Time to change

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

I need to change almost everything about my life.  Basically get a new one. I've recently battled with drugs, smoking, depression, love, moving.  I have no job. I just moved from Mississippi to Corpus Christi, TX, and I'm about to move to San Antonio.  I'm lost.  Any suggestions?  I'll be 33 this month.  It's time for a change.  I need support, and I feel pathetic posting this in a forum.

1. K Partin profile image60
      K Partinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you have battled drugs, smoking, depression, love and moving and have succeeded, then what an accomplishment! The worst would be over as far as I can see, I congratulate you. Don't feel pathetic at all feel proud of yourself for what you have made it thru already! I support you, and things will get better. You'll see. I hope nothing but the best for you. smile

Fluffymetalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much!  smile

anytime! smile

2. K Partin profile image60

I have to go do my podcast now....so you better keep smiling and I'm very proud of you!! See you soon back on the forums! smile

smile

2. Buck Steiner profile image56
      Buck Steinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, things are looking up for you, tacos are cheap in San Antonio.

1. figment profile image76
        figmentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL smile

3. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, it's not pathetic. There are quite a few people here who are always ready to provide support - as you just saw.

I take it you don't have anybody to care about - this both simplifies and complicates the things. Just take your time to figure out your life. It does not come on the spot usually, it takes some time. Just let it. Trust in yourself, and in the power that guides you, whatever name you want to give it. smile

As soon as you are ready for opportunities, they will come - or rather opportunities are always here, we just need to get ready to see them. Get ready smile

smile

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 13 years ago

Changes are always good, even you can't see that right now.Go ahead and do your changes! smile

I'm just at "that" place, at the end of one road and the beginning of many  others. Choices scare me. Chaos scares me more.

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't be scared. Even if it looks like chaos, everything fits on place in the end.
        I had a lot of changes in my life,and all of them began with chaos. It's always that way.

tantrum is right, it always seems top work out in the end! And for the good too!! smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree the chances you take should be from your heart, not your head, you are free in a free land. Just go for it! smile

2. Fluffymetal profile image76

thanks tantrum.  You are so right.  I can't seem to keep chaos out of my life.  I feel it fading away and something else taking its place.  Mississippi was full of chaos.  I have none of that here in TX.

See a whole new beginning already! smile

2. tantrum profile image61

You'll be fine!
            As I always say :
            Relax & Enjoy ! lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Choices, changes and chaos scare all of us-- fear of the unknown is universal. The unknown is also the residence of opportunity and discovery.
        Keep your eyes open, your mind and heart partly open. There's certainly something good out there for you.

3. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Go to church.  God will help you find your way.

You are right.  I need to find my faith again.

You only have to find your faith in you.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. 

I'm glad to hear you took action.  You wrote a poem as I recall, that captured how trapped you felt where you were.  To me, it sounds like you are already taking action to remedy things.  You've already begun taking control.  Recognize your initiative and give yourself credit for it.

2. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ditto smile

2. ediggity profile image61
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then go do it.  You said it is time for change.  If you don't do it, you're not changing.

I will.  Thanks for support

3. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only faith you need IS in yourself. No church required! wink

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
          Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I second that. Don't be misled by your desire to live well and do good in your life.

Other than that, I'm proud of ya, for posting it and for wanting it.

4. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

big_smile
    Choices aren't scary, they're easy.
    Just trust your gut. It's never wrong!

I have a past of making the worst of choices -- part of what I need to change!  Thanks for support

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to say - don't feel pathetic about posting this. If nothing else, this is a good place to get things off your chest wink

I'm wondering if it really is change that you are looking for. With everything that you've gone through, maybe you just need some solid ground to stand on - to figure out exactly who you are and what you want to be doing.

When I got out of my marriage, and lost my house, I was completely terrified. I had nothing left except my job. But I got back on my feet just fine.
        You'll hear people say life turned out better after all the changes and chaos - and that sounds cliché but it's the truth.

Good luck with it all - you'll find a way through.

5. PackSecure profile image60
    PackSecureposted 13 years ago

My life has changed so much in the past 3 years, my head is still spinning.  Change can be good.  I am in a MUCH better place in my life now.

Take baby steps and make sure to remember to enjoy the present.  Don't just focus on the future.

Good Luck.

Mary

Thanks

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I guess what comes to my mind after reading your thread is that you're younger than you realize you are.  You have your whole life ahead of you, and it seems you're already planning to build the kind of life you want (or build yourself into the person you want to be).

Don't make the mistake a lot of people who have past their thirtieth birthday make, which is to feel as if "their story is all written".  These days, especially with drug-abuse as common as it is and with the economy what it is, it often takes people until they're in their early thirties to really "get on their feet" (emotionally, financially, etc.) - so keep in mind that you're a lot younger than you realize you are, and go into that new life with the new maturity you now have.    Good luck.  Stay strong.  Decide not to let anyone or anything else (past, present, or future) define who and what you are as a person.   smile

Take each choice you make one thing at a time.  Evaluate how, if at all, any one thing ever helps move you toward your aims (and toward something positive); and aim for the things/choices that go with your aims.  Keep in mind that even the smallest things can add up to making a big difference in the overall picture, so no wise choice is ever too small to have potential.

http://www.hemmy.net/images/animation/thankyou.jpg

7. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Hey fluffy, I think you answered your own question!  Here's my take on your situation:

You said you've made poor choices in the past, therefore, choices are scary.  You also said you don't like chaos.  Here's my answer based on what you've said:

Take it one step at a time, one day at a time.  Always remember, today is the first day of the rest of your life.  A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Combat the chaos and poor choices by organizing your thoughts in a daily journal, creating a list of pro's and con's before making a decision, and encourage yourself to take your time.  If you cant decide today, there's always tomorrow.

