jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you do any kind of brain training exercises to sharpen your mind?

1. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Do you do any kind of brain training exercises to sharpen your mind?

I know as we age, and even before, it's a good idea to exercise the brain regularly by challenging it with new activities, learning, puzzles etc.  Do you do this regularly and if so do you think it helps your writing practice? Do you think writing in ways that are not the norm for you could also provide brain training? 

Interested in how brain training and writing correlate.

2. rickzimmerman profile image79
    rickzimmermanposted 4 years ago

Christin: Yes, I do undertake a variety of brain exercises. First, my business demands a lot of reading and high-end verbal interaction with professionals. Second, I read voraciously: mysteries, histories, science, humor, and so on. Third, I compete in trivia contests and visit the Sporcle website of quizzes, games and trivia. Fourth, I write about all sorts of topics that interest me: architecture, sustainable design, humor. My writing has markedly improved since I started writing online four years ago. Fifth, I occasionally check in at Lumosity, for further brain stretching.

3. mintinfo profile image72
    mintinfoposted 4 years ago

I do a dohgon flux count from 0 to 100 interchanging every 9 and 8 on my way up and 7 and 6 on my way back down from 100 to 0. All in less than 35 seconds

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,8,10,11.....19,18,20 and so on. This is designed to strengthen the communication between the two brain hemispheres. I also do this more slowly as a form of meditation at night before bed.

4. liesl5858 profile image86
    liesl5858posted 4 years ago

As I got older, I am becoming forgetful and not very good and doubting my spelling all the time. I used to spell very well when I was younger but now I find myself wondering whether I spelt a word right or wrong. Strange but true, so I started playing my favourite game(Scrabble) with friends on facebook. And I also joined the WebAnswers website - answering questions because I don't use my brain at work very much. I find writing, scrabble and answering questions on the web helps me think and hopefully exercise my brain.

5. beth811 profile image81
    beth811posted 4 years ago

I do sudoku, logic, and crosswords daily. Sudoku and logic puzzles stimulate your brain to think logically and strategically. Crossword puzzles help you build up  your vocabulary to enhance your writing skill.