How to have a Shiny Pokémon in Pokémon X and Y
A shiny Greninja, Metagross and Charizard! So cool!
1. Hatching A Shiny Pokémon
They call it the MASUDA METHOD.
What is this Masuda Method? The Pokémon fans named it after the director of Game Freak, Junichi Masuda. It is when two pokémon from different countries were bred, the probability of hatching a shiny pokémon will be 6 * 1/8192 (standard encounter rate for catching a shiny pokémon) or 1/1365!
So how is it done??
STEP 1: Pick a Pokémon you want to have the shiny counterpart. For this sample, I will use a Dratini. Dratini can be found in Route 21 using a Good Rod.
STEP 2: How to have a Dratini that came from a different country? ANSWER: by Normal Trading or by the new mechanics in Pokémon X and Y, the Wonder Trade. In normal trading, you can trade with the Passersby in the PSS. Just look for players in different country and trade! While in Wonder Trade you will only have a little chance to get what you want since in this new trade mechanic a random pokémon will be traded for you. If you have a betterluck, then choose wonder trade in finding your pokémon.
STEP 3: Things needed before breeding (other than the pokémon):
- A Pokémon with Flame Body/Magma Armor (you can use Fletchinder/Talonflame, Magby/Magmar , Slugma/Magcargo and others)
- Hatching O-Power
- Lastly, a bike
STEP 4: Go to the Day Care Center at Route 7 and leave the two Dratinis. After 256 steps, go back to the day care and you will receive your egg! hooray! Repeat this and collect as many eggs as you can. It will be a very hard work but patience is a virtue! haha! Keep your collected eggs in your computer. You will need at least a thousand of the eggs and if you're lucky enough maybe a hundred is enough. After hoarding a lot of eggs proceed to step 5!
STEP 5: Put your pokémon with Flame Body/Magma Armor in your party. It will shorten the steps needed for an egg to hatch. The most suitable pokémon for this is Fletchinder/Talonflame since you will need Fly to go to the center of Lumiose City. From there you will use your bike to circumnavigate the eiffel tower-ish thing at the center. And don't forget to use your Hatching O-Powers to lessen the numbers of step needed to hatch the eggs. Very helpful thing! :)
STEP 6: Repeat steps 4-5 until you get your shiny pokémon! :) Repeat everything if you want to use other pokémon! :)
Not Even A Nibble....
2. Chain Fishing
LITERALLY CHAIN FISHING!!! But what is chain? What is Chaining?
Chaining - encountering same wild pokémon again and again in grass or flowerbeds and in a one spot if fishing.
Yeah Chain Fishing! Fishing in just one specific spot without breaking the chain. Easy to say but very hard to do. The chain can be broken by different things, like:
- Moving to a totally different spot.
- Pulling the rod too early / too slow.
- Failing to get a nibble (how to prevent this from happening?? read below!).
- Different pokémon showed up.
How to Prevent a "Not even a nibble..":
- Put a pokémon with Suction Cups ability in your lead spot in the party. It will make fishing a pokémon easier.
For a better understanding of the Chain Fishing, click the link below and watch the video.
Here is the link for the video about Chain Fishing :)
Which is the hottest shiny pokemon?
3. Chaining using the PokeRadar
This method is a bit frustrating, since there are many troubles that you need to avoid if you want to do this:
- You cannot use your skates and bike.
- You need a lot of Super Repel to decrease encounter rates (you will know why later)
- You cannot meet other pokémon than the first pokémon encountered because the chain will be broken.
This is very hassle thing to do but really worth it.
Ok! Let us begin Chaining(Tatum! haha just kidding)!
But wait what is this PokeRadar?
"The PokéRadar works largely the same as before. When you activate it, several areas of grass will shake. When you go to them, a Pokémon will appear. Defeat it and it will commence and continue a chain and more areas will shake. The more a patch of grass shakes, the rarer the Pokémon. If you continue the chain, there is a hidden bonus of the possibility of a shiny patch with the probability topping out at a chain of around 40." - Serebii.net
PokeRadar will be available after you defeat the Elite Four and the Champion Diantha. You just go to Lumiose City and enter Sycamore's Laboratory and speak to the scientist in the 2nd floor and he will give you the PokeRadar.
Things to remember in doing a chaining:
- PokeRadar (duh?!)
- Super Repels (a whole lot of them!)
- Patches of grass or flowerbed that is at least 5x5 in size
- Do not skate or use bike
- Once you use PokeRadar, you will see the grass shaking. Take note of how fast or slow it shook.,
- Do not go to a shaking grass that is located almost at the edge of the field because it will break your chain. Only go to the shaking grass that is 4 grass patches away, horizontally or vertically, from you.
- Reset your PokeRadar if you encounter a different pokémon.
- You will need a chain of 40 to find a shiny patch where your shiny pokémon is hiding. haha!
- LASTLY, DON'T FORGET TO CATCH THE SHINY POKÉMON ONCE YOU ENCOUNTERED IT!!!!
Carry a good luck charm!
When all else fails....
You did everything, but there are still no shiny Pokémon encounters?? The best thing to do is.....
BUY YOURSELF A LUCKY CHARM!!! A rabbit's foot, a four-leaf clover, feng shui, a buddha, a cat, etc.
You just need a luck. Don't stop searching the grass patches, the flower beds, the Friend Safari. EVERYTHING! Try to try until you find you your own shiny.
It takes at least 2000 pokémon encounters just to get a shiny pokémon. Good luck buddy! :)
- My Top 10 Favorite Fairy Tail Characters
Here are the list of my Top 10 Favorite Characters in Fairy Tail. It may be based on coolness, magic power, strength, on anything I guess.
- My Top 10 Generation VI Pokémon
Top 10 Pokémon from Kalos Region. These are my favorites and not all are based on power and stats. Some are based on Pokémon designs, their epicness and some for cuteness. Enjoy!