fullest. lol

I do too, Cags.  I have 27 unpublished hubs, lol.  I've thought about that a lot.  Roughly 50% again what I have published.  I keep telling myself to put them up.  But I don't.

I think, honestly, that is the point of the hub I wrote tonight.  You have to care about the reader.  Maybe those hubs are funny (since that's what I try to do, amuse), but, I don't think they're funny enough.  Maybe they are.  I've certainly read stuff on HP that gets accolades for being "hilarious" that I just don't see.

But, I don't think they're funny enough.  So, I don't hit publish (don't paste them in).  I think that matters.  Probably dumb as far as money making goes.  But, well, I guess I'll never be rich. (sigh).

At least Thalia loves me.

I have written entire hubs and deleted them right after typing. I believe in be honest, to a fault. At times, I can be so honest, it gets me into trouble. The caring part is something that is ingrained into my being now.

I read once (and it kills me I can't remember who the author was who said it): the writer's best friend is his garbage can.

That is so true.

That I wouldn't doubt. lol

1. profile image0
              Audreveaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wrote this whole long article about a recent Twitter 'scandal' (which is very interesting from a new media perspective) and it's still sitting in my unpublished with a hubscore of nearly 80 already.

I just felt like I was kicking someone when they're already down by writing it.  That's the thing, what you publish has power - it's not the same as a chat between friends.  Trying hard to be a force for good while still making some money.

I know, I have a few of my own. They are not finished, not for the same reason.
                I'll agree, there can be power in words, sentences and many other things, that can influence people. Many of the topics I have chosen pertain to life, and not just from living and experience, but research. I am not a well-educated person, but I am self-taught in many areas. I do not attack topics, but rather show things for what they are.

I've come to realize that there are simply too many different illusions and/or misconceptions being perpetuated onto people.

Many are destroying humanity as a whole, very slowly. So, subtle, that not many see it. smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

Have you ever seen the movie "Biloxi Blues" with Mathew Broderick?

It's a great movie, extremely well acted, and that has, at it's heart, the nature of writing versus the nature of human experience.

Anyone see it? It's kind of old now, but, ... yeah.

I know the movie and yes I have seen it. Don't recall it right this second(meaning everything that happened in it). But, do remember it. lol

12. Cagsil profile image71

But, it was fun to do this tonight. Thank you very much Shades. smile

13. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Well damn. I missed it. :-( I will have to read what everyone did.

14. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Dominating the boards - no kidding
    I got hit with an instant flood!!! lol

Way to go guys, I had a lot of reading to do what with the flurry of hubs tonight.
    wink

Hey wyanjen, did I miss something? Did you participate, too?

(k, I know I stepped out to the store for a few minutes, but maybe I'm just SLOW, too)

1. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah.
        I was checking in on HP tonight, right at the end of your challenge, and my hubtivity EXPLODED with new hubs by all my buddies.

new hub...
        new hub...
        new hub...
        lol

I had to investigate, and so I found this thread. lol

Ah - *whew* I thought I wasn't payin' attention properly and that I missed checkin' out a 30min challenge hub!

15. Cagsil profile image71

Good night all. smile

16. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Anyone care to join? smile wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)