I also would like to say:  There is nothing pathetic about positive change. smile

1. figment profile image76
      figmentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes we need to stop talking and start listening.  smile

Yeah ! Just take care who are you listening to. I hope with all my heart that everything goes OK .  Believe only in yourself. You're the only one who will not let you down. Take care !

8. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Fluffy please do read my hub on recovery from addiction, I have been at the lowest of the lowest places, basically in the gutter and have bounced back.
    It is all about believing in yourself, taking one step at a time, and seeing something more for yourself at the end of the tunnel. xo

9. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

fluffymetal, I also wanted to applaud you for having the courage to seek support while considering major changes in your life.  You've got a good head on your shoulders, now all you need is to take your time and weigh your options before making choices and decisions.

(((hugs))) and good luck! smilesmile

10. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

Keep a positive attitude and change one thing at a time...things will get better...there is always a PA wine trail if you are ever in the area smile

11. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Fluffy, all change is good.  As said above, fear of change is universal and normal.  You're not pathetic, you're strong for asking for support and guidance.  It takes more courage to come from where you have and admit to the world who you are.  You're strong, and you already know that.

One day at a time.  One step at a time.  One decision at a time.  Take your time, there is never a rush.  Trust yourself.  Believe in yourself.  You will build your confidence within. 

Remind yourself everyday of one huge challenge that you have overcome.  And you will see that you have suceeded and you will continue to succeed.

For me, when chaos and confusion binds my mind, the Serenity Prayer does wonders.  smile  ((HUGS))

12. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 13 years ago

The change you speak of would be a *reinvention* of yourself. And thankfully, all humans are capable of this.

To start with, consider a new hobby to whittle away your idle time, as idle time often allows for one to slide back into old ways. Be certain it's a hobby that involves creating something, so you can relish in your newly found ability!

Next, schedule a date with yourself, at least once every week. Take yourself out to dinner, to a movie, to any place other than home. Being around people will help keep you from isolating, and you could meet new and exciting people in the process.

Look in the mirror every morning and tell yourself, 'Regardless of what I once might have been, I'm a great person today!'

Look in the mirror every night and tell yourself, 'I survived another day, so I know I can survive one more!'

These small changes will push you toward larger ones, allowing you to swing your life full circle to where you want to be. I know, as this was a course I once followed myself.

Above all, love yourself and worry not about what others think. So long as you determine your decisions and your motivations to be pure then others will see this in time and flock to be your friend.

And above all, don't look to support groups for your sole existence. While these groups are good and often recommended, you need to believe that the power to change comes from within. As such, depending on others to provide change for you will only wind up in failure.

You can do this. And how do I know this? Because you have already taken the first step by trying to see what you could do different to improve your life!

Now, go gettem! smile

Great advice...thanks

13. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I also recommend...look at one problem at a time rather than looking at everything all at once otherwise everything does seem overwhelming and anxiety, panic etc. sets in skewing our vision. As everyone has said, one step and one day at a time. smile

14. Fluffymetal profile image76

You have all been so helpful.  I thought this would be an empty forum.  Thank you for all the advice.  I may write a hub about such hubber support.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9645/300312ie5rkoiyz721xh8.gif

15. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 13 years ago

Fluffymetal, thanks for starting this thread.  It's time for me to change too, although I have not been through the things you have experienced.  The advice about taking one step at a time is exactly what I needed to hear.  You've helped me out tonight, and you should not feel pathetic at all.  Good luck in San Antonio!

16. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I hope life settls down for you soon!

Church is for those who need to misplace their fears, you have conquered them already, a much more enviable goal which is infinately harder to achieve.

You have done well so far, and by moving, changing, and learning in new environments, I am sure life will pick up for you soon!

17. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

Change, sounds to me as if you have already done a great deal of changing-love, drugs, moving etc. Because of all the change you have already taken on, maybe the next step is to breathe-and reflect on what you have experienced thus far. You have to take time to reflect on experiences in order to learn from them, and truly grow from them, as a person-then decide what's next based on what your wants & needs are as an individual. Surround yourself with positive thoughts & people, so you aren't packaging yourself or setting yourself up to fall.
    May I inquire your reasoning for all the moving?

i moved from ms to get away from old places, people, and things and to be closer to my family who all reside in TX.  My dad will be moving to San Antonio in June, and I will be moving with him.  He's in in recovery and recently divorced. I want to be there for him and vice versa.

18. Fluffymetal profile image76

I'm going to write a hub about your inspiring posts of change.  Thank you.  Anymore words of wisdom are welcome...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)